Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Reply to this topicStart new topic
OU Tournament Team, Weavile hey look I read the rules
Naegi Makoto
post May 19 2009, 10:18 PM
Post #1

Super High-School Level Luck
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 12 609

Platinum Team

Not new to competitive battling (obviously, I wouldn't be entering a tourney if I was) but would like some tips brushing stuff up. Playing with Evasion Clause, Sleep Clause, Legal Clause, OHKO Clause, Self-KO Clause, Uber Clause, and Soul Dew Clause. Not that any of these really apply to this team.

Bronzong @ Leftovers

Sassy Nature
Levitate

252 HP / 86 Atk / 80 Def / 92 SpD

Gyro Ball
Stealth Rock
Reflect
Earthquake

SR Lead. Absorbs hits like a pro and can't really be OHKOed by anything he'll run into. Sassy (and I'm pretty sure his Speed IV is 0) to up Gyro Ball's power, and to make him tank. He's a really good wall, I've tested him out before. Most likely when someone sees him they'll switch to something that could be called a counter, leaving him to set up Reflect in peace and since he can't really be OHKOed, Stealth Rock as well. I considered Explosion over Earthquake, but I'm not a huge fan of Suicide Leads and Earthquake has some nice power behind it.

Gardevoir @ Lum Berry

Timid Nature
Synchronize

4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spd

Will-O-Wisp
Confuse Ray
Psychic
Thunderbolt

As soon as they've killed the Bronzong, out comes status Gardevoir to wreak merry havoc on them. I've had friends who give me a flat 'you're kidding me' after pulling this guy out. Synchronize was on purpose, yes, as it can absorb a status thrown at it, Sync it back onto the opponent, and then cure itself with the Lum Berry, just to be a tool. Will-O-Wisp cripples any physical attackers Bronzong didn't totally murder, and Confuse Ray hits everything regardless of type. Psychic and Thunderbolt for good status moves and that nice SpA. Oh, and if Bronzong was slow, this thing is the definition of fast. I have seen it move second maybe once.

Gallade @ Expert Belt

Adamant Nature
Steadfast

64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spd

Swords Dance
Night Slash
Close Combat
Psycho Cut

Is he like in love with psychic types? Well, no. Bronzong doesn't share any weaknesses with the GG combo, which only share a weakness to Ghost. Gallade is my main physical sweeper, and he's a good one. Night Slash is there instead of Stone Edge because SE has lousy accuracy, but otherwise this set is relatively standard. I will say that an Expert Belt STAB Close Combat hurts anything weak to it and a Swords Dance STAB Close Combat hurts pretty much anything regardless. Fighting/Dark/Psychic is a pretty damn good type coverage combo too, not resisted by anything and able to deal super effective damage to a heck of a lot.

Glaceon @ Silk Scarf

Modest Nature
Snow Cloak

128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spd

Fake Tears
Ice Beam
Hidden Power Ground
Hyper Beam

Wait what? Yes, Hyper Beam, although cursed with recharge, is more of a last ditch superpowered effort than anything. Again, it hits pretty much anything for neutral (except, in this case, Shedinja, but since it's the only thing on my team that can't kill a Shedinja somehow I'll let it slide). I've been thinking about replacing the Silk Scarf with Wise Glasses for overall special coverage. It's a pretty beastly special sweeper and has taken down quite a bit in its time, especially after Bronzong and Gardevoir clear out pretty much anything threatening to it.

Or this Glaceon:

Focus Sash

Quiet Nature
Snow Cloak

252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD

Shadow Ball
Icy Wind
Mirror Coat
Water Pulse

I've been using this one longer, though as you can see I've opted for icy Wind. Why? Well, Glaceon's speed sucks. A lot. Especially this one's, since it's Quiet. It can hit Shedinja, and what's more Water Pulse gives it type coverage that can be good for prediction. What's more, since people know it has a weak SpD, special attacks fly at it relatively quickly and Mirror Coat with Focus Sash can be an unpleasant surprise if I pull it off correctly (tend to have in the past). The only problem is that Shadow Ball is the strongest base power move here, which is why I tend to use the other one more in auto-level battles.

Flareon @ Quick Claw

Adamant Nature
Flash Fire

76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spd

Fire Fang
Bite
Rock Smash
Return

...huh? Yeah, I like Flareon, shut up. This is a bit of a flinch set, but Flareon is too slow in general to pull off that, so it needs at shot at it with the Quick Claw (or else you can bet it'd be holding a King's Rock.) It can also switch in on Fire attacks for a boost, or special attacks in general. The Spd EVs are there so it can outspeed slower stuff and late-game stallers, causing them to be unable to set up. Return is there for sheer power and because it's the strongest physical move Flareon gets access to, poor guy. Oh, apropos of nothing, mine is actually a girl and also shiny.

Lanturn @ Leftovers

Calm Nature
Volt Absorb

252 HP / 136 SpA / 120 SpD

Aqua Ring
Discharge
Surf
Confuse Ray

Special sponge. Lanturn is basically there to annoy the hell out of anyone with the impudence to still be alive. Discharge gives some nice Parafusion in combination with Confuse Ray, and that tanky HP and Leftovers (nope, no item clause!) has been known to make people verrrrry frustrated. Coupled with the fact that he can be switched into predicted electric attacks and absorb them for more health, not to mention getting an Aqua Ring...yeah, this one is mean. I usually use him in doubles with my Dig Flygon, who can hide from Surf and resists Discharge, but he works here too.

Now, my main problems as I see them are a weakness to Ground and Rock, and the lack of an all-team healer with Wish or something. However, Gallade and Bronzong both resist Ground and Rock, and Lanturn will tank a hit from and KO most of them, so the first part isn't a huge issue. Gallade can handle Ghosts, too, despite being weak to them, and a Sucker Punch or Shadow Sneak isn't going to stop these guys in their tracks. I'm probably not switching out any of the Pokemon (tourney starts in two or three days) but any help on their sets/spreads would be helpful.

--------------------

Now breeding for Eiscue and (Snowy) Girafarig!
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

sevydude
post May 21 2009, 05:57 AM
Post #2

Altaria master
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 17 854

UU Team FTW!!

QUOTE(Mist Wanderer @ May 20 2009, 05:18 AM) *
Adamant Nature
Flash Fire

76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spd

Fire Fang
Bite
Superpower
Return

...huh? Yeah, I like Flareon, shut up. This is a bit of a flinch set, but Flareon is too slow in general to pull off that, so it needs at shot at it with the Quick Claw (or else you can bet it'd be holding a King's Rock.) It can also switch in on Fire attacks for a boost, or special attacks in general. The Spd EVs are there so it can outspeed slower stuff and late-game stallers, causing them to be unable to set up. Return is there for sheer power and because it's the strongest physical move Flareon gets access to, poor guy. Oh, apropos of nothing, mine is actually a girl and also shiny.

WRONG! Flareons strongest move is superpower, so you might want to replace rock smash with it

This post has been edited by sevydude: May 21 2009, 05:57 AM

--------------------
Pres Alt+F4 to make me shut up
I'm from belgium, so ofcourse i'm making typos, sorry for that happy.gif
Team Daycare

I only click back if you click my entire party

Credits to Skiyomi from SPPF for the awesome banner!
+Quote Post

Naegi Makoto
post May 21 2009, 07:08 PM
Post #3

Super High-School Level Luck
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 12 609

Platinum Team

I have Diamond, not Platinum. So yes, yes it is.

--------------------

Now breeding for Eiscue and (Snowy) Girafarig!
+Quote Post

sevydude
post May 23 2009, 06:18 AM
Post #4

Altaria master
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 17 854

UU Team FTW!!

Seriously, what is Rock Smash for? it wont be OHKOing many opponets, and Flareon is so fragile it wont last long to 2HKO or 3HKO, replace it with yawn then, for when you can predict a switch. And quick claw is banned.

--------------------
Pres Alt+F4 to make me shut up
I'm from belgium, so ofcourse i'm making typos, sorry for that happy.gif
Team Daycare

I only click back if you click my entire party

Credits to Skiyomi from SPPF for the awesome banner!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th June 2024 - 07:23 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.