Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
Are pokémon people?
Are pokémon people?
Are they?
Yes [ 6 ]  [17.14%]
No [ 11 ]  [31.43%]
Most are, some aren't. [ 5 ]  [14.29%]
Some are, most aren't. [ 13 ]  [37.14%]
Total Votes: 35
Guests cannot vote 

Xal
post Jul 6 2010, 06:40 AM
Post #1

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 65 113

PANE Party

So, as the title says: Are pokémon people?

Before I start my argument, I want to point out that just because they're not human it shouldn't necessarily mean they're not people. The definition may include being human depending upon which dictionary you use but that's most likely because, as far as we know, all people are humans and vice versa. Describing a person as 'human' gets the point across much more easily than all the philosophical conditions of being a person (which are a matter of opinion and up for debate). Imagine a race from a sci-fi show; it would make sense to say that they're not human, but I'm sure many would agree it would be wrong to say they aren't people. Similarly, I'm sure there are cases where it could be said a human isn't actually a person. If I were to grow a human body in a lab, completely fulfilling the biological definition of a human but having no consciousness nor a potential to ever be conscious, it would be understandable if people said it wasn't a person.

I'm not entirely sure what we can accurately define being a person as. Two things that I think are important though are having a mind and having a highly developed intelligence (how intelligent something needs to be before it is classed as a person, however, I don't know). Whatever the definition is, pokémon (at least some of them) seem to fulfil it. Mewtwo, for example, seems as much of a person as any human being does. He talks, has dreams, and is at least as intelligent as humans. That may suggest that perhaps powerful pokémon like him are people, but then again even other talking pokémon seem like people too. Slowking and even Meowth, for example, can talk and appear to be people. Personally, I think this shows that even the less advanced pokémon show the qualities required to be a person, but without being able to speak we don't notice that. Alternatively, the fact they can't speak could just be a sign that they aren't people at all (however, pokémon do speak their own language and the language of other pokémon, and their language appears just as developed as any human one).

For now, that's all I can think of to say. If anyone else has any thoughts, regardless of their position in the debate, I'd love to hear them. For me, I think that most, if not all, pokémon would count as people.

This post has been edited by Xal: Jul 6 2010, 06:42 AM

--------------------

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Xal   Are pokémon people?   Jul 6 2010, 06:40 AM
JohnRichard1991   I wouldn't say that pokemon are people, as the...   Jul 6 2010, 06:49 AM
Eliot Kovach   Yeah, they get captured in a pokeball, have differ...   Jul 6 2010, 06:58 AM
knight 6792   Some are most aren't shall I remind you about ...   Jul 6 2010, 11:19 AM
Nursetiger   Speaking of pokemon "not being civilized.....   Jul 24 2010, 01:18 AM
Xal   QUOTE(Nursetiger @ Jul 24 2010, 07:18 AM)...   Aug 8 2010, 05:35 PM
steelTitan   Some are, most are not from looking at the anime.   Jul 24 2010, 05:58 PM
dejanisdejan   I think they`re people because the are intelli...   Aug 21 2010, 09:45 PM
FancyGranola   I think the idea of people is more of a social con...   Oct 24 2010, 01:53 AM
Zero Gravity   Pokemon can't be human like humans can't b...   Dec 10 2010, 01:38 PM
Time Lady Victorious   I think you'd treat one as a "very smart ...   Jan 5 2011, 01:42 PM
Breeder Drew   They are quite people like, take MD for example. ...   Jan 5 2011, 01:53 PM
Professor Layton   QUOTE(Breeder Drew @ Jan 5 2011, 06:53 PM...   Jan 5 2011, 02:05 PM
Blueflame   I would consider the Pokemon in the anime to be pe...   Jan 5 2011, 02:06 PM
okpo   Most are some not   May 10 2011, 10:34 AM
nerea2661996   I think there are animals because people in the an...   Apr 4 2012, 01:33 PM
Marchen von Friedhof   This really depends on the point of view. Most of ...   Apr 5 2012, 04:15 AM
Cresselia   I think some are, because Pokemons like Jynx and M...   Apr 5 2012, 06:02 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:22 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.