Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
12 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Homework ? Useful Or Useless
Dochavoc
post Jan 11 2011, 05:40 PM
Post #181

Cookies are your friend. Your delicious friend. NO DON'T EA
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 106 899

Pokemon Online Team

Well, in my opinion, I really think that homework is mostly useless. We just spent 6-8 hours at school, now we have to do MORE things for something that we'll just review tomorrow, give it a grade, and then cast it aside and have nothing to do with it ever again?

Let me explain.

In my school system, we had no homework until second grade. In 2nd grade, you got one sheet of homework every Thursday. You were to complete + return that sheet by the next Thursday, and then you never really saw it again. It didn't go in your folder or anything, it just got graded and returned at the next conference/end of quarter. Which really doesn't make sense, now does it?

Then, in 4th grade, the "standard" homework ways were established. We all know how that goes. Anyway, it was pretty much complete-return-get back-repeat. Tedious.

The way I see it, homework is really just studying, which we can very well do at school, instead of wasting our good time at home on it. I really don't see the point.

Keep in mind this is coming from a guy with an IQ of 143.

--------------------
ლ(゚д゚ლ)
Omg Formspring
NOTE: On hiatus from everything-except laptew, of course. cat.gif
BRONY PRIIIIDE
SEIZURE TIME (click to show)

I feel free...

I am a... (click to show)

Groups Of Awesomeness (click to show)

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

ReinisC
post Jan 15 2011, 03:05 PM
Post #182

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 86 492

Active Squad

Well homework is esential, because it tests you, but there, you can use all kids of help, and find your weak spots at a certain subject...

Or get yourself into a lot of trouble with your parents who block off your internet, computer, etc... because you didnt do it and your teacher put grades on it...

--------------------
- My party, Clicks accepted!
+Quote Post

Wingcap
post Apr 27 2011, 05:37 PM
Post #183

The Champion of Sinnoh~
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 95 714

My Favourites~

Study? Yes. You'll need that to help you remember things and revise what you learned.
Homework? No. While the idea is the same, growing up doing menial tasks to remember things will just end up having you dislike the work, so you will get it out of the way A.S.A.P. and learn little or nothing.

Problem is, people are lazy, and must be given homework to make sure they actually did something, as you can't check for study. Not saying everyone is lazy, but from my experience, most people in my school told simply to revise something, nothing written, with no test looming wouldn't do it.
Just my 2 pokédollars.

This post has been edited by Wingcap: Apr 27 2011, 05:38 PM

--------------------

[Me][My Bro]
(click to show)

Nintendo 3DS FC: 3024-6524-0103|NNID: Wingcap|Steam: Wingcapx

pretty much everything credit Cycloneblaze, except the egg
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Apr 28 2011, 01:19 AM
Post #184

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

i have to say, if it weren't for homework in college, i'd have no will to study and i'd be bombing all my exams

--------------------
+Quote Post

nitrodog96
post Oct 12 2011, 05:24 PM
Post #185

bewm
Group Icon

From: In a burning ring of fire, channeling the power of the flames.
Member No.: 61 870

Platinum Team

I only get a little homework, and it's easy to do. But still, it's useless.

--------------------
I used to be Cyogre, ILoveTaillowHesCute, TaillowIsCuteAndCool, Tart Spop, Tartius Spopius, Tartii, King of the Eevees and MasteroftheFlames. If you know me under any of those names, yeah, that's me.

In-Game Teams (click to show)

Hoping to get Social Networking! I'd really appreciate an add.

Arcanine! (click to show)

Miscellaneous (click to show)

Credits (click to show)

+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Oct 13 2011, 12:36 PM
Post #186

Group Icon

Active Squad

I can tell you now that grade school is force fed education, and homework is almost always necessary to be able to do well in college and even some High School AP classes because there's too much material to teach in one class period. I got an A on all my first exams because while I didn't do much studying at all, I went all out on the homework and frankly that taught me far better than any lecture or anything could have. This is sophomore year where stuff matters more simply because it's a difficulty spike.

I'm not saying get used to doing homework now, but don't just shrug it off especially when you don't understand something.

--------------------
+Quote Post

BarkingChaos
post Oct 13 2011, 01:47 PM
Post #187

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 112 100

Sandshrew Army

I'm in college, and the classes I actually have homework in I am doing great, but the classes where our homework is "just study," I'm doing miserably in.

The fact is homework keeps the information fresh. You are actively using it and applying the information. Without homework, information just kinda stagnates and rots away.

Elaborative rehearsal, people srsfacts.gif
+Quote Post

Natasha Romanoff
post Oct 13 2011, 03:02 PM
Post #188

I only act like I know everything.
Group Icon

Member No.: 38 923

Antimatter

From my experience, homework sometimes is tedious; however, it always helps me get a better grade in the classes that assign them, partially because I don't have to spend so much time studying (since, at least for me, the homework I get each day is kind of like a mini-study session). My homework kind of becomes my review notes for the semester exam (because, being a dumbass and always taking 18 or 19 credits each semester, I rarely have time for real, isolated studying), so even though I hate it at the moment, in the future I'm always thankful that I had it, since it practically serves as a study guide for all my classes xD.

I definitely think that, once you go into college/grad school, homework becomes much more important not in terms of your grades, but in terms of how much material you gain from the class/lecture. I'm learning two new languages (Hebrew and Levant Arabic) simultaneously this year, and if the professors had not assigned any workbook or worksheet pages to do, I would totally be lost. The fact that both professors actually grade the homework based on grammar and other things makes me learn the language the "correct" way, i.e. not B.S. it through and embarrass myself when I actually have to speak the language to a native speaker...

On the classes that don't assign homework or barely assign it at all, I usually never end up truly understanding the material. All I have are my notes and sometimes I won't even understand the concepts that I wrote down shakefist.gif.

Tl;dr: As a college student, I'm definitely pro-homework :P

This post has been edited by Machae: Oct 13 2011, 03:03 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reyo
post Oct 14 2011, 03:47 PM
Post #189

I'm in space...space...spacespace
Group Icon

Member No.: 30 281

space team

My beef with homework used to be that I was a lazy High School student and just wanted to go outside and play with my what-friends or stay inside and play with my video games. Junior year I switched over to a dual credit college immersion charter school, and holy sweet Jesus! The first history class I took at that school was one of those "The final grade is based on 3 tests..." classes with NO homework, NO classwork, and NO extra credit. You fail your first exam, which I nearly did, you are BONED. So yeah...kiddies...enjoy your homework now while you can. If you're lucky you won't get too many classes that are test specific grades, but if you do you'll learn to appreciate homework for both a study aid AND a grade cushion.

--------------------
space...spacespace...wanna go to space...I'm in space...are we in space...I wanna into space, are you space? Uh oh, space police, stay cool. Space..space..space space..ba ba, ba, ba, bababa, ba, ba space. Dad, are you space? Yes, now we can be a family again. Space space...need...space...need a rocket...wanna buy a rocket? It's for space...need one...buy one from space store...space store...space...space...space supplies...space ship...space rocket...rocket..space...soup...space soup...from space cafe...space waiter there's a space fly in my space soup...spacespace....must...

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-
+Quote Post

BluePower
post Oct 30 2011, 01:28 PM
Post #190

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 145 826

Emerald Team <3

homework is useful to an extent. it helps you get practice, so you know how to do the stuff, but when you get too much, it just gets repetetive and stupid. but thats my opinion

--------------------

click dem please happy.gif
add on palpad for daily clicks.

+Quote Post

PawsrentOrigin
post Nov 2 2011, 09:35 PM
Post #191

Seasons Greetings!
Group Icon

Member No.: 126 421

Active Squad

I hate homework. It's bad enough that I have to do stuff that won't affect my life at all. They say we're learning geometry so we can function in the real world, but why would the average person need it? In fact, almost everything I have to do is stupid. I have a freaking IQ of over 140, and I already know this stuff. Besides, I'm going to be vet. I once actually asked a teacher why we had to learn this, and he couldn't think of a good answer. He said, and I quote...

"Um... Because knowledge is power."

I should just be able to get on with my life and go to college.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reyo
post Nov 3 2011, 04:01 AM
Post #192

Group Icon

space team

QUOTE(PawsrentOrigin @ Nov 2 2011, 09:35 PM) *
I hate homework. It's bad enough that I have to do stuff that won't affect my life at all. They say we're learning geometry so we can function in the real world, but why would the average person need it? In fact, almost everything I have to do is stupid. I have a freaking IQ of over 140, and I already know this stuff. Besides, I'm going to be vet. I once actually asked a teacher why we had to learn this, and he couldn't think of a good answer. He said, and I quote...

That's because high school is nothing more than glorified babysitting. However, there have been scary amounts of information passing on and leaking over. Usually, it's nothing major, like some of what I learned in medic school leaking over in biology, Calculus leaking over into Physics (whoda thunk it, right?), and Biology leaking over into Psychology. There have also been instances where the professors have brought shit up from years ago, which really blew my mind. Point is, yeah high school is basically "that thing you have to do because 13 year olds aren't yet old enough for living on their own" but once you get to college...it's not hard (I'll use this to take note of you saying "I have an IQ of 140", and suppress the urge to doubt that like I do everyone who says they have superhuman intelligence on the internet long enough to take it into account.) but it connects all of the little pieces that make it up different compared to high school.

Like right now, I'm having to deal with two organizations who absolutely think they are god's gift to existence, and thus, deserve precedence over ALL trying to fight for the same niche in my life. To bore you the details, I'm starten to lean more towards the military, and telling the fancy smart student club to sit on a misc. phallic object.

Where was I? Right...hate homework now, but when you do reach the magical wonderland that is "college", you're going to run into situations where it's going to save your life. EXAMPLE: History teacher who likes to base the ENTIRE grade on 2 tests...and there's a mutual dislike between you and History. That is just an example, you may be awesome at history, but nobody's that amazing at every little subject.

This post has been edited by Reyo: Nov 3 2011, 04:02 AM

--------------------
space...spacespace...wanna go to space...I'm in space...are we in space...I wanna into space, are you space? Uh oh, space police, stay cool. Space..space..space space..ba ba, ba, ba, bababa, ba, ba space. Dad, are you space? Yes, now we can be a family again. Space space...need...space...need a rocket...wanna buy a rocket? It's for space...need one...buy one from space store...space store...space...space...space supplies...space ship...space rocket...rocket..space...soup...space soup...from space cafe...space waiter there's a space fly in my space soup...spacespace....must...

+Quote Post

Ritsukah
post Nov 3 2011, 06:47 AM
Post #193

Every Sinner Has A Future, Every Saint Has A Past
Group Icon

Member No.: 126 813

My Beloved

To start off, I never do homework, barely ever. >_> *Awaits all the death glares of ultra evilness* ... sad.gif

Well, I can't really say I never do homework, it just depends what the actual h/w is really, and if I'm in the mood to attempt it in some given way.

Hm but I agree slightly - half the 'crap' the teachers give us to work on at home is either not even on the tests/exams/assignments we'll be given or is mostly irrelevant to our current lives in time, or future life ahead... :S If that makes sense? xD

Anyways, I do currently have an art assignment I'm working on at home (painting on canvas). I personally take a liking to art as a subject, and am willing to tackle any problems/homework it offers me. :P <3

--------------------

Yes, I play Spore. I'm an art appreciator, and a very friendly person. So feel free to add me, ask any questions or comment(s). Thank you! wink.gif

ஜ۩۞۩ஜ Zirah the Virizion ஜ۩۞۩ஜ

Soubi, Sakura, Sadao & Seshiru are my lovelies. They couldn't help noticing you noticing them noticing you...smugnod.gif
+Quote Post

Lugia182
post Nov 8 2011, 03:36 PM
Post #194

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 127 341

Favourites

Useful, absolutely. I only came to appreciate that when I furthered my education - I wasn't able to learn the material we were given purely from lecture time, so the homework there was very useful. And I guess that's what it's there for in school. That and to teach you to do things for yourself, research things yourself, complete tasks you are given blah blah blah... all pretty useful life skills if y'ask me.
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Nov 10 2011, 07:43 PM
Post #195

Group Icon

Active Squad

Calculus leaking over into Physics (whoda thunk it, right?)
Leaking over? Calculus was created because of Physics, it can't exactly leak over if it's the entire reason it exists.

QUOTE(PawsrentOrigin @ Nov 2 2011, 09:35 PM) *

You'll still take a bunch of stupid classes you'll hate in college, so why bother complaining about it in high school? The purpose of high school is a well-rounded education because frankly not everyone has their goals set in mind like you do.

Did I mention that IQ is an extremely futile attempt to measure one's intelligence? It has no bearing on how good you will be on your homework, and frankly yes he is correct in that blanket statement (albeit not in the way he intended); it is power because it gives you the power to understand why you are doing what you are doing. It also gives you something to lean back on if your vet goals don't work out, because I know people who have gone into college with a (perceived) passion for one thing and they do something totally different because they lost that passion.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Ryuko
post Nov 11 2011, 01:58 AM
Post #196

Scarlet
Group Icon

Member No.: 83 356

Heaven's Wheel

I agree homework is essential, but I honestly can't be fucked doing it. But what really pisses me off, is those people who don't do shit at school, or any homework. Yet they can turn up to any sort of test and pass with good marks.
Stupid boyfriend. He's one of those people.

--------------------

"Violence, Lust and Betrayal"
And so is the Golden City blackened with each step you take in my Hall. Marvel at perfection, for it is fleeting.
You have brought Sin to Heaven and doom upon all the world.
-Threnodies 8:13

signature image too large; removed

~ Raven
+Quote Post

Digidude
post Nov 11 2011, 06:26 AM
Post #197

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 74 984

Favourites

QUOTE(BarkAtTheMoon @ Oct 14 2011, 04:47 AM) *
The fact is homework keeps the information fresh. You are actively using it and applying the information. Without homework, information just kinda stagnates and rots away.

Exactly what i was going to say homework is a definitely necessary.

--------------------
Click my signature and please click my Pokemon.
+Quote Post

IndigoRain
post Nov 16 2011, 01:28 AM
Post #198

meh.
Group Icon

Member No.: 117 844

Ultima

I think some people (even the teachers) are forgetting what homework is actually for.
It's review. That you do at home. To make sure kids remember the material.
That's freaking it.
Somehow, it's turned into some huge burden that all kids hate and despise.
I'm not blaming it all on the students. Teachers are also forgetting that homework isn't just tons of stuff for you to do just because you're entering high school or something, and high school is supposed to be stressful. It's honestly just extra practice so you can do better on the tests and actually learn something new. I used to have a teacher that gave us heaps of homework just because we were "becoming of age". The homework was pointless, and I honestly thought that the teacher was only assigning it to be more teacher-like.

--------------------

my party. needs clicks!

vdex! you know you wanna look >:D

-Friendship is like peeing in your pants. Everybody can see it, but only you can feel the warm feeling that it brings happy.gif
-friends are like bras. They support you, make you look great, and are close you your heart <3
-I didn't lose my mind...it's at home sitting right next to my common sense.

R etards
A ttempting
P oetry

-Multi-tasking=screwing several things up at once.
-Come to the dark side. We have cookies >:)
-Knock hard. Life is deaf.

10 Ways to annoy people in an elevator:
1) Announce in a demonic voice: “I must find a more suitable host body.”
2) Ask, “did you hear that cable snapping sound?”
3) Drop a pen and wait until someone reaches to help pick it up, then scream, “That’s mine!”
4) Hold the elevator door open and say you’re waiting for your friend. After a while, let the doors close and say, “Hi John, how’s your day been?”
5) Hum the theme to Jeopardy.
6) Leave a box in a corner, and when someone gets on, ask if they hear something ticking.
7) Make explosion noises when anyone presses a button.
8) Say, while holding a paper with OUT OF ORDER written on it, “I wonder why this was glued on the door when I came in.”
9) Scribble furiously on a notepad while looking at each passenger. When they try to look, hide the pad.
10) When there’s only one other person on the elevator, tap them on the shoulder and pretend it wasn’t you.
+Quote Post

Reyo
post Nov 16 2011, 01:45 AM
Post #199

Group Icon

space team

QUOTE(Mercenary Raven @ Nov 10 2011, 08:43 PM) *
Calculus leaking over into Physics (whoda thunk it, right?)
Leaking over? Calculus was created because of Physics, it can't exactly leak over if it's the entire reason it exists.

Hence me saying "whoda thunk it" with a sarcastic undertone?

QUOTE(Grey Warden @ Nov 11 2011, 02:58 AM) *
I agree homework is essential, but I honestly can't be fucked doing it. But what really pisses me off, is those people who don't do shit at school, or any homework. Yet they can turn up to any sort of test and pass with good marks.
Stupid boyfriend. He's one of those people.

I'm one of those people, and it comes more from learning style than anything. I learn from participating with the subject. If there's homework that's assigned and due, that participation comes from the homework. If there isn't, I'm going to participate more with the lectures. With that said, I do have a weakness though in tests that focus heavily on the reading material. I'm going through a psych class that's like that now, but I'm doing just fine despite the first 2 weeks because I get the participation from reading the chapters before the exams. Most I'll do at school is take notes, or do homework for other classes.

Question though, exactly how much work constitutes "not doing shit" because I understand that taking notes and homework in class might not constitute as "not doing shit". How much shit we talken about that's not getting doing?

This post has been edited by Reyo: Nov 16 2011, 01:50 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

megaarrow25
post Nov 23 2011, 12:52 AM
Post #200

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 56 000

My Favorites

Personally i don't mind it and it gives me a chance to stretch my brain

--------------------
Me Umbreon, Tyranitar, Meganium, Houndoom, Blastoise, and I will rule the pokemon world.

what pokemon I am (click to show)
My team (click to show)

Blaze's PokePet

Moonlight the level 43 Umbreon!

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:34 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.