Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Let's break the stigma of mental illness together, We exist, we are here and we want to be respected
Gryphaena
post Jul 3 2015, 03:58 PM
Post #1

She Who Can Be Voracious
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 79 103

My Purple Ones

So I know according to the National Association of Mental Illness 1 out of 4 Americans are diagnosed with a mental illness, whether it be an anxiety disorder, bipolar disorder, depression, schizophrenia or any of the others.

I don't know what the statistics are for other countries. Perhaps international members can educate me?

I hope this can be a place where we can be brave enough to share our stories and support each other.

Usually we are only talked about if there's been a mass shooting or when people use the terms "crazy".

We are people, we have feelings and many of us just need some support. Whether it be therapy or medication or a combination. Or something completely different that works for us.

I am living with depression with psychotic features and I manage it with Latuda.

I have had one psychotic episode in my life and it happened when I was 24.

I was in the hospital for a week.

I am now back in school and volunteering.

I also see a therapist and psychiatrist to monitor my progress.

I also attend art therapy and social skills group.

I am still working on becoming more independent.

I am learning to not be a perfectionist and forgive myself.

--------------------
Avatar by Cycloneblaze at Cycloneshop II

GPX+GPX+

Poliwager Poliwager
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Emmagurd
post Jul 4 2015, 02:12 PM
Post #2

Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo Mamo
Group Icon

Member No.: 36 116

Mamolicious

The statistics are the same here in the UK. 1 in 4 will suffer some sort of mental healthy illness in the course of a year.

Talking about it really does help, although I know this is difficult, as I suffer with periods of anxiety myself. It seems to have gotten worse over the past couple of years. I work in retail, and I used to be completely comfortable dealing with the public. Nowadays, I hate it and it makes me feel so... awkward?

I, too, suffer with depression, although my doctors like to fob with off with "you're just having a bad day."

I tried to kill myself earlier on in the year. But, you know, it was "just a bad day". I'm doing okay now, though. I have my fiancé and he is the best thing. Can't believe I really was going to leave him. Silly of me, really.

I am proud of you Gryphaena, and I believe you can beat your mental health illnesses ^^

--------------------

I do gaming videos! grin.gif Please have a look!
Emmagurd's Youtube

My fiancé does gaming videos for Minecraft, PVK and other stuff! Please take a look! grin.gif
DavidiansLair's Youtube

Made by Bonnie Clyde

+Quote Post

Gryphaena
post Jul 4 2015, 02:18 PM
Post #3

She Who Can Be Voracious
Group Icon

My Purple Ones

QUOTE(Emmagurd @ Jul 4 2015, 12:12 PM) *
The statistics are the same here in the UK. 1 in 4 will suffer some sort of mental healthy illness in the course of a year.

Talking about it really does help, although I know this is difficult, as I suffer with periods of anxiety myself. It seems to have gotten worse over the past couple of years. I work in retail, and I used to be completely comfortable dealing with the public. Nowadays, I hate it and it makes me feel so... awkward?

I, too, suffer with depression, although my doctors like to fob with off with "you're just having a bad day."

I tried to kill myself earlier on in the year. But, you know, it was "just a bad day". I'm doing okay now, though. I have my fiancé and he is the best thing. Can't believe I really was going to leave him. Silly of me, really.

I am proud of you Gryphaena, and I believe you can beat your mental health illnesses ^^

I am proud of you too, Emmagurd, for progressing past your dark moments and finding luck in love. :]

I think you can beat your anxiety and depression as well.

--------------------

GPX+GPX+

Poliwager Poliwager
+Quote Post

themightyfall
post Jul 8 2015, 11:12 PM
Post #4

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 130 734

Active Squad

I suffer from depression, anxiety, and PTSD. A lot of the time I just feel like there is nothing to do. But that doesn't make me lazy like a lot of people think. I'm just too tired or lack motivation to do anything. Stigma for mental illness is just so bad and a lot of people don't even try to understand it.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Gryphaena
post Jul 8 2015, 11:27 PM
Post #5

She Who Can Be Voracious
Group Icon

My Purple Ones

Yeah, sometimes my motivation wanes and it's like I have to exercise my willpower to do what i need to.

--------------------

GPX+GPX+

Poliwager Poliwager
+Quote Post

Gryphaena
post Jul 28 2015, 12:22 PM
Post #6

She Who Can Be Voracious
Group Icon

My Purple Ones

Are there any motivational or inspiring songs you guys like?

I like Switchfoot's "Dare You to Move" and "The Middle" by Jimmy Eat World.

If they're supposed to be ironic or cynical and i never caught it, oh well.

--------------------

GPX+GPX+

Poliwager Poliwager
+Quote Post

Gryphaena
post Sep 4 2015, 11:37 PM
Post #7

She Who Can Be Voracious
Group Icon

My Purple Ones

So on August 25 of this year there was the first National March for Mental Health Dignity in the United States.

http://themighty.com/2015/08/16-voices-fro...health-dignity/

I am curious if there have ever been anything similar in other countries.

Edit: In the "turning your illness into something awesome" category: http://themighty.com/2015/08/how-this-woma...f-love-letters/

This post has been edited by Gryphaena: Sep 4 2015, 11:39 PM

--------------------

GPX+GPX+

Poliwager Poliwager
+Quote Post

Naixatloz
post Sep 8 2015, 02:40 PM
Post #8

A-set, you bet!
Group Icon

Member No.: 56 857

I suffer from... a lot of things. Most prominently depression, anxiety, and PTSD. I'm also autistic, but I consider that somewhat of a separate issue.

I dunno. It's hard.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Toxxik
post Sep 8 2015, 07:56 PM
Post #9

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 234 889

Active Squad

I suffer alot too and have had alot of dark moments and I still face those everyday its hard being a page long list of diagnoses most doctors won't even touch my case and others have threw up their hands in frustation with how many different things I am and then sometimes the weirdest question I get asked is how did you survive it all? how the heck am I supposed to know
+Quote Post

Backflip Dracula
post Oct 1 2015, 09:41 AM
Post #10

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 23 019

Active Squad

Hello! I'm Archer, and I have... a bunch of stuff. Depression (tho not as bad now as it used to be thankfully!), general anxiety, severe social anxiety, OCD, ADD/ADHD, and possibly cyclothymia (mild form of bipolar). I've come a long way on some of these things compared to how I was fresh out of high school 5 years ago, and let me tell you -- high school was absolutely hell in the last stretch bc of brain stuff and I nearly didn't graduate -- but it's still something I will live with for a long time, if not forever.

It's nice to see a thread like this because my mental illness is important to me and my identity. I wish you all the best, as well.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Gryphaena
post Oct 2 2015, 04:58 PM
Post #11

She Who Can Be Voracious
Group Icon

My Purple Ones

I'm glad there are people using my thread. :]

Do you guys have any local resources you can use to go to school or get a job?

I'm fortunate.

I've been volunteering at the local Botanic Garden since February and applied for a job there.

I got hired Tuesday so I probably won't be around this site much anymore.

--------------------

GPX+GPX+

Poliwager Poliwager
+Quote Post

Backflip Dracula
post Oct 3 2015, 07:55 AM
Post #12

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 23 019

Active Squad

QUOTE(Gryphaena @ Oct 2 2015, 05:58 PM) *
I'm glad there are people using my thread. :]

Do you guys have any local resources you can use to go to school or get a job?

I'm fortunate.

I've been volunteering at the local Botanic Garden since February and applied for a job there.

I got hired Tuesday so I probably won't be around this site much anymore.

I was going to seek out an employment agency of some sort to maybe find temp work, but recently a grocery store I applied to called me back and I ended up getting hired. Thankfully most of my coworkers are kind and friendly, and some can even relate to stuff I experience. So I'm thankful for that. Been working there for a couple of weeks now and I think it's helping my social anxiety some!

I hope your new job treats you well! Take care happy.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

Naixatloz
post Oct 5 2015, 09:38 AM
Post #13

A-set, you bet!
Group Icon

Member No.: 56 857

I'm working with my local Division of Vocational Rehabilitation to find a job, and they're also providing me with resources to get through school.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Aragarthiel
post Oct 16 2015, 03:17 PM
Post #14

GPX's resident Arcanine fan
Group Icon

Member No.: 97 889

My Favehs

I was diagnosed as bipolar when I was fourteen, though I suspect that was incorrect since those issues cleared up the moment I moved away from my toxic grandmother. I've never been officially diagnosed with anything else but I have severe anxiety issues and struggled with depression for most of my teenage years. I also have something called Resistant Eating Disorder, which is similar to picky eating but much more extreme in that even though I want to try foods, I often gag at just the thought of it (for example, I'd love to learn to like steak, but any slab of meat whether it be ham, turkey, or steak makes me want to puke). Fortunately, I'm working on it, veggies are more tolerable to me when put on things like tacos or subs and I'm better able to try new foods.

I think my biggest issue is that as someone with mental health problems, everything I do is chalked up to "you're crazy." If I'm woken up after only three hours of sleep and snap at someone, I need to "get over it." If I tell someone not to get mushrooms on a pizza, I'm told I need to try new things (mushrooms are one of the foods I just don't like, they don't make me gag). There's a difference between having an issue and being an issue and people like so much to make it the latter.

I know my anxiety's going to become an issue when I get out of college and start looking for jobs. I simply can't project the kind of confidence needed to get a job, and mental health services in my area are incredibly lacking. I actually chose a field where I won't have to interact with the public very much just so I'll be able to function.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Mars Adept Enten
post Oct 22 2015, 01:25 PM
Post #15

Certified Psychotic Isaac Fangirl and Legendary Dogs Enthusiast
Group Icon

Member No.: 18 522

GS Crew

I actually have ADHD and autism, but thanks to my meds, I'm much better than I used to be. I used to beat up other kids for teasing me, and other such stuff. And I had to deal with rather lax school staff unwilling to do anything about my issues. I ended up being homeschooled before being reintegrated back into the public school system, which didn't really end up all that much better than it was before my homechooling. sad.gif But the Internet and a support group near where I live have made me much more social and outgoing. I think the Internet has helped as it doesn't rely entirely upon facial contact, which I tend to have trouble with. I also have a nice psychologist who has helped me deal with my issues for a long time (although now he's on indefinite hiatus thanks to some arthritis, so I'm seeing a new psychologist who's equally as nice.)

--------------------
I'm also known as Queen_Lugia on SPPf, and Queen-Articuno on dA, as well as a former aspiring trinketer on GPX+, a proud TheRunawayGuys fangirl, a proud participant of Extra Life, and proud supporter of TwitchPlaysPokemon.

I claimed Isaac from Golden Sun. Hands off mah bishie! tongue.gif And Capt. Linebeck, too!

Follow Isaac-kun to get to my party. I appreciate and try to return clickbacks! happy.gif

Thanks, xJesstheMess!

My shop! I appreciate requests! cat.gif

Entei stuff! (click to show)

Other stuff... (click to show)

Credit to: (click to show)
+Quote Post

Gryphaena
post Nov 8 2015, 10:12 AM
Post #16

She Who Can Be Voracious
Group Icon

My Purple Ones

Oh, I realized I forgot to mention that I am on the autism spectrum as well.

Too bad I didn't get diagnosed before I turned 18 or I could have had help from our Regional Center.

I'll still be around a bit, checking in once a week.

I hope everyone is all right. :]

--------------------

GPX+GPX+

Poliwager Poliwager
+Quote Post

Gryphaena
post Dec 2 2015, 10:04 PM
Post #17

She Who Can Be Voracious
Group Icon

My Purple Ones

So the director of my local Regional Center blamed the shooting at another Californian Regional Center on mental illness.

Here are some mental illness facts to counteract his unfortunate ignorance.

http://www.mentalhealth.gov/basics/myths-facts/

--------------------

GPX+GPX+

Poliwager Poliwager
+Quote Post

Gryphaena
post Dec 30 2015, 04:32 PM
Post #18

She Who Can Be Voracious
Group Icon

My Purple Ones

I hope no one is feeling lots of stress from the holidays!

I was feeling some stress on Christmas Eve which resulted in the jaw pain I get before sleeping.

Would any of you like to share how your stress exhibits itself in your body?

--------------------

GPX+GPX+

Poliwager Poliwager
+Quote Post

Aragarthiel
post Dec 30 2015, 09:28 PM
Post #19

GPX's resident Arcanine fan
Group Icon

Member No.: 97 889

My Favehs

I get tired a lot. I suspect my mental health issues are the reason I tend to need 10-12 hours of sleep a night, and sometimes even then I still need coffee. If I've been crying a lot I get insane pressure headaches from my eyes that last for a couple days, and those make me want to sleep too.

I came over here mostly to talk about a friend of mine. I've known him for going on ten years, and he's been the best support I could ask for. When I started dating my husband he knew I was in therapy but now, five years later, he chalks everything up to me being crazy. I'm planning on leaving him when I get the chance, but for now my sanity is being saved by that friend of mine.

I nearly had a breakdown a few nights ago. I was feeling particularly worthless, and he stayed up late to talk to me and keep it from turning into a full breakdown. It ended with mixed results but I realized, I wish everyone with any sort of mental health problem could have a friend like him. He doesn't make me feel crazy, which is the really great thing. People like that are so rare. It's so easy to assume that everything I do has a basis in my anxiety, depression, or whatever other issues someone thinks I have. Instead, he talked to me like a person. I can't remember the last time I was that close to a breakdown and wasn't told to either "get over it" or "suck it up."

--------------------
+Quote Post

Gryphaena
post Dec 30 2015, 10:33 PM
Post #20

She Who Can Be Voracious
Group Icon

My Purple Ones

@Ara: It's great that you have a true friend there. :]

My support is my family right now, although my dad once made a jab at my autism which didn't feel very nice.

--------------------

GPX+GPX+

Poliwager Poliwager
+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:48 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.