Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Card Overuse, Tired of seeing Uxie?
RocketGruntAdam
post Feb 19 2010, 11:50 AM
Post #1

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 39 612

The Avengers

Ever get tired of every opponent at your playing venue having Uxie, Claydol, Rare Candy, or any of those other oh-so-neccessary "staple cards" in their decks?
I'm interested in hearing if I'm the only one who experiences such annoying player tendencies.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Dar Ksereth
post Feb 20 2010, 03:39 PM
Post #2

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 3 614

My favorite party

QUOTE(RocketGruntAdam @ Feb 19 2010, 11:50 AM) *
Ever get tired of every opponent at your playing venue having Uxie, Claydol, Rare Candy, or any of those other oh-so-neccessary "staple cards" in their decks?
I'm interested in hearing if I'm the only one who experiences such annoying player tendencies.

let's see, getting a full hand, taking damage, then dissappearing, or refreshing your hand every turn, or searching for 2 energies/pokemon, they are called staples for a reason, because no matter when they come, they ALWAYS help, also, hitting over 90 first turn thx to rare candy is hax.

--------------------
The One and Only

Viral

you are compelled to poke them.
+Quote Post

Zero Gravity
post Feb 21 2010, 11:13 AM
Post #3

Chosen one of Lightning
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 85 007

Thunder Team

I built decks for tournaments, and only for tournaments, sadly it involved cards like claydol, and uxie. I've been out of the game since "Platinum: Rising Rivals" so I'm unsure of what exactly still stands as staple cards or not.

But outside of tournaments I have fun decks, or cheap decks.
Such as my Pokemon SP Deck, and Regigigas Deck which played with cards like Lunatone and Solrock (the version that draws cards).
I'm actually very good at building cheap decks that can compete with tournament decks and have a possibility of winning.
One of my fun decks won me 2nd place at a Cities

--------------------

[color="#FFFF00"][/color]
+Quote Post

Dar Ksereth
post Feb 21 2010, 07:10 PM
Post #4

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 3 614

My favorite party

QUOTE(Zero Gravity @ Feb 21 2010, 11:13 AM) *
I built decks for tournaments, and only for tournaments, sadly it involved cards like claydol, and uxie. I've been out of the game since "Platinum: Rising Rivals" so I'm unsure of what exactly still stands as staple cards or not.

But outside of tournaments I have fun decks, or cheap decks.
Such as my Pokemon SP Deck, and Regigigas Deck which played with cards like Lunatone and Solrock (the version that draws cards).
I'm actually very good at building cheap decks that can compete with tournament decks and have a possibility of winning.
One of my fun decks won me 2nd place at a Cities

i do this, shamefully there are no tourneys where i live, but yes, if you want to play competitively, those cards are really needed.

right now my deck works around discarding the opponent's hand to prevent him from attacking xD

--------------------
The One and Only

Viral

you are compelled to poke them.
+Quote Post

H1Z1
post Mar 9 2010, 02:47 PM
Post #5

Zombie Bacon
Group Icon

Member No.: 58 479

1997 Team

Yeah another staple I come up against and have debated on doing is the Ampharos Prime Electivire Lv X thing where for every energy you put onto your poke, you take 10 dmg per amph prime and 20 dmg for the elect lv x IF it's the active pokemon.

Another thing that's becoming common is the HGSS Pichu Jumpluff combo (though It's easily beatable)

--------------------

Looking for the Cupido Clefable
Be sure to message me if you have one to trade.

+Quote Post

Synchronise
post Mar 10 2010, 10:47 AM
Post #6

[PAPER INTENSIFIES]
Group Icon

Member No.: 76 425

Fithos Team Delta

Such is the world that there are cards that are almost universally helpful. Personally I could imagine running my decks without these staple cards, and...well, seeing as how it's been a very long while since I actually built decks for tournament purposes, I cannot wield these decks that run Claydol, Uxie, Azelf, etc etc. I can make them, and they do exactly what they're supposed to do, but...

Maybe I'm a slow player. Yeah, that's it. I value a long, drawn-out battle, and so a super-fast deck is boring and just not fun.

Eventually the cards will be cycled out though thanks to the new sets, but...will these cards be replaced? Maybe. If the makers realize that matching all of these deadly cards together leads to this, maybe they'll be less inclined to remake them as new cards.

Besides, if they can draw a tourney out an extra day or so, they could squeeze more money out of the people staying in hotels to watch or play the games. ;)

--------------------
+Quote Post

H1Z1
post Mar 10 2010, 11:31 AM
Post #7

Zombie Bacon
Group Icon

Member No.: 58 479

1997 Team

Hence why when I go to nationals regardless of how I do at states (States is 2 hours away, probably less, and Nationals is 5 hours away) Unless one of us won a budget to get a hotel with from States, We'll be sleeping in the car. XD

Yeah it's like I don't want to run those cards since they're ridiculously common, but I'm slowly via Deck Review working them all into it. As of Just Now I am deciding to plop an Azelf I think it was into my deck for the Prize card switch ability.

This is what it looks like though before the Azelf:

2x Jumpluff HGSS
2x Skiploom HGSS
2x Hoppip HGSS
2x Ho-oh Top HGSS
2x Ho-oh Bottom HGSS
2x Sunkern HGSS
1x Sunflora HGSS
2x Shaymin (Land) Platinum Base
1x Shaymin Lv X (sky) Platinum Base
1x Shaymin Lv X (Land) Platinum Base
2x Electivire FB Platinum Supreme Victors
1x Electivire FB Lv X Platinum Supreme Victors
1x Baltoy Platinum Supreme Vicotors
1x Claydol DP Great Encounters
2x Bebe's Reasearch Platinum Rising Rivals
2x Prof Oak's New Theory HGSS
3x Rare Candy DP: Great Encounters
2x Expert Belt Platinum Arceus
1x Palmer's Contribution Platinum Supreme Victors
2x Level Max Platinum Base
1x Snowpoint Temple DP: Legends Awakened
2x Night Maitenence DP: Secret Wonders
1x Poke'radar DP: Legends Awakened
2x Warp Point DP: Majestic Dawn
3x Super Scoop Up DP: Majestic Dawn
2x Roseanne's Research DP: Secret Wonders
2x Pokemon Collector HGSS
3x DCE HGSS
2x Electric HGSS
8x Grass HGSS

People seem to love the Jumpluff Pichu combo, I've found a way around that, that makes them use what they've got instead of what they want while I can get what I want no problem xD

--------------------

Looking for the Cupido Clefable
Be sure to message me if you have one to trade.

+Quote Post

Mystery Man N
post Apr 22 2010, 02:57 PM
Post #8

Always Bored
Group Icon

Member No.: 91 271

The Team

None of my decks have those cards.

Then again we play unlimited here so they're not as needed as say in a tournament.
I may end up using Rare Candy in a deck for Cities next year if it's still legal.

--------------------
I'm not the very best that ever was.

- -
+Quote Post

Raikou Trainer
post May 5 2010, 07:33 PM
Post #9

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 59 593

Active Squad

Well, Rare Candy was just reprinted in HS: Unleashed, so it will be around for at least two more years. Actually, I don't think there has been a Modified format that hasn't had Rare Candy since 2003.

Based on popular opinion, it looks like Claydol and Uxie will be rotated out in September, so we won't have to keep hearing "Cosmic Power" or "Set Up" almost every game.

One card that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is Luxray GL lv. X. Seems like just about any deck, from SP's to Jumpluff, and even Gyarados runs this bad boy. Garchomp C lv. X comes in at a close second, followed by Crobat G.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:45 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.