Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Pokemon for Teens, Should they make darker versions, rated E10+ and/or T?
Your Choice
[see the choices]
Should they? [ 132 ]  [74.16%]
Shouldn't they? [ 46 ]  [25.84%]
Total Votes: 178
Guests cannot vote 

Ando Masahashi
post Aug 31 2008, 02:35 PM
Post #41

World's Best Battery Charger
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 62

Smogon NU Team

Screw the anime. The colsole games could be darker. I feel like XD could've been darker.

The handhelds not so much. They're good as is.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Andre Young
post Sep 4 2008, 10:47 PM
Post #42

Formerly Fidel Castro.
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1 850

Active Squad

They should make it M so the pokemon can have SEX

I donno, I think it'd be cool if they made a seperate game that had more violence... you know, the pokemon bleed when scratched and stuff. And like they could have Pokemon Hunters with Ursaring skin rugs, and stantler head trophies....

Hey that'd be pretty damn cool.
+Quote Post

Tiamat
post Sep 6 2008, 08:17 PM
Post #43

everything is happening so much
Group Icon

Member No.: 70

Active Squad

Any Pokemon game that goes into the T-rated territory will probably start throwing very Call of Cthulu-ish things into it.

I DON'T WANT TO PLAY A GAME WITH CUTE FUZZY COSMIC HORRORS. crying.gif DARKRAI AND GIRATINA ARE BAD ENOUGH.

Also, Pokemon already have sex. G-rated sex leading to Hot Skitty On Wailord Action.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Master Houndoom
post Sep 8 2008, 11:11 AM
Post #44

Team Rogue: Houndoom
Group Icon

Member No.: 804

Uprising Mod

Is this what you mean? (click to showhide)

This post has been edited by Jaima: Sep 8 2008, 11:12 AM

--------------------
[align=center]Uprising Mod

||
Jaima Kuonji and Meiko Omura||Branwys Muphenz
[spoiler=Jaima's Gym Badges][/spoiler]
PANE

||
Jay Lange||Olivia Prewitt
Uprising

As of January 29, 2010, at approximately 7:50am CST, 2gamers helped me complete my pokedex!

:houndoom: I claim Houndoom! :houndoom: [/align]
+Quote Post

PuhPuhPuhPi
post Sep 15 2008, 03:11 PM
Post #45

Three point one four one five nine two six...
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 388

Pi's Posse

QUOTE(Jaima @ Sep 8 2008, 12:11 PM) *
Is this what you mean? (click to showhide)

Actually, rabid Pokémon would be kinda cool. smile.gif

--------------------
My friend code for Pearl is
1160-9066-4343
My Friend Code for Diamond, my hack version, is 1805 5204 6808

Thanks sushikitty!
CLICK FOR SOMETHING AMAZING... :3
ludicolo.gif lickilicky.gif I claim Ludicolo and Lickilicky, because no one else will protest about either of them. lickilicky.gif ludicolo.gif
GTS+ Chat. Much like drugs, it's really addicting.
Badges

+Quote Post

Gati
post Sep 20 2008, 03:09 AM
Post #46

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 056

Active Squad

Well... it would be "cool" to have pokémon for teens, however, if they make them as stupid and violent as some of you said, the pokémon company would even get sued (by "Americans," you know how they are shift.gif ). But well, the only stuff I can think of pokémon for teens would be Pokémon Special, it would be awesome if they got something better and more violent.

--------------------
[spoiler=GTS+PL Badges][align=center] [/spoiler][/align]
+Quote Post

Kirvee
post Mar 22 2009, 08:26 PM
Post #47

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 4 882

Main Diamond Party

I'd like a slightly more mature game.

Not an "M" kind of mature, but just....something where certain story elements are, ya know, a bit more realistic. I'm not sure how to properly explain it, but the ambitions of certain villains aren't very realistic for a "take over the world" storyline.

I'd like to see a pokemon game with a similar maturity to that of a "Tales of" game. Yes, they're made by two completely different companies, but Nintendo can at least try and make their RPGs to be up to the standards the majority of RPGs out there have.

Also, I'm not overly ashamed of playing it in public, but sometimes I want to punch my peers who dare to snicker at me. They don't know what they're missing, XD.

Also, does anyone remember when Pokemon Stadium came out how some parents were complaining about it encouraging animal abuse? I remember watching that news story and having to reassure my mom that it wasn't like that.

I tell you, any parent who claims the game is bad for their children because of its possibility of animal violence should look at their parenting skills and ask themselves "Hm, have I ever actually told my kid about this and made sure they understood that they're playing a make-believe game and that animals in real life can't do those magical things?".

--------------------
Please click and care for my pets!

My GPX+

Also, I make sprites. Click here for my Sprite Shop.

+Quote Post

Kaname Madoka
post Apr 13 2009, 06:02 PM
Post #48

housewife extraordinaire!
Group Icon

Member No.: 7 542

Team HG

I think a more mature game would be alright, but when I think about it, I really don't want to see a bunch of cute creatures killing each other/being killed by Team Rocket or something.

And yeah, Americans would go ballistic sue-happy because we're stupid like that.
+Quote Post

Tiamat
post Apr 13 2009, 06:43 PM
Post #49

Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(Saya @ Apr 13 2009, 07:02 PM) *
I think a more mature game would be alright, but when I think about it, I really don't want to see a bunch of cute creatures killing each other/being killed by Team Rocket or something.

(emphasis mine)

You never played R/B/G/Y, did you? Cubone and Marowak were murdered by Team Rocket for their skulls--implying extreme violence on Team Rocket's part. I'm surprised the main character wasn't truamatized.

--------------------
+Quote Post

DragonSpear
post Apr 14 2009, 07:40 AM
Post #50

The forums' idiot
Group Icon

Member No.: 11 308

I CLAIM SALAMENCE

Yeah, I think that pokemon should have some sense of maturity and have a level of violence, but not in a gory sort. It also implies very well that pokemon should be for people that are 10 years of age because, correct me if I am wrong, but I do remember that Dawn (in the series) started out as a trainer when she was 10. I mean wouldn't her mother be really mad, like she could be harrassed at any moment.

--------------------
Thank you JelloJolteon, for my avatar
+Quote Post

Jokess
post Apr 14 2009, 11:02 AM
Post #51

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 10 788

Active Squad

I also think a more mature game would be awesome. It'd be pretty cool if there was a post apoclypse setting or if one of the Teams had taken over the world or something. Not sure what you could do for a plot in the game, but it'd still be pretty darn cool.

--------------------
Salsa is the best beverage.
+Quote Post

Evren Vale
post Apr 17 2009, 07:53 PM
Post #52

Insanity has nothing on me.
Group Icon

Member No.: 11 551

Active Squad

This all reminds me of a flash I want to make. "The Real World of Pokemon" You see a innocent Rattata, bouncing around and nibbling at some grass. After a few moments, a flurry of movement occurs, and he's gone. The next seen shows a Pidgey ripping out it's guts.

Now, I don't know if Pokemon could make the transition too terribly well. It would be interesting, but some of the Pokemon would require some work to look a little more real, if that is the intended goal. I enjoy drawing such ideas, and even coming up how they even coexist in the world. There's a reason why no one sees Charizard flying around, or the more dangerous kinds. Their hunted to keep their numbers down because a flock of fire breathing lizards would NOT be a good thing.

--------------------

The Claims of Kael Sabel

All Pokemon Sprites and Background Credit GTS+
Trainer Sprite Credit Myself.
+Quote Post

Tiamat
post Apr 19 2009, 10:50 AM
Post #53

Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(Elysian Sable @ Apr 17 2009, 08:53 PM) *
This all reminds me of a flash I want to make. "The Real World of Pokemon" You see a innocent Rattata, bouncing around and nibbling at some grass. After a few moments, a flurry of movement occurs, and he's gone. The next seen shows a Pidgey ripping out it's guts.

Now, I don't know if Pokemon could make the transition too terribly well. It would be interesting, but some of the Pokemon would require some work to look a little more real, if that is the intended goal. I enjoy drawing such ideas, and even coming up how they even coexist in the world. There's a reason why no one sees Charizard flying around, or the more dangerous kinds. Their hunted to keep their numbers down because a flock of fire breathing lizards would NOT be a good thing.

Pidgey isn't a carnivore, though. The beak's the wrong shape; they have seed-eater beaks. You've have better luck with Spearow or Ekans, maybe even a Meowth. And I only say Spearow because I think they were mentioned as eating Magikarp.

But besides that, everything indicates that in the Pokemon world, people and Pokemon coexist pretty well. And even then, the predator-prey relationships would be different--if mice could electrocute hawks, and people control Pokemon that can crush your skull with a thought, there would be drastically different hunting patterns, and only the craziest would attack people for food.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Loup Garou
post May 12 2009, 11:01 PM
Post #54

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 12 992

My Current Fighters

While a more mature game might be kind of cool, I actually think they already do a good enough job of putting a more mature theme in the manga (i.e. Archie murdered Maxie).

I don't really see what, though, they could do to make the games more mature. You've got breeding, you've got underage gambling, Pokemon grave sites, and in FireRed/LeafGreen a Cubone's mother was actually killed by Team Rocket. If you want, you could even go as far as comparing Rare Candies to drugs, but that's kind of borderlining on silly and really just more for the laughs.

They've already put so much into these games, it's not exactly surprising that the characters have such a simplistic dialogue.

The anime, though. . . yeah, the anime leaves a lot to be desired, namely this season.
First season was the best.

--------------------

Help us out?

I'd be happy to return the favor. heybaby.gif

Claims include-
Rattata
Shiny Rattata
rattata.gif

Quiz Results (click to show)
+Quote Post

aiadonyx
post May 12 2009, 11:14 PM
Post #55

Super Nerd
Group Icon

Member No.: 8 333

A nice set indeed

I would love to see more grown up pokemon shows and games. Speaking as one of the adults from the original target group, we all felt pretty abandoned when pokemon didn't decide to grow up with us and the younger kids who we thought were lame started picking it up. shakefist.gif

Really though, I would love to see some more grown-up pokemon stuff.
QUOTE(Fallen Archangel @ Jul 20 2008, 07:26 PM) *
What we need is the old Team Rocket. They freaking killed stuff.

Also this. Mostly because I miss James. blargagh.gif

James says I'm right and he should be around a lot more.

This post has been edited by laskuraska: May 12 2009, 11:28 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Matdredalia
post May 13 2009, 01:53 AM
Post #56

Pokemon Breeder Extraordinaire
Group Icon

Member No.: 10 195

My Favorites

First of all, I have to say I don't feel ashamed at all that I play Pokemon, and I'm pretty sure I'm a fair bit older than most of the folks posting in this thread -- I'll be 22 in Sept. Also, my fiance' will be 32 in Sept as well. My little brother who is 14 also plays.

The thing is, who gives a rats butt what anyone thinks of you for liking Pokemon?

And why make it more dark and violent? One of the cool things about Pokemon, in my opinion, is the naivety of the world. The innocence really adds something to it.

and to be honest, I'm a softy and I hate the idea of my Pokemon actually dying.

I guess it *could* be cool, and I can see it being a pretty neat idea. But then again, I'd like to see a Pokemon MMO, and I think that would be teen orientated, too.

I'm sort of on both sides of the argument, but irregardless, I don't think anyone should be ashamed for liking what they like. All of my friends and family know I play Pokemon and am seriously addicted to it, and most of them think it's cute and quirky.

Heck, I play World of WarCraft a lot, too, and my entire guild used to give me crap when we'd run instances and stuff and be like "Now, Ittsy, put down Pikachu and come be a good little tank..."

I dunno, I just don't think you guys should be embarassed. Just because something you like is popular with the younger crowd doesn't mean it's bad. It just means that we loved Pokemon when we were young, and it has staying power.
+Quote Post

Icarus
post May 14 2009, 09:45 PM
Post #57

Gastly Goddess
Group Icon

Member No.: 18 419

The Gastly Gang

I voted no. Pokemon is violent enough (it's basically virtual dogfighting, for goodness sakes), and there are at least half a dozen mentions of the deaths of both humans and Pokemon in the games and the show.

I don't even understand the logic that making it all GRIMDARK would somehow make it more suitable for an adult to play. Is it just for the bragging right of "derp derp my games got BLOOD AND GORE," or what...?

I don't know. I play quite a lot of violent, M-rated and T-rated games (No More Heroes, the Metal Gear Solid series, Bully, etc) along with a slew of casual, kid-friendly games because I enjoy them. Shouldn't it be more about how much you enjoy a game than how much adult content it has?

--------------------

Clicks for click-backs.
No click-backs for one-clickers.
Yes, I feed the correct berries.

My DragonCave Scroll
+Quote Post

Chrona
post May 15 2009, 08:59 AM
Post #58

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 7 052

Active Squad

Reading through this topic, I've only seen the manga mentioned like once or twice, but not elaborated on. Kinda makes me sad, the manga is *exactly* what the topic is talking about

Spoiler (click to showhide)

Moments like those are definitely violent, so if you want violence in pokemon read the manga :p

--------------------

<-- Click here to join TPPA, an online Pokemon RPG =D
+Quote Post

thebomb99
post May 15 2009, 02:17 PM
Post #59

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 22 061

Active Squad

NO, pokemon has always been for Everyone for a reason. It keeps fans and keeps bringing new ones in. The closest you will get in the pokemon colossium for Gamecube.

--------------------
+Quote Post

ShrapnelStars
post May 15 2009, 02:43 PM
Post #60

Well, I wish I'd wished you well
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 4 143

Let Us In

Lol @ Stantler trophies and Ursaring skin rugs. (I am aware of how old the post was.)

I think that the hand-held games are heading in that direction, anyway. I thought that Cyrus getting snatched up and the Lake Spirits being strapped to those machines was pretty hardcore given Pokemon's hand-held storyline history. I mean, R/B/Y mentioned that the Marowak was killed, but you never saw it happen. Now, you are actually getting to see things happen in the games.

Also, if you read the Canalave Library books, they speak of a man killing innocent Pokemon and how people actually eat Magikarp. That's far more realistic/mature than the past.

As far as violence is concerned, the Dark types should be more serious and violent. Their type implies that they are that way, so they should at least look like it. A teen version would be pretty cool, if it employed such things.

I think that it could end up being a bit more teen-ish also because the original fanbase has matured. I don't see too many younger children playing pokemon anymore. They're falling for the knock-off shows. At least, that's what I'm seeing in my area.

Hey, you never know. Maybe Gen. V will step a bit further in the mature/dark direction with the style of pokemon for that region.

TL;DR - Yes, as a separate sale. It'll bring in more people to add to the fanbase. The lighter storylines can and must still be sold to make more money, though.

This post has been edited by Blak99Psy: May 15 2009, 02:44 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:57 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.