Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
The future of GPX
Zerxer
post Mar 11 2015, 11:23 PM
Post #1

Zerkadelic
Group Icon

Group: Root Administrators
Member No.: 2

My Favorites

As you're all aware from the update post yesterday, Wymsy has decided to step down, and we all wish her the best.

She's not only been here for all 6 years of GPXPlus, but also all 8 years of this GTSPlus community. She was the third person to register on this forum, because she was here from the beginning, helping to lay the initial groundwork and then sculpt it over the years. She's done so much such as moderating the forum, creating artwork and sprites, building out the ideas for new features, managing those features like explorations and trinkets, and managing the other staff. That list doesn't even begin to give you a sense of how many hours she's poured into the site, especially during the last year or two when Jeff and I have been on hiatus. She may have been the only non-developer admin, but she was the only one that truly acted like a site and community admin.

It's a deep loss for the staff and the community, but it's a decision that I completely understand and respect. The site has had a good run, and took up a large part of our lives from late teenage years to young adult. It's not something we planned on running forever, and we always knew there would be a time when we'd all have to say our goodbyes. While Jeff and I never officially left, it's pretty clear we checked out long ago. A lot of other staff members have lowered their activity level to the bare minimum as well. Like anything in life, your interest level fades as your responsibility elsewhere rises. I know a lot of you don't want to hear that; it's always sad when your favorite band, TV show cast, or website staff team decides to disband.

As you can all imagine, there has been a lot of discussion in the back-end about how we're going to move forward. In fact, there's a rumor circulating right now about staff insider information confirming that the site will be shut down within the week. I'm here to quell those rumors... sort of.

First off, I will completely admit that we have discussed shutting the site down. There are a number of reasons for this: Jeff and I haven't had the time or motivation to update the site with new features the way all websites should endlessly grow, Wymsy leaving, activity dropping a lot over the last year, and because of that last point, funds drying up which we need so we can keep paying for our expensive dedicated server. Of course, the reason our server is so pricey is because we needed it to be a powerhouse back when the site was extremely active. I'm not asking any of you to rush in and start donating either, please don't read that this way.

Now that I've gotten that part out of the way... there's still a part of me that doesn't want to see the site close down. This site means so much to so many people. A lot of you have spent the last 6 years here, even without being staff. You've all made online friends, and sometimes more than that. I know I've made lifelong friends here, ones that I've met multiple times in person and still talk to daily. Even Jen, my girlfriend of almost 5 years, is someone I came to know thanks to this website. Last night I thought for sure this was the end -- we had made up our minds -- but then I stared at the Main/Party page of the site, refreshing with my spacebar, and thinking how terrible it would be if no one got to experience this anymore. It started to feel like losing a family member, and became all too real to me.

The option to shut the site down is still a possibility... but if we go that route, we will warn you all at least a month in advance so that you can do whatever you need to do before losing access. However, my goal is to keep the site going. My plan for the future is to move the website to a cheaper server, or cloud-based solution, which is why I'm not asking for a donation drive. We're okay right now, in fact the server's next three months of life are already paid for. Another step is to restructure the staff so that anyone who's inactive is removed and anyone who still really cares is kept around and possibly promoted. While Jeff and I still won't be around much at all to implement new features, I would make sure one or two people are put in charge, in almost the same role Wymsy had, so that the site can continue to have some new content. That content would likely include Trinkets, Explorations, and new Pokémon. There may even be more events going forward. I'm sure the SWSH is still something that would happen, as well as all of the other automatic events.

The site will, in essence, live on frozen in time, for all of you to continue to enjoy.

Who knows what the future will hold beyond this scope?

Edit: Please note that this post isn't asking for people to volunteer to help out. A large part of the problem is that handling contests and implementing new features is all code-based, and we would not be comfortable at all giving anyone access to that outside of myself and Jeff.

We've already got plans for how we're going to proceed with moderators and other staff. If we decide we need to bring more talent on board, that's something we'll handle when we get there. Thank you for your concern and the offers, though!

--------------------
Want a rotating avatar like mine? Check out my website: randimg!
Thanks to all of the people in this thread and this thread for the various avatars!

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Darth Krytie
post Mar 11 2015, 11:25 PM
Post #2

This one does not have time for your solid waste excretions.
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 22 312

Team Awesomecakes

Thanks for taking the time to write such a thoughtful, informative post. As you know, I support you no matter what.

--------------------

Please use the Help Page and appropriate Help Forum instead of PMing me. Only PM if it's something you need me or an Admin for specifically.
+Quote Post

Jen
post Mar 11 2015, 11:26 PM
Post #3

Pidgey Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 64 269

PIDGEY LOVE

Thanks for keeping the site open. Even if it is "frozen in time" that's alright. The openness and honesty is very much appreciated! <3

--------------------

+Quote Post

persiwong
post Mar 11 2015, 11:29 PM
Post #4

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 157 612

My Dream Team

Same. I'm still quite active, but I don't know about the rest of the site...although it does seem like it has wound down quite a bit. Do you think you'll keep the site on for at least the duration of the year?

Also, I'm completely willing and able to do basic-ish sprite work. I'm a little rusty, but then again I'm a (very) busy art student...I can find the time to do it.

Message me maybe?

--------------------

Hi! I'm Poptart Cat, aka seaia13.

I'm an art student. I like cats, cheese, books, knives, fire, and tape, but not all at the same time! I also really like Nyan Cat, as you can see by my avatar.

Perpetually confused? That's me!

Thanks to Cheila on deviantArt for posting the lick icon and unknowingly letting me use it! If this violates anything, let me know.

+Quote Post

Aragarthiel
post Mar 11 2015, 11:30 PM
Post #5

GPX's resident Arcanine fan
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 97 889

My Favehs

Thanks for such a heartfelt post. happy.gif

I'd like to ask though, why not ask for site volunteers for some things? I'm sure there are plenty of us who would be willing and able to moderate forums or judge contests in their spare time. In fact, I'm sure there are more than a few here who have a LOT of spare time.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Doom Hunter
post Mar 11 2015, 11:30 PM
Post #6

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Member No.: 207 612

Active Squad

This is something I am glad to hear. With Wymsy gone, I was worried for the future of a site I love and honestly would be so lost without. I'm glad to hear that we'll still have this amazing site for at least some time to come. I'm also sure I speak for many of the GPX community when I say....we don't want it to go. We love GPX, Zerx, BB, and everyone who has made this happen over the years. I'm glad we can try to keep moving forward as we go.

Thanks for telling us Zerx, I'm hopeful GPX can stay onboard for good time to come. happy.gif

--------------------
|

He's watching you....so protect the environment!

+Quote Post

Makeltos
post Mar 11 2015, 11:33 PM
Post #7

Dire wolf
Group Icon

Member No.: 222 377

Active Squad

First of all, thank you for the honesty in your words, it's really appreciated.

I know nothing lasts forever, especially when real life and other stuff gets in the way. I hope for a lengthy future for this site (why not?).

Keep the good work, and thank you for everything.

--------------------
Proud member of the

+Quote Post

The Majestic Mr ...
post Mar 11 2015, 11:34 PM
Post #8

The Green Thunder, Kell of L's, Keeper of Stars
Group Icon

Member No.: 212 177

Exuberant

Frozen is better than nonexistent. I was considering asking what would happen to GPX now that Wymsy's left on her announcement, but I figured there would be something like this in the near future. If the site were to go down, I think I'd be immensely upset. Ever since I found this site, I've been on it, coming up with goals for myself and enjoying posting on the forums. Anyway, as I like to say...
The future is ours to decide.

--------------------

Light is a spectrum. Why limit yourself to a single hue?

Nintendo 3DS FC: 1950-9577-7656
Switch FC: Mr. L: 5429-0347-5697

PM me if you want to add me. happy.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. L banner made by Luigi Mario
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I'M REALLY FEELING IT!
+Quote Post

persiwong
post Mar 11 2015, 11:34 PM
Post #9

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

My Dream Team

QUOTE(Aragarthiel @ Mar 11 2015, 08:30 PM) *
Thanks for such a heartfelt post. happy.gif

I'd like to ask though, why not ask for site volunteers for some things? I'm sure there are plenty of us who would be willing and able to moderate forums or judge contests in their spare time. In fact, I'm sure there are more than a few here who have a LOT of spare time.

I totally meant to say that. Oops. (Now I realize: I sound like I'm advertising myself. Which I am, but not so bluntly...)

--------------------

I'm an art student. I like cats, cheese, books, knives, fire, and tape, but not all at the same time! I also really like Nyan Cat, as you can see by my avatar.

Thanks to Cheila on deviantArt for posting the lick icon and unknowingly letting me use it! If this violates anything, let me know.

+Quote Post

Zerxer
post Mar 11 2015, 11:36 PM
Post #10

Zerkadelic
Group Icon

Group: Root Administrators
Member No.: 2

My Favorites

Please note that this post isn't asking for people to volunteer to help out. A large part of the problem is that handling contests and implementing new features is all code-based, and we would not be comfortable at all giving anyone access to that outside of myself and Jeff.

We've already got plans for how we're going to proceed with moderators and other staff. If we decide we need to bring more talent on board, that's something we'll handle when we get there. Thank you for your concern and the offers, though!

--------------------
Want a rotating avatar like mine? Check out my website: randimg!
Thanks to all of the people in this thread and this thread for the various avatars!

+Quote Post

My Way
post Mar 11 2015, 11:37 PM
Post #11

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 97 301

Active Squad

:$

Really I read this and can't decide on what to think. It's expected and makes sense but at the same time damn.

This post has been edited by Plantronic: Mar 11 2015, 11:39 PM

--------------------

2DS FC: 3840-7678-9350
+Quote Post

Aragarthiel
post Mar 11 2015, 11:39 PM
Post #12

GPX's resident Arcanine fan
Group Icon

Member No.: 97 889

My Favehs

We're here if you need us!

--------------------
+Quote Post

persiwong
post Mar 11 2015, 11:45 PM
Post #13

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

My Dream Team

QUOTE(Zerxer @ Mar 11 2015, 08:36 PM) *
Please note that this post isn't asking for people to volunteer to help out. A large part of the problem is that handling contests and implementing new features is all code-based, and we would not be comfortable at all giving anyone access to that outside of myself and Jeff.

I see. Well, I certainly can't handle code, although I'm sure there are many, many users who can...and yes, I wouldn't be comfortable with letting others potentially manhandle my website either. I'd love to be part of the 'other staff,' though. Can't hurt to have more spriters, right?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Natasha Romanoff
post Mar 11 2015, 11:46 PM
Post #14

I only act like I know everything.
Group Icon

Member No.: 38 923

Antimatter

To repeat what others have already said, thank you for taking the time to write such an eloquent post and inform us all about the many possibilities of GPX's future. It is good to know that the site won't disappear overnight due to the lack of funds or other unforeseen circumstances.

Like Doom Hunter has said, we all love GPX, and we don't want it to go away anytime soon. I may not have been as active as others on the site are, but I came back to GPX after a few years for a reason -- because I missed this site, and most of all I missed the community. I have enjoyed being able to log in everyday and hatch eggs, read posts on the forums, etc. -- no matter how hectic or weird or uncertain my own personal life got, I always found myself coming back to this site because it was like a little sanctuary to me. A place where we can all be our dorky selves and share in each other's joy and support one another in their hardships.

So, thank you all -- admins, mods, contributers, and fellow members -- for making this site the great little gem it has been. Even though we know it won't last forever, I think we can all agree that it has been a great run, bumps and all.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Gryphaena
post Mar 11 2015, 11:48 PM
Post #15

She Who Can Be Voracious
Group Icon

Member No.: 79 103

My Purple Ones

Well, I'm glad there's something like this from the rest of the staff so we know how the future will be.

--------------------
Avatar by Cycloneblaze at Cycloneshop II

GPX+GPX+

Poliwager Poliwager
+Quote Post

PawsrentOrigin
post Mar 11 2015, 11:50 PM
Post #16

Seasons Greetings!
Group Icon

Member No.: 126 421

Active Squad

It makes me glad that the site is going to continue. As soon as I saw the title, I just knew the post would be about site closure. I'm just glad it's not going to end soon.

And frozen will always be better than the site being gone forever.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Jade
post Mar 11 2015, 11:52 PM
Post #17

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 58 868

My Favorites

Honestly after 5 and a half years on this site myself, I can understand the feeling of coming to a possible decision of shutting down the site - as hard as it is.

Gosh though, I still remember my early days here - back when the site was hell to click on - when firefox and opera were my best friends before the berry feeder was created. When I bought a new computer simply because it had a faster processing speed so that I click faster on this site. When I got SO excited when I snagged my first dropped legendary egg (a Zapdos) from the shelter. The luck of some of my shiny hunts and the pain of others. Explorations read and completed. Achievements won through perseverance and hard work. I've logged so many hours on this site myself, just playing and playing and playing.

But even my activity has died these past few years as I too have grown up and gotten taken away by other responsibilities and passions. After a year and a half hiatus myself I only just came back this last Christmas and started playing again, rekindling my love for this game but no where near the hardcore activity I used to have when I first began here.

Whatever decision you come to, I want you to know: Thank you, all of you, for creating it and helping to build this site to be what it is today. It's been a great experience.

--------------------
Follow Shay-Shay's flight and he will bring you to a place where eggs and Pokemon need much love.
Shaymin cares, do you?

+Quote Post

FusionWarrior
post Mar 11 2015, 11:54 PM
Post #18

Liked Drapion more... Raikou is fine too.
Group Icon

Member No.: 35 735

Faves

I know you explicitly said you aren't looking for volunteers, but if you need a hand, well, I'm here. I'll just go back to tinkering around in the Super Mario Bros X engine and clicking Pokemons. You've got my yearly 60, at the very least.

--------------------

One of my oldest internet friends:
Scroll to see mah shinies!

+Quote Post

Unnoticeable Koh...
post Mar 11 2015, 11:54 PM
Post #19

Still around
Group Icon

Member No.: 54 909

Epics

I wish I was better at coding to apply to step up and all sad.gif

I'd really hate to see this get shut down, and while i infrequently visit the forums, I could do something simple as.. manage the facebook page? But I'm glad we aren't going to shut down cat.gif The site is what greets me every time I open Chrome.

I've gone from being an inactive member who joined because all my friends on Gaia joined to being the only one of the group who actually went somewhere with this account. It's become so ritualistic to click at 9pm PST that if i dont, I get anxious/irritated

--------------------
[align=centerOccasionally pops in to post in various threads, best way to get back to me is via pm[/align]
+Quote Post

Carefactorzero
post Mar 12 2015, 12:02 AM
Post #20

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 19 837

Active Squad

I'm so happy to hear that the site will continue to live on, despite the departure of one of the biggest contributors to the site, and the near-endless features it has. Even after being here for almost 6 years now, I still gain as much happiness and enjoyment as I did on the day I registered. There is always something to strive for here, and the GTS+ community is one of the greatest communities I've ever been a part of. It would break my heart to see the site close down; a lot of us have made many great friends, and many more fond memories, thanks to this site. Some of us have even formed relationships and travelled to other parts of the world thanks to this site. I've experienced many awesome things here, and I hope the site will continue to function for several years to come, so other people can share and experience the same joys I - and many others - have in my time here.

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us an elaborate update on the future of GPX+, Zerxer. As scary as the prospect of losing GPX+ is to many of us, I can't begin to imagine how you must have felt while weighing up your options. I hope your future plans for the site will be successful, and I hope your efforts will reap the rewards you desire.

Echoing the sentiments of many others: frozen in time is definitely a lot better than losing the site. happy.gif
+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:56 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.