Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Animal Cruelty, And other morally questionable actions in Pokemon
PeachyMomo
post May 9 2009, 02:46 AM
Post #1

Cuddlemaster.
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 15 423

Canine Dream Team

Does anyone else think, "Wow. This is kind of like dog fighting or cock fighting," sometimes when they think about Pokemon battles? By no means do I think Pokemon is promoting animal cruelty, but it is a little abusive xD; Some people say they would use Pokemon to battle even if they were real. But I doubt they think about the connection between that and animal cruelty either. What do you think?

On a semi-related note, I've also always wondered... how it okay to attack humans, like how Ash attacks Team Rocket, with lethal creatures like Pokemon? Thundershock would kill them. >>; [Yes, it is fantasy, but the connection made with reality is a little gruesome.]

Also, why is it okay for Ash to catch any Pokemon he likes but not Team Rocket or other "bad" guys?

And even catching Pokemon... It could be classified as neglect and abuse. Ash and other trainers store the majority of their Pokemon in their PC, and Ash only lets Pikachu walk around with him while the others are crammed into Pokeballs until a battle or emergency [again, dog fighting? xD]. Don't you think those Pokeballs would be... not so roomy? Do you think the Pokemon can think and feel emotion still while in the Pokeball? I'd think they would get restless and bored, at LEAST, if not extremely depressed. Not to mention Ash plays favoritism.

Good thing little kids don't really notice these things.

This post has been edited by PeachyMomo: May 9 2009, 11:37 AM

--------------------

I'd be happy to click back :]
I always click back full parties. I also click new pokemon/eggs you add to your party throughout the day.

Dream Team.

Claims (click to show)
Squiby - Please Click (click to show)
Groups (click to show)
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Ness
post May 9 2009, 02:54 AM
Post #2

2wag.
Group Icon

Member No.: 20 775

Active Squad

I've never thought about it like that, honestly.
Pokemon's just too... Fantasy for me to relate to things that happen in real life. xD;

--------------------

Etc. (click to show)
+Quote Post

Lummi
post May 9 2009, 02:57 AM
Post #3

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 16 671

HeartGold Party

I think everyone's thought about the parallels as they get older. All in all, battles are dangerous for both trainer and pokemon. Imagine a stray shadow ball...

--------------------
+Quote Post

PeachyMomo
post May 9 2009, 03:33 AM
Post #4

Cuddlemaster.
Group Icon

Canine Dream Team

Yes, very dangerous.

I've also always wondered... how it okay to attack humans, like how Ash attacks Team Rocket, with lethal creatures like Pokemon? Thundershock would kill them. >>;

Also, why is it okay for Ash to catch any Pokemon he likes but not Team Rocket or other "bad" guys?

There is so much wrong with this series xD

In fact, I am going to add these to the main topic.

This post has been edited by PeachyMomo: May 9 2009, 03:34 AM

--------------------

I always click back full parties. I also click new pokemon/eggs you add to your party throughout the day.

Dream Team.

Claims (click to show)
Groups (click to show)
+Quote Post

Kai Reddtail
post May 9 2009, 09:32 AM
Post #5

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 8 999

My Top Six

I read an explanation on this on a website somewhere I think....

It's true as you get older you start to notice these things.

But also take note that animals in cockfights and dogfights are forced. They're abused or made to be aggressive. Pokemon want to battle, nobody forces them. Seriously, how is your average human going to force a pokemon to do ANYTHING? Ash couldn't MAKE Pikachu battle, that was clearly evident in the first episode. And that's just pikachu. Think of trianers trying to force a Tyranitar to battle? A Charizard? (We've seen that one too.) Not a chance. The pokemon battle because they enjoy it.

--------------------
Click! (click to show)
W00t! (click to show)

Please help Zoe reach level 100. She was named in memory of my wonderful canine family member that passed away on September 26th.

+Quote Post

PeachyMomo
post May 9 2009, 11:08 AM
Post #6

Cuddlemaster.
Group Icon

Canine Dream Team

Ah, that is a good point.

I've also wondered, can they die? In some of the movies, they act like the legendaries will die [Giratina] but I thought they could only faint?

This post has been edited by PeachyMomo: May 9 2009, 11:09 AM

--------------------

Dream Team.

Claims (click to show)
Groups (click to show)
+Quote Post

Mukumuku
post May 9 2009, 11:17 AM
Post #7

A Pirate Ninja!
Group Icon

Member No.: 12 333

Ice Pokemon are Win

And then you have to think about some of the other attacks... like hyper beam. How do pokemon live through these things?! It sounds pretty darn painful to me.

About the pokeballs... How do you fit a snorlax into a pokeball? Dragonite? Even something small like Pikachu would still be squashed...

Atill, it IS just a game, albeit a somewhat morally incorrect one. I'd say most people notice these things, but choose to ignore them for the sake of their happy gaming times.

--------------------
i daresay, this empty signature is strikingly attractive.

+Quote Post

PsygnosDoraemon
post May 9 2009, 11:30 AM
Post #8

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 16 903

*Generic Party Title*

I never thought of that ether, until someone named CheezyWeapon (Not here, I don't think, and he wouldn't bother) viewed the objective as "10 year olds who go out without adult supervision, enslaving animals in the forest or somewhere."

And yes, I'm sure Pokémon do die. Ether the battles become so lethal it leads to a fatality of these creatures, or they come to age like natural animals ether in the wild or in captivity do. The level of these creatures should not resemble indication of age, but they sure do grow quickly.

--------------------

Breeding-
gallade.gif / gardevoir.gif
+Quote Post

PeachyMomo
post May 9 2009, 11:36 AM
Post #9

Cuddlemaster.
Group Icon

Canine Dream Team

Yes. I question all these things but I still love Pokemon xD But it's something to ponder, surely.

--------------------

Dream Team.

Claims (click to show)
Groups (click to show)
+Quote Post

misa acar
post May 9 2009, 11:41 AM
Post #10

THE worthless blobb
Group Icon

Member No.: 8 886

dream team

i think f those things all the time... There are a lot more thing in the pokemon TV series thats not appropetate for little kids either, i willl not point them out though... Also the show sugarcoats things to seperate them from reality, i mean team rocket should be dead, so should half the pokemon, not to mention ash, or a least a few broken bones for some of the characters... I guess the creators dont think of these things they should compare reality, they should at least make another pokemon series that does use reality for older kids(teens) who can pick these things out i think that would be neat grin.gif

--------------------
All events eggs! Help them hatch!
---------

My Pokemon (click to show)
+Quote Post

Lummi
post May 9 2009, 01:39 PM
Post #11

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 16 671

HeartGold Party

Well, pokemon battles only last until someone faints, right? So, I believe if a pokemon keeps attacking a fainted opponent, it will eventually kill that opponent. I think in a real pokemon society, using a pokemon to attack a person would be a crime. It just makes sense when you consider the power even the weakest pokemon has.

"Also, why is it okay for Ash to catch any Pokemon he likes but not Team Rocket or other "bad" guys?"

I hate that. It's the biggest thing I hate about the show. I like seeing Team Rocket grow as characters and letting them catch pokemon is a way for them to grow away from trying to steal some stupid pikachu.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Seadragon
post May 9 2009, 10:55 PM
Post #12

Splash
Group Icon

Member No.: 926

Active Squad

You are insane. This is a game. None of it actually happens. No one is really hurt. The Pokemon do not feel emotion or pain. They are merely pixels.

--------------------
magnemite.gif poliwhirl.gif Poliwhirl and Magnemite are claimed by me! poliwhirl.gif magnemite.gif

If you want to have a uber on your team, fine. Use one. Don't let other people stop you from having Pokemon you want on your team unless you tell them to. I don't think there's anything wrong with ubers, so I gladly use my Lugia. If you want to have a uber on your team, don't leave them sitting in a box just because someone said they're wrong. Take them out and stick em' in your team, dangit!!

And remember kids, frogs are evil! They are. Have you ever looked at their eyes? PURE EVIL.

Click the eggs/Pokemon, I will ALWAYS return the favors. awesome.gif But if you're only going to only click one, click the Poliwhirl.
+Quote Post

Blastoise
post May 10 2009, 06:54 AM
Post #13

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 21 041

Best animations

QUOTE(Mukumuku @ May 9 2009, 12:17 PM) *
And then you have to think about some of the other attacks... like hyper beam. How do pokemon live through these things?! It sounds pretty darn painful to me.

About the pokeballs... How do you fit a snorlax into a pokeball? Dragonite? Even something small like Pikachu would still be squashed...

Atill, it IS just a game, albeit a somewhat morally incorrect one. I'd say most people notice these things, but choose to ignore them for the sake of their happy gaming times.

I think when someone puts a Pokemon into a Pokeball, the Pokemon shrinks until removed from the Pokeball.

--------------------

(Nope, I'm not getting rid of that broken image. RIP, vDex. -_-2.gif )
+Quote Post

Blastoise
post May 10 2009, 06:56 AM
Post #14

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 21 041

Best animations

QUOTE(Seadragon @ May 9 2009, 11:55 PM) *
You are insane. This is a game. None of it actually happens. No one is really hurt. The Pokemon do not feel emotion or pain. They are merely pixels.

You have a terrible imagination, dont you?

--------------------

(Nope, I'm not getting rid of that broken image. RIP, vDex. -_-2.gif )
+Quote Post

PeachyMomo
post May 10 2009, 02:21 PM
Post #15

Cuddlemaster.
Group Icon

Canine Dream Team

Why don't you actually READ the topic?

This post has been edited by PeachyMomo: May 10 2009, 02:37 PM

--------------------

Dream Team.

Claims (click to show)
Groups (click to show)
+Quote Post

DragonSpear
post May 12 2009, 10:40 PM
Post #16

The forums' idiot
Group Icon

Member No.: 11 308

I CLAIM SALAMENCE

I think pokemon introduces the idea of animal enslavement. In one of the anime episodes, do you really think that a rapidash would let ash on his/her back? That's like horse back riding, you whip or spur the poor animal until it gets traumatised to let you ride on its back.

This post has been edited by DragonSpear: May 12 2009, 10:42 PM

--------------------
Thank you JelloJolteon, for my avatar
+Quote Post

Matdredalia
post May 13 2009, 01:56 AM
Post #17

Pokemon Breeder Extraordinaire
Group Icon

Member No.: 10 195

My Favorites

I've thought about some of these things, but Pokemon are a lot more self-aware than animals and most of them have some level of choice in what they do. Notice how Ash gets singed, shocked, and whacked more than a few times before his Pokemon learn to trust him?

Also, if I remember correctly, Pokeballs are actually null-space pockets so they actually are quite roomy.
+Quote Post

Seadragon
post May 16 2009, 06:54 PM
Post #18

Splash
Group Icon

Member No.: 926

Active Squad

QUOTE(PeachyMomo @ May 10 2009, 02:21 PM) *

Why don't you actually READ the topic?

Mind you, I have as a matter of fact. I just believe it's ridiculous anyone could be influenced by a game to promote animal cruelty. I also believe that no one should debate about Pokemon on a screen and question whether they die or not. It's all very ridiculous and if anything, we should debate about bigger issues than Pokemon.

--------------------
magnemite.gif poliwhirl.gif Poliwhirl and Magnemite are claimed by me! poliwhirl.gif magnemite.gif

If you want to have a uber on your team, fine. Use one. Don't let other people stop you from having Pokemon you want on your team unless you tell them to. I don't think there's anything wrong with ubers, so I gladly use my Lugia. If you want to have a uber on your team, don't leave them sitting in a box just because someone said they're wrong. Take them out and stick em' in your team, dangit!!

And remember kids, frogs are evil! They are. Have you ever looked at their eyes? PURE EVIL.

Click the eggs/Pokemon, I will ALWAYS return the favors. awesome.gif But if you're only going to only click one, click the Poliwhirl.
+Quote Post

Tommeh
post May 16 2009, 06:56 PM
Post #19

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 14 058

Firered Team!

Well, this is all a little silly. Come on, it's Pokémon. It's described as a magical place and all that doolally stuff! xD
Animal abuse is much too serious!

--------------------
+Quote Post

Xdogking
post May 17 2009, 05:26 PM
Post #20

Would you care for some Bone-Meringue Pie?
Group Icon

From: Making Bone-Meringue Pie for Marowak and Octillery.
Member No.: 24 166

Team EpicSauce

I do think it's a little much for people to call it dogfighting... blink.gif

Though attacking Humans...That disturbs me. IT should Be Pokemon vs. Pokemon, or Human vs. Human. It reminds me of the Golden compass with the Daemons.

I always imagined Pokeballs as a hotel suite. Go figure.

--------------------

Extended Team EpicSauce.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:28 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.