Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
Help an old newbie, information gathering about the "new" pokémon TCG
Shining Mew
post Jan 19 2011, 12:05 PM
Post #1

only 99 calories per serving
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 7 384

Team of Awesome

I used to play and collect Pokémon cards a tonne back in the 1st Gen days. I have no idea where all my old cards are now, sadly, though I suspect my parents probably threw them away. For some reason, in the past few months, I've been feeling a strong desire to get into pokémon cards again. I have no idea why, perhaps as a desire to return to my youth, or some stupid psychological reason like that.

A week or so ago I gave into my desires and bought some booster packs/decks, but I was rather quickly overwhelmed! There are so many different expansions and things now, I really had no idea where to start, so I ended up with a bit of everything. I wanted to buy at least two decks so my boyfriend and I could play (which was kind of funny because one of the decks was way more overpowered than the other), and then there were all these crazy rules that none of us remembered! Thankfully, the decks had directions, so we were able to figure out most things.

Anyway, instead of satisfying me, buying pokémon cards just kind of whet my appetite. I want to get more cards and build up my own decks again, and maybe even play (though I'm at the age where I might freak people out if I started playing strangers at like conventions and such). But having been out of the loop for so long, there are some things I want to learn before I jump back in again.

So, I'm looking for some advice. There might be better places on the internet to ask for such advice, but I'm already a member here, so it seemed easiest.

Buying Cards

What expansions do you guys like the most? Like the least? Any particular favourites? Which ones have the best artwork? Which are the best for play? Any particular pre-made decks that you're fond of?

It seems the stores around here are mostly selling HGSS and Platinum cards. However, I can also order online. It seems there are a lot of places that sell older expansion boosters/decks for decent prices, I'd just have to pay shipping costs as well.

Playing the Game

First of all... can anyone explain prize cards to me for real? It seemed to be one of the few things the directions just glossed over instead of explaining, and I don't remember those at all from when I used to play about a decade ago. I get that you get a prize card (sometimes 2) when you KO an opponent's pokémon, but... that's about it. Do you pick these cards out yourself or are they chosen randomly or what's the deal?

What other "new" changes have happened? Last time I was active in the pokémon TCG was with the Team Rocket set. I know some of the rules for things like Lvl. X pokémon, Champion/Elite 4 pokémon, and Legends because the rules for those were included in the rules with the premade decks I bought, but there are just SO MANY expansions that I'm not sure what else I'm missing.

Online Resources

What good online resources exist for learning about the pokémon TCG on my own? I know Serebii.net and Bulbapedia both have good resources for looking at individual cards, but unless I really feel like looking at each and every card individually for a particular set to learn about it, it's kind of clunky and hard to navigate. Are there any other good sites out there that any of you know of?

Also, specifically, is there a place where I can easily and quickly figure out which symbols match to what sets? I threw away all the packing of the booster packs I bought and know I don't know which cards are part of what sets.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. cat.gif Feel free to offer up any other information that you feel is interesting or useful, or ask me any questions you'd like. I'm excited to be getting back into this.

--------------------

Interact with my pokémon and eggs and I'll reciprocate in kind
Click on the cute Pokémon trainer couple to access my party page, and please don't steal my artwork <3
I have claimed Shellos! East Sea represent, yo~
Formerly, Terezi Pyrope, Kirie
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Shining Mew
post Jan 21 2011, 05:17 PM
Post #2

only 99 calories per serving
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 7 384

Team of Awesome

That's what my gut said, just thought I ought to clarify. :P

Thanks again for all your help. <3

--------------------

Interact with my pokémon and eggs and I'll reciprocate in kind
Click on the cute Pokémon trainer couple to access my party page, and please don't steal my artwork <3
I have claimed Shellos! East Sea represent, yo~
Formerly, Terezi Pyrope, Kirie
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:27 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.