Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Reply to this topicStart new topic
KONY 2012/The Invisible Children, I don't care if this is real or fake, it still brings an issue...
espeon40
post Mar 8 2012, 06:15 PM
Post #1

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 121 688

R.L.Q.E.S.T.

Hey everyone!! So...if you haven't heard about this 'KONY 2012' stuff, then I suggest you watch this vid right here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc Because it will make more sense when you hear what I have to say abouth this issue.

Anyway, hi, espeon40 espeon.gif here and I would like to tell you guys about a video that I saw targeting a man named Joseph Kony.
FOR THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE SEEN THE VIDEO: Isn't he evil?? I mean, I'm a 14-year-old girl and I have a 5-year-old brother who is dear to me, except when he's annoying... pinch.gif Anyway, I definitely wouldn't want a man kidnapping my 5-year-old brother and making him a child soldier...Don't let me tell you what they do with the young girls... crying.gif And they even allow the children to kill their own parents!!! Who does that??? This guy:
Joseph Kony

FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN THE VIDEO OR DON'T KNOW WHO JOSEPH KONY IS: He is an evilllll man who kidnaps children, takes them from their parents, takes away everything they aspired to be, everything they hold dear to them, and makes them child soldiers...crying.gif Andddd he also doesn't have an apparent reason but one for committing these crimes: POWER.

It's just sad how this guy turned these children into his own personal army...These children are the same age as I am, some even younger...And if he isn't stopped, then who knows what will happen???

That's why I need to tell you guys to help with this cause...
Go to: http://kony2012.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/
To help pledge for The Invisible Children & help those in need
And you can even buy a Bracelet for $10 or the Action Kit for $30.

Now is the time to show the WORLD that people, just like you or me can make a difference...So here's what we're going to do:
WE'RE GOING TO MAKE JOSEPH KONY FAMOUS!!! Not in a good way of course...We're gonna show everyone that we care about the children in Africa and that people on the internet or just ordinary people, or even Bronies, can give out justice and help in the arrest of Joseph Kony. So, post KONY 2012 on Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Tumblr, etc. We're gonna show the U.S. Government, who have put US Troops into Africa, that we still care about this cause...and if we can accomplish this, then we can do anything...I really hope that you guys can be inspired like I was...LOL and do something to help this cause...But I have to tell you, it has to be done this year!!! And that's why it's called KONY 2012, bcuz we have to capture Kony this year or else the government might pull back troops...sad.gif
And thanks for reading this & give me a message if you have any more info...So thanks & KONY 2012!!!

This post has been edited by espeon40: Mar 12 2012, 08:52 PM

--------------------
CREDIT~Neggie/NegativeDiamond/AWE-SOM-AY Artist for drawing my Nyan Espeon & to EmmatheTiger for making my Espie PokeMorph Thanks again you guys!!!!! lol.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Black Ice
post Mar 8 2012, 09:08 PM
Post #2

A New Era
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 28

Active Squad

I also want to point out that Invisible Children is a largely profitable organization and will probably not be doing anything beneficial to the situation with their money. And also that he's pretty much moved on from Uganda, and that the filming of that video started in 2003. Meaning this is very old news.

I am not trying to advocate abuse, but things like this have been going on for centuries, and watching a video like this should not turn you into a social activist. It's also largely emotional and sensational propaganda.

Also, if you post in a debate forum, you should probably expect to have a debate. It's not a debate if everyone goes around agreeing with each other.

--------------------

+Quote Post

espeon40
post Mar 8 2012, 10:16 PM
Post #3

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

R.L.Q.E.S.T.

Oh, that's true...DUH!! Thanks!!! happy.gif
walloftext.gif

--------------------
CREDIT~Neggie/NegativeDiamond/AWE-SOM-AY Artist for drawing my Nyan Espeon & to EmmatheTiger for making my Espie PokeMorph Thanks again you guys!!!!! lol.gif
+Quote Post

Dazmi
post Mar 9 2012, 03:35 PM
Post #4

Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 482

Active Squad

It's 30 minutes? Well, good thing it's well made. It has good camera work, it's well paced, good job.

The reason this video was made is because the filmmakers feel that if we get enough attention to Joseph Kony (akin to that of Hitler, etc.), because of that publicity, it might give the respected governments of the world a message. "We citizens want this guy captured, detained, punished, whatever else. We want him out of there, we don't want him harming people." That's the theory, if we can get enough people to find out about Kony, then the government will take notice and they will put more and more emphasis on capturing him. From what I've heard, they have already sent some troops to East Africa to try and fix this situation.

There are a few counterpoints to this, but I can't verify the validity of these because I'm not in Uganda or whatever. I can only go from what I've read from sites that are apparently getting backed up by people who are in the know, so don't necessarily take this as fact.

-

What needs to be done is legitimate action. I'm not saying they aren't doing action. They made this video and got thousands of drones to give support to all of this. Obviously that's action. However, I'm talking about having the government out there and doing something rather than "throwing money at the problem" as they put it.

However, if you look at it from a logical standpoint and remove everything else. If America goes out of its way to help people in a situation like this, brings the big guns and blows them all up, you're telling them that they can rely on this country rather than fixing it themselves. Now, I don't think it's as cut and dry as that. I'm sure the people of Uganda and surrounding areas have obviously tried very hard to flip this guy off. I'm just trying to point out that you can give a man fish, or you can teach him to fish.

I don't know how well I put that, just think about it.

-

Some sources state that Kony isn't killing people by the thousands anymore and that he's on his last legs. If this is the case I'm not saying that he should be off the hook. I'm just saying that it's possible that some of the things in that video were exaggerated and that the threat of finding him may not be as dire as it sounds if this were the case. Not much else to say on that.

-

Apparently they put down $751 000 in computer equipment alone. Can I ask about that? I myself have a very powerful computer and I spent maybe around $2000 on it. It may not be a government computer, but it's still epic for a civilian in my area. I can't even imagine $751 000! Where would that come from? Are you building servers the size of four houses? What are you using that for? If you're building a movement to help people out, you don't need more than 10 or 15 computers. Hell, maybe even just 1.

$177 000 for I think camera equipment? Doesn't good camera equipment cost less than $1000? Am I wrong?

-

Outside of the controversy of whether or not there are peace talks going on, etc. They are still doing something good. They are doing something that is affecting people positively. You can't really complain about that.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Ryuko
post Mar 11 2012, 09:12 PM
Post #5

Scarlet
Group Icon

Member No.: 83 356

Heaven's Wheel

I've said this on so many sites, and I will say it again:

I have been called heartless too many times to count in the past few days when Kony started trending. Wrongly oppressing children is unjust, such evil angers me, but I do not understand purpose. But, I do not appreciate the same fucking posts about 'make Kony famous' flooding every part of the internet, I do not appreciate being told I'm a horrible person because I will not post/share/reblog shit about Kony, and mostly, I do not care about people suddenly becoming an activist. Congratulations! I'm sure posting shit about Kony will help SO much. Do not get me wrong, I do sympathize for those children, and I acknowledge it is to raise awareness and I applaud their efforts. But their message is about awareness, I am aware, it's purpose is now complete.

On a side note, I'd love to see half the fucking population of Kony supporters point to Uganda on a map. Please, Kony activists, tell me how much you've always cared for Ugandan (let alone, African) children before Kony, Hm?

This post has been edited by Marian Hawke: Mar 11 2012, 09:15 PM

--------------------

"Violence, Lust and Betrayal"
And so is the Golden City blackened with each step you take in my Hall. Marvel at perfection, for it is fleeting.
You have brought Sin to Heaven and doom upon all the world.
-Threnodies 8:13

signature image too large; removed

~ Raven
+Quote Post

The Grouch
post Mar 12 2012, 02:44 PM
Post #6

And this is how the world ends.
Group Icon

Member No.: 96 726

but a whimper.

Citizens: STOP KONY

Government: Okay.

Citizens: AMERICA IS GREEDY AND SELFISH AND WANTS WAR

I just want that to be said. Christ have mercy, people are stupid. unimpressed.gif

--------------------
Team (click to show)
+Quote Post

Klowii is Sexy
post Mar 12 2012, 02:45 PM
Post #7

She's sexy and I know it~
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 30 189

Add fifth gen, please

QUOTE(Marian Hawke @ Mar 11 2012, 10:12 PM) *
On a side note, I'd love to see half the fucking population of Kony supporters point to Uganda on a map. Please, Kony activists, tell me how much you've always cared for Ugandan (let alone, African) children before Kony, Hm?
Oh my fucking God. This.

I honestly didn't care about this because I simply didn't know before a couple days ago. No one cared. Literally. I don't see why people are making a big fuss about it right now. It's mob mentality, really quite simple.

--------------------
[align=right]2:31 PM 08/10/07 - 11:19 PM 03/17/2012 remember~[/align]
[align=right]
[/align]
+Quote Post

Cream
post Mar 12 2012, 03:36 PM
Post #8

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 160 577

Active Squad

Making Kony Famous Isn't really stopping him..
I'd doubt the government are going to do anything anyway since it doesn't effect them.
On top of that no one really cared about Kony
When he did it for more that 4 years.
I doubt that anyone would of cared as much as now.
There's alot of child soldiers out there as well.
We can't help every single one of them
Yeah. I get it. He must be caught and stuff.
Twitter and facebook are all over it.
There's no point hovering over and going crazy about it.
Its been happening for a long time
Yet no one really made it into something big at that time.
So Like.
Calm Down.

--------------------
2012 was a little bucket full of cringe
+Quote Post

espeon40
post Mar 12 2012, 08:51 PM
Post #9

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

R.L.Q.E.S.T.

Hey!! What's up? espeon40 espeon.gif here & I am really glad that this post is getting good comments from the above users.Thanks to the above users, besides me for making a contribution for this particular topic...I'm glad to hear all the opinions...this is exactly what I wanted...to be able to hear others' opinions about this topic...so thanks and also, let me put in my updated input:

-Sure, I mean, it's not like we are going to capture Kony by ourselves...bcuz we can't...We're here, and he's there...but the US sent troops there, but if the Government, esp, President Obama/the next Prez thinks that if the people lose interest in Kony, then he will too and pull the troops back home. So, we're just doing our part to help spread the word about Kony...it's kinda like Jehovah Witnesses trying to door-to-door preach the Word of God...that's kinda parallels this, I don't want to offend anyone when I say this, though...

-And another thing, I probably, actually, no I overdid the post that I started in the beginning of the article, probably bcuz of my heightened inspiration for it...LOL but it's still a big issue...there's no way you can't feel for the children forced to do this kind of thing...

So, thanks for reading this updated post and plz pledge on the website: http://www.kony2012.com/

You don't have to support this cause but plz, I would like to hear what you have to say...Your opinion is important, whether it be negative or postive....
And thanks!! happy.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

DaemonicFae
post Mar 13 2012, 05:18 AM
Post #10

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 127 144

Active Squad

It's good to raise awareness as a first step, but everything else about that campaign is iffy at best. Many people actually in Uganda dislike and/or are suspicious of the motives of Invisible Children for a lottttt of reasons.

You should definitely be wary of anyone who tries to use force to bring peace, and that is what they are trying to do. They are funding a corrupt government that is known to commit horrendous crimes similar to what Kony has done, and likely giving Kony what he wanted in the first place. (If he's even still alive.) Many people who do things this horrible want to be infamous, you see.

They are recovering, mostly. This is what they mainly need assistance on. It would be more useful to donate to hospitals or schools or something along that line.

Some better charities:
http://www.africanyouthinitiative.org/about-us/about-ayinet/
http://grassrootsgroup.org/about/history/
http://www.oxfam.org/en/development/uganda
+Quote Post

crickee
post Mar 14 2012, 01:13 PM
Post #11

pls make us an otp
Group Icon

Member No.: 53 934

cuties

i think it's terrible what Joseph Kony does. but, i think it's ridiculous how as soon as this started trending last week, people felt that they were these great social activists all of a sudden because they take statistics and spew them out like they know from first hand experience, send out invites over Facebook to "STOP KONY 2012", posted videos, changed their profile pictures, etc.

it's disgusting how people can turn an actual real world problem into some fad, and take part in it just because it is the hottest trend and will make them look like better people right? 6 months from now, how many of you will be posting Kony videos over Facebook? even now, no one on my news feed is posting about Kony. i didn't take part in any of it because i'd only be lying. :V

--------------------

<3
+Quote Post

Galahawk
post Mar 14 2012, 09:11 PM
Post #12

Legendary Dragon Empress
Group Icon

Member No.: 21 238

Best team ever

Actual Ugandans were offended by this video, I think that's all that needs to be said on the subject of why turning this shit into a fad for the sake of "activism" is just plain wrong.
What I think is more offensive though is that the organization had the nerve to make merchandise. Seriously? I heard a comparison earlier today of that being no better than people making Osama Bin Laden merchandise after 9/11 happened. And really, it's true.

Instead of making someone infamous, how about actually going after them and stopping them. You're not an activist just because you shared some video on the internet. :\

--------------------
[align=center]
- Click Latias for my deviantART | Click Latios for my Tumblr -

[spoiler=Shinies + Fat meeps]
(Shinies are not in chronological order. I stopped caring.)[/spoiler][/align]
+Quote Post

jayrachi
post Mar 15 2012, 06:11 PM
Post #13

Janitor
Group Icon

Member No.: 133 427

wat

Also, as much as I disagree with Kony's cause and actions, I don't feel like America wasting money on moar wars. We should probably work on our own problems first. Probably.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Sharkosaurus
post Mar 18 2012, 09:26 AM
Post #14

Gentleman Bastard
Group Icon

Member No.: 93 071

smogon ban genies pls

Jason Russell (Leader of "Kony 2012" and founder of Invisible children.) was arrested for public masturbation and vandalism. It's probably nothing relevant, I just wanted to let you guys know.
Don't believe me?:
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/jaso...-142970255.html

Oh, and wasn't oil just found in Uganda? And the US is planning to go there to get Kony? Hmm...

This post has been edited by Wings of Sorrow: Mar 18 2012, 10:36 PM

--------------------
ayy
+Quote Post

EspeonSnivyMunna...
post Apr 28 2012, 06:59 PM
Post #15

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 159 440

Active Squad

In my country,everyone is posting "Stop Kony" I agree with them

--------------------

+Quote Post

Kendall Raine
post Apr 30 2012, 10:13 PM
Post #16

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 10 241

Active Squad

What needs to be remembered is, the Ugandan army itself is known to commit rapes and use child soldiers. The issue is far more complicated than the video makes it out to be.

Is Kony evil and dangerous? Yes. Is he the only evil and dangerous man? No.

The LRA isn't even IN Uganda anymore. They left in 2006, in fact. But the video makes it seem like they're still there, it's misleading.

These college hipsters don't seem too concerned about the bill that actually IS in Uganda trying to be passed that would sentence gay people to life imprisonment or death. They don't seem to be too concerned with the Ugandan army raping and using child soldiers, in fact, they SUPPORT the Ugandan army.

The world isn't always "good guys fighting bad guys." Most of the time, it's actually just bad guys fighting other bad guys. I wish more people would realize this.

This post has been edited by Dubbleyew: Apr 30 2012, 10:13 PM

--------------------
Clicku?
+Quote Post

The Unholy Diver
post May 6 2012, 01:28 AM
Post #17

The asteriotypical one
Group Icon

From: The wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell
Member No.: 161 989

Z's Team (so far)

You know, why don't we just stop debating and start funding. Talking only helps until everyone is on your side. we should take action. Not only against kony, but all genocidal people. I hate resorting to violence, but we should teach this [content partially censored] a lesson.

--------------------
Thanks to the mobile site, I'm back on gpx!

I CAN CLICK BACK NOW

credit (click to show)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:41 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.