Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Racebending, Serious or Sillyness?
Pokii
post Jul 7 2010, 01:09 AM
Post #21

Adorable Demonic Pinecone
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 2 319

ORAS Team

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANO8kyWgXKs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBP9niW1hQ8

I don't know, you tell me.

--------------------
| | | | |

Make me an avatar!

Spoiler (click to showhide)
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reyo
post Jul 7 2010, 09:58 AM
Post #22

I'm in space...space...spacespace
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 30 281

space team

All I see is a video featuring the voice of some woman going on and on about how Hollywood is trying to push this anti-minority movement through the movie industry without reaslizing that it's just a friggen movie.

--------------------
space...spacespace...wanna go to space...I'm in space...are we in space...I wanna into space, are you space? Uh oh, space police, stay cool. Space..space..space space..ba ba, ba, ba, bababa, ba, ba space. Dad, are you space? Yes, now we can be a family again. Space space...need...space...need a rocket...wanna buy a rocket? It's for space...need one...buy one from space store...space store...space...space...space supplies...space ship...space rocket...rocket..space...soup...space soup...from space cafe...space waiter there's a space fly in my space soup...spacespace....must...

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-
+Quote Post

Pokii
post Jul 7 2010, 05:01 PM
Post #23

Group Icon

ORAS Team

Well then, that's where I'm going to have to draw the line. Not only are you not even trying to see where I'm coming from, but you're just automatically dismissing any point I could make to you as some sort of crazed paranoia. That does not a healthy debate make. However before I draw this to a close (at least for myself) and you go off about how I'm the one who started this, have no idea what I'm talking about, etc. I do want to point out that the post that started this whole damn thing...

QUOTE(Reyo @ Jul 6 2010, 12:54 AM) *
There was a thread about it in the debate section, and the first thing I thought when I read the title of the thread from the General Forum section was "Christ shit not this again". It really is annoying though. There was the same grief in "The Karate Kid" not being "The Kung Fu Kid". I swear, too many people are finding assanine reasons to hate on a movie.

...is a huge overstatement because (1 "The Karate Kid" not being called "The Kung-fu Kid" because they use kung-fu rather than karate and changing the races of the main cast from Avatar: The Last Airbender are two entirely different issues. One is about a name change based on a difference of fighting style, while the other is about the change of race of the main cast of a television show to a movie adaptation. and (2 For at least me personally, the race issue is only one of many factors as to why I would hate this movie. Just saying, I don't like being called stupid because there's one aspect of a movie I don't like, especially when there are even more which are even worse.

Anyway, my point remains that yes: the race thing bothers me. And it doesn't bother you. That's great. I really wish it didn't bother me, but it does. But that doesn't mean you need to start jumping to conclusions that myself or anyone else is trying to pick the movie apart and hate on it just because of that one aspect.

Let me just wrap this up with my final point on the matter being pretty much this (which I borrowed from that other thread):

QUOTE(Pokii @ Jul 7 2010, 04:33 PM) *
I see where you're coming from. You think that people should just look past certain things like this and just go and see movies for their entertainment value regardless. However on the flip side, I'm saying that for something like Avatar: The Last Airbender where the creators put so much effort into creating a unique and interesting world based so steeply in Inuit and different Asian cultures and mythologies, to make the main cast of characters a different race seems to me very unnecessary and downright stupid.

So yeah, it's just a movie. But there's enough in there that they changed that I don't like (which, don't get me wrong, race is only one of the, again, many factors of), to where I'm not going to see this movie.

--------------------
| | | | |

Make me an avatar!

+Quote Post

Reyo
post Jul 7 2010, 08:16 PM
Post #24

Group Icon

space team

QUOTE(Pokii @ Jul 7 2010, 06:01 PM) *
Well then, that's where I'm going to have to draw the line. Not only are you not even trying to see where I'm coming from, but you're just automatically dismissing any point I could make to you as some sort of crazed paranoia. That does not a healthy debate make. However before I draw this to a close (at least for myself) and you go off about how I'm the one who started this, have no idea what I'm talking about, etc. I do want to point out that the post that started this whole damn thing...

Don't go confusing a difference in opinion with being a bigot. He won't accept your opinion within 30 seconds of the debate OH WELL HE'S JUST SOME IGNORANT DOUCHE WHO'S NOT EVEN TRYING!

...is a huge overstatement because (1 "The Karate Kid" not being called "The Kung-fu Kid" because they use kung-fu rather than karate and changing the races of the main cast from Avatar: The Last Airbender are two entirely different issues. One is about a name change based on a difference of fighting style, while the other is about the change of race of the main cast of a television show to a movie adaptation. and (2 For at least me personally, the race issue is only one of many factors as to why I would hate this movie. Just saying, I don't like being called stupid because there's one aspect of a movie I don't like, especially when there are even more which are even worse.

For fuck's sake you still don't get it do you...I'll say it again, I don't give a shit if you hated the movie, but that ONE particular reason is just plain silly.

And yes, the two are comparable since "The Karate Kid is entirely based on the Japanese Martial art of Karate".

Anyway, my point remains that yes: the race thing bothers me. And it doesn't bother you. That's great. I really wish it didn't bother me, but it does. But that doesn't mean you need to start jumping to conclusions that myself or anyone else is trying to pick the movie apart and hate on it just because of that one aspect.

Let me just wrap this up with my final point on the matter being pretty much this (which I borrowed from that other thread):

QUOTE(Pokii @ Jul 7 2010, 04:33 PM) *
I see where you're coming from. You think that people should just look past certain things like this and just go and see movies for their entertainment value regardless. However on the flip side, I'm saying that for something like Avatar: The Last Airbender where the creators put so much effort into creating a unique and interesting world based so steeply in Inuit and different Asian cultures and mythologies, to make the main cast of characters a different race seems to me very unnecessary and downright stupid.

So yeah, it's just a movie. But there's enough in there that they changed that I don't like (which, don't get me wrong, race is only one of the, again, many factors of), to where I'm not going to see this movie.

Ok then, this is more of a personal preference thing. You find it offensive, and I don't. Though the irony in the whole thing still amuses me. Don't go saying "You're just a bigot who won't see it my way".

--------------------
space...spacespace...wanna go to space...I'm in space...are we in space...I wanna into space, are you space? Uh oh, space police, stay cool. Space..space..space space..ba ba, ba, ba, bababa, ba, ba space. Dad, are you space? Yes, now we can be a family again. Space space...need...space...need a rocket...wanna buy a rocket? It's for space...need one...buy one from space store...space store...space...space...space supplies...space ship...space rocket...rocket..space...soup...space soup...from space cafe...space waiter there's a space fly in my space soup...spacespace....must...

+Quote Post

Pokii
post Jul 7 2010, 08:54 PM
Post #25

Group Icon

ORAS Team

QUOTE(Reyo @ Jul 7 2010, 08:16 PM) *
Don't go confusing a difference in opinion with being a bigot. He won't accept your opinion within 30 seconds of the debate OH WELL HE'S JUST SOME IGNORANT DOUCHE WHO'S NOT EVEN TRYING!

It's been two days, not 30 seconds and not only did I not say anything like that, I was just pointing out that every point I've made, you've dismissed with "so what" or "I don't give a shit." And actually, I'm not trying to convince anything to you. I was just defending the fact that to some people who held the show in a high regard (and no, not all of them) there are a lot who have a problem with the race change issue. That's all.

For fuck's sake you still don't get it do you...I'll say it again, I don't give a shit if you hated the movie, but that ONE particular reason is just plain silly.

And yes, the two are comparable since "The Karate Kid is entirely based on the Japanese Martial art of Karate".

And see, that's my point. You think it's silly, I don't, and you're the one who seems to think that I'm at fault for it. I just think it's a bigger deal than you do. Great, just let it go. It's a difference of opinion so you don't have to think I'm some kind of fucking lunatic for it.

And for the Karate Kid thing, I see what you mean but I don't think it's nearly as big of a deal. It's a dispute over a (to most people) small difference in wording in a remake of some 80s movie. The Avatar issue is...well, you've already heard me say it a million times now.

Ok then, this is more of a personal preference thing. You find it offensive, and I don't. Though the irony in the whole thing still amuses me. Don't go saying "You're just a bigot who won't see it my way".

Yes, thank you. It's just a difference in preference. I prefer that, especially for something like this, they stick as close to the source material as possible since that's what makes the series unique and interesting. And sorry if it sounded that way, but you really haven't been making any real responses to most of my stuff, usually just blowing it off with "I don't give a shit" and such.

The real point to be made here is that I'm very passionate about this issue, while you're moreover apathetic about it. And that's fine, I can agree to disagree...I just don't want you (or anyone else, for that matter) thinking I'm stupid for feeling the way I do about it.

--------------------
| | | | |

Make me an avatar!

+Quote Post

Reyo
post Jul 7 2010, 10:00 PM
Post #26

Group Icon

space team

QUOTE(Pokii @ Jul 7 2010, 09:54 PM) *
It's been two days, not 30 seconds and not only did I not say anything like that, I was just pointing out that every point I've made, you've dismissed with "so what" or "I don't give a shit." And actually, I'm not trying to convince anything to you. I was just defending the fact that to some people who held the show in a high regard (and no, not all of them) there are a lot who have a problem with the race change issue. That's all.

That happens with matters of opinion where there's little to no concrete sources behind the reasoning behind it. Hollywood's purpose for casting the way they did, as you admitted before, doesn't have any sources behind it. It's all a matter of assumption and inferencing, and untill something concrete pops up, all it'll be is a matter of emotion, feelings, and assumptions. All we know for sure is that 3 of the 4 major cast members (so far) are these white kids. You care about that, I don't. Sure, I could bring up all of these things about neuroscience and latent homosexuality and the like, but tell me what it'd do if all we know is the nationality of the actors?

Just ask yourself this, if I waved a blue pen at monitor and told you "The pen I'm waving at the monitor is red", would you try and science guy the situation when all you know is the fact that I'm saying "The pen I'm waving at the monitor is red"?

And see, that's my point. You think it's silly, I don't, and you're the one who seems to think that I'm at fault for it. I just think it's a bigger deal than you do. Great, just let it go. It's a difference of opinion so you don't have to think I'm some kind of fucking lunatic for it.

And for the Karate Kid thing, I see what you mean but I don't think it's nearly as big of a deal. It's a dispute over a (to most people) small difference in wording in a remake of some 80s movie. The Avatar issue is...well, you've already heard me say it a million times now.

You know the underlines portion? If you were to replace "The Karate Kid" with "The Last Airbender" you'd have a mirror imagine of my feelings on the subject of the nationailities of the actors. The two of us aren't really all that different.

And for the record, the new Karate Kid wasn't all that bad. The whole "Kung Fu kid" thing was something I got from a friend who jokingly mocked a poster. I brought that point up to show you how silly it was to nitpick on something that was insignificant, but it turns out it did a great job in giving me an example to better your understanding of how similar our views are, or at least, can be.

Yes, thank you. It's just a difference in preference. I prefer that, especially for something like this, they stick as close to the source material as possible since that's what makes the series unique and interesting. And sorry if it sounded that way, but you really haven't been making any real responses to most of my stuff, usually just blowing it off with "I don't give a shit" and such.

I've had to say it ten times because you continually bring up the fact that you hate the movie for reasons that are in addition to the nationalities of the actors. I said it to try and show you that you didn't have to justify your opinion on the movie. I just wanted to let you know that the nationalities issue is a bit silly (IMHO)

The real point to be made here is that I'm very passionate about this issue, while you're moreover apathetic about it. And that's fine, I can agree to disagree...I just don't want you (or anyone else, for that matter) thinking I'm stupid for feeling the way I do about it.

I don't think you're stupid, I just find it ironic that people are using the word "racist" to describe something without realizing that they're being a bit racist themselves. If that's not the case with you, then fine.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Pokii
post Jul 7 2010, 10:29 PM
Post #27

Group Icon

ORAS Team

QUOTE(Reyo @ Jul 7 2010, 10:00 PM) *
That happens with matters of opinion where there's little to no concrete sources behind the reasoning behind it. Hollywood's purpose for casting the way they did, as you admitted before, doesn't have any sources behind it. It's all a matter of assumption and inferencing, and untill something concrete pops up, all it'll be is a matter of emotion, feelings, and assumptions. All we know for sure is that 3 of the 4 major cast members (so far) are these white kids. You care about that, I don't. Sure, I could bring up all of these things about neuroscience and latent homosexuality and the like, but tell me what it'd do if all we know is the nationality of the actors?

Just ask yourself this, if I waved a blue pen at monitor and told you "The pen I'm waving at the monitor is red", would you try and science guy the situation when all you know is the fact that I'm saying "The pen I'm waving at the monitor is red"?

Well they had some concrete stuff in those videos I linked earlier about the casting thing. I guess I should've said earlier, but I'm not QUITE as radical about them about it, since I don't necessarily think the studios and those involves were deliberately attempting to discriminate against Asians by choosing Caucasian actors for the leads, but I do think it was a really stupid move on their part and one that gives off the wrong idea.

And I'm assuming by that second part you meant that would I just sit there and let the race thing bug the hell out of me the whole movie? Not sure, haven't seen it. For the case of this movie, though, there's probably a whole lot of other things that would bug me a lot more if I actually had sit down and watched it.

You know the underlines portion? If you were to replace "The Karate Kid" with "The Last Airbender" you'd have a mirror imagine of my feelings on the subject of the nationailities of the actors. The two of us aren't really all that different.

And for the record, the new Karate Kid wasn't all that bad. The whole "Kung Fu kid" thing was something I got from a friend who jokingly mocked a poster. I brought that point up to show you how silly it was to nitpick on something that was insignificant, but it turns out it did a great job in giving me an example to better your understanding of how similar our views are, or at least, can be.

Yes, I know. It's not that big a deal to you, and I do understand that. Like I said before, I really wish I didn't care as much as I do.

And yeah, I've seen the new Karate Kid and I liked it. I did actually notice the Kung-fu thing since they (I'm pretty sure) never even spoke the word karate once in the movie (save maybe from Jayden Smith). I even remember thinking to myself "Hmm...maybe they should've called him the Kung-Fu Kid," got a chuckle out of it, and went on watching. I'm sure that's probably how the view of this subject is for you. To you, the race issue seems more like one of those minor details and getting all uppity about it just doesn't seem worth the trouble (and that much I'm starting to think as well, at this point).

But I'm glad you could see it a little better from my end through that. There are things like that that bug the hell out of everyone. I'm sure there's some for stuff you like that I personally wouldn't give a rats ass about myself. Avatar is just so much more of a big deal to me because of how great a series it is, and how it brought so many foreign themes and cultures to the mainstream.

I've had to say it ten times because you continually bring up the fact that you hate the movie for reasons that are in addition to the nationalities of the actors. I said it to try and show you that you didn't have to justify your opinion on the movie. I just wanted to let you know that the nationalities issue is a bit silly (IMHO)

And that's absolutely fine, I just didn't like the tone you were going about it with (though I'm sure I was also being a bit of an ass).

I don't think you're stupid, I just find it ironic that people are using the word "racist" to describe something without realizing that they're being a bit racist themselves. If that's not the case with you, then fine.

I think I was making the wrong impression with some of the picture/video links...as I just said above, I don't really think the studios were deliberately discriminating myself, but rather it was just a perfect combination of all the wrong things and stupid choices that gave the wrong impression. And I wouldn't say that I'm really being racist towards Caucasian people (being one myself and all), but it is actually true what they said in those videos about Hollywood usually going for Caucasian actors over Asian ones for Asian characters (Prince of Persia, Dragonball, Kung-Fu Panda to name a few). And again, I don't think it's so much of some sort of conspiracy as much as it is people sticking to a majority that's been present and they don't want to let go of...if that makes any sense. I mean look how long it took us to have a non-Caucasian president here in the states. That's all my opinion as well, though :P

Glad we found some common ground, I had hoped that we would.

--------------------
| | | | |

Make me an avatar!

+Quote Post

Reyo
post Jul 7 2010, 11:33 PM
Post #28

Group Icon

space team

QUOTE(Pokii @ Jul 7 2010, 11:29 PM) *
Well they had some concrete stuff in those videos I linked earlier about the casting thing. I guess I should've said earlier, but I'm not QUITE as radical about them about it, since I don't necessarily think the studios and those involves were deliberately attempting to discriminate against Asians by choosing Caucasian actors for the leads, but I do think it was a really stupid move on their part and one that gives off the wrong idea.

And I'm assuming by that second part you meant that would I just sit there and let the race thing bug the hell out of me the whole movie? Not sure, haven't seen it. For the case of this movie, though, there's probably a whole lot of other things that would bug me a lot more if I actually had sit down and watched it.

OH so you haven't even watched it yet...I could probably say something about that but it seems like the conversation is headed towards a truce so I won't......awesome.gif

But yeah, if that's the case with you, then we have more of an understanding. Most of the people who would be THAT militant on it would be more the types to worry about putting tin foil on their heads and shouting "TAKE ME WITH YOU!" at the first sign of an alien visitation.

Yes, I know. It's not that big a deal to you, and I do understand that. Like I said before, I really wish I didn't care as much as I do.

And yeah, I've seen the new Karate Kid and I liked it. I did actually notice the Kung-fu thing since they (I'm pretty sure) never even spoke the word karate once in the movie (save maybe from Jayden Smith). I even remember thinking to myself "Hmm...maybe they should've called him the Kung-Fu Kid," got a chuckle out of it, and went on watching. I'm sure that's probably how the view of this subject is for you. To you, the race issue seems more like one of those minor details and getting all uppity about it just doesn't seem worth the trouble (and that much I'm starting to think as well, at this point).

But I'm glad you could see it a little better from my end through that. There are things like that that bug the hell out of everyone. I'm sure there's some for stuff you like that I personally wouldn't give a rats ass about myself. Avatar is just so much more of a big deal to me because of how great a series it is, and how it brought so many foreign themes and cultures to the mainstream.

The movie has Jackie Chan in it. Being a raging fanboy of him, I'm obligated to give any movie he's in 5 stars...you see. Though yeah, there actually is one instance where a detail bugged the shit out of me, being the new Prince of Persia movie where they completely left out the character of Farrah!
*begin rant on the innacuracies of the movie, gay cowboys and such*

And that's absolutely fine, I just didn't like the tone you were going about it with (though I'm sure I was also being a bit of an ass).

Less an ass, more...generalizy? It was when you said something like "It's offensive to the fans of avatar: the series" that I got all uppity about it.

I think I was making the wrong impression with some of the picture/video links...as I just said above, I don't really think the studios were deliberately discriminating myself, but rather it was just a perfect combination of all the wrong things and stupid choices that gave the wrong impression. And I wouldn't say that I'm really being racist towards Caucasian people (being one myself and all), but it is actually true what they said in those videos about Hollywood usually going for Caucasian actors over Asian ones for Asian characters (Prince of Persia, Dragonball, Kung-Fu Panda to name a few). And again, I don't think it's so much of some sort of conspiracy as much as it is people sticking to a majority that's been present and they don't want to let go of...if that makes any sense. I mean look how long it took us to have a non-Caucasian president here in the states. That's all my opinion as well, though :P

Glad we found some common ground, I had hoped that we would.

I was thinking and maybe the whole issue is that there are only a few asian characters that were either available, or even willing to do the parts. I don't know, that's just a theory.

And to be honest, Dragonball was pretty cool...in a "I haven't seen this shit in years *nostalgiagasm*" kind of way.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Pokii
post Jul 8 2010, 12:18 AM
Post #29

Group Icon

ORAS Team

QUOTE(Reyo @ Jul 7 2010, 11:33 PM) *
OH so you haven't even watched it yet...I could probably say something about that but it seems like the conversation is headed towards a truce so I won't......awesome.gif

But yeah, if that's the case with you, then we have more of an understanding. Most of the people who would be THAT militant on it would be more the types to worry about putting tin foil on their heads and shouting "TAKE ME WITH YOU!" at the first sign of an alien visitation.

lol I've said in a lot of my posts "I'm not going to pay money to/waste my time seeing it." But this is one of those things were literally everything I've heard about the movie is bad, whether they're fans of the series or not. You might want to check out this audio review from one of my favorite review sites...it's pretty funny awesome.gif

The movie has Jackie Chan in it. Being a raging fanboy of him, I'm obligated to give any movie he's in 5 stars...you see. Though yeah, there actually is one instance where a detail bugged the shit out of me, being the new Prince of Persia movie where they completely left out the character of Farrah!
*begin rant on the innacuracies of the movie, gay cowboys and such*

Ah I see. I like Jackie Chan myself, but I couldn't help but feel like they didn't give him quite enough to do in that movie. Most of the time he was just sitting around moping and telling Jayden Smith to put on his jacket.

And well they did have Farrah in Prince of Persia...sort of. The had "a princess" anyway. I liked the movie, never played the game...doing that now, actually. Bought it off Steam for $6 bucktooth.gif

Less an ass, more...generalizy? It was when you said something like "It's offensive to the fans of avatar: the series" that I got all uppity about it.

Myess, well I do have a natural tendency to exaggerate things a bit. I didn't mean to imply literally every single one, though, just fans like myself who stuck by the series and eh...get bothered by that kind of shit, I guess.

I was thinking and maybe the whole issue is that there are only a few asian characters that were either available, or even willing to do the parts. I don't know, that's just a theory.

And to be honest, Dragonball was pretty cool...in a "I haven't seen this shit in years *nostalgiagasm*" kind of way.

Weeeell, I'm sure they could've found someone. That's the interesting thing about Hollywood is that if they post a casting call for a crossdressing midget with green hair and an eye patch, they'll get six of them at the audition. I'm sure there are plenty of Asian actors out there could have looked the part. Now whether they could have played the part is an entirely separate matter, and something like that may have influenced the decision maybe.

I haven't seen Dragonball Evolution but I heard it was pretty bad...might be one of those "so bad that it's good" movies though :V

--------------------
| | | | |

Make me an avatar!

+Quote Post

FancyGranola
post Jul 8 2010, 12:45 AM
Post #30

Elite Double Battler
Group Icon

Member No.: 80 673

Life

I have nerd raged for more than half an hour on this subject. The Last Airbender was a terrible movie that made me laugh and cry for all the wrong reasons. "Racebending," I like that! Let's give it to the director, Manoj Nelliyattu Shyamalan is Indian. Does that mean he needs to replace the entire Fire Nation with Indians? I really do not think so.

Besides replacing the whole Fire Nation with Indians, they could at least stick with the anime a bit closer. I don't understand why, in the beginning of the movie, the people moved and the element moved with them simultaneously. When the movie really started, the element moves after they do their interpretive dance. There needs to be consistency!

The whole idea of fire-bending was screwed up! The movie said that the fire benders could not create their own fire to bend with. In the anime, the fire could be easily generated.

I hate it when even the main characters pronounce names wrong. It seems like they haven't even studied the characters. C'mon! "So-kah?" It's "Sah-kah!" "Aang" turns into "Ahang." I mean, even a five year old could not mess that up.

There is one person that does not have their name messed up, and she is Katara. Instead, they messed her up by ignoring the signature "loopy-things." There is not one character in the movie that has it right. Even Uncle Iroh turns into something else. Iroh lacks the beer (tea) belly and has dreadlocks.

I understand that Avatar: The Last Airbender is an American anime, but I don't understand why they needed to screw it up so badly by making it into a live action movie. When people turn anime into a live action movie, it destroys the basic integrity of the show. Death Note was done into a live action movie, and to be honest, it was horrible.

The fact that they replaced Asians with Caucasians does not just make my blood boil, it makes my blood sublimate. Asian actors are 100% misrepresented. It's annoying when everyone falls in love with Jackie Chan and not some other famous actor. Actors such a 周潤發 (Chow Yun-Fat), Tony Leung, and 林志玲 (Lin Chi-ling) have done a much better job acting.

--------------------

Credits (click to show)
+Quote Post

Reyo
post Jul 8 2010, 12:56 AM
Post #31

Group Icon

space team

QUOTE(Pokii @ Jul 8 2010, 01:18 AM) *
lol I've said in a lot of my posts "I'm not going to pay money to/waste my time seeing it." But this is one of those things were literally everything I've heard about the movie is bad, whether they're fans of the series or not. You might want to check out this audio review from one of my favorite review sites...it's pretty funny awesome.gif

ehh, even if there were reviews for it chances are I wouldn't see it. I'm that dirt poor. I'm most likely going to wait untill it's on HBO like I did X-men Origins (which was bitchen, by the way). Most of my movie funds goes towards Robert Downey Jr. movies.

Ah I see. I like Jackie Chan myself, but I couldn't help but feel like they didn't give him quite enough to do in that movie. Most of the time he was just sitting around moping and telling Jayden Smith to put on his jacket.

And well they did have Farrah in Prince of Persia...sort of. The had "a princess" anyway. I liked the movie, never played the game...doing that now, actually. Bought it off Steam for $6 bucktooth.gif

ehh, I don't have steam. Most I have is limewire which I'm still procrastinating redownloading. Though from what I hear, the character who would have been farrah was more the "damsel in distress" type rathor than a "stab you with bullets" type.

Myess, well I do have a natural tendency to exaggerate things a bit. I didn't mean to imply literally every single one, though, just fans like myself who stuck by the series and eh...get bothered by that kind of shit, I guess.

iscoolbro

Weeeell, I'm sure they could've found someone. That's the interesting thing about Hollywood is that if they post a casting call for a crossdressing midget with green hair and an eye patch, they'll get six of them at the audition. I'm sure there are plenty of Asian actors out there could have looked the part. Now whether they could have played the part is an entirely separate matter, and something like that may have influenced the decision maybe.

I haven't seen Dragonball Evolution but I heard it was pretty bad...might be one of those "so bad that it's good" movies though :V

Yeah, from what I hear though the kid they got to play Aang did have experience with martial arts, so I'm guessing it wasn't a "pick a number out of a hat" deal. Maybe the asians they got didn't know karate? (insert racism on all asians knowing karate)

And yes...it really is. They even had Justin Chatwin nomming on Turkey legs to capture the whole "bottomless pit of a stomach" stereotype.

QUOTE(FancyGranola @ Jul 8 2010, 01:45 AM) *
The fact that they replaced Asians with Caucasians does not just make my blood boil, it makes my blood sublimate. Asian actors are 100% misrepresented. It's annoying when everyone falls in love with Jackie Chan and not some other famous actor. Actors such a 周潤發 (Chow Yun-Fat), Tony Leung, and 林志玲 (Lin Chi-ling) have done a much better job acting.

Jackie Chan is the asian Chuck Norris. Don't go acting like you don't want him inside you.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Pokii
post Jul 8 2010, 01:45 AM
Post #32

Group Icon

ORAS Team

QUOTE(Reyo @ Jul 8 2010, 12:56 AM) *
ehh, even if there were reviews for it chances are I wouldn't see it. I'm that dirt poor. I'm most likely going to wait untill it's on HBO like I did X-men Origins (which was bitchen, by the way). Most of my movie funds goes towards Robert Downey Jr. movies.

Can't blame you there. Movies are expensive, and whilst we're in such an economic shithole, going to see every one isn't exactly a reasonable idea. I thought RDJ was great in Sherlock Holmes and Iron Man 2.

ehh, I don't have steam. Most I have is limewire which I'm still procrastinating redownloading. Though from what I hear, the character who would have been farrah was more the "damsel in distress" type rathor than a "stab you with bullets" type.

Probably would've suited her better. I haven't gotten far enough into the game to have seen much of her yet, other than a glimpse of her ass as she swiftly runs corners and somehow manages to get through entire rooms full of sand monsters and stuff I have to work to climb and swing around on before I do. But yeah, she was kind of a bitch in the movie...or "the princess" was, rather.

Yeah, from what I hear though the kid they got to play Aang did have experience with martial arts, so I'm guessing it wasn't a "pick a number out of a hat" deal. Maybe the asians they got didn't know karate? (insert racism on all asians knowing karate)

And yes...it really is. They even had Justin Chatwin nomming on Turkey legs to capture the whole "bottomless pit of a stomach" stereotype.

Yeah, I think he was actually picked for his part before anyone else. Maybe they just had their eyes dead-set on him and decided to work the rest of the cast around him, who knows. The guy who played Sokka was also in the new Twilight movie though, I heard :V

And man, now I'm going to have to check that out lol

--------------------
| | | | |

Make me an avatar!

+Quote Post

Reyo
post Jul 8 2010, 01:15 PM
Post #33

Group Icon

space team

QUOTE(Pokii @ Jul 8 2010, 02:45 AM) *
Can't blame you there. Movies are expensive, and whilst we're in such an economic shithole, going to see every one isn't exactly a reasonable idea. I thought RDJ was great in Sherlock Holmes and Iron Man 2.

RDJ is good in everything...

Probably would've suited her better. I haven't gotten far enough into the game to have seen much of her yet, other than a glimpse of her ass as she swiftly runs corners and somehow manages to get through entire rooms full of sand monsters and stuff I have to work to climb and swing around on before I do. But yeah, she was kind of a bitch in the movie...or "the princess" was, rather.

Yeah, in the games, she finds this balcany to perch on and shoots arrows at me the sand monsters. She's certainly not the "OMG you have to do this for me!" type.

Yeah, I think he was actually picked for his part before anyone else. Maybe they just had their eyes dead-set on him and decided to work the rest of the cast around him, who knows. The guy who played Sokka was also in the new Twilight movie though, I heard :V

lol, I knew that would happen with the kids from twilight. That Pattinson kid is making a new movie, and the first thing I thought is "People are either too in love with him, or hate his guts as a result of twilight to take him seriously in anything else."

And man, now I'm going to have to check that out lol

Yes, you should. It's not all "SRSNUS ACTION!" there's a bit of humor in it. I giggled like a little school girl at the science class scene.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:57 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.