Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Currently Reading!, What book are you reading?
Cryptic Lyric
post Jan 6 2017, 12:24 PM
Post #1

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 49 893

Favorites

Since I love to read and love discussing books, I was wondering if anyone else would like a thread to just post what you are reading, what you think of it, anything you recommend, or whatever else comes to mind about books!

I am currently reading The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman. I'm only about three chapters in, but it is really interesting so far. Basically, there is this secret Library that connects all sorts of alternate worlds and universes, and their main purpose is to find and collect rare or interesting pieces of literature. Apparently, some of the worlds are controlled by dragons, others are just like our modern world but everything is powered by magic instead of science. It's interesting, and I hope it stays good.

What about you guys?

--------------------

Fan of most things nerdy. Currently obsessed with Critical Role, D&D, Sun Haven. Always in love with Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Pokemon (obviously), and a bunch of other things.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Jalakins
post Jan 6 2017, 02:15 PM
Post #2

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 152 251

Favorites

That book sounds very interesting! I'm super into fantasy right now for some reason (typically read fantasy, YA fantasy/sci fi, some romance and/or supernatural romance, and science fiction). I also get all these cool free books from BookBub and email lists, etc. So I am currently reading The Flame and the Arrow by Emigh Cannaday. I think it's more of a YA novel, which is why I'm only in chapter 5 right now, but I've been tempted to switch over to The Chemist by Stephanie Meyer. Yes, I read all the Twilight books when they were big, and they were okay. But her book The Host was amazing. I read it twice in a row, I loved it so much. And no, the movie did not do it justice. Seriously - highly recommend this book. So I'm hoping this new one follows along those lines and is good too. I haven't started it yet though.

--------------------
~

There is no shelter from the storm. Lightning strikes when you least expect it.

+Quote Post

Gym Leader Clay
post Jan 7 2017, 02:06 PM
Post #3

doot doot
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 21 031

R/S/E favorites

I'm gonna check these books out. I need more Readz

The Host was surprisingly good tbh. I don't think that the Twilight books were horrible, per se, but after reading the Host, I'm almost positive that the editors or whatever influenced Twilight. There has to be explanation for the difference in quality between the two books.

Not sure what to say about what I'm reading. I mean, classic literature is classic for a reason. I'm just about to start Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson god I hope I got that right. The book is still packed up from the recent move. its a pretty familiar story, I'd say, though of course adaptions muck it up. The original story is more an example of black and grey morality than manh adaptions and parodies make it seem. Dr. Jekyll more like Dr. JERKyll am I right? Ah ha ha ha. I'm also reading a collection of stories written by Edgar Allan Poe. I can't remember which story is next, because that's another book that's still packed up @_@ explain to me why I didn't carry my books on my person.

So yeah, books by dead guys?? awesome right?

--------------------

|Gpx+ Party|Twitter|Deviantart|Tumblr|
groups (click to show)
+Quote Post

Cryptic Lyric
post Jan 8 2017, 10:11 AM
Post #4

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Favorites

I need to work my way through the classics, but I am far too interested in fantasy and sci fi to just abandon those genres for long periods of time.

I've been meaning to check out The Host since everyone says that is her best work. I did enjoy the Twilight books when they came out, but I was also in middle school at the time. The stories weren't terrible, but they weren't the greatest either.

While I'm still working on The Invisible Library, two books I finished within the past week are A Face Like Glass by Frances Hardinge and Still Life with Tornado by A.S. King. Both of these books were phenomenal reads for different reasons. Still Life is a contemporary surrealist novel about a teenage girl struggling with finding a meaning in life that is guided along by versions of herself at different ages. A Face Like Glass is about a 12-year-old girl that forgot the first 5 years of her life, and has spent the rest of it in this strange underground world were people have to learn to make different expressions, instead of being able to contour the face naturally. She, on the other hand, is from the outside where faces are normal, and that scares everyone. Both were great, and I would highly recommend them!

--------------------

Fan of most things nerdy. Currently obsessed with Critical Role, D&D, Sun Haven. Always in love with Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Pokemon (obviously), and a bunch of other things.
+Quote Post

Gym Leader Clay
post Jan 18 2017, 09:57 PM
Post #5

doot doot
Group Icon

Member No.: 21 031

R/S/E favorites

I'm definitely taking these recommendations to heart, since sci fi and fantasy is actually more my expertise wink.gif too bad I've lived through a reading desert these past few years because of complicated reasons.

Heck, even though I'm reading teh classics, they're still along the lines of that? Admittedly more horror, but I find that horror often blends well with fantasy and sci fi, eh?

Because Netflix did a Big Thing, I've started to reread A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket with my girlfriend. We're currently on the second book, the Reptile Room. Not exactly challenging reads, being children's books, but, eh. . . when you've literally carried a copy of Frankenstein in your purse you're allowed to reread stuff you read when you were ten.. . right? Right??

I have to say though how the awful stuff in the books hit me more than when I was a kid. I used to not bat an eye but now I'm like "oh my god child abuse???" the one I'm currently reading did hit me a bit hard when I was young but that's because I always loved herpetology.

--------------------

|Gpx+ Party|Twitter|Deviantart|Tumblr|
groups (click to show)
+Quote Post

Schizoid
post Feb 21 2017, 07:28 PM
Post #6

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 243 892

The Friendly Bunch

I've recently been reading Dreamcatcher by Stephen King, a true classic in my opinion so I just had to read it (Especially after watching the movie). I'm still in the beginning but it already has an unnerving quality that makes me know I shouldn't read it at night. It's not terrifying, but it definitely makes you think about things you'd rather not think about, and that certainly is scary. I'm also reading Through Wolf Eyes by Jane Lindskold. I'm not sure I like it a lot but it's definitely an interesting read. It has a lot of politics in it, which is not my favorite but it's fantasy which makes it better for me. happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Cryptic Lyric
post Feb 24 2017, 11:14 AM
Post #7

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Favorites

Oh, that's cool! Dreamcatcher is actually the only Stephen King that I've read, and I do love the movie! I haven't heard of the other book, but I may have to give it a chance.

Due to being an English/Philosophy double major, I don't have much time for pleasure reading this semester. I am currently reading a few books, though.
-Feed by MT Anderson
-I, Tituba, Black Witch of Salem by Maryse Conde
-Herculine Barbin 'by' Michel Foucault
-Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin

Tituba was an amazing read, though a bit short. Feed is weird, but it is a classic of YA so that is pretty neat. I haven't started the Baldwin piece, and Herculine Barbin is a series of memoirs about an intersex person in 19th century France. Dull, but interesting to see the mindset of someone with an "other" gender in a time that did not allow that at all.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Naixatloz
post Apr 7 2017, 09:44 PM
Post #8

A-set, you bet!
Group Icon

Member No.: 56 857

I'm reading Columbine by Dave Cullen. I've read it once before, but I was recently trying to prove a point in an argument with someone who had no idea what they were talking about, and realized I'd forgotten a lot of the book. So I'm reading it again so I can actually definitively say I know what I'm talking about.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Gryphaena
post Apr 7 2017, 10:10 PM
Post #9

She Who Can Be Voracious
Group Icon

Member No.: 79 103

My Purple Ones

When I find it in my room again I'll read "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff (for teens)".

I can worry a lot and I pissed someone off cause he said I worry about "stupid shit", so I guess I can look at the book again.

--------------------
Avatar by Cycloneblaze at Cycloneshop II

GPX+GPX+

Poliwager Poliwager
+Quote Post

Amberfunk
post Apr 8 2017, 07:16 AM
Post #10

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 105 850

Beautiful Change

I don't have much time for reading anymore but I'm trying to in between life stuff. I am working on reading Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman. His books are amazing. American Gods is one of my all time favorites and I'm really looking forward to the tv series starting at the end of the month.

--------------------

Credits (click to show)
+Quote Post

yellowsofa
post Aug 10 2017, 04:15 PM
Post #11

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 166 000

FAVOURITE

I'm currently reading A Vintage Wedding by Katie Fforde
I love her books. I'm a sop for happy ever after romance books.
People such as Cathy Woodman and Milly Johnson I adore.
So if you have any recommendations of those, I'm all ears!

--------------------
Please click my pretties

Banner and avatar made by Cycloneblaze at Cycloneshop II

Extras (click to show)

+Quote Post

Zabimaru
post Jan 6 2018, 04:13 PM
Post #12

I Dream of Ponyta
Group Icon

Member No.: 16 541

FIRE!!!

Im not currently reading anything XD I am inbetween library trips so yeah sad.gif I did get the entire Immortals quartet by Tamora Pierce (YA) for Christmas but I read all of them already xD Now I'm just waiting for February when the first book of her new series is supposed to hit shelves cat.gif

Hopefully on Monday I can make a run to the library (Tuesday at the latest) and grab some books to tide me over for a week or two.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Amberfunk
post Jan 6 2018, 08:35 PM
Post #13

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 105 850

Beautiful Change

I'm rereading American Gods by Neil Gaiman and It by Stephen King. I actually got the series of American Gods for christmas and they just butchered the book. The show is good by itself. It's entertaining and everything but it changed so much from the book.

It by Stephen King is a good read. It's very long at over 1000 pages but worth it. I haven't read it in over a decade so I'm enjoying it.

--------------------

Credits (click to show)
+Quote Post

MrSmiles
post Jan 15 2018, 08:12 PM
Post #14

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 164 375

Some of my favorites

This hasn't been active for awhile, but apparently it has been revived?
Anyways, I'm trying to finish pretty much every book on my bookshelf that has either not been read or has not been finished. And that is a lot. I own a lot of books. Currently working on Behemoth which I started in high school 4 years ago. Yeah, it's been that long.

--------------------

Feel free to friend me! teehee.gif
+Quote Post

StarNightingale
post Jan 16 2018, 01:30 PM
Post #15

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 252 142

Some of my Favorites

I'm not reading anything at the moment but I want to finish A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Mass and start Flame in the Mist by Renée Ahdieh.

--------------------
Currently Playing: Pokemon Pearl

Trinket Collection:
820/4121

Current Shiny Hunts

~Swablu - Currently at 180 eggs~
~Roggenrola - Currently at 125 eggs~ Cancled
~Jolteon - Currently at 27 eggs~
~Dratini - Currently at 10 eggs~
~SWSH Corsola - Currently at 8 eggs~

Completed Shiny Hunts
~Absol - 79 eggs~
~Eevee - 188 eggs~
~SWSH Electrike - 367 eggs~
~Vaporeon - 264 eggs~
~Flareon - 53 eggs~
~Mudkip - 402 eggs~
~SWSH Corsola - 105 eggs~
+Quote Post

Cryptic Lyric
post Mar 8 2018, 12:27 PM
Post #16

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Favorites

Awesome to see that this thread hasn't completely died!

So far, 2018 has been the year of me rereading books I love. I've been reading Harry Potter again for a class of mine. And I've been reading through the Witchlands series by Susan Dennard. Reading Sightwitch (a prequel novella) when it came out made me want to go back and read the first two books again. Plus, I get to meet the author this weekend, so I'm absolutely stoked!!

--------------------

+Quote Post

StarNightingale
post Mar 8 2018, 02:49 PM
Post #17

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 252 142

Some of my Favorites

That sounds awesome! meeting authors is always so much fun.

--------------------
Currently Playing: Pokemon Pearl

Trinket Collection:
820/4121

Current Shiny Hunts

~Swablu - Currently at 180 eggs~
~Roggenrola - Currently at 125 eggs~ Cancled
~Jolteon - Currently at 27 eggs~
~Dratini - Currently at 10 eggs~
~SWSH Corsola - Currently at 8 eggs~

Completed Shiny Hunts
~Absol - 79 eggs~
~Eevee - 188 eggs~
~SWSH Electrike - 367 eggs~
~Vaporeon - 264 eggs~
~Flareon - 53 eggs~
~Mudkip - 402 eggs~
~SWSH Corsola - 105 eggs~
+Quote Post

Wastelander
post Mar 10 2018, 06:55 AM
Post #18

True king
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 552

The Runaways

QUOTE(Amberfunk @ Jan 7 2018, 02:35 AM) *
I'm rereading American Gods by Neil Gaiman and It by Stephen King. I actually got the series of American Gods for christmas and they just butchered the book. The show is good by itself. It's entertaining and everything but it changed so much from the book.

It by Stephen King is a good read. It's very long at over 1000 pages but worth it. I haven't read it in over a decade so I'm enjoying it.

Did it though? Because I've read through the book and watched the show and I quite enjoyed the bits and moments they added to the show to help explain some parts better than the book did. The stuff with Laura in particular comes to mind. I wonder how they'll adapt the battle at rock city and the thunderbird part with Shadow.

As for myself, I got a couple books in my backlog, It being one of them. I just finished reading South by Frank Owen, which was a nice post-apocalyptic kind of read if a little predictable by the end.

At the moment I am reading Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman and lovin' his spin on norse mythos, The Last Days Of Jack Sparks by Jason Arnopp, which has turned out to be a different kind of read than what I'm used to, but still good all the same, Blood Mage by Stephen Aryan, the second book of the Age Of Darkness trilogy which I am absolutely enthralled with and then, finally, Thor: The Tales Of Asgard Trilogy because I have a need for a Marvel Thor fix at the moment, lmao.

I would like to finish up and read the rest of Aryan's books, including Chaos Mage and his new trilogy which I think is being called the Age Of Dread? And I also got another fantasy-esque books waiting in the wings called The Vagrant by Peter Newman, which seems to be part of a series.

Oh, and I wish to return to the Merchant Princess and The Expanse serieses, which I kinda gave up on. Whoops.

This post has been edited by Wastelander: Mar 10 2018, 06:57 AM

--------------------

Software engineer by day. Hermit writer by night.
nothing is impossible chasing a super hero on the run
+Quote Post

AregularFrankief...
post Mar 15 2018, 07:00 PM
Post #19

hroo hraa 🎃
Group Icon

Member No.: 221 574

Active Squad

I'm honestly just re-reading the Emerald arc of Pokemon Special/Adventures. Figured that I could stand to brush up on it, plus I somehow never read the beginning of it as a kid and instead came in halfway through.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Devilyn
post Apr 11 2018, 04:43 PM
Post #20

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 253 619

Active Squad

I'm currently re-reading The Poison Tree by Erin Kelly and I've just finished The Adversary by Emmanuel Carrere - I mostly read a lot of Kathy Reichs, Dean Koontz, Anne Rice etc. I love reading and quite happily admit to having a Goodreads account to keep track of what I've read 🤓
+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:40 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.