Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Children's attiudes, before and now.
Kookie Monster
post Feb 23 2009, 11:34 AM
Post #1

Stalking like a Weeping Angel
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 889

COOKIE Team

My mom and dad say that Kids take things for granted, they are cocky and very rude. They have no respect, unlike in the old days'. Simply put they believe that Kids these days are rude, insensitiive etc. In the older days, children used to get hit, and they would stop them from being stupid etc and give them a sense of displine.

Those days, children listened to their parents 100% of the time, the world was less dangerous, they were less teenage murders for example.

All in all, do you think, that kids nowdays are worser than say 30 years ago? Do you believe children should be less sprited? Do you think that hitting children should be allowed? Tell us why

Or do you think kids are better than 30 or so years ago? Tell us why

I think personally kids should not be like this, discpline helps the kids mature and teaches them SOMETHING will be done if they act stupid etc. Nowdays, you see kids killing each other over a games console, in the olden days, no-one would fight over a game.

This post has been edited by TyraniBoah: Feb 23 2009, 11:35 AM

--------------------

IRC NICKS: Fudge, Kookie, Adam West, RedIce

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Flamer
post Feb 23 2009, 11:43 AM
Post #2

Insert whitty phrase here
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 2 757

Faves

I can't really comment about this cause I wasn't around 30 years ago to see how kids behaved, but defiantly there is a problem with some of the young people in the country today. And I say some cause there are lots of nice young people out there, but unfortunatly, at least in my experience, they are becoming the minority.

As far as the hitting children goes, I do have a very good point about why this does not work, however I'm not going to say too much about it cuase in society it seems that as soon as you mention different races and cultures you are imdiately labeled racist. But I think its safe to say that hitting children doesn't make them any better behaved, and in many cases it just makes them more violent towards others.

--------------------

+Quote Post

TQQ
post Feb 23 2009, 03:54 PM
Post #3

Justin
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 244

Active Squad

kids today are douchebags, plain and simple. i'm not even that old, im only 20, and kids were more behaved when i was a teenager. i was the stereotypical teen, i was all dark, did drugs and what not, except for one thing: i respected my elders, no matter how fucked up they are. my dad is a drunk and my mom is a whore, and i still gave them respect. i went to the mall the other day with my fiancee. we were walking past hot topic when a group of these faggoty goth kids walked out, pointed at us, then laughed for some apparently funny, but unknown reason. they preceded to walk up to us, and then tripped my fiancee. i told the kid to apologize, he said 'FUCK YOU OLD MAN, I DONT APOLOGIZE FOR SHIT." i grabbed the kid by his collar, and told him to apologize again.
Tl;Dr, i got kicked out the mall for punching him in the face. i hate kids. (except you, friends! awesome.gif [/faggotry])

--------------------

+Quote Post

Flamer
post Feb 23 2009, 04:11 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Faves

Hope they got kicked out the mall too. Although it wouldn't supprise me if they didn't. It seems the more rude, thugish and disrispectful you are the more you get away with. Good on you for standing up to them, but I would be careful hitting them and all that. Not worth getting arrested over.

--------------------

+Quote Post

TQQ
post Feb 23 2009, 04:53 PM
Post #5

Justin
Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(Flamer @ Feb 23 2009, 04:11 PM) *
Hope they got kicked out the mall too. Although it wouldn't supprise me if they didn't. It seems the more rude, thugish and disrispectful you are the more you get away with. Good on you for standing up to them, but I would be careful hitting them and all that. Not worth getting arrested over.

Good on you for standing up to them, but I would be careful hitting them and all that. Not worth getting arrested over.

Not worth getting arrested over.

i beg to differ. not only did they disrespect my fiancee who i love deeply, the disrespected me too. i do NOT like to be disrespected, especially when i gave him the opportunity to apologize.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Flamer
post Feb 23 2009, 05:07 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Faves

QUOTE(The Duke of Beaconsfield @ Feb 23 2009, 09:53 PM) *
i beg to differ. not only did they disrespect my fiancee who i love deeply, the disrespected me too. i do NOT like to be disrespected, especially when i gave him the opportunity to apologize.

True, very true. Well, like I said good on you for giving them what they deserved woot.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Feb 23 2009, 05:12 PM
Post #7

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

To be honest I'm not around many kids who disrespect people without kidding around about it (and by kidding, I mean everything's tight and we know the other person's joking around), but even then I'd still be pretty loose about how I parent in the future. Of course, establishing certain limits, but I'll see what kinds of limits I'll need to set depending on behavior... I'd probably be fairly liberal as a father, anyway, considering how I'm passive/nonchalant/borderline lethargic IRL.

I'm also against beatings/getting yelled at, possibly because of the risk that some kids basically learn to live properly and work hard simply through fear, not through personal incentive. At least, that's the way it was like growing up for me.

Frankly, I don't give a shit if they're "elders" anyway; if they're being irrational (in my opinion), I'm not going to sit around and let them think they're completely in the right. I'm going to let them know and argue through it as respectfully as possible; though, in my household apparently voicing your opinions against parental things in any way, shape, or form is "disrespect." If anyone catches my drift.

I do recall quite a few douche bags from my old school that seemed to be like what the topic creator described. Over here? They probably do exist, I just haven't had the chance to meet them.

And god damn TQQ, you either get pissed off really easily (I shrug off stuff like that, it's *really* not worth it in my honest opinion considering I probably wouldn't know these people nor ever see them again for it to matter) or you're a badass. Either way, I'm glad we have a monitor, a bunch of states, some wires, and whatever else between us.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Lester Burnham
post Feb 23 2009, 06:05 PM
Post #8

Look closer.
Group Icon

Member No.: 72

Active Squad

I'm the polar opposite of these kids. I'm supposedly the "good" kid. I don't drink, I respect my elders, and I'm all that goody goody shit I hate. I don't think adults should judge kids, however, on how things were when they were kids. Times change. Laws are different. You can't hit your kid because you'll be charged with Child Abuse/Domestic Violence. I was never pro-hitting anyway, because kids don't deserve something that severe for something small. I can find many ways to make a kid learn his/her lesson than hitting them. I was never hit, save for a slap on the wrist occasionally.

--------------------
[align=center]I am the earth-mother, and you are all flops.
[/align]
+Quote Post

Swordsalmon
post Feb 23 2009, 06:15 PM
Post #9

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 299

Active Squad

Well, I have noticed that many children and teens are very rude. It's rather sad, since it's not fun being around people that are going to be rude and offensive all the time. sad.gif

I think the main problem does lie with parenting. With the higher amount of divorced pairs and irresponsible parents now, I don't think children are getting proper discipline. And really, the teachings of parents are going to affect their child's behavior for the most part.

Of course, this doesn't apply to those who were properly disciplined and are just being very sarcastic. Nothing offensive about insulting someone when both sides (Both the 'offender' and 'target') know it's just in good humor. ^_^.gif Also, there's means of discipline that don't involve corporal punishment. I do think spanking does help teach right from wrong at time, but also taking away certain rights (No, you are not going to the party now! XD) can help behavior.

--------------------
I have claimed Kanghaskhan.
+Quote Post

TQQ
post Feb 23 2009, 08:46 PM
Post #10

Justin
Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(Nathan Graves @ Feb 23 2009, 05:12 PM) *
And god damn TQQ, you either get pissed off really easily (I shrug off stuff like that, it's *really* not worth it in my honest opinion considering I probably wouldn't know these people nor ever see them again for it to matter) or you're a badass. Either way, I'm glad we have a monitor, a bunch of states, some wires, and whatever else between us.

meh, bit of both. plus, too poor for meds! blargagh.gif

I should probably clairify that I am %100 against beatings/spankings etc. i just believe that you should give respect to everyone you meet, because i realized after a brief period of "well everyone hates me, so fuck them" that the reason that people treat me so crappy was because i showed no respect for authority, elders, teachers, principle, or anything else for that matter. i was probably the most borderline anarchistic teen you would ever meet. I was the kid that you have at your school that peddles off his ritalin for 2 bucks a pop, and never stayed the full day. then one day, i decided to just chill. just, simply, chill out. i wore my school uniform the next day (got quite a bit of stares from that one) addressed all my teachers with a sir or miss, and realized if i wasnt simply a Nihilist douchebag to all, i got respect back. Now If you think i am a dick now, imagine if i was 16 and on 90% more drugs than i am now. xD

tl;dr I was able to teach myself a lesson about respect, I hope that this generation's youth can do the same. or me and my IRL bad ass self will teach them myself.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Flamer
post Feb 24 2009, 12:03 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Faves

QUOTE(Julius Caesar @ Feb 23 2009, 11:05 PM) *
I don't think adults should judge kids, however, on how things were when they were kids.

I know, it really pisses me off. Although not as much as teachers telling you about how hard they're working and how you should be working that hard too. Our Chemistry teacher today was telling us about how she did the test that we all messed up and got an A in it. Well done, your a Chemistry teacher for Gods sake. I'd be pretty worried if we where being taught by someone who couldn't get an A in the test.

Sorry, that was a bit off topic, but had to get it off my chest.

QUOTE(Swordsalmon @ Feb 23 2009, 11:15 PM) *
I think the main problem does lie with parenting. With the higher amount of divorced pairs and irresponsible parents now, I don't think children are getting proper discipline. And really, the teachings of parents are going to affect their child's behavior for the most part.

Sorry, I have to disagree about the divorced parents bit. I'm probably very biased about this but my parents are divorced and personally I feel it hasn't had any impact on my behvaiour, grades etc. Infact, I think I've been getting on better in life at the moment, not that I was doing really badly or anything to begin with but yeah.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Stealth Rock
post Feb 24 2009, 06:51 PM
Post #12

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 546

Old Gen 4 Team

QUOTE(Flamer @ Feb 24 2009, 12:03 PM) *
QUOTE(Swordsalmon @ Feb 23 2009, 11:15 PM) *

Sorry, I have to disagree about the divorced parents bit. I'm probably very biased about this but my parents are divorced and personally I feel it hasn't had any impact on my behvaiour, grades etc. Infact, I think I've been getting on better in life at the moment, not that I was doing really badly or anything to begin with but yeah.

Flamer, you're probably the most well-behaved person I know, and I don't even know you. :S I WANT YOU IN REAL LIFE, DAMMIT!

I think it depends on the parents, and on the child.

--------------------

What if we were all just line segments living in a grid?
+Quote Post

Swordsalmon
post Feb 24 2009, 07:55 PM
Post #13

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 299

Active Squad

QUOTE(Flamer @ Feb 24 2009, 11:03 AM) *

I meant more of a generalization, and I must apologize for offending you. However, divorces do tend to have a very adverse effect on many children, especially younger ones. Also, if the child or children are then raised by one parent tend to be 25% more depressed and other health problems, which all can lead to behavioral problems. Of course, these are all just statistics and generalizations.

Sorry for being offensive. sad.gif

--------------------
I have claimed Kanghaskhan.
+Quote Post

Jirachi Trainer
post Feb 28 2009, 03:10 PM
Post #14

J_T
Group Icon

Group: Validating
Member No.: 5 271

Make A Wish ^_^.

I'm only 16 and still or just growing out of being a "kid"and I can see that children younger than me jusy wanna be gits and get away with whatever. But don't get me wrong my age of kids just about has the same opinion of "the more of a disruption I am the more I can get away with" sort of attitude to everyone and everything. Rules are there for a reason, and not there to be broken. And on the issue of drugs when you're a teenager, everyone does at some point, heck even I have. But don't get me wrong because in any society you'll always find the kids who are decent and nice, but the get the **** beaten out of them for being nice and standing out. It's a shame it has to be like that really because the world isn't gonna get any better with people going around do whatever the heck they want.

--------------------
My Pearl FC is: 1891 6083 5219
My Sig ^_^.gif. (click to show)
+Quote Post

Sir Xero
post Mar 18 2009, 07:46 PM
Post #15

That Mysterious Shaymin
Group Icon

Group: Validating
Member No.: 5 323

My Team

Oh god.... i don't know if anything has gotten better.

However, "back then" (if you want to consider 70's and 80's "back then") , from what i have heard from my own parents, people were mainly on drugs or a bunch of bad-asses. You would be shoved into a locker if you said something bad to someone. Back on the issue of drugs, it was horrible. Simply horrible.

Teachers were no better. You got smacked with a paddle/oar/whatever the teacher wanted to use if you misbehaved.

And now, in the 21st century, i can't say much more. Teens my age and kids now will take about any insult/ word / phrase thrown at them, they just blow if off (well, sometimes).

Drugs aren't as bad, but crime rate is worse. People are a little smarter now, and want to go to college.

That's all i am putting it at for now.

--------------------

My Team/Cards (click to show)
+Quote Post

knil1
post Mar 18 2009, 09:27 PM
Post #16

also known as Duzzel. ^_^
Group Icon

Member No.: 3 392

Dream Party

Kids thess days are spoiled brats
now theirs the kids who are spoiled all around, kids who are spoiled, but not snobbish, and those who aren't spoiled

Prime spoiled example:
A girl was crying in Kroger the other day. She was about 5 years old. She was dressed as if she went to a private school. I thought, "aww, how sad" until this happened
her seven year old sister asked, "why is megan crying?"
Her mom says, "Oh, because her cell phone died"

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I couldn't get a phone ntil i was 13, and this little 5 year old brat has a cell phone!?!?!?!
I was so pissed.

Spoiled/not snobbish:
pretty much me. I get things that I want, but it's to a limit. I don't act snobby and ask for stupid things all the time. And I definetly don't act like my 7 year old cousin who tells his mom to get the damn door...

not spoiled:
Shivas disciple here isn't spoiled.
He has a lot of things, but he earns his money and buys them himself.

--------------------

Uprising (click to show)
+Quote Post

Lester Burnham
post Mar 20 2009, 05:16 PM
Post #17

Look closer.
Group Icon

Member No.: 72

Active Squad

QUOTE(Sir Xero @ Mar 18 2009, 08:46 PM) *
Drugs aren't as bad, but crime rate is worse. People are a little smarter now, and want to go to college.

My rich friends say hi.

--------------------
[align=center]I am the earth-mother, and you are all flops.
[/align]
+Quote Post

Stealth Rock
post Mar 20 2009, 05:26 PM
Post #18

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 546

Old Gen 4 Team

QUOTE(Iulius Caesar @ Mar 20 2009, 06:16 PM) *
QUOTE(Sir Xero @ Mar 18 2009, 08:46 PM) *

My rich friends say hi.

My alter-ego says hi. shift.gif
+Quote Post

Eden Marel
post Mar 27 2009, 06:04 PM
Post #19

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 5 446

My Pkmn Diamond Team

My parents think all kids in my generation are gaming nuts, which will lead to our downfall. It seems true. I got bad grades because of games and internet, my cousins... same thing just this year. And another cousin just this month. Maybe it is true, or is it just in our blood line? oh.gif I guess we would take things for granted, because we did not have to work as hard as the older generation.

But for my opinion, I think the generation that is younger than me are worse than my generation. They seem so immature about everything. It seems like they are sex crazy fiends. They dress so little that they are practically naked. It bothers me. Also they are very disruptive in school and other public places.

--------------------
+Quote Post

TristaK
post Mar 29 2009, 02:08 PM
Post #20

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 5 657

Active Ones

While many people say children are disrespectful, can you not say the same of their parents? They are the ones who raise their children. A firm hand can make some kids go very, very crazy from it. Such as them running away or rebelling in many ways. However, in many cases (mainly mine from experience) they are only repeating the behavior of the adults they learned from.

An example would be that my father was not exactly patient. I learned from him about being calm or angry and thus I have a short temper. But I learned from both parents not to be rude. They were always graceful with their even most despised neighbors and I soon learned how to do that. Respecting someone and liking them are very different concepts, many people confuse or combine them.

The problem is, the parents are doing the 'do as I say, don't do as I do.' This generation especially is at the 'do as my parents do,' where they do not clean up, do not wash or bathe or do not respect others. The raising like this needs to stop, but unfortunately, not every parent is respecting common courtesy or even common ideals enough to help their child learn manners.

Humans, mostly, learn from example, so it stands to reason this generation, when given short shorts at 6 years old, and made to wear them, will think it's okay.

Well, that's my two cents at least. >_>;;

--------------------

Help them out! If you click, I will return your clicks, no problem.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:57 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.