Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Reply to this topicStart new topic
WikiLeaks
Black Ice
post Aug 17 2010, 09:27 PM
Post #1

A New Era
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 28

Active Squad

So, you might've heard of WikiLeaks. Maybe not. Basically, it's a wiki containing leaked top secret information. This includes that famous video where a helicopter shoots a bunch of innocent Iraqi citizens because they look like terrorists (the gunner mistook a camera for a gun), including what looks to be at least two children and their father.

What's your opinion on this? On one hand, he is exposing the truth behind this war. On the other, he is still making top secret information available to everyone. "Exposing the truth" for everyone to see might not be the greatest idea, especially if some bad guys got ahold of this information.

So yeah, discuss.

--------------------

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Natsume Reiko
post Aug 17 2010, 10:34 PM
Post #2

Smiting Fundamentalists since the 1980's.
Group Icon

Member No.: 43 334

Active Squad

The way I see it the public has the right to know just what the fuck our government is doing in foreign nations because it will in some shape or form now or later WILL affect us. Information gets leaked all the time and it's really just a MATTER of time when that shit is leaked. Terrorists will always get a hold of information no matter what. That's the simple facts of life. What I find disturbing is that the government keeps trying to shut down WikiLeaks that gives us the truth of what the shit goes on behind all the fucking pearly smiles and shit that's plastered on the media. It's one of the reasons why I've stopped looking at the TV for years for news. I get my crap from CommonDreams or other sources because our media just wants to brainwash us into thinking that what Congress + friends says is the truth when it's clearly not the case.

--------------------
~~~~Credit goes to Commander Wymsy.

Important info about myself (click to show)
+Quote Post

proera
post Aug 17 2010, 10:36 PM
Post #3

o_o
Group Icon

Member No.: 3 850

Soul Silver

I think it is a good idea, there are somethings that people should know and have the ability to respond to.

Although, how long it will last is debatable....

--------------------

+Quote Post

Crystal Shards
post Aug 19 2010, 12:46 AM
Post #4

Iced Out
Group Icon

Member No.: 250

Favorites

As long as the information doesn't interfere with military operations (e.g. it doesn't reveal information on future plans of action, who is being interrogated currently, where troops are located, etc. etc.), I don't have a problem with it.

--------------------
Administrator of Mercury Ice Forums

I click full party even after you switch out Pokemon.

DieHard GameFAN
+Quote Post

Kookie Monster
post Aug 19 2010, 06:41 AM
Post #5

Stalking like a Weeping Angel
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 889

COOKIE Team

Admitely some parts of the military's work should not be found out. It has emerged that a lot of civilians have been killed and this has been covered up. However, the release of the amount of civilians that died during the initial invasions of Iraq and Afganistan as well as most recently, is not good for the war effort in both of the places. The US has effectively lost some of the hearts and minds they wanted to get. People now are more likely to rebel against the americans because of the fact they tried to cover it up. This information should not have been leaked. It will only cause more civilians to join the insurgency.

WikiLeaks should be careful about what information it releases. However, I can see the good aspect of it. It really does inform the general public of what is happening in the war zones, especially in other areas of the world. It shows the truth about the US and other countries. Some information I agree needs to be released. Others like the civilian death toll should not have been released. More insurgents usually equal more troops dead. I can see why the US military wanted to keep these deaths secret.

--------------------

IRC NICKS: Fudge, Kookie, Adam West, RedIce

+Quote Post

Yamper
post Aug 19 2010, 07:22 AM
Post #6

Axew and Volcarona enthusiast
Group Icon

Member No.: 61 211

Invisible Kyurem

QUOTE(Crystal Shards @ Aug 19 2010, 06:46 AM) *
As long as the information doesn't interfere with military operations (e.g. it doesn't reveal information on future plans of action, who is being interrogated currently, where troops are located, etc. etc.), I don't have a problem with it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

--------------------

Don't forget to love yourself.
Add me for daily clicks: 873/1000

[align=center]---

Community Thread Shiny List!

---[/align]
[align=right]Breeding Incentives: Mission Cards
[/align]
+Quote Post

Rugal
post Aug 19 2010, 09:25 AM
Post #7

What?
Group Icon

Member No.: 76 953

Active Squad

While I'm all for freedom of information, Wikileaks has a longstanding policy of merely serving as a safehouse for leaked documentation to be used in reporting. Once it's validated, it gets posted regardless of political interest. Besides, the servers Wikileaks uses to host all the documents it stores are in Sweden, so it's not like the CIA or the FBI could do anything even if they wanted to.

--------------------
Metaphysics explained in simple terms (click to show)
Important info about myself (click to show)
Things I may or may not be directly responsible for (click to show)
+Quote Post

John Richard
post May 30 2011, 06:17 AM
Post #8

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 142 086

Active Squad

I agree the arguments of the wikileaks to reveal the top secrets. It will add more values to the human rights to know the issues related to their country and the world as well. I have looked an article from an online source based on the topic for my college graduation purpose and that enabled me the reasons to support them well. Its a chance to explore the real issues without making controversial aspects.

Good one, keep it up... happy.gif
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:04 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.