Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
The Stop Online Piracy Act, What are your views and thoughts on SOPA?
The Void
post Jan 18 2012, 08:51 PM
Post #1

Legendary Pokémon Master
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 150 579

My Legendary Team

QUOTE(SOPA Motto)
"To promote prosperity, creativity, entrepreneurship, and innovation by combating the theft of U.S. property, and for other purposes."

Most of you know this already. It's quite old.
But for those of you who don't know, SOPA (or Stop Online Piracy Act) is a bill introduced last October. Here's some information from Wikipedia:

The bill, if made law, would expand the ability of U.S. law enforcement and copyright holders to fight online trafficking in copyrighted intellectual property and counterfeit goods.

The originally proposed bill would allow the U.S. Department of Justice, as well as copyright holders, to seek court orders against websites accused of enabling or facilitating copyright infringement. Depending on who makes the request, the court order could include barring online advertising networks and payment facilitators, such as PayPal, from doing business with the allegedly infringing website, barring search engines from linking to such sites, and requiring Internet service providers to block access to such sites. The bill would make unauthorized streaming of copyrighted content a crime, with a maximum penalty of five years in prison for ten such infringements within six months. The bill also gives immunity to Internet services that voluntarily take action against websites dedicated to infringement, while making liable for damages any copyright holder who knowingly misrepresents that a website is dedicated to infringement.

I knew of this only recently, when I noticed Wikipedia was shutting itself down to go on strike against SOPA and PIPA, since if this bill were to be passed as a law, then it would seriously damage the free and open Internet, including Wikipedia itself. Other sites such as Tumblr, Mozilla, and Techdirt have taken action against the bill as well.

So I just wanted to know what are everyone's opinions about the bill, if it should be passed or not...

--------------------
No one crosses with...

Epic banner and avatar made by Cycloneblaze...
(his workshop is awesome!)

Usercard (click to show)

Me in the web... (click to show)
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Spokesman
post Jan 19 2012, 03:39 PM
Post #2

I see you fantasy, you wanna make it a reality paved in gold
Group Icon

Member No.: 112 684

Living Things

So SOPA/PIPA is intended to stop copyright infringement from what I understand. That would shut down countless websites, including big ones like YouTube and music streaming sites. That would take away an even bigger number of jobs. But the part I'm pissed about is the fact that I can't listen to music on YouTube or anything because I'd get arrested. I find this bill to be a piece of shit. /2 cents

--------------------
Came back on a whim because I saw something that reminded me of here. If you remember me, hit me up on Discord CHR|Flygon#8505 and if you a real one, tell me where I frequented most on here so we can catch up like the old days.
+Quote Post

Yamper
post Jan 19 2012, 03:42 PM
Post #3

Axew and Volcarona enthusiast
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 61 211

Invisible Kyurem

Bill passes?

Bye bye Internet. It's dumb.

There are other ways to go about piracy acts, however this is going the wrong way about things.

--------------------

Don't forget to love yourself.
Add me for daily clicks: 873/1000

[align=center]---

Community Thread Shiny List!

---[/align]
[align=right]Breeding Incentives: Mission Cards
[/align]
+Quote Post

Stark Coyote
post Jan 19 2012, 04:35 PM
Post #4

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 51 188

Active Squad

MEGAUPLOAD.COM IS DELETED!
The worlds most used site to upload links/pictures/videos/movies/ect. is now shut down.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/01/19/...haring-website/

--------------------

+Quote Post

Temporal Lizardo
post Jan 19 2012, 05:34 PM
Post #5

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 155 617

Meh

There's too many technical issues, and there's bound to be ways around it. If it were to pass I'm sure some Anon would figure a way around it in a week.

--------------------
LET ME SHOW U MAI POKEMONS

You can stop another egg from dying!

I can't just delete my old avatar. So here it is in all its glory:
+Quote Post

Rua
post Jan 19 2012, 05:49 PM
Post #6

No-life shiny collector
Group Icon

Member No.: 9 747

~o-O-o-O-o~

QUOTE(Romeo @ Jan 19 2012, 04:35 PM) *
MEGAUPLOAD.COM IS DELETED!
The worlds most used site to upload links/pictures/videos/movies/ect. is now shut down.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/01/19/...haring-website/

^^

Why we don't need SOPA/PIPA. If they want to shut something down (rightfully or wrongfully) they can already shut it down. This is just catering to the RIAA and other big interest groups.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Wastelander
post Jan 19 2012, 05:51 PM
Post #7

True king
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 552

The Runaways

I was following this on and off over the past months. It's complete and utter communism limiting and totalitarian - the very things, irony would have it, that America has been striving to fight against since way back when.

--------------------

Software engineer by day. Hermit writer by night.
nothing is impossible chasing a super hero on the run
+Quote Post

Lokiva
post Jan 20 2012, 02:06 PM
Post #8

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 128 496

Pwning Masters

It's unconstitutional, it will never get passed because of that. It goes against our 1st amendment rights.

--------------------

95% of teens are obsessed with twilight currently. Put this in your sig if your part of the 5% that think it's a waste of time and completely overrated.

+Quote Post

Dazmi
post Jan 21 2012, 04:19 AM
Post #9

Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 482

Active Squad

When you actually see the arguments the politicians use against piracy, it comes down to some rhetoric about China and THEY TOOK OUR JOBS. I'm being serious, that's more or less what they are saying. They're all old men who don't know how computers or the internet work and they think online piracy is the same thing as stealing from a store. Yes, it's not a good thing, but it's still more nuanced than a direct comparison between the two.

Senator Dodd was on Andrea Mitchell today and he couldn't even get the words to the DMCA correct. He replaced "Digital" with "Domestic", because they're turning this piracy issue into "China is stealing our material, reselling it and costing US jobs" (China has absolutely no regard to copyright whatsoever, fyi) instead of the real core issue and solution of how can people combat piracy by making buying things worth it. It almost feels like we need to keep Senator Grandpa away from the computer because he has no idea what he's doing.

All in all, I think this bill needs to be scrapped (rather than just put on hold) and they need to go back to the drawing boards. Hell, screw piracy, how about using your time doing something constructive? There's a lot to choose from, pick a card.

This post has been edited by Dazmi: Jan 21 2012, 04:46 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Wastelander
post Jan 21 2012, 05:50 AM
Post #10

True king
Group Icon

The Runaways

As far as I can tell, SOPA and even PIPA, too, have been postponed indefinitely after the protests waged this week and Anonymous' subsequent retaliation. But the motivation for such legislations is still there. So, we are by no means, to use the proverbial cliché, 'out of the woods' yet.

On a side note, I agree that places in Asia, and other less developed countries are snatching up IT jobs once abundant in the first world. Sure, it provides much needed jobs, but signs on, the quality of said services/products produced have been severely lacking. So much for saving money...

--------------------

+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Jan 21 2012, 05:56 AM
Post #11

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

My rant on how piracy does nothing but help our economy, adding to the fact that this does not result in a net sales lost. In fact, most people downloading this shit can't otherwise shell out the 30-60 bucks for a video game, couple hundred for a console, and 10 dollars/10 songs for many, many songs. That's not a net loss in the slightest, and if anything it builds up to a net gain.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Wastelander
post Jan 21 2012, 06:57 AM
Post #12

True king
Group Icon

The Runaways

Exactly, and sometimes you can only get certain movies, songs, etc via pirating 'cause you can't find them in shops in your area or else they're too expensive to buy online.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Rua
post Jan 21 2012, 10:51 AM
Post #13

No-life shiny collector
Group Icon

~o-O-o-O-o~

Oh, I do like that 'rant' of yours (I wouldn't call it a rant, I'd call it a well-thought out post on your position :P). On the same topic, what do you guys think about ACTA? Especially considering that a lot of countries (including USA and Canada) have already signed on?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Jan 21 2012, 03:25 PM
Post #14

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

I actually have never heard of ACTA and I can't find a nice layman's terms version of it (like I could with SOPA) so I have no opinion yet.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Yalorda
post Jan 21 2012, 03:30 PM
Post #15

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 41 865

My Team!

I first saw it on GPX PLUS but then all youtube channels followed with uploads about SOPA...

--------------------
+Quote Post

Rua
post Jan 21 2012, 04:08 PM
Post #16

No-life shiny collector
Group Icon

~o-O-o-O-o~

QUOTE(Mercenary Raven @ Jan 21 2012, 03:25 PM) *
I actually have never heard of ACTA and I can't find a nice layman's terms version of it (like I could with SOPA) so I have no opinion yet.

I'd say ACTA is more serious than SOPA. Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=citzRjwk-sQ

It's very similar to ACTA. The biggest difference I can think of is that SOPA is just USA, ACTA is multiple countries INCLUDING the USA.

This post has been edited by Rua: Jan 21 2012, 04:09 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Ryuko
post Jan 22 2012, 02:13 AM
Post #17

Scarlet
Group Icon

Member No.: 83 356

Heaven's Wheel

The 'it's to protect kids from the internet' card. Real smooth.

--------------------

"Violence, Lust and Betrayal"
And so is the Golden City blackened with each step you take in my Hall. Marvel at perfection, for it is fleeting.
You have brought Sin to Heaven and doom upon all the world.
-Threnodies 8:13

signature image too large; removed

~ Raven
+Quote Post

Wastelander
post Jan 22 2012, 06:15 AM
Post #18

True king
Group Icon

The Runaways

ACTA's been described as a trade agreement on the prevention of the distribution of generic drugs and the sowing of certain, patented seeds, but it actually goes waaay beyond that;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8Xg_C2YmG0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=citzRjwk-sQ

--------------------

+Quote Post

Thiinka
post Jan 22 2012, 10:55 PM
Post #19

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: +Contributor
Member No.: 16 742

Soul Silver Team

I wish I was British, and of legal age, to be able to contact the Parliament to not vote yes on ACTA.

That'll be the last straw: people will take to the streets and go to the centers of politics to protest. You can't keep the freedom of the Internet down without serious consequences.
+Quote Post

The Unholy Diver
post Jun 1 2012, 08:17 PM
Post #20

The asteriotypical one
Group Icon

From: The wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell
Member No.: 161 989

Z's Team (so far)

QUOTE(The Void @ Jan 18 2012, 06:51 PM) *
The bill, if made law, would expand the ability of U.S. law enforcement and copyright holders to fight online trafficking in copyrighted intellectual property and counterfeit goods.

The originally proposed bill would allow the U.S. Department of Justice, as well as copyright holders, to seek court orders against websites accused of enabling or facilitating copyright infringement. Depending on who makes the request, the court order could include barring online advertising networks and payment facilitators, such as PayPal, from doing business with the allegedly infringing website, barring search engines from linking to such sites, and requiring Internet service providers to block access to such sites. The bill would make unauthorized streaming of copyrighted content a crime, with a maximum penalty of five years in prison for ten such infringements within six months. The bill also gives immunity to Internet services that voluntarily take action against websites dedicated to infringement, while making liable for damages any copyright holder who knowingly misrepresents that a website is dedicated to infringement.

"Block the entire website???????!!!" unimpressed.gif

wth?
If a website is infringing a copyright, delete the infringed material and move on!!!
Or better yet, make it harder to make illeagal copys of copyright material!!!
I'm not sure i know much about this, but I heard from my geography teacher that it would comepletely end sites like youtube. even material that didn't violate a copyright...
facepalm.gif

either way, I still wish i could vote "no" to this law. They can make a way better approach to this dry.gif

--------------------
Thanks to the mobile site, I'm back on gpx!

I CAN CLICK BACK NOW

credit (click to show)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 05:30 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.