Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
10 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2012, Real, or a Hollywood Scam?
Apocalyptic Chic...
post Nov 22 2009, 09:10 AM
Post #1

They found Captain Winky!
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 43 437

Active Squad

Alot of people argue over whats going to happen in 2012. Many people believe its real, since apprently the Mayans predicted Hitler and most of the other World Chaos - and alot more people believe its just some Hollywood Scam to scare us, or it just doesn't exsist.

Now, before you go off about the topic, listen to this;
The Mayans did not predict anything. I personally believe all they did is look at what happened in the past and then added it together for the future. For example - to predict Hitler they must've looked at Dictators before them, calculated the time inbetween each dictator, and just figured it out for the future. Who really knows if this whole; "The world will end in 2012" thing is just a scam or joke?

Feel free to post what you want. I personally believe nothing is going to happen to us on 2012 and its just like that 'Stock Market Crash' thing in the 1980's,(Is that the right time period? I'm not exactly sure.) where everyone was supposed to loose all their money and stuff. But than again, History was never my best subject.

So - what do you think?
2012 - Hollywood Scam, or the Real Deal?

--------------------

Life Goals;
01. World Domination
02. Beat a man to death while wearing a tuxedo
03. Complete the 82-Floor Haunted House in upstate New York, which includes skipping in and having a picnic right in the middle to annoy the crap out of the workers.
.04 Find out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsipop. 863
05. Die on the exact time, day, and second I was born. That way, theres no decimal for my mathmatical age!

---

"Beginnings are usually scary, and Endings are always sad, but its what lies between, that makes it worth living."

"Why... Why do humans always wish for those they cannot have? Why do they look at the sky and wish to fly, even if they don't have wings? Well...we wolves, we use what we have been givin to get what we want. We'll run on our own four paws for as long as it takes, to get where we need to go... to get to Paradise..." - Kiba, Episode 28 of Wolf's Rain.

Name of Series: Naruto [Shippidun/Orginial & Filler]
Your Claim: Kiba Inuzuka (08/07/2009)

~!I'm part of the Novelty Breeders!~

I claim;
Thing #1
Thing #2

My name, Danielle, translated into Japanese is: Denieru (see the pronounciation guide).
Get your own Japanese name translation at Keiichi Anime Forever!

My Personailty Quizzes (click to show)

Other Stuff (click to show)
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Kiseki Lin
post Nov 22 2009, 05:06 PM
Post #2

The Asian Boy Band Fangirl
Group Icon

Member No.: 6 708

Active Squad

For me, I wouldn't call it a scam, but I don't think the world's going to end like they made it in the movies. There's a lot of different speculations on what's going to occur in 2012. I personally believe that something's going to happen, but it's not a something that's going to end the human race. But that's just me. :P
+Quote Post

Rchicken31
post Nov 22 2009, 05:12 PM
Post #3

Therapy free for the past 4 months.
Group Icon

Member No.: 66 225

So what now???

Personally i think the mayans might of just decided they had enough calendars for that year and then the next year they had a war that killed them off. So no i really dont think anything is going to happen

Some people say that 2012 is also the final battle between good and evil so i would want to be part of that final war

--------------------
Thanks to Ginotoki Sakata For this banner!

My party! (click to show)

Angels and Demons (click to show)

Credits! (click to show)
+Quote Post

Optimal Moose
post Nov 22 2009, 06:54 PM
Post #4

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 71 836

Active Squad

I think it's been blown out of proportion by paranoid people and the like. I'm sure most of us are old enough to remember everyone getting worked up about the year 2000. And there's been a lot of end of the world chatter in the decades before that. The thing about 'prophecies' tho is they're usually self-fulfilling. Meaning it's not because it was destined to happen, but because some nutter with the power to make it happen does so due to their belief in the 'prophecy'. Yes, the mayans stopped making their calendars past 2012, but let's pretend here for a minute. I make a paper football to flick at my friend for every day for the next thirty years. Does that mean he's going to die in thirty years? Nuuuu, means I just arbitrarily decided to do enough to last up until that point because I know I can make more when I run out. It's human nature to try and see the big picture or glean some secret bit of wisdom because based on my own experience there is no rhyme or reason to the way things happen, it's mostly just coincidence and most of us can't bear the thought that there is no special plan for us. What I'm saying is, human ego is a funny thing and it makes us believe silly things because most people absolutely have to feel special. However, with all the crappy comic book movies hollywood has lined up for the next few years, I'm kinda hoping the earth does get wiped out so they stop doing churning out terrible movies just to make a buck off fanboys.
+Quote Post

The Darkrai
post Nov 22 2009, 06:56 PM
Post #5

Blaze of Gory
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 2 412

Original Squad

Either way, maybe the calandar makers were all killed or died, and nobody else knew how to continue it. Or maybe they stopped making the calandars when cortez showed up, or something like that.

--------------------

I have no more words.
darkrai.gif

+Quote Post

MoogleSam
post Nov 22 2009, 07:14 PM
Post #6

A Defensive, Protective, Fair, Happy and Playful Lion~
Group Icon

Member No.: 11 034

Roster in Diamond

I doubt anything will happen in 2012. People have said several times in the past, "the world is going to end in such and such year" and then guess what? NOTHING HAPPENED.

Mayans predicting things, okay this was years and years ago, they couldn't possibly know what was going to happen in the future! They were not magical psychic people who could read the future!

People in the past tried to predict the future and they thought robots would take over the world! Did that happen? NO.

People predicted the world ending before, did that happen? NO.

What are the chances of this happening when we as human beings are terrible at predicting the future?

--------------------
If any of my old friends want to contact me, please email me!
+Quote Post

wenganator
post Nov 22 2009, 07:17 PM
Post #7

Mystery Counter is presently at -300,000. Warning: Hacked system
Group Icon

Member No.: 55 203

Dragon Elite

Truly, the Mayans never actually predicted anything in 2012. Their calendar just ends at 2012. Some people think this is a sign that the Mayans believed that the world will end in 2012 (something to do with the cosmos/planets aligning--personally, I don't believe all that crap). Personally, I just think the Mayans had some other reason to stop extending their calendar/rather than THE END OF THE WORLD IS COMING. Or maybe they were just bored. Who knows. Guess we'll find out in '12.

--Oh, and they predicted that Hitler would come? I didnt' know that part...Hmmmm...are you sure?

--------------------

All the banners in this rotating image were made by FiaH GE. Thanks so much!

Click to visit my party!

Pokemon Sprites (click to show)
Please clicky! (eggs and other stuff) (click to show)
Groups~ (click to show)
Other Interesting Stuff (click to show)
+Quote Post

Rchicken31
post Nov 22 2009, 07:31 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

So what now???

Well it's not that hard to predict a evil person (like hitler) i mean they probably just had to predict it in his life span and its not like they didn't predict 1000 other random things

--------------------

Credits! (click to show)
+Quote Post

moon shadows
post Nov 22 2009, 07:35 PM
Post #9

elite four
Group Icon

Member No.: 8 932

the elite

- for Hitler, there is always someone who is going to try to kill someone because they don't like them. I doubt they predicted his name, since there is always someone out there trying to kill someone else. Thats how the world is.

-I doubt the world would end in 2012 though it is fun scaring little kids with it they probably got bored of making there calender then stopped.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Rchicken31
post Nov 22 2009, 07:51 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

So what now???

Ya pretty much theres always a bad guy in the world who is causing a war or is responsible for a devastating event.

--------------------

Credits! (click to show)
+Quote Post

klefki
post Nov 22 2009, 07:56 PM
Post #11

FUN FOR ALL SEASONS AT THE SPORTING GOODS STORE
Group Icon

Member No.: 35 382

his highness

There are/were several end of the world theories for 2009 alone, why should one be given more credibility than another? Honestly, I really don't think all life on Earth(human or not)will ever truly die out until the Sun become a red giant and possibly consumes the Earth or make it too inhospitable for anything to really survive.

This post has been edited by Mr Blue Viperfish: Nov 22 2009, 08:09 PM

--------------------
y'all kids can be edgy as fuck man
+Quote Post

knil1
post Nov 22 2009, 08:03 PM
Post #12

also known as Duzzel. ^_^
Group Icon

Member No.: 3 392

Dream Party

I don't know what to think.

Christians believe that it has to do with antichrist and how God will save however many people or something like that. And I don't believe that the Mayans had any relation with the Christians, so the Christians probably don't have to worry about it.

But then there's Nostradamus or whatever. It's all very confusing.

But my big problem with the Apocolypse and stuff is the most random crap ever.
In Knowing, what's predicted is a bunch of Mechanical mistakes.
I don't get that. Ok, Satan just made the plane crash into the road. WTF?

I think, overall, it's just paranoia and the media.

Btw, read This

--------------------

Uprising (click to show)
+Quote Post

Black Ice
post Nov 22 2009, 09:16 PM
Post #13

A New Era
Group Icon

Member No.: 28

Active Squad

I think this is just 6/06/06 again. Except more than just Christians are going to be humiliated when they go hardcore and gamble all their money away the night before.

People predicted this because the Mayans decided to end their calendar on this day? Well guess what, it's impossible to keep a calendar going on forever without electronics or something. They had to stop somewhere. Using this logic, I think 2012 is just bullshit. Nothing out of the ordinary is going to happen. Except I might get laid or something, I dunno.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Apocalyptic Chic...
post Nov 22 2009, 09:41 PM
Post #14

They found Captain Winky!
Group Icon

Member No.: 43 437

Active Squad

I just heard that they predicted Hitler. They didn't say his name, but apprently they predicted a dictator in the year he took over Germany and began killing the Jews.

My own opioin on this is that its a load of B.S. Sure, maybe something will happen - like a star exploding or some stupid shit - but the world isn't going to end just because a large group of Indians stopped making their calender.

But it is something fun to scare small children with, and make movies out of. yourmove.gif

--------------------

Life Goals;
01. World Domination
02. Beat a man to death while wearing a tuxedo
03. Complete the 82-Floor Haunted House in upstate New York, which includes skipping in and having a picnic right in the middle to annoy the crap out of the workers.
.04 Find out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsipop. 863
05. Die on the exact time, day, and second I was born. That way, theres no decimal for my mathmatical age!

---

"Beginnings are usually scary, and Endings are always sad, but its what lies between, that makes it worth living."

"Why... Why do humans always wish for those they cannot have? Why do they look at the sky and wish to fly, even if they don't have wings? Well...we wolves, we use what we have been givin to get what we want. We'll run on our own four paws for as long as it takes, to get where we need to go... to get to Paradise..." - Kiba, Episode 28 of Wolf's Rain.

Name of Series: Naruto [Shippidun/Orginial & Filler]
Your Claim: Kiba Inuzuka (08/07/2009)

~!I'm part of the Novelty Breeders!~

I claim;
Thing #1
Thing #2

My name, Danielle, translated into Japanese is: Denieru (see the pronounciation guide).
Get your own Japanese name translation at Keiichi Anime Forever!

My Personailty Quizzes (click to show)

Other Stuff (click to show)
+Quote Post

DuskSky
post Nov 22 2009, 10:07 PM
Post #15

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 73 595

Active Squad

I don't think it's a Hollywood scam, but I definatly don't believe it. I mean, there's a good chance they might have found something better to do than make calenders. I mean, it seems like people are predicting the worlds end quite often, and it never seems to happen XD
+Quote Post

Draco324
post Nov 22 2009, 10:41 PM
Post #16

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 73 620

Platinum Team

It's not a Hollywood scam, but I don't believe a bit of it.

I mean, people don't really think outside the box; what if the calendar didn't end because it was the end of the world? Maybe it just ended, because someone in ancient times didn't want to continue it?

Of course, that's just me, so people might as well throw a rock at me or something. Especially since I'm the only person that thinks it just... ended. Not that the Mayans thought it was the end of everything.

--------------------
Click to see my sig. I did this so the pages are smaller. (click to show)
+Quote Post

Captain Zanic
post Nov 23 2009, 12:02 PM
Post #17

The Pumpkin Pirate Prince
Group Icon

Member No.: 71 962

Thy Soulful Crew

The radio used to really annoy me at night with disgusions about 2012, when all I wanted to do was listen to some music. Grr... pirate.gif

A show by Penn & Teller showed how there was no signs or possible predictions of the world ended now or anytime soon. Even asking the mayans these days if they beleived the world was going to end and simply said no. Truth is in my opinion that humans, mayans or not are unable to predict any future happenings, if they do it's down to random odds of luck.

Hollywood is definatly cashing in on the whole thing though, and amplifying peoples worries to widespread. Chaos would seem more human made on 2012, like those idiots of the millenium tried by breaking in stores and such. dry.gif
+Quote Post

AdaWongWasHere
post Nov 23 2009, 12:45 PM
Post #18

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 70 231

Active Squad

I think its a scam

--------------------

Dragins (click to show)

Please Click, ill love you forever! 8D <3
~Ada Wong

+Quote Post

Leon S Kennedy
post Nov 23 2009, 02:30 PM
Post #19

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 71 441

Active Squad

Fake

--------------------

+Quote Post

Pokemon Master S...
post Nov 23 2009, 03:05 PM
Post #20

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 73 592

Active Squad

I think its a scam, Its not supposed to end intill like a million of years or somthing :/
+Quote Post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:53 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.