Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
pokemon beta names, bizarre
Blax8192
post Mar 10 2008, 07:20 PM
Post #1

Never turn down a really good pie...
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 961

Active Squad

I have procured a list of beta names for pokemon from the original 150 thaks to our friends at glitchcity, I'll try to explain some of them, most of them if you don't get you should go shoot yourself tofurther natural selection though

Kakuna --------Kokoon
Pidgey ---------Pidge
Rattata --------Rattatak
Ekans ----------Arbo
Sandslash ------Sandstorm
Clefairy ---------Aria
Clefable --------Ariala
Vulpix ----------Foxfire
Paras -----------Parasyte
Diglett ----------Digda
Growlithe -------Flamie
Arcanine -------Blaze
Abra ------------Hocus (most likely changed because of alakazam)
Kadabra --------Pocus (most likely changed because of alakazam)
Machop --------Kara-tee
Machoke -------Kung-foo
Machamp -------Ju-doh (martial arts)
Tentacool ------Jilly
Tentacruel -----Man O War
Rapidash -------Gallop
Slowpoke -------Slowmo
Magnemite -----Coil
Magneton ------Recoil
Duduo ---------Dodo
Dewgong -------Manaty (manatee)
Gastly ---------Spirit
Haunter -------Spectre
Gengar --------Phantom
Cubone --------Orphon
Marowak ------Guardia
Lickitung ------Tonguetyd
Koffing --------Ny (new york (pollution))
Weezing -------La (los angeles(pollution))
Chansey -------Lucky
Tangela --------Meduza (medusa)
Goldeen --------Goldy
Seaking --------Neptune (god of sea(roman))
Scyther --------Stryke
Gyarados -------Skulkraken (kraken, legendary sea monster)
Lapras ----------Ness (nessie, loch ness monster)
Eevee ----------Eon (all the eeveelutions names end in eon)
Omanyte -------Ess
Omastar -------Kargo (raw snails, french eat them)
Kabuto --------Att
Kabutops ------Lantis
Aerodactyl -----Ptera
Dratini ---------Dragoon
Dragonair ------Dragyn

any thoughts?

--------------------
These are my Topics which you should read, but probably won't (click to showhide)
=mine
A glimpse into my mind(by clicking you are signing a waiver on your sanity) (click to showhide)
(\_/)
\(n.n)/
(")_(")
this is evil bunny, copy and paste him into your sig and help him keep bunny from taking over the world!!!
I didn't want to put this in tags but the length was bugging me . . . just open it (click to showhide)
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

suzyk
post Mar 10 2008, 07:40 PM
Post #2

None of us are virgins, life has screwed us all.
Group Icon

Member No.: 945

Shameless Man Whores

ahahahahahaa Pocus? What the hell?

Tenacruel- Man O War. Oh yeah, name it after a siphonophore. That's a cry for help, Nintendo. How generic.

But I really, really loved Gyarados' almost name out of them all. Skulkraken. How can you not like that? Seriously? I'm sure little kids all around the world will be repeating that to their parents, eh? Some scenario's:

"Mommy, I just caught a Skulraken!" "A skull-what?!"

Slowpoke, Slowmo? "Dude, like my TV is sooo slowmo, man!" "Isn't Slowmo a Pokemon, though?" 'What? Huhn? Damn that Nintendo!"

Lickitung, Tonguetyd: "Honey, I'm Tonguetyd for you." "Sweetie, please don't use Pokemon names when we're getting lovey-dovey, ok?"

Haunter, Spectre: "Dude, I just beat that Spectre in Halo 3!" "What the heck? Spectre's a Pokemon..."

Doduo, Dodo: "So class, that's how the Dodo bird became extinct." But Dodo's in Pokemon in the wild only faint and come back..." "Son, what do you do everyday?"
+Quote Post

Commander Wymsy
post Mar 10 2008, 08:25 PM
Post #3

Megalomaniac out for world domination
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 3

Greatest Team Ever

QUOTE(Blax8192 @ Mar 10 2008, 05:20 PM) *
Ekans ----------Arbo
Diglett ----------Digda
Rapidash -------Gallop
Slowpoke -------Slowmo
Magnemite -----Coil
Magneton ------Recoil
Duduo ---------Dodo
Chansey -------Lucky
Scyther --------Stryke

Japanese names. Funnily enough, when they finalised the names, they switched back to some of the Japanese ones (Kabuto, Gyarados, etc.).

--------------------
Overtaken by Net & Zodi on that track!
+Quote Post

suzyk
post Mar 10 2008, 08:46 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Shameless Man Whores

The Japanese need to think of fun names. sad.gif 'Slowmo' sounds kind of boring. Never heard of the Matrix, huh?

Chansey and Lucky. It works, but I like 'Chansey' because it sounds better.
+Quote Post

Commander Wymsy
post Mar 10 2008, 09:03 PM
Post #5

Megalomaniac out for world domination
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 3

Greatest Team Ever

QUOTE(suzyk @ Mar 10 2008, 06:46 PM) *
The Japanese need to think of fun names. sad.gif 'Slowmo' sounds kind of boring. Never heard of the Matrix, huh?

Slowpoke's Japanese name is Yadon. I said some of the names were put back into the Japanese names, not all of them. I'm just too lazy to list them. But yeah, some Japanese names are boring (Rat is Raticate and Pigeon is Pidgeotto).

--------------------
Overtaken by Net & Zodi on that track!
+Quote Post

suzyk
post Mar 10 2008, 09:09 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Shameless Man Whores

I assumed you posted literal translations. But really, Man O War. That's funny.

"Wild Man O War appeared! What will Pokemon Trainer do?"
+Quote Post

Pumpkin King
post Mar 11 2008, 01:35 PM
Post #7

Nevermore!
Group Icon

Member No.: 807

BLARG

QUOTE(suzyk @ Mar 10 2008, 07:40 PM) *
Doduo, Dodo: "So class, that's how the Dodo bird became extinct." But Dodo's in Pokemon in the wild only faint and come back..." "Son, what do you do everyday?"

that reminded me of what i did in biology the other day. we were talking about evolution and the teacher said "evolution is a very long process over time. it doesnt just happen overnight." and then im like "what about pokemon? they evolve quickly." and then the whole class started talking about pokemon and my teacher reduced my conduct grade... anyways, about the names, ny and la, thats so mean. the japanese obviously dont think very fondly of americans, or at least americans in big cities. those names r just retarded, but i would actually prefer some over the real names

--------------------

Think I'm cool? Follow me on tumblr.
Banner by Liquefy
+Quote Post

Blax8192
post Mar 11 2008, 02:56 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(suzyk @ Mar 10 2008, 10:09 PM) *
I assumed you posted literal translations. But really, Man O War. That's funny.

no, these were the names that NOA was going to release them as, they actually had them advertised and printed pokemon cards with these names(which are, I presume, very very rare now) I myself have a pokemon card with the name digda on it as the name and japanese attacks, but digda is actually typed out in english

QUOTE(sharksarentevil @ Mar 11 2008, 02:35 PM) *
QUOTE(suzyk @ Mar 10 2008, 07:40 PM) *

that reminded me of what i did in biology the other day. we were talking about evolution and the teacher said "evolution is a very long process over time. it doesnt just happen overnight." and then im like "what about pokemon? they evolve quickly." and then the whole class started talking about pokemon and my teacher reduced my conduct grade... anyways, about the names, ny and la, thats so mean. the japanese obviously dont think very fondly of americans, or at least americans in big cities. those names r just retarded, but i would actually prefer some over the real names

the names were translated by nintendo of america, the people in japan probably have no clue how badly NOA is butchering the pokemon names on the way over to english.

QUOTE(suzyk @ Mar 10 2008, 09:46 PM) *
Chansey and Lucky. It works, but I like 'Chansey' because it sounds better.

the japanese names are perfectly fine, it's the english that bite

QUOTE(suzyk @ Mar 10 2008, 08:40 PM) *
ahahahahahaa Pocus? What the hell?

well, I assume you didn't read abras because I forgot to bold next to it... they were Hocus Pocus, but since there was alakazam and they probably struggled to think of something not retarded to go at the end of hocus pocus, and not "voila!" somebody had the broght idea to go and change them to abra kadabra alakazam

QUOTE(suzyk @ Mar 10 2008, 08:40 PM) *
Tenacruel- Man O War. Oh yeah, name it after a siphonophore. That's a cry for help, Nintendo. How generic.

there was no such thing as generic, it was all original...

--------------------
These are my Topics which you should read, but probably won't (click to showhide)
=mine
A glimpse into my mind(by clicking you are signing a waiver on your sanity) (click to showhide)
(\_/)
\(n.n)/
(")_(")
this is evil bunny, copy and paste him into your sig and help him keep bunny from taking over the world!!!
I didn't want to put this in tags but the length was bugging me . . . just open it (click to showhide)
+Quote Post

suzyk
post Mar 11 2008, 03:03 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Shameless Man Whores

^Digda? I was making worst case scenario's anyways. For fun. In my opinion, the English names are better.

For example, Dusknoir. It's a decent name. 'Dusk' from English, and the word 'noir' (meaning black in French). Duskblack, black dusk. Now, if I knew the Japanese name... anyways, the point is that the English names use words from different langauges, and that makes it cool. Personally, I think Slowpoke is better than Slowmo.

It would have been fun if they named Gyarados 'Skulkraken' though. I love that name.
+Quote Post

Blax8192
post Mar 11 2008, 03:09 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Active Squad

kraken was actually a mythological giant octopus, so it might have gone better on octillery...

the umm...crap, I forgot...oh yeah...forgot...I hate ADD I feel like dory in finding neemo...YES, I have it, can you imaging how stupid the names we have now would sound if we'd kept the beta names?

--------------------
=mine
(\_/)
\(n.n)/
(")_(")
+Quote Post

suzyk
post Mar 11 2008, 03:12 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Shameless Man Whores

Man O War, Man O War! How original. No one would have bought Red and Blue then. XD

Tentacool-- Jilly. That is just plain original, man. I love it to pieces. I wouldn't mind some of the beta names, but they're worse than the Japanese (literal translation) ones.
+Quote Post

Blax8192
post Mar 13 2008, 02:47 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(Wymsy @ Mar 10 2008, 09:25 PM) *
Japanese names. Funnily enough, when they finalised the names, they switched back to some of the Japanese ones (Kabuto, Gyarados, etc.).

I guess its because they couldn't think of anything creative in english, besides, kabuto and kabutops sounds awesome

dropping all biases and just going by how they would be by looks of the pokemon and the name, forgetting the existence of the current names, here are the ones that I would like them to have used
Pidgey ---------Pidge
Ekans ----------Arbo (did you know arbok backwards is cobra, this must be before they had the bright idea to spell ------------------------ snake backwards)
Clefairy ---------Aria
Clefable --------Ariala
Vulpix ----------Foxfire
Diglett ----------Digda
Growlithe -------Flamie
Arcanine -------Blaze
Machop --------Kara-tee
Machoke -------Kung-foo
Machamp -------Ju-doh
Tentacool ------Jilly
Rapidash -------Gallop
Duduo ---------Dodo (yes, but only if the name was on a farfetch'd)
Dewgong -------Manaty
Gastly ---------Spirit
Haunter -------Spectre
Gengar --------Phantom
Cubone --------Orphon
Lickitung ------Tonguetyd
Tangela --------Meduza
Goldeen --------Goldy
Scyther --------Stryke
Gyarados -------Skulkraken
Lapras ----------Ness
Eevee ----------Eon (all the eeveelutions names end in eon)
Dragonair ------Dragyn (only on dragonite though)

--------------------
=mine
(\_/)
\(n.n)/
(")_(")
+Quote Post

Seadragon
post Mar 14 2008, 05:19 PM
Post #13

Splash
Group Icon

Member No.: 926

Active Squad

I like quite a few of these beta names.

QUOTE(Blax8192 @ Mar 10 2008, 07:20 PM) *
Clefairy ---------Aria
Clefable --------Ariala
Paras -----------Parasyte (I've never liked "Paras".)
Tentacool ------Jilly
Haunter -------Spectre
Cubone --------Orphon
Tangela --------Meduza
Goldeen --------Goldy (It should be "Goldee" or "Goldi")
Seaking --------Neptune (But, it should be "Neptoon". laughing.gif )
Scyther --------Stryke
Eevee ----------Eon
Dratini ---------Dragoon
Dragonair ------Dragyn

I think I'm going to give these beta names to my Pokemon.

--------------------
magnemite.gif poliwhirl.gif Poliwhirl and Magnemite are claimed by me! poliwhirl.gif magnemite.gif

If you want to have a uber on your team, fine. Use one. Don't let other people stop you from having Pokemon you want on your team unless you tell them to. I don't think there's anything wrong with ubers, so I gladly use my Lugia. If you want to have a uber on your team, don't leave them sitting in a box just because someone said they're wrong. Take them out and stick em' in your team, dangit!!

And remember kids, frogs are evil! They are. Have you ever looked at their eyes? PURE EVIL.

Click the eggs/Pokemon, I will ALWAYS return the favors. awesome.gif But if you're only going to only click one, click the Poliwhirl.
+Quote Post

Blax8192
post Mar 15 2008, 05:36 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

Active Squad

I just now noticed this, but I am shocked and horrified that they never thought to use Wvern for Dragonite

--------------------
=mine
(\_/)
\(n.n)/
(")_(")
+Quote Post

Seadragon
post Mar 15 2008, 08:45 PM
Post #15

Splash
Group Icon

Member No.: 926

Active Squad

Wyvern is a European legend. Nintendo is Japanese. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
magnemite.gif poliwhirl.gif Poliwhirl and Magnemite are claimed by me! poliwhirl.gif magnemite.gif

If you want to have a uber on your team, fine. Use one. Don't let other people stop you from having Pokemon you want on your team unless you tell them to. I don't think there's anything wrong with ubers, so I gladly use my Lugia. If you want to have a uber on your team, don't leave them sitting in a box just because someone said they're wrong. Take them out and stick em' in your team, dangit!!

And remember kids, frogs are evil! They are. Have you ever looked at their eyes? PURE EVIL.

Click the eggs/Pokemon, I will ALWAYS return the favors. awesome.gif But if you're only going to only click one, click the Poliwhirl.
+Quote Post

suzyk
post Mar 15 2008, 08:46 PM
Post #16

Group Icon

Shameless Man Whores

QUOTE(Seadragon @ Mar 15 2008, 09:45 PM) *
Wyvern is a European legend. Nintendo is Japanese. rolleyes.gif

So? This is Nintendo America, they've used a whole range of languages for their names.
+Quote Post

Blax8192
post Mar 16 2008, 06:32 AM
Post #17

Group Icon

Active Squad

yeah, the names were either made up in america, pronunciation translations(like how you pronounce the japanese name), or were slightly based off the normal translation of what the japanese called it, like(for example) japanese name meant fowl, we translate it to duck, or bird or something...

but they have translations for other languages, like in france, bulbasaur=(no joke)bulbizarre

--------------------
=mine
(\_/)
\(n.n)/
(")_(")
+Quote Post

Coolio
post Mar 16 2008, 05:38 PM
Post #18

Charizard will eat you if you come too close...
Group Icon

Member No.: 655

ATM In-Game in HG

XDD Wow....that's just....classic...XDD Dragoon? A three-year old culd coe up with that name! Same with Flamie....x3 The beta names are so adorably phyco and cute! XD *killed*

--------------------
*~*~*~Currently*~*~*
Trying to come back to life on here and GPX+ hnnng

Teh Charizard is mine!
Credits (click to show)
+Quote Post

Blax8192
post Mar 16 2008, 06:38 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

Active Squad

can you imagine how retarded some of the names we have now would sound if we had kept the beta names? they sound retarded now and we've had over ten years to get used to them

--------------------
=mine
(\_/)
\(n.n)/
(")_(")
+Quote Post

SMGT
post Mar 17 2008, 06:59 PM
Post #20

Master of dimensions... Pleaser of crowds... I am...Dimentio!
Group Icon

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1 118

Active Squad

I don't think Kirby's real pleased that Dratini stole his (her?) vehicle thing. Dratini's goin' down >:)

--------------------
~And so I arrive, like a sudden windstorm at a kindergarten picnic!~

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:56 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.