Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Pronouns, and the display thereof on GPX
Rating 5 V
Cycloneblaze
post Jul 3 2020, 04:08 AM
Post #1

The Blue Comet
Group Icon

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 93 314

snappers

This was inspired by Gryph's passing, but I think many others would use it. On GPX you can set your gender to male or female, or you can hide it. Some people will hide their gender just for privacy, while others will do so because they don't feel they are strictly male or female.

I thought it could be nice if, when hovering on the spear/distaff icon for gender by a user's name, it would show their preferred pronouns. These could be set with a drop-down, or more likely by typing in a text field, on the Settings page next to the gender. You could say that you prefer 'they/them' as pronouns while keeping, or not, a male or female icon. It seems like a more inclusive way to indicate gender. There's already a hover element exactly like this on the affinity icon in the same place, so I think this wouldn't be difficult to implement.

Since I think it would be difficult to have a hover element over no icon, a third icon could be added (a grey circle perhaps) to go with the distaff and spear, representing 'agender'. That way you could set pronouns without having to adhere to the gender binary. You could still hide your gender on the site, and this would hide the pronouns too.

Our community seems to have a high proportion of gender-non-conforming peeps, Gryph having been one of them, so I hope this is something they'd like to use. happy.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:33 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.