Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Names You're Surprised Were Allowed/Not Allowed
Mars Adept Enten
post Nov 1 2013, 12:20 PM
Post #21

Certified Psychotic Isaac Fangirl and Legendary Dogs Enthusiast
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 18 522

GS Crew

Well, it's not a code name for a drug so much as a euphemism for committing suicide. As in the phrase 'drinking the Koolaid', a reference to the Jonestown suicides. So maybe since it hits the points of (1) seemingly endorsing/glorifying suicide and (2) religion, maybe GF figured it's better to be safe than sorry and disallowed that as a nickname, even if the OT didn't intend for it to be taken that way.

EDIT: And I'm also incredulous as to how Mr. Fister got allowed as it sounds like a rather deviant sexual act.

This post has been edited by Mars Adept Enten: Nov 1 2013, 12:22 PM

--------------------
I'm also known as Queen_Lugia on SPPf, and Queen-Articuno on dA, as well as a former aspiring trinketer on GPX+, a proud TheRunawayGuys fangirl, a proud participant of Extra Life, and proud supporter of TwitchPlaysPokemon.

I claimed Isaac from Golden Sun. Hands off mah bishie! tongue.gif And Capt. Linebeck, too!

Follow Isaac-kun to get to my party. I appreciate and try to return clickbacks! happy.gif

Thanks, xJesstheMess!

My shop! I appreciate requests! cat.gif

Entei stuff! (click to show)

Other stuff... (click to show)

Credit to: (click to show)
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Zombie Zekrom
post Nov 2 2013, 12:44 AM
Post #22

Got brains? σɰσ
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 136 881

Randoms <3

I'm a little surprised that now Spike isn't allowed; Spyke, on the other hand, works perfectly. o_o The term "spiking drinks" comes to mind which probably explains it, but seriously GF? *facepalm*

@Koolaid discussion: *adds two cents* I'm thinking either it was the suicides as MAE mentioned and/or the fact that it has 'laid' in it, as in sexual references. Who knows these days. -_-2.gif

--------------------

Various Things (click to show)
+Quote Post

ShrapnelStars
post Nov 2 2013, 06:52 AM
Post #23

Well, I wish I'd wished you well
Group Icon

Member No.: 4 143

Let Us In

That, and Spike contains the term "Spik" (sp?), which is a derogatory term for a Hispanic person.

Before I settled defiantly on Mr. Fister, Satan was allowed, so if they're censoring religious terms, that extremely obvious one made it through.

It's so weird. I was thinking the massacre might have set it off after I tried naming him, and then maybe it though it was a reference to AIDS (also banned). "laid" didn't even cross my mind until you brought it up. All this came from me trying to innocently name my bird after the drink his coloration made me think of, but when I actually tried to be offensive, it worked.

There was an AR code last gen to disable the censor. Hopefully it makes a comeback this gen, for the sake of all the regular names that are getting tied up in this. I still think nicknames should be wiped upon trading or something. Gyarrr.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Mars Adept Enten
post Nov 2 2013, 07:13 PM
Post #24

Group Icon

GS Crew

That is kind of backwards: actually trying to use offensive names gets Crap Past the Radar, but innocent names that just happen to have text strings that correspond to dirty/sexual/religious/other offensive references du jour can't. facepalm.gif Get your act together, GF.

I just caught a chatot.gif and tried to name it Perapera, which is Japanese onomatopoeia for fluency or for "blah, blah, blah" but I couldn't, presumably because of the rape text string. I had to shorten it to just Pera to get it past. unsure.gif

--------------------
I'm also known as Queen_Lugia on SPPf, and Queen-Articuno on dA, as well as a former aspiring trinketer on GPX+, a proud TheRunawayGuys fangirl, a proud participant of Extra Life, and proud supporter of TwitchPlaysPokemon.

I claimed Isaac from Golden Sun. Hands off mah bishie! tongue.gif And Capt. Linebeck, too!

Follow Isaac-kun to get to my party. I appreciate and try to return clickbacks! happy.gif

Thanks, xJesstheMess!

+Quote Post

SlaughterMelon
post Nov 2 2013, 08:15 PM
Post #25

Hater of Longitude
Group Icon

Member No.: 98 420

My Slices.

I wanted my quote to be something related to SkydoesMinecraft, so i tried So Boodiful... That wasn't allowed idk why but GF is really going overboard with this. Just like how Nintendo just shut down the Spotpass feature for Swapnote.

--------------------

won by me in the unearthly trials. also won by me in the unearthly trials.

Thx to Emmathetiger for the awesome Trainer sprite of Spectra!
Sprites (click to show)

+Quote Post

Zombie Zekrom
post Nov 3 2013, 12:31 AM
Post #26

Got brains? σɰσ
Group Icon

Member No.: 136 881

Randoms <3

Just figured out today that Penelope is also disallowed. *more facepalms* Like GF's all "zomgz kids don't run off with your significant others to elope because of someone/something named Penelope!" facepalm.gif Good grief, way to slightly ruin the name of one of my favorite Criminal Minds characters, GF!

--------------------

Various Things (click to show)
+Quote Post

Beausy
post Nov 7 2013, 01:48 PM
Post #27

Sphealin' With It
Group Icon

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 112 412

Squad Goals

i have a gloom called meth and a scatterbug called cum bug 0.o

--------------------
+Quote Post

Mars Adept Enten
post Nov 7 2013, 07:24 PM
Post #28

Group Icon

GS Crew

O_O How the Gehennom did those get past the censors?

Last night, I was hatching some unevolved Pokémon eggs that I bred, and was shocked to see that 'Lolicon' did not get censored. I also was surprised that a trademarked name (Coca-Cola, if you're curious) was allowed, considering the Koolaid example Secondhand posted earlier. Also, another one that mystifies me is Viregina, mostly because of the last four letters being reminiscent of a censor-dodging attempt with the name of a female reproductive organ.

--------------------

Thanks, xJesstheMess!

+Quote Post

Carefactorzero
post Nov 9 2013, 02:14 AM
Post #29

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 19 837

Active Squad

Gee, GameFreak... ONE particular oversight of yours is going to have DISASTROUS consequences on the many innocent, young minds who have had your game images implanted into their minds over the course of a whopping 5 Generations, now gone onto 6. You forgot to censor the word 'BALL' - which, according to the Gen 5 censors list, is read as 'TESTICLE'! Now, because of you, kids are shouting, 'OW, I GOT ELECTROCUTED BY A TESTICLE WHILE LOOKING FOR ITEMS IN THE KANTO POWER PLANT! Oh wait, it's a Voltorb, which my POKéDEX says is the TESTICLE Pokémon!" In the next Generation, they wouldn't want to touch a PALKIA hiding among VOLTORB in the power plant. It might EXPLODE!

+Quote Post

Naixatloz
post Nov 10 2013, 05:34 PM
Post #30

A-set, you bet!
Group Icon

Member No.: 56 857

Can someone please explain to me why "Cocona" isn't allowed? I just want to name all my Scatterbugs after Ar tonelico characters... :c

--------------------

+Quote Post

Darkrow
post Nov 10 2013, 05:38 PM
Post #31

Some frickin' video game nerd.
Group Icon

Member No.: 16 016

Unbreakable Team

QUOTE(Moonblast @ Nov 10 2013, 05:34 PM) *
Can someone please explain to me why "Cocona" isn't allowed? I just want to name all my Scatterbugs after Ar tonelico characters... :c

I'm guessing they censored 'con', which is a French word for idiot? It's a pretty harmless word, though, so it may be something else.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Naixatloz
post Nov 10 2013, 06:18 PM
Post #32

A-set, you bet!
Group Icon

Member No.: 56 857

Turns out you're right, it is the string "con" that got censored.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Ford Prefect
post Nov 11 2013, 12:18 PM
Post #33

Windows Apologist
Group Icon

Member No.: 97 629

Active Squad

I tried to name a haunter 2SPOOPY and a klefki Boobookeys but they both weren't allowed. I guess it was because of poop or poopy in the first one and boob in the other. I tried censor dodging the klefki by using 0s but it still didn't work so I was forced to name it something else.

That's sad though. I'm one of those people who like to give pokes ridiculous names before wonder trading them xD
(I know, I'm sorry :P)

--------------------
+Quote Post

Shashy
post Nov 12 2013, 07:58 PM
Post #34

The Goofball
Group Icon

Member No.: 164 517

Gliscor Gang

Sorry double post.

This post has been edited by Doge: Nov 12 2013, 08:09 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Shashy
post Nov 12 2013, 08:08 PM
Post #35

The Goofball
Group Icon

Member No.: 164 517

Gliscor Gang

QUOTE(Secondhand Stardust @ Oct 31 2013, 01:07 PM) *
Koolaid was banned.
Mr. Fister, however, was allowed.
My Talonflame will resume life as Mr. Fister, which, as we all know, is eons less offensive than "Killer Tree" or "Koolaid".
ಠ_ಠ
GF can go so to hell.

I tested this on my Yveltal and it let it pass

Edit: I tried Dead girl on my phantump and it let that pass.

This post has been edited by Doge: Nov 14 2013, 09:55 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Nyasupa
post Nov 28 2013, 04:54 AM
Post #36

0576 4790 0226
Group Icon

Member No.: 70 314

gay

If you want to know why Spike was disallowed, you'll have to look to the dutch language.

How did Lolicon go through, but not Cocona?
+Quote Post

SlaughterMelon
post Nov 28 2013, 06:59 AM
Post #37

Hater of Longitude
Group Icon

Member No.: 98 420

My Slices.

IDK about any of this but the JWittz wasn't allowed to name his Stunfisk "Turd". *SlaughterMelon used Head Smash* Wow GameFreak, why that word huh?

EDIT: I just caught an Audino, so I tried to nickname it "Oh hell no", somehow that got past the censor xD. Silly GF, they censor BooBooKeys but not Oh Hell no xD

EDIT EDIT: Forgot to say but one of my 3DS friends has a Metang named ASss Wipe.

This post has been edited by SlaughterMelon: Nov 28 2013, 03:36 PM

--------------------

won by me in the unearthly trials. also won by me in the unearthly trials.

Thx to Emmathetiger for the awesome Trainer sprite of Spectra!
Sprites (click to show)

+Quote Post

Iwamoto Yuri
post Nov 28 2013, 04:07 PM
Post #38

It's all wibbly wobbly.
Group Icon

Member No.: 89 298

?!

QUOTE(Whimsicott @ Nov 28 2013, 10:54 AM) *
If you want to know why Spike was disallowed, you'll have to look to the dutch language.

As a Dutch person I'll have to say that spike has no vulgar or ridiculous meanings in the language, mostly having the meanings it has in the English language. If something is wrong with flower parts though, that could be a reason for sensoring it, but I think that would be stupid...

Speaking about Dutch words. Akako got censored, which is probably cause it contains the Dutch word kak, which means shit. So much international stuff, but still rather stupid...

--------------------
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff.

There's no point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.
+Quote Post

Nyasupa
post Nov 29 2013, 04:12 PM
Post #39

0576 4790 0226
Group Icon

Member No.: 70 314

gay

What I had heard was that "Pik" refers to a male member.
+Quote Post

Iwamoto Yuri
post Nov 29 2013, 04:22 PM
Post #40

It's all wibbly wobbly.
Group Icon

Member No.: 89 298

?!

QUOTE(Whimsicott @ Nov 29 2013, 10:12 PM) *
What I had heard was that "Pik" refers to a male member.

O_O I think you mean penis.
I never thought of that... XD
It's not the only meaning, it can also refer to hating someone: De pik op iemand hebben. I think they had the body part in mind though.
Heh... the more one knows... I'll never look at Pokemon the same dry.gif

--------------------
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff.

There's no point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:24 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.