Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Losing Interest
Thunder Smash
post May 10 2013, 09:06 AM
Post #1

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 109 263

Some Favorites

I know I shouldn't really be comparing games, but I've been recently playing Pokmon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity. Comparing this to the other Mystery Dungeon games, it seems they have extremely slowed down the tone, i.e: more kid-friendly.

This makes me think that they'll do the same thing for Pokemon X/Y, and this makes me worried. At the beginning of the announcement, I was excited for the starters, story, and new Pokemon. As time goes on, however, my hope of the new games is kind of going downhill. It's not like I'm going to blow-off the franchise, I still love Pokemon, it's just that... Yeah.

What do you guys think?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

jayrachi
post May 10 2013, 09:17 AM
Post #2

Janitor
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 133 427

wat

I feel like it may be the contrary; Pokemon's tones seem to get more serious with each passing game, especially if you note the backstories of some Pokemon and the story of the game in general (well, other than B/W2).

--------------------
+Quote Post

ShrapnelStars
post May 10 2013, 10:30 AM
Post #3

Well, I wish I'd wished you well
Group Icon

Member No.: 4 143

Let Us In

It feels like they're doing both at the same time. Pokemon entries and story elements become more mature, but when it comes to gameplay and mechanics, they want to hold your hand and babysit you for as long as possible.

In both BW and 2, if you try to move through the game with only one Pokemon in your party, NPC's keep nagging you about it. At a certain point, they outright stop you from progressing in the game unless you have at least 2(BW) or 3(BW2) Pokemon in your party. You can't skip any form of tutorial, and they spell everything out for you in a way that insults even a child's intelligence. I want that part to stop.

The Dream World is another beautiful example of this phenomenon in action. You have to play little boring kiddie minigames to get certain abilities and moves on certain Pokemon, but most of them are abilities and moves that only an older/competitive player would see as useful or interesting.

There's a fair chance that all of this might just be because Gen 5 was a reboot generation designed to transition in people who are new to the franchise. It could easily stop when Gen 6 comes out.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Yamper
post May 10 2013, 10:42 AM
Post #4

Axew and Volcarona enthusiast
Group Icon

Member No.: 61 211

Invisible Kyurem

QUOTE(Indoor Survival @ May 10 2013, 04:30 PM) *
It feels like they're doing both at the same time. Pokemon entries and story elements become more mature, but when it comes to gameplay and mechanics, they want to hold your hand and babysit you for as long as possible.

In both BW and 2, if you try to move through the game with only one Pokemon in your party, NPC's keep nagging you about it. At a certain point, they outright stop you from progressing in the game unless you have at least 2(BW) or 3(BW2) Pokemon in your party. You can't skip any form of tutorial, and they spell everything out for you in a way that insults even a child's intelligence. I want that part to stop.

The Dream World is another beautiful example of this phenomenon in action. You have to play little boring kiddie minigames to get certain abilities and moves on certain Pokemon, but most of them are abilities and moves that only an older/competitive player would see as useful or interesting.

There's a fair chance that all of this might just be because Gen 5 was a reboot generation designed to transition in people who are new to the franchise. It could easily stop when Gen 6 comes out.

Man I totally forgot the Dream World actually existed.

I do see where TS is coming from, though. I'm not feeling as.. excited as I was when I looked up the new starters and legendaries (which to be honest, I haven't loved the legends AND starters together since Gen 3). I feel as if they're holding back.. we haven't heard much at all.

I do think that they're following the pattern of: New Pokémon, additions to previous generation, but I think compared to the others they're being much more secretive. I suppose when more news does come out (hopefully in a few days) the feelings towards the games will pick up. Although, if they present another new form for a previous Pokémon I won't be too happy. Deep down I really want to see at least the first evolution of the new starters.

The moving on so soon in BW and B2W2 was irritating, I agree. I guess kids younger than us still play and in a sense it makes sense as to why they have it there, but if there was a way to turn it off I'd definitely love that too. Oh and if they announce that they're bringing back features such as the VS Seeker, Poké Radar and being able to plant berries in your game without having to go to some shitty website, I'll be happy.

That being said I know it won't happen >_>

--------------------

Don't forget to love yourself.
Add me for daily clicks: 873/1000

[align=center]---

Community Thread Shiny List!

---[/align]
[align=right]Breeding Incentives: Mission Cards
[/align]
+Quote Post

ShrapnelStars
post May 10 2013, 11:10 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Let Us In

New info comes out on the 19th, and it's supposed to be a lot of stuff.

DW got so annoying due to how many freaking restrictions were on it (and still are). >:/ I use it to change my C-Gear/Pokedex bg and nothing else. It sucks so hard.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Yamper
post May 10 2013, 11:27 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Invisible Kyurem

Oh really? Well I hope so. I feel they've kept far too much from us.. and I do agree, I never really used it for much. I used it for a bit in the past for BW and berry growing, sometimes changing the C-Gear skin and Pokédex skin (like yourself) and searching for a few certain Pokémon (Poliwag and Vulpix mainly). It also kept booting me off as-well. The time limit is annoying to the point where it kicks you off automatically because you were trying to finish something off :/

I just hope they don't disappoint on the 19th, now. It'll be nice to have some news when exams are coming to an end.

--------------------

[align=center]---

---[/align]
[/align]
+Quote Post

ShrapnelStars
post May 10 2013, 12:02 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Let Us In

Serebii says any point between Wednesday and May 19 for the new info.

JBGEJBERGBRV If you don't log into the DW for a certain amount of time, they kill all your growing berries except for 1 of each type you had planted. That made me ragequit the whole thing really early on and just use a cheat code for my berries. They do need to put them back in the overworld if we have to deal with nonsense like that.

Also, if you play your game on another DS/3DS, then switch back, they add a 24 hour penalty to using game sync. I found that out when using my old DS to cheat in berries, then switching back to my 3DS to finish playing on a better screen. >:(

In retrospect, if they had held off on the Gen 6 announcement until around now, it wouldn't have been as frustrating. They wouldn't have had to hold out on info because they would have done it on the front end. I was expecting little scheduled teaser blurbs and beta pictures every month or so when they did the announcement in January.

Irrational Games constantly released trailers and little bits of info on the world throughout the development of Bioshock Infinite, which had been delayed 3 times. In the end, a bunch of stuff had been cut or re-purposed (5 games worth, they say), but nobody really minded because the ride to completion was a ton of fun and engaged the fans (they had voting on alternate covers, you could talk to the devs and voice actors on twitter, etc. Also, the final product was still astounding and didn't feel like anything was cut, and due to the nature of the plot, cut content was still regarded as a form of canon).

If one triple-A company can show love and pride for even unused beta concepts, surely a massive, famous company and franchise like Game Freak can spare a little info on what goes into their games. Time flies when you're having fun/cheerful company shortens the miles, that kind of stuff. That's what I'm getting at.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Yamper
post May 10 2013, 02:49 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Invisible Kyurem

Yeah... I was quite upset that I lost everything on my original white when I loaded it up with my black 2 :/ Not everyone has the time to go on the dream world every day!

I had a look on Serebii.. I hope that it's a lot of juicy stuff. Perhaps a bit of an insight into the story too.. that would be pretty damn cool! Although I'm not staying up until 11pm or so my time just to watch it (I probably will) but idk. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

If they disappoint then they do. I do think they should have held out until around now. 5 months until the games release and we know.. nothing. We know 7 different pokémon. I'm pretty sure we knew about quite a lot of Pokémon with Generation 5 releasings :/

--------------------

[align=center]---

---[/align]
[/align]
+Quote Post

jayrachi
post May 10 2013, 03:00 PM
Post #9

Janitor
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 133 427

wat

QUOTE(Indoor Survival @ May 10 2013, 11:30 AM) *

Ah, I hadn't noticed the whole one Pokemon thing - I usually stick with using a full party fairly early on. Tutorials are something Nintendo's been pissing me off with ever since the Wii was released. The tutorial for Skyward Sword, for example, was ridiculous and the amount of hand-holding literally is the reason I didn't finish the game halfway through.

I miss games where you were thrown in and you had to use a fair amount of deduction to figure things out (ie Legend of Zelda or Metroid). Nintendo doesn't seem to have that touch any more, which is saddening.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Letan
post May 10 2013, 05:04 PM
Post #10

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 1 219

Lugia Hype

QUOTE(Thunder Smash @ May 10 2013, 10:06 AM) *
I know I shouldn't really be comparing games, but I've been recently playing Pokmon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity. Comparing this to the other Mystery Dungeon games, it seems they have extremely slowed down the tone, i.e: more kid-friendly.

This makes me think that they'll do the same thing for Pokemon X/Y, and this makes me worried. At the beginning of the announcement, I was excited for the starters, story, and new Pokemon. As time goes on, however, my hope of the new games is kind of going downhill. It's not like I'm going to blow-off the franchise, I still love Pokemon, it's just that... Yeah.

What do you guys think?

Woah woah woah. Woah.

The PMD series is developed by Spike Chunsoft.

The main games are developed by Game Freak.

Lumping the two together would be like saying you're starting to dislike hamburgers because Burger King's aren't as good as Five Guys'. The thing is, every generation people are always saying "this is the generation where I'm going to stop liking Pokemon!" and "the new Pokemon all suck!" It's a cyclical trend that I've noticed since Diamond and Pearl were first announced, something this fanbase is notorious for. However, every time we're presented with yet another excellent addition to the main series. There hasn't been a "terrible" Pokemon game unless you consider the sheer brokenness of the first generation.

Basically, I'd wait until the games actually come out before deciding whether or not to stick with the franchise. Don't let spinoffs developed by completely different studios determine whether or not you're going to pick up the next installment of the main series. I'd definitely suggest keeping your eyes glued to Pokemon news sites, especially within the next 7 days since the next announcement seems bigger than a new form/new evolution.

...And yeah I never got PMD: Gates to Infinity after hearing how cut down the game is compared to previous ones. dry.gif

--------------------
[align=center]

=- Game Dev, currently making a game called Cursed Seasons. I tweet about it sometimes. -=
http://cursedseasons.tumblr.com/
Discord is a thing

[/align]
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:49 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.