Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Strong Low Accuracy Moves or Weaker High Accuray Moves, Which is better?
Flamer
post Nov 4 2008, 12:18 PM
Post #1

Insert whitty phrase here
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 2 757

Faves

Do you think strong low accuracy moves, eg thunder, fire blast, or weaker high accuracy moves, eg flamethrower, surf are better?

Obivously, the high powered moves do more damage, but is it worth the risk of not hitting? Is it better to use a move that almost always hit but won't have as much of an impact? How much do the Pokemon's stats come into play when deciding whether to use high powered low accuracy moves or not? Or do you prefer to play it really safe and use 100% accuracy moves like swift?

Hopefully we'll be able to get a bit of a debate going, so go right ahead and post your views

This post has been edited by Flamer: Nov 4 2008, 12:18 PM

--------------------

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Seah
post Apr 11 2009, 06:43 PM
Post #2

Your average gal
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 7 578

Soulsilver!

QUOTE(Flamer @ Nov 4 2008, 12:18 PM) *
Do you think strong low accuracy moves, eg thunder, fire blast, or weaker high accuracy moves, eg flamethrower, surf are better?

Obivously, the high powered moves do more damage, but is it worth the risk of not hitting? Is it better to use a move that almost always hit but won't have as much of an impact? How much do the Pokemon's stats come into play when deciding whether to use high powered low accuracy moves or not? Or do you prefer to play it really safe and use 100% accuracy moves like swift?

Hopefully we'll be able to get a bit of a debate going, so go right ahead and post your views

I prefer to use the weaker, higher accuracy moves as they have more PP. Even if they are weaker than the other moves, they will last you longer if you have to use that move repeatedly without healing (like in the Elite 4), and will hit much more than the stronger ones.

However, I would use the stronger moves if a weather effect boosts their accuracy, such as Hail makes Blizzard 100% accurate and Rain Dance does the same to Thunder. Then the moves would have high damage and high accuracy, making them deadly.

I'm not sure if the Pokemon's stats are really important when deciding accuracy, unless the Pokemon's accuracy is reduced by Smokescreen or Sand Attack or something. If the Pokemon has high special attack, then use special moves to use that. If the Pokemon has high attack, then use physical moves. The higher the stat, the more damage the move can do.

--------------------

Not much to say... but much to do.

A click a day keeps the doctor away!

+Quote Post

Black Ice
post Apr 11 2009, 07:12 PM
Post #3

A New Era
Group Icon

Member No.: 28

Active Squad

Depends. If the accuracy is high enough, like 85 (Fire Blast), then I'll take the stronger one. It won't really miss that often (about 1 in 5), and when it does hit, it hits hard.

Any lower than 80 though, I won't take the chances.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Tsum
post Apr 11 2009, 07:39 PM
Post #4

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 3 215

Favorite Pokemon

For the most part, I stick to the higher accuracy move.

On Pokémon that have weather changing moves, or on teams that use weather changing moves, I'll keep at least one of the stronger moves for situations that I can set up the weather change. Other than that, I generally don't rely on riskier moves unless I have a No Guard Machamp. (Even then, its Sp. Attack is quite low, so the only moves I rely on him are things like Dynamic Punch for its confusion inducing skill...)
+Quote Post

KendoSword
post Apr 21 2009, 05:08 PM
Post #5

Killer Queen or some such
Group Icon

Member No.: 13 071

JIGGLE

I prefer weaker high-accuracy moves. I always thought Flamethrower was awesome, and Fire blast, too. But I don't like when it misses. Flamethrower can still do a lot of damage, so I'd rather stick to them.

--------------------
A fan fiction.
magikarp.gif
Daycare - Wailmer x Donphan
Egg Count: 40-something
Here's my parteh.
I don't care to edit this part of my OLD signature.
Other Adoptables (click to show)
Clubbies! JOIN DEM (click to show)
My Personality Quiz Results... (click to show)
+Quote Post

Muirgen
post Apr 21 2009, 05:17 PM
Post #6

Pokemon Lover of all Kinds
Group Icon

Member No.: 12 988

Current SS Team

I prefer both, because they both can be quite good in battle. Even though I usually use weaker high accurancy more than strong low. But I would occassionaly use the stronger moves. I had Thunder on my Aggron on Emerald, and it kinds barely missed. I kinda think it depends on your trust (or whatever you want to call it =P) in your Pokemon. =D

--------------------

Please click and feed and warm to help them grow.

My Soulsilver Dragonite (click to show)

Claimed Pokemon | Credits (click to show)

+Quote Post

DragonSpear
post Apr 22 2009, 08:43 PM
Post #7

The forums' idiot
Group Icon

Member No.: 11 308

I CLAIM SALAMENCE

I'd prefer Flamethrower over Fire Blast. Especially in sweeping, if your pokemon has really good speed, Flamethrower hits twice and equals 290 damage, while Fire Blast can miss once in 4 turns and it is possible to miss once so in 2 hits it can only equal to 120.

--------------------
Thank you JelloJolteon, for my avatar
+Quote Post

Seadragon
post Apr 22 2009, 08:47 PM
Post #8

Splash
Group Icon

Member No.: 926

Active Squad

HORN DRILL. One hit KO. Always. But has ridiculous accuracy.

--------------------
magnemite.gif poliwhirl.gif Poliwhirl and Magnemite are claimed by me! poliwhirl.gif magnemite.gif

If you want to have a uber on your team, fine. Use one. Don't let other people stop you from having Pokemon you want on your team unless you tell them to. I don't think there's anything wrong with ubers, so I gladly use my Lugia. If you want to have a uber on your team, don't leave them sitting in a box just because someone said they're wrong. Take them out and stick em' in your team, dangit!!

And remember kids, frogs are evil! They are. Have you ever looked at their eyes? PURE EVIL.

Click the eggs/Pokemon, I will ALWAYS return the favors. awesome.gif But if you're only going to only click one, click the Poliwhirl.
+Quote Post

Ogre
post Apr 25 2009, 09:49 AM
Post #9

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 7 583

My motley crew...

The weaker, more accurate moves win out with me. Honestly, I think I may have had more hits with Guillotine than Thunder, it's ridiculous.

Generally though, I prefer the middle-ground. Moves that deal out 100 damage at 80 accuracy, or moves that deal out 120-40 damage coupled with a stat penalty (but not recoil - hate those).
+Quote Post

Xdogking
post May 17 2009, 05:29 PM
Post #10

Would you care for some Bone-Meringue Pie?
Group Icon

From: Making Bone-Meringue Pie for Marowak and Octillery.
Member No.: 24 166

Team EpicSauce

I prefer High Accuracy. I dunno if I'vbe ever really used Hydro Pump or Fire blast. I prefer Surf and Flamethrower. For example...

In 5 turns, Surf does ~475 Base power

Hydro Pump does ~420 Base Power

--------------------

Extended Team EpicSauce.

+Quote Post

yuna359
post Jul 12 2009, 10:03 PM
Post #11

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 31 357

Active Squad

I usually go for higher accuracy. Moves with 80% accuracy seem to conk out on you at the worst time. I have Empoleon with hydro pump but it keeps missing. >_>

--------------------
Let's help each other out 'kay?

+Quote Post

FearTheSpork
post Jul 13 2009, 09:46 AM
Post #12

Pokemon Ranger
Group Icon

Member No.: 40 993

Random Race Roster

I would normally combine both, but if I'm feeling cocky (Cynthia's last Pokemon, for example) I'll try to blow it away and have an explosive ending to the battle. XD I love it when the mov hits, but if it misses, I'm like 'Fail'.

But some moves are ridiculous, such as Fissure. 30% accuracy, seriously?

--------------------

Current Team in Training

Places To Find Me (click to show)
+Quote Post

Lacesso
post Aug 25 2009, 07:53 PM
Post #13

burp
Group Icon

Member No.: 54 386

Platinum Party

I've always liked high accuracy.

One example being that a Zubats supersonic is it's only way to survive against msot other pokémon at it's level, considering it's movepool is so bad at the start of the game. I used it and missed 6 times in a row while facing a lower level Zubat. 55% Accuracy... The other guys Zubat confused me on his first shot, so I had to heal a couple times thanks to hitting myself, but not once did my supersonic hit. I gave up after I snapped out of confusion and the other Zubat confused me with one hit again. not to mention that whenever I do confuse someone, they rarely hurt themselves, yet I rarely attack when I'm confused

AHHHHHHH I HATE ZUBAT BUT I WANT A CROBAT.

Yea. Always liked high accuracy. Theres no frustration when you miss and there is plenty of PP.

--------------------

Pokédex completion: 493/493
Services I can perform for free! (click to show)

People who have used my services on these forums! (click to show)

All my pokémons for trade are at Pokémon Elite 2000 forums click to visit! WARNING: EXTERNAL LINK
I play RuneScape

+Quote Post

MoogleSam
post Aug 26 2009, 02:34 PM
Post #14

A Defensive, Protective, Fair, Happy and Playful Lion~
Group Icon

Member No.: 11 034

Roster in Diamond

I use both. Pikachu = Quick Attack, Slam, Thunderbolt and Thunder for me normally. Thunder and Slam miss quite often while Quick Attack and Thunderbolt usually hit. I usually go for power though, I like a full force attack. XD

--------------------
If any of my old friends want to contact me, please email me!
+Quote Post

Red blaziken
post Aug 30 2009, 09:51 AM
Post #15

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 47 769

My best pokemons

I prefer the low attack but very easy to do damage attacks but sometimes, if my pokemon have good aim I use the stronger moves (an example: my jolteon in pokemon XD from 10 thunders only fail 1 but sometimes it doesn´t fail any of his attacks)(oh god, I love that jolteon XD)

--------------------

Thanks to Miekiki for all those avatars and banners

FEAR THE RED BLAZIKEN AND TENEBRIOROS TOO (XD)
Spoiler (click to showhide)
+Quote Post

Abdication
post Aug 30 2009, 12:02 PM
Post #16

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 56 277

In-game Team

Depends on the opponent, and my Pokemon. If the opponent has higher Special Defense or Defense, I use lower Accuracy more powerful attacks to help break through it's Defense or Special Defense. When using a higher Attack or Special Attack Pokemon (Like Porygon-Z), I use lower power, higher Accuracy moves like Tri-Attack or Ice Beam. And if it's my Instant Fainter, Rhyperior, I use low Accuracy, high power Attacks even through he already has high Attack, due to his Weaknesses.
So it depends on the Pokemon, Stats, and opponent.

--------------------
isay.gif I say... whatever it is I'm saying.
+Quote Post

Black Ice
post Aug 30 2009, 03:15 PM
Post #17

A New Era
Group Icon

Member No.: 28

Active Squad

Depends on the user, mostly. Things that need to hit as hard and fast as they can (Infernape) could probably go with Fire Blast over Flamethrower, but more bulky Pokemon like Starmie would probably do better with Surf over Hydro Pump, mainly because Hydro Pump has low PP, which doesn't really complement Starmie's bulkyish nature. Same with Suicune, but Suicune can also be used as a sweeper instead of a bulkyish thing, in which case Hydro Pump could be used with better results.

--------------------

+Quote Post

draconitas
post Aug 31 2009, 02:51 AM
Post #18

Devourer of Oranges
Group Icon

Member No.: 33 753

SKYARAJASK ARMY

I prefer higher accuracy. I'm fine with moves of not less than 85 Accuracy, but that's the lower limit.

QUOTE(Ogre @ Apr 25 2009, 10:49 PM) *
Generally though, I prefer the middle-ground. Moves that deal out 100 damage at 80 accuracy, or moves that deal out 120-40 damage coupled with a stat penalty (but not recoil - hate those).

Agreed. I dislike recoil. Generally the pokemon/moves I use have a type advantage against the opponent, so the extra power from higher power moves isn't that important. What's important to me is that I deal as much damage as I can in as little time, and the risk of moves missing, I find, makes low-acc moves less effective on the whole.

Most low-acc-high-power moves also have low PP, but that isn't such an important factor in-game in the later generations. I grew something like 200 Leppa berries (restores 10 PP), just for kicks. Technically they're useful if you start running out of PP in E4 battles and such, but my team, as I said, doesn't have many (if any) low-PP-high-power moves.

--------------------
You can call me niel. <3

Ninja Army: 63 units (click to show)
Groups (click to show)

GOLDEN UNFAIL
IS ME

+Quote Post

Hawkstar
post Sep 1 2009, 09:02 PM
Post #19

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 60 773

My Party for Platinum

It depends. If the foe has a tiny bit of HP left, I'd use a weak move to finish them off. But if they were in full health, I'd risk it. You might be unlucky, but if you're not, watch out!

--------------------
Help a breeder out? cat.gif

Thanks so much!
+Quote Post

Realize
post Sep 23 2009, 12:40 PM
Post #20

the world's smallest violin
Group Icon

Member No.: 59 893

RAWR.

QUOTE(Frost Sy @ Apr 11 2009, 07:43 PM) *
I prefer to use the weaker, higher accuracy moves as they have more PP. Even if they are weaker than the other moves, they will last you longer if you have to use that move repeatedly without healing (like in the Elite 4), and will hit much more than the stronger ones.

However, I would use the stronger moves if a weather effect boosts their accuracy, such as Hail makes Blizzard 100% accurate and Rain Dance does the same to Thunder. Then the moves would have high damage and high accuracy, making them deadly.

THIS. I absolutely agree with this person.
Thunderbolt > Thunder, but if I know I'm going to Rain Dance, why wouldn't I have Thunder? Otherwise, though, Thunderbolt for sure, you know?

Whatever's logical is win.
And what's generally logical is when a move doesn't hit, it's a waste of turn, and I don't like wastin' my turns! ;(

--------------------

♥ ♥ ♥

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:42 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.