Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Genders, For Legendaries...wtf...
The Darkrai
post Mar 23 2009, 07:31 PM
Post #21

Blaze of Gory
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 2 412

Original Squad

Latias/os both have genders, so why cant they breed with each other. Same species, diff gender, and yet compatibility = :fail:

--------------------

I have no more words.
darkrai.gif

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Rayquaza
post Mar 26 2009, 06:08 PM
Post #22

The green dragon of the skies.
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2 027

tey r huge!

QUOTE(Knuckles @ Mar 23 2009, 07:31 PM) *
Latias/os both have genders, so why cant they breed with each other. Same species, diff gender, and yet compatibility = :fail:

latios+latias= what would the baby look like? a latios/latias monster?= bad

but maybe it's just better there's no genders for some of them

Like a female mewtwo,
just think of all the fanart that would be on the web.
I dont think nintendo wants that...

This post has been edited by Rayquaza: Mar 26 2009, 06:08 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Thornstar
post Mar 30 2009, 10:56 PM
Post #23

Tastes like AGONY
Group Icon

Member No.: 1 777

Platinum Team

Uh eh Heatran has a 50% chance of being either gender o3o

And the whole Lati@s not being able to breed with each other is probably because they're supposed to be a brother/sister pair. And Nintendo probably doesn't want to promote inbreeding :P

--------------------
My Party

My Scroll

Claimage (click to show)

Favorite Quotes/Images/Whatever of the Now (click to show)
+Quote Post

Zoreta
post Apr 1 2009, 09:00 PM
Post #24

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 6 486

Active Squad

In the games, it's never stated that they're siblings. That's purely anime.

I think that the 'natural' legendaries (the birds, the beasts, the titans, etc) would have genders, and the purely man-made legends (regis) do not, but the human-manipulated legend (mewtwo) might. Deoxys probably would not have a gender, as it is a mutated virus, and viruses don't have genders.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Sherbet
post Apr 8 2009, 05:45 PM
Post #25

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7 586

YES

Mewtwo has to be male. o__o;;
In the movie he had a male voice

I JUST CANT IMAGINE HIM/IT/WHATEVER/???? AS A GIRL

This post has been edited by deer: Apr 8 2009, 05:46 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fuzzball
post Apr 11 2009, 01:25 AM
Post #26

I am the ultimate thunder demon
Group Icon

Member No.: 9 718

-Fuzzball's Team-

I don't care if they're genderless or not, I always give my legendaries genders. I usually go with the sterotypical guess (Mew being girl, Entei being boy). However, I am firm when I say that Rayquaza should be a girl. I mainly say that because on most virtual pet sites my username is Rayquaza and I'm female myself. XD

--------------------

-I CLAIM GROVYLE-

+Quote Post

Tsum
post Apr 11 2009, 04:39 PM
Post #27

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 3 215

Favorite Pokemon

If the Pokemon in question are 'God-like', I suppose it would be entirely possible to assume they are higher beings that conjured up physical bodies to interact with this world. Since that likely isn't the case, I think we can assume that 'Legendary Pokemon' are little more than extremely rare Pokemon that humans still know little about, that may have been common at one point in the Pokemon World's history.

After all, as they are all more or less animals (save for the Regis) I'm under the impression that they all have some type or form of gender as they must have had to bred at one point in time to do what all animals have to do. Their lack of a gender at this point in time could be explained as no need of having one (perhaps as a result of a natural 'fixing' due to lack of numbers in modern day). For those that have genders, like Heatran and Lati@s, its possible these Pokemon still are capable of breeding, just not in the traditional way that we've seen.

That said, I could easily see any Pokemon being any gender. (That is, except for those that only have one gender...)

Jynx would be an example of a Pokemon with only one gender. Mr. Mime on the other hand, is an English-invented name. Barrier'd provides nothing to point it in being as any one specific gender.
+Quote Post

Stealth Rock
post Apr 11 2009, 04:47 PM
Post #28

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 546

Old Gen 4 Team

... I change my opinion.
Genderless Pokémon are meant to be genderless.

Like SR...

--------------------

What if we were all just line segments living in a grid?
+Quote Post

Tiamat
post Apr 11 2009, 11:54 PM
Post #29

everything is happening so much
Group Icon

Member No.: 70

Active Squad

Flamer: Actually, in R/G/B/Y and FR/LG, the journals say that Mew gave birth to Mewtwo. It's still technically cloning, because that's basically what parthogenesis is--cloning inside the female's body. This therefore implied that Mewtwo is female from her genetics or neuter from the experiments when she was young. And given that I don't think the people writing the Pokedex entries had anything more then DNA to go on, they probably just thought that Mewtwo was a superclone rather then Mew's daughter.

Although whoever made the note about the legendary gerbils has a good point. I will give you e-cookies and milk for that.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Celebi Girl
post Apr 12 2009, 09:04 PM
Post #30

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 10 554

Active Squad

This is what I think
Mew: girl
Mew2: boy
Moltres: Girl (It is based on a phoenex, the chinese symbol for female)
Zapdos: Boy
Articuno: Girl
Lugia: Boy
Ho-Oh: Girl (see moltres)
Raikou: Boy
Entei: Boy
Suicune: Boy
Celebi: Girl
Kyogre: Boy
Groudon: Boy
Rayquaza: Girl
All Regis: Boy
Jirachi: Girl
Latias and Latios well, we don't need to say any more.
Deoxys: Boy (speed form looks slightly feminen)
Uxie: Nothing (If anything, girl)
Mesprit: Girl
Azelf: Boy
Dialga: Boy
Palkia: Boy
Giratina: Girl
Darkrai: Boy
Manaphy: Girl
Phione: Boy
Rotom: Girl
Shaymin: Girl
Arceus: Nothing (If anything, boy)

Please note I am a girl
+Quote Post

Kaname Madoka
post Apr 13 2009, 05:59 PM
Post #31

housewife extraordinaire!
Group Icon

Member No.: 7 542

Team HG

Even though legendaries don't have genders in the game, many of them were given genders when they appeared in the movies/anime, so I go with those genders and invent my own.

For example, Lugia and Mewtwo are OBVIOUSLY male.
I think Articuno and Moltres look girly, so I think they're female, while Zapdos is a male.
Mew is probably female.
ect.

I think it would be a lot more awesome if legendaries could have genders in the games, though, because it IS possible to get more than one of each.
+Quote Post

Vibrancy
post Apr 14 2009, 09:19 AM
Post #32

Sliding Scale of Idealism vs. Cynicism
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 6 512

Active Squad

I go with genders based off of my own feelings about it. Certain Pokemon, it's kind of obvious that they're one gender or another, with others, not so much.

It's all a matter of personal preference, really.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Master Houndoom
post Apr 14 2009, 10:24 AM
Post #33

Team Rogue: Houndoom
Group Icon

Member No.: 804

Uprising Mod

Well, I hate to say it, but if Mew is a female, and Mewtwo is a CLONE of the female, then Mewtwo must be a female. There would be no Y chromosome to make him male. Of course, s/he/it is an experiment, so if they mixed mew's DNA with, say, an Abra, that could provide the chromosome...

Latias and Latios, could they breed, would probably breed like Nidorans do. Females would be one, males the other.

I always saw the birds/dogs are super-evolved forms of already existing pokémon. Entei, for example, a super-evolved Arcanine, and Raikou a super-evolved Manetric. Suicune... I don't know. Possibly a Vaporeon (then again, they could all be super-eevees...) The birds are simply Fearow with elemental powers, except for Articuno, which is a super-cold Delibird... Therefore, unless things dropped off, then they SHOULD have genders. And doesn't Entei's pokedex entry say one is born whenever a volcano erupts?

I believe they don't have genders in game because they can't be bred in game, and only the later versions could be coded to prevent gendered pokémon from breeding. I also believe that they can't be bred in game because no trainer has the ability to make them breed in captivity. I think, outside of captivity, a little whine, some soft jazz... We'd have baby legendaries out the wazoo.

The Gen IV legendaries are guardians of forces (time, space, the netherworld, etc) and therefore non-gendered. Cresselia is a lower-guardian and probably assigned a gender through her legend.

This post has been edited by Jaima: Apr 14 2009, 11:29 AM

--------------------
[align=center]Uprising Mod

||
Jaima Kuonji and Meiko Omura||Branwys Muphenz
[spoiler=Jaima's Gym Badges][/spoiler]
PANE

||
Jay Lange||Olivia Prewitt
Uprising

As of January 29, 2010, at approximately 7:50am CST, 2gamers helped me complete my pokedex!

:houndoom: I claim Houndoom! :houndoom: [/align]
+Quote Post

Robynne
post Apr 16 2009, 06:15 AM
Post #34

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 12 003

Active Squad

The most logical reason that legendaries were programed to not have a gender in the games is simply because of breeding purposes. Legendaries are meant to be special, rare, hard to obtain. To achieve that, the creators removed the gender aspect from them so people couldn't mass them, and therefore "dequalifying" them, in a sense. This is speaking legitly however, since we all know that there are tons of legendaries out there anyways due to hacks.

It's safe to say that most legendaries, if not all, DO have a gender, as this was proven multiple times in the anime.... it's just that the gender is hidden in the games for breeding, most likely. When playing the games, it's best to simply imagine your legend pokemon as any gender you wish them to be and pretend that their "genderless" status is simply a hidden value, a secret.

I would like to think that a better method the creators could have used, instead of confusing everyone by labeling legendaries as genderless to solve their breeding problem... they should have given them percentage gender values like almost all other pokemon, but use a hidden code to still prevent them from breeding (much like the hidden codes preventing them from battling, duh), OR even allow them to breed but with much stricter conditions/requirements, so it's much more difficult to get babies, therefore backing up the fact that the pokemon is still rare, but for a reason.

That was just my ideology behind the whole gender issue...

--------------------
+Quote Post

beldum
post Apr 21 2009, 08:00 PM
Post #35

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 8 477

/

Here are the official gender ratios for the legendary pokemon.

Legendary Birds
Articuno is a Genderless species.
Zapdos is a Genderless species.
Moltres is a Genderless species.

Mew and Mewtwo
Mew is a Genderless species.
Mewtwo is a Genderless species. (Mewtwo is genderless, but it looks somewhat masculine. In the movies, it also has a male telepathic voice. In the movie Mewtwo Returns, Giovani says "that's a good boy" when speaking to Mewtwo after he agrees to submit to Giovani in exchange for the safety of the other clone pokemon. )

Legendary Beasts
Raikou is a Genderless species.
Entei is a Genderless species. (Entei is genderless, though it resembles a male lion.)
Suicune is a Genderless species.

Lugia and Ho-Oh
Ho-Oh is a Genderless species.
Lugia is a Genderless species.

Legendary Golems
Regirock is a Genderless species.
Regice is a Genderless species.
Registeel is a Genderless species.

The Ancients
Kyogre is a Genderless species.
Groudon is a Genderless species.
Rayquaza is a Genderless species.

Latios and Latias
Latias is a Female-only species.
Latios is a Male-only species.

Legendary Mirage Pokemon
Uxie is a Genderless species. (Despite being genderless in the main series games, Uxie is referred to as a male in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 2.)
Mesprit is a Genderless species. (Mesprit is genderless, although it is referred to as a female in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 2.)
Azelf is a Genderless species. (Azelf is genderless, although it is referred to as a male in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 2.)

Legendary Dragons
Dialga is a Genderless species. (Despite being genderless in the main series games, Dialga is referred to as a male in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 2.)
Palkia is a Genderless species. (Although Palkia is genderless in the main games, it is referred to as a male in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 2.)
Giratina is a Genderless species.

Legendary Lunar Pokemon
Darkrai is a Genderless species. (In Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 2, Darkrai is referred to as male, despite being genderless in the main series.)
Cresseliais a Female-only species.

The Other Legendaries
Celebi is a Genderless species. (But, suring the main story of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 2, the Shiny Celebi is referred to as a female, while it is genderless in the main series.)
Jirachi is a Genderless species.
Deoxys is a Genderless species.
Manaphy is a Genderless species. (In Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 2, Manaphy is constantly referred to as a male.)
Phione is a Genderless species.
Regigigas is a genderless species.
Heatran has a 50% male to 50% female gender ratio.
Shaymin is a Genderless species.
Arceus is a Genderless species.

Other
Rotom is a Genderless species. (When Rotom is encountered, the music is the same as legendary encounters although it is not classified as one. Rotom is, to date, the only non-legendary Pokémon to do this.)
Arcanine has a 75% male to 25% female gender ratio. (Arcanine's species classification is Legendary.)
Gyarados and Milotic both have a 50% male and 50% female gender ratio. (The fierceness and destructive nature of Gyarados is described in the Pokédex as a thing of legend as is the seemingly complementary beauty and calming ability of Milotic.)
Unown is a Genderless species. (Professor Oak referred to them as Legendary. Also, like legendaries, they cannot breed. In the anime, they appear to live in the same dimension as Dialga and Palkia.)
Lucario has a 87.5% male to 12.5% female gender ratio. (In Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, a Lucario was regarded as a legendary Rescue Team Leader in the distant past, and "Lucario Rank" is the highest attainable team rank in the game. Also, in the opening of the Diamond and Pearl theme song, Lucario appears beside Dialga and Palkia.)
Togepi has a 87.5% male to 12.5% female gender ratio. (In A Togepi Mirage! Togepi is referred to as a savior.)
Spiritomb has a 50% male to 50% female gender ratio.

--
So there you go. @___@

I really don't think legendaries should have a gender ratio. (Heatran, for example.) I think if a legendary is going to have a gender, it should be a female/male-only species. (Like Latias and Latios.)

This post has been edited by Shortie: Apr 21 2009, 08:04 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

MSE
post Apr 26 2009, 05:05 AM
Post #36

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Validating
Member No.: 15 626

MSE Revoluter Team

QUOTE(Renji Tsukyomi @ Mar 23 2009, 12:19 PM) *
The only legendaries with genders are:
Heatran-Male
Cresselia-Female
Latios-Male
Latias-Female

No more gendered legendaries unless they can breed is what I say.

EXPLAIN... Manaphy

--------------------
HELP THEM GROW
and I'll Return the favour x to x as long as I see your name in my list

+Quote Post

Mango
post Apr 26 2009, 05:14 AM
Post #37

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 7 640

Bathroom Janitors

AHAHA, a bunch of little baby legendary Pokemon running around would be interesting to watch =D
they'll be like:
OH YEAH? >=O WELL MY DAD SAYS I CAN DESTROY SINNOH BETTER THAN YOU!
then everything would explode and everyone would die =D
They should be genderless =o

--------------------
HEY DID YOU KNOW THAT WITH EVERY POKEMON AND EGG YOU WARM AND FEED YOU CAN SAVE UP TO TEN SQUIRRELS WITH SQUAIDS? you should test out that theory on my party first just to make sure its true. c:

the squirrels need your help.
+Quote Post

Mango
post Apr 26 2009, 05:14 AM
Post #38

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Bathroom Janitors

AHAHA, a bunch of little baby legendary Pokemon running around would be interesting to watch =D
they'll be like:
OH YEAH? >=O WELL MY DAD SAYS I CAN DESTROY SINNOH BETTER THAN YOU!
then everything would explode and everyone would die =D
They should be genderless =o

--------------------
HEY DID YOU KNOW THAT WITH EVERY POKEMON AND EGG YOU WARM AND FEED YOU CAN SAVE UP TO TEN SQUIRRELS WITH SQUAIDS? you should test out that theory on my party first just to make sure its true. c:

+Quote Post

Mango
post Apr 26 2009, 05:15 AM
Post #39

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Bathroom Janitors

o.o Sorry for the double post LOL

--------------------

+Quote Post

PKEgglover
post Apr 26 2009, 01:55 PM
Post #40

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 16 279

Active Squad

Though Palkia is referred to as a Male i can't stop thinking it's a girl.
The feet look SO much like High heels.

--------------------

Please Click,I promise i'll click back.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:52 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.