Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Dungeon Survival RP, Choose Your Own Subject!
Toogee
post Nov 27 2011, 11:26 PM
Post #1

Weak Livered Milk Drinker
Group Icon

Group: RP Moderators
Member No.: 208

And a Golurk

I have an idea of a different kind of RP: dungeon survival. In this genre, a group of heroes would make their way through an endless labyrinth of enemies and traps. One group of RPers would play as the heroes, while another group would play as the dungeonmasters, the ones who try to cut the heroes' journey short. The RP can end in two ways: either all the heroes are killed/defeated or the dungeonmasters run out of ideas for enemies/rooms.

This thread is a discussion on whether this genre could work, what needs fixing, and if there are enough interested parties willing to give one a go. Rules would also be discussed.

As for subjects, I am open to a multitude of options. I'll list a few options I can think of on top of my head:

Pokemon: It's a pokemon forum, so this is probably the one thing everyone has in common. My first thought of a RP was a recreation of the events of Diamond/Pearl. A group of trainers would be running through Mt. Cornet batling Galactic grunts, wild pokemon, and maybe even a few legendary pokemon. I might be tempted to do some sort of Mystery Dungeon RP...maybe.

Zelda: I don't see too many of these around here. It might be neat to see a group of Links from different generations and eras (game-related and made up) team up against one massive dungeon.

Something more modern: Rather than a bunch of hardened warriors, what if we stuck a bunch of ordinary people in a dungeon full of monsers, zombies, etc? The results could be...messy.

Generic: No one said this had to be based on some franchise. We could Fantasy, space, zombie, time travel, whatever.

Other: Have anything in mind? Speak up! It's late and I can't think of anymore subjects, so I might have forgotten a few that I know.

As for stuff I won't do, I really don't want this to be yet another glinka or gjinka (whatever you want to call it) RP. There are enough of those. Also, I am not familiar with any manga/anime whatsoever. If you want to do something based on such a series, be prepared to give a brief explanation as to what that series is about.

I think that should be enough for now. Anyone interested?

--------------------
PANE Mod

PANE x2 (click to show)

Credit for 2gamer's Seel of Approval (click to show)
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Klowii is Sexy
post Nov 27 2011, 11:46 PM
Post #2

She's sexy and I know it~
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 30 189

Add fifth gen, please

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this has been an idea in the making. (:

But it's a great one. Mayhaps a Pokemon RP, since there aren't many good ones out there. I also like your idea of a time-travel themed one. I was thinking about that type of RP and I thought we could have the enemies bring in baddies from different eras and universes, like FF or Zelda, and medieval eras, like dragons, and warlocks.

--------------------
[align=right]2:31 PM 08/10/07 - 11:19 PM 03/17/2012 remember~[/align]
[align=right]
[/align]
+Quote Post

For Lack of a Be...
post Nov 28 2011, 01:38 AM
Post #3

SPHERICAL
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 106 944

Active Squad

Perhaps for the pokemon subject instead of Mt. Cornet as the location, it could be the in Reverse world? Perhaps go through Turnback Cave first. There could be all sorts of pokemon-themed traps, as well as having all sorts of pokemon and grunts to fight through.

--------------------
roleplays (click to show)

Feel Free to PM me for any RP requests, or even if you want to collaborate!
+Quote Post

Toogee
post Nov 28 2011, 07:27 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

And a Golurk

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this has been an idea in the making. (:

But it's a great one. Mayhaps a Pokemon RP, since there aren't many good ones out there. I also like your idea of a time-travel themed one. I was thinking about that type of RP and I thought we could have the enemies bring in baddies from different eras and universes, like FF or Zelda, and medieval eras, like dragons, and warlocks.

Ooh, not one particular franchise, but all. I do like that idea. Perhaps the heroes could gain a power from their favorite franchise to fight back.

Perhaps for the pokemon subject instead of Mt. Cornet as the location, it could be the in Reverse world? Perhaps go through Turnback Cave first. There could be all sorts of pokemon-themed traps, as well as having all sorts of pokemon and grunts to fight through.

THis could work too. I wish I could say more, but I have to get going.

--------------------
PANE Mod

PANE x2 (click to show)

+Quote Post

Wishful Jirachi
post Nov 28 2011, 12:15 PM
Post #5

Why must all things die...even this?
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 16 447

~HELLO~

I'm interested. It sounds quite like a table top RP. I'd be up for ultimately doing any of the above ideas but the ones I most like are the ordinary people and the time franchise ideas.

--------------------
Hey. Dark, Arcy if you see this, you can find me (Wishie) here:
https://www.madisonrenae.com/
https://www.facebook.com/madison.pontenberg/
+Quote Post

Toogee
post Nov 28 2011, 10:55 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

And a Golurk

With all of these ideas in mind, I say we combine them. Here's my thoughts:

A group of ordinary kids go out and search for a treasure within a cave. This was no ordinary cave however. Powered by the visitor's imaginations, the cave takes them to areas of different times, places, and even universes. The group must make it out each "room" until they finally reach this treasure. The question is can they survive their own imaginations?

It's a rough idea, but it gives the general idea. Plus, since everything is limited by one's imagination, any of the above ideas can be used as rooms. Comments?

--------------------
PANE Mod

PANE x2 (click to show)

+Quote Post

Wishful Jirachi
post Nov 28 2011, 11:58 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

~HELLO~

I like it. It's creative, somewhat has a sense of freedom, and could ultimately be very enjoyable. I really have to say that I like the way you worded the description as well, especially the final line. It was quite creative.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Elegant Flare
post Nov 29 2011, 06:57 AM
Post #8

Fiery and pretty. What more could you ask for?
Group Icon

Member No.: 64 936

Cuties 'n' beauties

From reading this breif description, I must say. I truly believe that this RP could turn out to be one that could flourish. If this idea were to go forward, I would certainly be interested. I certainly like how the RP would revolve around imagination.

Just one little thing I would like to bring up, though I have the feeling it doesn't have to be. If the idea of bringing teams such as Team Galactic were to be followed, it might be a good idea to make parts of the dungeon sections of their enemy bases, though i'm sure this idea had already been thought of.

Long story short, i'm interested.

--------------------

NEVER hold a princess captive. It gives them tons of time to plot revenge...
and they will probably know where you live...

For the hundreth time, my Nintendo WFC is back up! PM me if you want a 4th gen. battle!
+Quote Post

Toogee
post Nov 29 2011, 10:18 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

And a Golurk

Adding a slight edit to the proposed plot: instead of treasure, how about the group is searching for a mutual friend gone missing. The RP would begin with a large search party involving the entire town. I feel that this goal is a little more palatable than treasure. Plus, many characters would be more likely to die for a friend than anything material. Finally, it will allow for teamwork early on.

Question: Now that we have a few interested members, what role would you guys like to play? The heroes will take part in the story itself, interacting with each other and working together to overcome whatever challenges they face. The dungeonmasters will come up with those challenges; their goal is to cut down our heroes with obstacles and enemies they control. I really like the PvP aspect of this, but this only works if there are an adequate number of players on each side. I think we can get away with having more heroes than dungeonmasters. In addition, should a hero character get killed, that RPer has the option to play as a dungeonmaster and make life more difficult for the surviving characters.

Alternatively, we could have everyone have hero characters, but each RPer takes turns to create a dungeon and enemies. Everyone would take an enemy role in addition to a hero role, allowing for some PvP action.

Thoughts?

--------------------
PANE Mod

PANE x2 (click to show)

+Quote Post

Klowii is Sexy
post Nov 29 2011, 10:23 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Add fifth gen, please

I like it. Great idea, and some of the rooms could have video game creatures that you control against a Dungeonmaster's. XD I'm in.

--------------------
[align=right]
[/align]
+Quote Post

Elegant Flare
post Dec 2 2011, 07:27 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

Cuties 'n' beauties

I'm thinking that, for this situation, I would rather be a hero. It seems the villians will be in charge for the storyline, and the RP will go downhill if I am involved in that. Besides, when I am a hero, I find my character hanging around the other heroes alot more, making it much easier to drive them crazy!

And the idea of heading in there for a friend is much better and much more dramatic. There should probably be roughly one friend per hero, so there is someone everyone will feel close to

This post has been edited by Elegant Flare: Dec 2 2011, 07:28 AM

--------------------

For the hundreth time, my Nintendo WFC is back up! PM me if you want a 4th gen. battle!
+Quote Post

Gaarafan
post Dec 4 2011, 07:42 AM
Post #12

In case you haven´t noticed: I like Scyther.
Group Icon

Member No.: 66 483

BUGS!!!!

This looks like an awesome RPG idea!! I´d love to join, if that´s alright with all of you. I myself would really enjoy playing a Dungeonmaster, but the aspect that Elegant Flare pointed out is a good one. I get the feeling I´m more the Trap devising guy than the tell the stroy in a good way guy. But if there´s another Dm then I´d love to be one too!!

--------------------
90% of the Population hates Pirates. If you belong to the 10% with your own crew, Jolly Roger and a Bounty of over 100 million Berry (you´re a supernova of one Generation) then paste this into your sig.
---
PM me if you like One Piece as much as I do!
---
ninja.gif Scyther
Ye who searcheth for the fan of Gaaras be advised to looketh in the RPG section. See you there!
---
Scyther collection (click to show)

cool threads (click to show)

Other stuff made for me (click to show)
+Quote Post

Actinium
post Dec 4 2011, 09:53 AM
Post #13

I'm Human Sized! :D
Group Icon

Member No.: 106 466

HG team~

I'd love to join~! I like random rooms and situations being thrown at us. grin.gif I'd be one of the heros~!

--------------------
Sig under renovation. AGAIN.

Song of the Week ~ Headphone Actor, Vocaloid IA

Spoiler (click to showhide)
+Quote Post

Wishful Jirachi
post Dec 4 2011, 03:05 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

~HELLO~

On the topic of sides, I'd be fine doing either. Being a dungeonmaster would be interesting and a nice contrast as most seem to wish to be a hero instead.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Toogee
post Dec 4 2011, 05:23 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

And a Golurk

QUOTE(Elegant Flare @ Dec 2 2011, 06:27 AM) *
I'm thinking that, for this situation, I would rather be a hero. It seems the villians will be in charge for the storyline, and the RP will go downhill if I am involved in that. Besides, when I am a hero, I find my character hanging around the other heroes alot more, making it much easier to drive them crazy!

And the idea of heading in there for a friend is much better and much more dramatic. There should probably be roughly one friend per hero, so there is someone everyone will feel close to

I myself would really enjoy playing a Dungeonmaster, but the aspect that Elegant Flare pointed out is a good one. I get the feeling I´m more the Trap devising guy than the tell the stroy in a good way guy.

Not every room will be story critical. In fact, most of the rooms will just be fun ways the dungeon masters can torture the heroes :P. No need to worry about that if that's all that's bothering you.

On friends, I'm thinking that their would be one friend everyone cares about. This would also give the group of heroes at least one connection to each other and make interaction more interesting.

Heroes
Elegant Fire
Orange and Blue

Dungeon masters
Gaarafan
Wishful Jirachi

Undecided
Banderswitch
2gamers

Well, we're at a dead tie. I haven't quite figured out what role I'll play in all of this; I'm open to both sides to be honest.

Finally, I have revised the story further, adding some background details. Comments are welcome:

Cecil was just another average teen in the rural community of Chestnut Hollow, at least, in most aspects of life. What set him apart from the others was his knack for writing. In the evenings, he would type up short stories of whatever popped into his mind. Considering he was a huge junkie of all kinds of media, such as movies, books, music, and even video games, he had a vast imagination for his works. Anything from fan-fiction to original stories was fair game in Cecil’s eyes.

When the school newspaper was holding a story contest, it came to no surprise that Cecil had the winning entry. His chilling mystery took first place. The prize: a black feather quill from a raven. He was quite proud of the accomplishment, not to mention that he always wanted a quill.

Unfortunately, this wasn’t an ordinary writing instrument. Cecil found this out during a severe thunderstorm. The electricity was out, so Cecil couldn’t type up his ideas. He hated forgetting ideas before he could jot them down, so he grabbed his quill, a notebook, and a flashlight. As he began to jot down ideas, Cecil found that he could not stop writing. Normally, this was a good thing for writers, but this wasn’t normal. He physically could not stop writing! It was as if the pen had taken over. Things became very scary when the pen started leading him out of the house. His family fast asleep and unaware of the situation, he was forced into the pelting rain outside. Further and further they went: across streets, through deep forest, and eventually into an isolated cave. Once inside, the pen began writing anew, putting Cecil’s imagination into writing. Through the power of the malevolent pen, his ideas became reality: the stories and characters came to life in a seemingly infinite number of “rooms”. If one were to follow Cecil inside, they would be subject to the perils of his writings.

That’s where our heroes come in. Cecil had been missing for two days, so the entire town shut down to find him and figure out what happened. They split into groups and scoured the wilderness. One such group would come across Cecil’s cave. Determined to bring the boy home, the group enters the cave. The question isn’t whether Cecil is inside, but rather...can they survive his imagination?

--------------------
PANE Mod

PANE x2 (click to show)

+Quote Post

Wishful Jirachi
post Dec 4 2011, 06:36 PM
Post #16

Group Icon

~HELLO~

I think it works. It's starting to come together quite nicely and it does seem that we are at a tie. I do have to say I'm pleased to see that at the current moment I won't be alone as a dungeon master. Two heads should be able to come up with even better rooms than just one.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Klowii is Sexy
post Dec 4 2011, 07:04 PM
Post #17

Group Icon

Add fifth gen, please

That seems great. And my name's Bandersnatch, not Banderswitch. happy.gif

And I like the idea of writing in the junkie aspect, so there'll be all sorts of stuff to deal with. I'm going to be a Dungeonmaster, if you don't mind, Mr. 2gamers. c:

--------------------
[align=right]
[/align]
+Quote Post

Toogee
post Dec 4 2011, 08:42 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

And a Golurk

Just to keep things even, I'll go hero.

Now, for the technical stuff: Rules and such. I'll ponder those in the coming days, but I'll take any suggestions on that front.

If heroes want to start up on profiles, here's a preliminary sheet:

Name:
Appearance: A minimum of a five sentence paragraph. Pictures are optional, but I still want the paragraph
Personality: How does this person act? Same paragraph length as above.
History: Same
Skills: Be realistic here. You're not going to see a bunch of kids with advanced military training.
Items: Again, be realalistic. Your character is on a search party, not heading into a warzone. Though hunting guns are reasonable, don't expect to find ammo where you're going.

Dungeon masters: THough you don't need profiles, you may go ahead and start thinking about areas. You can use this thread to brainstorm together if you'd like.

If I'm missing something, please comment. With any luck, I can get this up and running soon wink.gif.

--------------------
PANE Mod

PANE x2 (click to show)

+Quote Post

Elegant Flare
post Dec 5 2011, 07:10 AM
Post #19

Group Icon

Cuties 'n' beauties

Yipee! Even teams!

On friends, I'm thinking that their would be one friend everyone cares about. This would also give the group of heroes at least one connection to each other and make interaction more interesting.

Well now that you put it that way, how can I disagree?

That seems great. And my name's Bandersnatch, not Banderswitch.

Ha! Banderswitch! Terrific!

The updated story... I love it! What else can I say?

Just one question. What rating can be expected from this RP? G? PG+13? M? I can join either way. I'm just curious.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Gaarafan
post Dec 5 2011, 12:44 PM
Post #20

In case you haven´t noticed: I like Scyther.
Group Icon

Member No.: 66 483

BUGS!!!!

Time to create the ultimate dungeon! MUHAHAHA! I´l be needing to dig out the old Deathtrap Dungeon book for some good ideas.

I´m fine with any rating although it should probably be at least PG +13.

Won´t it be sort of boring though if all our DM Brainstorming ideas are right in here?

This post has been edited by Gaarafan: Dec 5 2011, 12:45 PM

--------------------
90% of the Population hates Pirates. If you belong to the 10% with your own crew, Jolly Roger and a Bounty of over 100 million Berry (you´re a supernova of one Generation) then paste this into your sig.
---
PM me if you like One Piece as much as I do!
---
ninja.gif Scyther
Ye who searcheth for the fan of Gaaras be advised to looketh in the RPG section. See you there!
---
Scyther collection (click to show)

cool threads (click to show)

Other stuff made for me (click to show)
+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 04:30 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.