Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Prize Pool, A source of prizes for user-run competitions
Rating 5 V
Cycloneblaze
post Jun 20 2015, 06:21 AM
Post #1

The Blue Comet
Group Icon

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 93 314

snappers

Let me try to keep this short since I do tend to go on a bit. Basically, I was thinking of holding an art contest (more on that somewhere else, later) until I realised that I don't have anything to give out as prizes! And that's a problem with any competition run by users or by groups - they can't really give out any rewards to the winners except custom-made art.
But then I had an idea...

You know Pokémon in the Shelter, right? Many of those are deleted each day, due to overcrowding. Well my idea is this: an Pokémon that would be deleted instead has its stats, rarity, IVs, level, evolution and so on calculated as if it was being entered into a Poké Hunt (and we'll say that Novelties, summonable Legends and non-summonable Legends each occupy a tier higher on the 'rarity' scale). If it would place first, second, or third, it's not deleted and it is instead placed into a 'pool' (get it?) of Pokémon. If it wouldn't place, then it is deleted. (It might be wise to tighten up the criteria, so not too many Pokémon are kept, and the ones that are are even better.)

And why are we doing this? Well, so they can be awarded as prizes, of course!
The way it works is that whoever's organising the contest would enter the link to the contest, and the names of a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winner, into a form on GPX+. This will be a request for prizes. A Moderator will have a look at any pending requests (which I think we have enough mods for, and anyway, there wouldn't be too many of these) to verify that the contest actually happened and isn't some low-effort thing just to get the prizes, and then approve / deny it. Then, if the approve it, a random Pokémon is picked from the pool - 1st place gets a first-rank Pokémon, 2nd gets a rank 2, and 3rd gets an r3. The Pokémon is eggified and dropped into teir party when they next have a chance, along with a fancy banner saying 'You Won!' or something.

Now I know what some of you are thinking - why would I want some random Pokémon from the Shelter as a prize? Well, these are prime Pokémon, you see. They're valuable because they're bound to have high IVs and a good nature, and that'll make them good for battles! Arceus knows we could all do with some more Pokémon for battles wink.gif
I also think it'd be cool to award valuable items like Nuggets, or special Pokéchests with a few rare Trinkets, as extra prizes.

Anyway, what do you think? Would you like to see this? Would it be too much work? Is it dumb? shift.gif
(I also looked at the do-not-suggest list and I don't think this is on it.)

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Doom Hunter
post Jun 21 2015, 03:13 AM
Post #2

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 207 612

Active Squad

The only thing I dislike about the idea is the original premise: ART contests....

I never liked art contests, because, in my opinion, they're totally unfair. Many of us GPX users, myself included, can't art. We just stink at it and have no capabilities in the art department. If there's going to be contests, I feel like they oughta give everyone a chance, you know? But that's not really the point.

The point is, the system itself, in my opinion, is pretty neat. The only issue I see with it is...what happens if/when the POOL gets too full? And what if a contest is won and there are no rank 1 Pokemon available (I don't doubt a lot of those get held on to!)

--------------------
|

He's watching you....so protect the environment!

+Quote Post

Cycloneblaze
post Jun 21 2015, 08:58 AM
Post #3

The Blue Comet
Group Icon

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 93 314

snappers

That's kind of a non-criticism. It can be used for any kind of contest. If you want to set up a group-wide shiny hunt in the Knights, you can use this system for rewards for that too. An art contest is just an example (and something I'd like to do sometime). wink.gif

If the Pool gets too full, the Pokémon with the lowest IVs / rarity / whatever can easily be automatically deleted from it. (My concern isn't preserving Pokémon in the Shelter that would otherwise be deleted.) I don't know about if it gets too empty, but I don't think there would be enough contests (remember, each contest can only reward one Pokémon from each rank as a prize) to exhaust it. Why, a single user dropping all their boxes, or one ban drop, could fill it up enough for a huge amount of contests.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:17 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.