Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Death Penalty, I'm in America so this is focused there, open debate
May as well have a poll too. What do you think in a yes or no form
Yes or No. No fence straddling in a poll.
Yes [ 29 ]  [55.77%]
No [ 23 ]  [44.23%]
Total Votes: 52
Guests cannot vote 

Balmungmp5
post May 1 2008, 04:09 PM
Post #21

Formerly Darksword
Group Icon

Group: Validating
Member No.: 161

Active Squad

I can see your point where showing people what will happen to them if they do something bad, will make them less likely to do crime.

The other side of that though is that probably not many people would want to watch it so it would be kind of hard to spread the image. With the French Revolution and the witch trials and everything, It was done in the middle of town immediately drawing everyones attention and causing fear.

I'm not gonna say what you think is wrong but you should iron out the kinks...

personally I'm leaning on the side of a stricter death penalty due to the fact that life in prison is a waste of space and money. It may be inhumane to just get rid of them but hey if they don't agree to the laws then hey, it's their personal decision and they know the consequences of their actions.

If a criminal has apprehension about killing somebody I think they would have more if they knew they were gonna die. (of course it may not be true in all situations what with the crazies out there)

--------------------

I claim Scizor
also don't pm me and ask me to trade if you don't have anything in mind.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post May 1 2008, 04:10 PM
Post #22

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

I thought you lived in America.
He lives in Canada.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Big Bidoof
post May 1 2008, 05:15 PM
Post #23

Watching YOU
Group Icon

Group: Root Administrators
Member No.: 1

Active Squad

I thought you lived in America. Nevermind, that isn't important, what I want to know is what the crime rate is and what kind of government you have. Democracy? Dictatorship? Monarchy? What is your crime rate? murder rate specifically.

I live in the Monarchy of Canada, kthx.

So you would have the family of 5 innocent victims suffer over that of a murderer

They'll suffer regardless of whether the murderer rots away in prison for 50 years or he dies, unless they're a bunch of sadistic fucks who take joy in putting others to death, which really doesn't make them much different from the murderer himself, now does it?

would you put him in jail for him to kill (mostly, at least more so than the murderer I shall call bob) What about when he gets out? Did you know the average time spent in jail (in I think America, it might just be Florida though) is TWO YEARS!!! so Bob gets out in two years and goes and makes 5, 10 15 maybe even 50 innocent peoples families suffer the death of their loved ones and have Bob alive and capable of continuing murdering people?

The average of two years is probably stuff like shoplifting, or whatever. Obviously something like murder would merit a longer sentence.

I think I talked about this, maybe not here, nevermind. In firing squads they would give ten or fifteen men guns and load all of them with blanks except three or four of them, which had live bullets in them, this way nobody would know if they had been the one who had killed Bob. Leaving their consciences (mostly) unaffected. This could be done with a guillotine with 5 people and 5 levers, the ropes hidden from view so nobody knows who dropped the blade, 5 or 10 switches for the electric chair, etc. etc.

So then, what you're saying is killing another person is okay, so long as nobody knows you did it? Interesting...

they went overboard though, thats like saying you feel bad about dropping your computrer out the window because it wasn't working right, then feeling bad about it. Whats done is done it doesn't make all computers taboo now does it? they're a great idea, you just went overboard (I have no clue, it's just an example I made up)

Actually, what I was getting at is they realised that the guillotine was so barbaric that they've outlawed its very image.

--------------------
"Java is to JavaScript as ham is to hamster."

+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post May 1 2008, 05:32 PM
Post #24

Group Icon

Active Squad

BaS, I'm curious to hear an argument against one of my earlier points.

Capital Punishment should, imo, only be for repeat offenses and if the person in question is 100% guaranteed to have committed a SERIOUS crime. Because you can undo jail time; you can't undo death. Repeat offenses only applying to serious crimes such as murder, etc. Repeat offenses for minor shoplifting don't deserve it.

Capital Punishment shouldn't be handed out lightly, is what I'm saying.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Big Bidoof
post May 1 2008, 06:02 PM
Post #25

Watching YOU
Group Icon

Group: Root Administrators
Member No.: 1

Active Squad

QUOTE(Ike @ May 1 2008, 06:32 PM) *
BaS, I'm curious to hear an argument against one of my earlier points.

Capital Punishment should, imo, only be for repeat offenses and if the person in question is 100% guaranteed to have committed a SERIOUS crime. Because you can undo jail time; you can't undo death. Repeat offenses only applying to serious crimes such as murder, etc. Repeat offenses for minor shoplifting don't deserve it.

Capital Punishment shouldn't be handed out lightly, is what I'm saying.

My first post still applies to this, really. People still have their right to live, and so on. Just lock 'em up and throw away the key.

--------------------
"Java is to JavaScript as ham is to hamster."

+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post May 1 2008, 06:49 PM
Post #26

Group Icon

Active Squad

Odds are some of these people are smart enough to break out. I'm not taking that risk.

EDIT: The "some" I'm referring to are the people that are probably going to be receiving the death penalty in the first place - the cold, calculating sociopaths who kill for pleasure or whatever the hell they feel.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Blax8192
post May 2 2008, 03:34 PM
Post #27

Never turn down a really good pie...
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 961

Active Squad

QUOTE(Balmungmp5 @ May 1 2008, 05:09 PM) *
If a criminal has apprehension about killing somebody I think they would have more if they knew they were gonna die. (of course it may not be true in all situations what with the crazies out there)

getting rid of the crazies would make a good start then

So you would have the family of 5 innocent victims suffer over that of a murderer

They'll suffer regardless of whether the murderer rots away in prison for 50 years or he dies, unless they're a bunch of sadistic fucks who take joy in putting others to death, which really doesn't make them much different from the murderer himself, now does it?

I'm talking about prevention. think of the families that WON'T have to suffer because Bob was executed before he got to their families

The average of two years is probably stuff like shoplifting, or whatever. Obviously something like murder would merit a longer sentence.

and no, I meant for murder, as in killing somebody.

a longer sentence locked up with people who committed petty crimes where he will scar them for life or whatever, buttrape them, kill them, any of that stuff?

So then, what you're saying is killing another person is okay, so long as nobody knows you did it? Interesting...

I'm saying no one person would have to suffer the personal guilt of knowing they killed the murderer, assuming they would feel guilt about dispatching a threat to the rest of the humans who obey the laws set to keep peace and prevent us from becoming a bunch of overpopulated animals

Actually, what I was getting at is they realised that the guillotine was so barbaric that they've outlawed its very image.

The guillotine is an excellent idea and possibly one of the quickest ways to execute somebody, and watching the head roll served as a warning that you better not get accused of as being a witch or this'll happen to you (in this case it would be murder, arson, both, etc. whatever is bad enough to deserve death)

QUOTE(BidoofsAreSassy @ May 1 2008, 07:02 PM) *
People still have their right to live, and so on. Just lock 'em up and throw away the key.

and give them free food and shelter and excercise and family visits and petty criminals to buttrape for the rest of their life? In my eyes, as soon as they intentionally kill somebody they lose their right to live.[/sad but true]

QUOTE(Ike @ May 1 2008, 07:49 PM) *
Odds are some of these people are smart enough to break out. I'm not taking that risk.

and the ones that are smart enough to break out are some of the worst.

sorry about the green text if it's hard to read in that last post, It was so you could see what I wrote.

This post has been edited by Blax8192: May 2 2008, 03:39 PM

--------------------
These are my Topics which you should read, but probably won't (click to showhide)
=mine
A glimpse into my mind(by clicking you are signing a waiver on your sanity) (click to showhide)
(\_/)
\(n.n)/
(")_(")
this is evil bunny, copy and paste him into your sig and help him keep bunny from taking over the world!!!
I didn't want to put this in tags but the length was bugging me . . . just open it (click to showhide)
+Quote Post

Vivimage
post Dec 10 2008, 01:03 PM
Post #28

Leader of Team Eon
Group Icon

Member No.: 3 174

Team Eon

I agree with the Death Penalty to a certain degree. If it's the sentence given because of a mass murder (I.e. The Oklahoma City bombing), an attack on a political leader (John F. Kennedy for example), or even the death of a government official (Cop, Paramedic, Fireman), then I'm totally fine with it. Personally, I think even Rapists and Child Molesters should get the chair, but that's just one man's opinion.

--------------------
My Badges (click to show)

Team Eon

Pokemon HeartGold Friend Code: 5414 2429 2824

+Quote Post

Andre Young
post Dec 10 2008, 04:45 PM
Post #29

Formerly Fidel Castro.
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1 850

Active Squad

I'm just gonna do a quick little input thingy here.
I belive that the death penalty is pretty goddamned hypocritical. What makes the executioner any better than the person they're killing? Everyone who has ever executed someone or sentinced them to death should be killed as well. They're just as guilty of murder as the murderer. I think that killing someone is perfectly fine, as long as it's within reason. Senseless killing doesn't happen ever. I could think up a million excuses. For example: Humans are overpopulating the world, we need to bump some off. I'm personally against selling drugs that help obese people stay alive. Obese people SHOULD die or get in shape. If someone couldn't survive for more than a day in a jungle, they shouldn't be allowed to live. It's disgusting and bad for everyone.
But I don't think that death penalties make sense or should even happen. You want someone to stop killing? either lock them away forever or pop a cap in their ass.
I doubt that anyone in their right minds would think that the way we do the death penalty is a good idea, and anyone that thinks that publicizing it will make crime go down is a complete dumbass. I'm sorry, but I tell it like it is.

Quick Little Add-on: Jesus, blax. "The guillotine is an excellent idea and possibly one of the quickest ways to execute somebody, and watching the head roll served as a warning that you better not get accused of as being a witch or this'll happen to you." seriously?
Do you think that being accused to being a witch is someone's fucking DECISION? please! The whole witch shit was just used as a lame excuse to kill random women because someone didn't like them. You should really THINK about shit before you go sounding like a homocidal maniac.

This post has been edited by Fidel Castro: Dec 10 2008, 04:50 PM
+Quote Post

Devolocy
post Dec 10 2008, 05:31 PM
Post #30

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 3 274

Future Platinum Team

Just gonna throw in a quick post. (I hate debating, I don't even know why I'm reading this.)

The death penalty should be applied to whoever thinks taking death itself into their own hands. What i mean by this is, if you kill someone and they had no intention of killing you, you should be put to death. If they had the intention of hurting you, killing them is not an acceptable solution. Life is God's territory and nobody should trespass into it. I know I sound hypocritical, but killing a murderer is not taking away a human life, it's the equivalent of killing a gnat or a fly. Killing a murderer is not the same thing as a murderer killing a civilian. They, the murderer, may appear human and may even act human, but a murderer is scum and deserves death. I'll agree that, yes, it may be barbaric, but they have no place on this earth. /rant

Oh and one more thing, to whoever posted this earlier, if my murderer brother/father/mother/sister/great aunt was executed, I'd have no qualms. They knew what they were getting themselves into. I'd still love them, but they took a life and I wouldn't be on their side any longer. I'd grieve more for the family who lost, than for myself. Me? I didn't lose a family member when they were executed. I lost one when they decided to take another's life.

That post may be horribly put together, but I got my ideas on the matter out. I won't be making a habit of frequenting this part of the forums.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Dec 10 2008, 06:48 PM
Post #31

Group Icon

Active Squad

I belive that the death penalty is pretty goddamned hypocritical. What makes the executioner any better than the person they're killing? Everyone who has ever executed someone or sentinced them to death should be killed as well. They're just as guilty of murder as the murderer.
This is pretty much irrelevant when you consider the upsides to the death penalty. It keeps the guilty off the streets, preventing them from going for more; hell, I even think it's more cost efficient to just kill them off especially in a time of depression today.

I think that killing someone is perfectly fine, as long as it's within reason.
Yeah, like arresting a mass murderer and killing him for attacking and killing innocent people in their own homes.

Senseless killing doesn't happen ever. I could think up a million excuses. For example: Humans are overpopulating the world, we need to bump some off.
... what?

If someone couldn't survive for more than a day in a jungle, they shouldn't be allowed to live.
Tell you what, I'll take you to the jungle and see if you survive. k

You want someone to stop killing? either lock them away forever or pop a cap in their ass.
Locking them away forever is better than killing them? It's not as cost efficient and either way you're not allowed to live, in the former case not very well (although prisons get fed three meals a day and such now, what the hell kind of punishment is that?) Popping a cap in their ass is something I'm too lazy to argue.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Dazmi
post Dec 10 2008, 08:29 PM
Post #32

Veteran
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 2 482

Active Squad

I feel strongly about this myself.

I think you shouldn't sentence a person to die or be hanged, even in the most extreme cases.
If we're talking about a human life, time and money isn't really a huge concern, at least not for me.

Murderers for example. I know they're taking peoples lives themselves, but it doesn't mean they always will, and even if they kill again, I still don't think they should be killed off.
There is a chance that they can still learn their lesson.

That's just my opinion.

Sorry, but I don't feel like debating about it sweat.gif
Feel free to tell me off anyways.

This post has been edited by johnrichard1991: Dec 10 2008, 08:48 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Dec 10 2008, 08:46 PM
Post #33

Group Icon

Active Squad

There's a chance, but are you willing to take that chance? If you're 100% sure he's committed the crime (notably, murder to the first degree) then you wouldn't just want this man behind bars (especially if he went after a loved one). You want him eliminated completely before he gets to you.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Dazmi
post Dec 10 2008, 08:49 PM
Post #34

Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 482

Active Squad

QUOTE(Nathan Graves @ Dec 10 2008, 07:46 PM) *
There's a chance, but are you willing to take that chance? If you're 100% sure he's committed the crime (notably, murder to the first degree) then you wouldn't just want this man behind bars (especially if he went after a loved one). You want him eliminated completely before he gets to you.

I guess I'm a strange person because I would just want this guy, or girl behind bars.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Dec 10 2008, 08:50 PM
Post #35

Group Icon

Active Squad

Probably not, not everyone agrees to the forced ending of another human life.

--------------------
+Quote Post

DJSanders
post Dec 11 2008, 06:59 AM
Post #36

PANE
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 096

PANE

They do need to telivise exucutions it is something that wouldv'e been done it people had telivisons back in the day. If some scum wants to erase someones life off the planet the that mutherfucker can die himself. We need to be like Texas!!!Eevery one is putting death row on hold and Texas is making an expres lane! And that is how it should be. Texas dont put up with no shit and you dont see many gangs in Texas do you? Because they scared to die!!! GO FUCKIN TEXAS

--------------------
Btw! I am Saved of Grace aka The Sexy DJSanders aka Ying Yang.. You all know me I'm not new

Click!

+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Dec 11 2008, 02:47 PM
Post #37

Group Icon

Active Squad

They don't need to televise executions, especially if the person requests it be private. At least let them die with dignity, instead of in front of the rest of the nation.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Flamer
post Dec 11 2008, 04:09 PM
Post #38

Insert whitty phrase here
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 757

Faves

This may be a little naive, but surely killing someone who killed some else makes you as bad as them. Also, I know this only rarley happens, but innocent people are sometimes killed for things they didn't do. The thought of that doesn't even bare thinking about.

I'm not saying these disgusting people don't deserved to be punished for what they do, but I just think it shouldn't really be up to anyone to decide who lives and who dies.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Andre Young
post Dec 11 2008, 06:40 PM
Post #39

Formerly Fidel Castro.
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1 850

Active Squad

Ok, here's my final input.

The death penalty shouldn't be used so lightly. It also makes no sense whatsoever, killing someone because they killed someone has some serious logic issues.
There are many good reasons for killing someone, which means: Only people who killed for absolutley no reason whatsoever should even be considered being given the death penalty.

Nathan Graves: I might not live to get out of the jungle, but I sure as hell would live for one day. If you're too fat, weak, and lazy to live for even ONE DAY in the jungle, you don't deserve to live. It's how natural life should be.
+Quote Post

TQQ
post Dec 12 2008, 12:40 AM
Post #40

Justin
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 244

Active Squad

QUOTE(Fallen Archangel @ Apr 18 2008, 12:44 PM) *
QUOTE(Cesium @ Apr 18 2008, 12:19 PM) *
Forget capital punishment, let's bring back old fashioned torture. Those bastards need to suffer, not get a one way ticket to 6 feet under, like their victims.

And what justice does that bring?

just felt like inputting:

if you were the father of a man who raped and brutally murdered your 11 year old daughter, would you want to see justice brought to the man? just stew on that one there. it brings alot of closure to families, it makes them feel like justice has been served.

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 06:03 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.