Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Okay, so I need some advice.
Cerulyth
post Mar 6 2008, 07:58 PM
Post #1

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1 337

Active Squad

Well, I used to think I was awesome at this, but then I played a lot of online battles against people who are actually, you know, good, and I learned something. I suck. So I'm reworking my entire team.

format:
Pokémon - Nature - EVs
Item / Ability
-moves

Here's my old team:

Roserade♀ - Timid - 252SpAtk - 252 Spd - 6 SpDef
Miracle Seed / Poison Point
-Toxic
-Magical Leaf
-Stun Spore
-Giga Drain

Absol♀ - Jolly - 252Atk - 252Spd - 6HP
Razor Claw / Super Luck
-Night Slash
-Psycho Cut
-Slash
-Pursuit

Tentacruel♀ - Sassy - 126SpAtk - 126Spd - 132Def - 126SpDef
Icy Rock / Clear Body
-Barrier
-Hail
-Toxic Spikes
-Water Pulse

Froslass♀ - Quirky - 252Spd - 126Atk - 132SpAtk
NeverMeltIce / Snow Cloak
-Hail
-Blizzard
-Shadow Ball
-Crunch

Houndoom♀ - Quirky - 252Spd - 126Atk - 132SpAtk
Charcoal / Flash Fire
-Roar
-Flamethrower
-Fire Fang
-Crunch

Milotic♀ - Modest - 126Def - 132SpDef - 63SpAtk - 189Spd
Mystic Water / Marvel Scale
-Attract
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Recover

(optional) Shedinja - Naughty - 252Atk - 252Spd - 6SpAtk
Spell Tag / Wonder Guard
-Double Team
-Grudge
-X-Scissor
-Shadow Sneak

(optional) Vespiquen - Adamant - 132Def - 126SpDef - 252Atk
SilverPowder / Pressure
-Attack Order
-Defense Order
-Toxic
-Heal Order

Now, there are a lot of problems with this team. For one, I must have been on something when I EVed Tentacruel and Milotic. Also, Shedinja is nearly useless because of all the fights I've had the nerve to bring it out in, I've only won one because of it. I'm smart enough to save Shedinja as an endgame Pokémon, but that one time Shedinja saved me my opponent only had a Blaziken and a Lucario left, and he forfeited. That win was based on poor planning on his part; I mean, who has a Blaziken with NO Fire-type moves, honestly? And all the people with Lucario I've fought besides him were smart enough to shove at least one Dark-type move onto it. As for Froslass, she's useless because she relies on Snow Cloak and she's not exactly the fastest nor the most resiliant Pokémon in the world. She usually tag-teams with Tentacruel (whose main strategy with Icy Rock / Hail is to make it hail for Froslass, that's it), but even with that 30% evasiveness boost Snow Cloak gives her, with a 100% accuracy move directed at her, 70% is still damn good odds to hit. Speaking of Tentacruel, if Froslass goes, then Tentacruel goes because that's the whole reason she's there. Absol's good, with heavy Attack and attacks that utilize it, but more often than not even Absol gets outsped, and a single Fighting-type attack spells doom. I've been putting a Life Orb on Absol more often lately than the Razor Claw, because the Life Orb is a sure thing and the penalty for it isn't bad considering Absol's purpose and fraility. Milotic could use some work. I mean, Attract is useless; a one-in-two chance of immobilizing the other Pokémon if it's opposite gender? It's screwed me over more often than it's helped. On the subject of useless moves, Roar on Houndoom. Roar looks good on paper, but it's only once helped me out in a battle. It'd be a lot better if it wasn't forced to go last, but it is. Vespiquen, too slow for her own good; Roserade, excellent SpAtk, but her HP IV is 3, which is pitiful, and she doesn't have any quality power attacks. Lastly, the entire team is female. Which isn't a bad thing, but it could screw me over if I ever came across a male Attracter. Froslass is forced female, I chose female Milotic and Roserade for better gender dimorphism, everything else was the first best thing I bred.

Team I'm considering:

Absol (same)
Life Orb

Roserade (rebred) - Timid
Expert Belt(?) / Poison Point
-Leaf Storm
-Synthesis
-Giga Drain
-(unknown at this point, maybe Magical Leaf)

Milotic (rebred)
Flame Orb / Marvel Scale
-Hypnosis
-Recover
-Surf
-Ice Beam

Houndoom (same)
Charcoal / Flash Fire
-(same moveset, except replacing Roar with something better, I'm not sure what yet)

Toxicroak - Jolly
(unknown item right now, maybe Poison Barb) / Anticipation
-Poison Jab
-Pursuit
-Bullet Punch
-Earthquake

There's five I've confirmed unless there's some obvious flaw. Toxicroak plans on being my main Steel counter. Houndoom was originally, but certain Steel-types (read: Lucario) knew powerful Fighting-type moves to bring it down. I think a Flame Orb would work nicely on Milotic, since it would kick Marvel Scale into effect and wouldn't hurt any moves she would potentially use, and breeding Hypnosis onto her would provide another option for attack. I'm not sure of the Expert Belt on Roserade; Miracle Seed would boost Leaf Storm to roughly 240 base including STAB (hell, even Giga Drain to ~100 including STAB), but Expert Belt would kick a super-effective Leaf Storm up to ~500 base. As for the other three Pokémon (I like to have eight to shuffle around and choose from), I'm thinking Dusknoir, a really good Bug-type, and either Jolteon or Magnezone. Magnezone's powerful, but Jolteon's got speed to counter Weavile. Plus, I've heard Jolteon makes a great Baton Passer, and would make Absol near unstoppable if it transferred some speed over. I don't know. Advice, please?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

ChroniclerC
post Mar 6 2008, 10:32 PM
Post #2

Read, or the Owl will eat you!
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 731

Whitegleam Gym

QUOTE(Mewtation @ Mar 6 2008, 06:58 PM) *
Well, I used to think I was awesome at this, but then I played a lot of online battles against people who are actually, you know, good, and I learned something. I suck. So I'm reworking my entire team.

format:
Pokémon - Nature - EVs
Item / Ability
-moves

Team I'm considering:

Absol♀ - Jolly
Life Orb / Super Luck
-Night Slash
-Psycho Cut
-Slash
-Pursuit
Oh, how I wish that the super-crit set could work. *sigh* Drop Slash; you will never use it in your life if you have Night Slash and Psycho Cut. If you still want to go for crits, Stone Edge is your friend. I'm not sure on Pursuit. I don't really see a lot of things fleeing from an Absol. Try Sucker Punch or Thunder Wave instead.

Roserade (rebred) - Timid
Expert Belt(?) / Poison Point
-Leaf Storm
-Synthesis
-Giga Drain
-(unknown at this point, maybe Magical Leaf)
Sludge Bomb and Energy Ball please! Unless they have drastically different effects, having multiple attacks of the same type just means you'll be type-screwed more often (if one grass attack is NVE, they're all NVE). I'd recommend giving it Aromatherapy for some level of cleric-ness, and the fourth move would be to your taste. I like Extrasensory or Shadow Ball, but I'm fond of sweepers. Roserade gets a ton of status and support moves. As for items, your plan of "Expert Belt + STAB + SE + Leaf Storm" sounds nice on paper, but you should never depend on your opponent to work right into your plans. Not sure what exactly to suggest, but Leftovers or Black Sludge (see below) could work. Lastly, I think Natural Cure is the better ability, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Milotic
Flame Orb / Marvel Scale
-Hypnosis
-Recover
-Surf
-Ice Beam
Hmmm... Self inflicted status... It might just be crazy enough to work! Rest might be better than recover, but I'm not sure. You'll probably want a second opinion on this one.

Houndoom♀
Charcoal / Flash Fire
-Roar
-Flamethrower
-Fire Fang
-Crunch
Items that boost a single attack type [FAIL]. Spreading your attacks to the different stats isn't the best idea, either. Drop Crunch for Dark Pulse, and Fire Fang for Hidden Power if you can get a good one (Nasty Plot or Will-o-wisp if you can't). Good HPower types are things that deal with water-types or fighting-types. I'd consider keeping Roar for the psuedo-Haze (unless you get something that actually has Haze on your 6th).

Toxicroak - Jolly
(unknown item right now, maybe Poison Barb) / Anticipation
-Poison Jab
-Pursuit
-Bullet Punch
-Earthquake
Dry Skin plz, and see my previous comment on type-boosting items. Grab a poke with Compound Eyes and go hunting for Black Sludge (found on wild Croagunk and Toxicroak). Again, I'm skeptical about Pursuit on a poke who isn't a finisher, especially when it doesn't have STAB. Again, I recomend swapping it for Sucker Punch (what can I say? I like a Quick Attack with 80 BP), and dropping Bullet Punch for a STABed Brick Break.

There's five I've confirmed unless there's some obvious flaw. Toxicroak plans on being my main Steel counter. Houndoom was originally, but certain Steel-types (read: Lucario) knew powerful Fighting-type moves to bring it down. I think a Flame Orb would work nicely on Milotic, since it would kick Marvel Scale into effect and wouldn't hurt any moves she would potentially use, and breeding Hypnosis onto her would provide another option for attack. I'm not sure of the Expert Belt on Roserade; Miracle Seed would boost Leaf Storm to roughly 240 base including STAB (hell, even Giga Drain to ~100 including STAB), but Expert Belt would kick a super-effective Leaf Storm up to ~500 base. As for the other three Pokémon (I like to have eight to shuffle around and choose from), I'm thinking Dusknoir, a really good Bug-type, and either Jolteon or Magnezone. Magnezone's powerful, but Jolteon's got speed to counter Weavile. Plus, I've heard Jolteon makes a great Baton Passer, and would make Absol near unstoppable if it transferred some speed over. I don't know. Advice, please?

I'm not sure what to suggest for your sixth, but I can really see most of this team getting creamed by Medicham or Gallade. Or pretty much any Fighting-type with EQ. A Flying-type (or Levitater) might help, or maybe just something with a boatload of speed. I'm sure someone else will have a decent idea.

--------------------

:porygon: Mine, all mine. :porygon: :noctowl: Read, or the owl will eat you! :noctowl:

[align=center]
Whitegleam Gym

Nothing "Normal" about it.[/align]
+Quote Post

Cerulyth
post Mar 6 2008, 11:38 PM
Post #3

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

Hey, these are actually some pretty solid ideas. Thanks!

QUOTE(ChroniclerC @ Mar 6 2008, 10:32 PM) *
Absol
Oh, how I wish that the super-crit set could work. *sigh* Drop Slash; you will never use it in your life if you have Night Slash and Psycho Cut. If you still want to go for crits, Stone Edge is your friend. I'm not sure on Pursuit. I don't really see a lot of things fleeing from an Absol. Try Sucker Punch or Thunder Wave instead.

Hrm, you're right about Slash, I just stuck it on in case I found something that was resistant to both Dark and Psychic attacks. I had Sucker Punch on Absol for a while, it's not a bad move. I could use that. As for Pursuit, I usually lead with Absol, and if they lead out with a Psychic-type, they'd be like "oh shit" and try to switch out, putting them right in the way of Pursuit.

Roserade
Sludge Bomb and Energy Ball please! Unless they have drastically different effects, having multiple attacks of the same type just means you'll be type-screwed more often (if one grass attack is NVE, they're all NVE). I'd recommend giving it Aromatherapy for some level of cleric-ness, and the fourth move would be to your taste. I like Extrasensory or Shadow Ball, but I'm fond of sweepers. Roserade gets a ton of status and support moves. As for items, your plan of "Expert Belt + STAB + SE + Leaf Storm" sounds nice on paper, but you should never depend on your opponent to work right into your plans. Not sure what exactly to suggest, but Leftovers or Black Sludge (see below) could work. Lastly, I think Natural Cure is the better ability, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Aromatherapy could work. You're right, it's very rare that they'll work straight into a super-effective plan, so Expert Belt's out. I think it would be good to keep Leaf Storm, though. Energy Ball and Sludge Bomb sound good too. Looks like I'm going to have to go TM searching. I've heard the Natural Cure sentiment a lot, too. It makes more sense; Poison Point requires physical contact, and Roserade's Defense isn't that great. Plus, 30% isn't great odds.

Milotic
Hmmm... Self inflicted status... It might just be crazy enough to work! Rest might be better than recover, but I'm not sure. You'll probably want a second opinion on this one.

Rest does sound better. It'll heal to the max instead of half, and still keep Milotic protected. If I could sacrifice a moveslot, Sleep Talk would probably work too. But that would mean I'd have to ditch Hypnosis, which could be potentially useful. Hmm, choices.

Houndoom
Items that boost a single attack type [FAIL]. Spreading your attacks to the different stats isn't the best idea, either. Drop Crunch for Dark Pulse, and Fire Fang for Hidden Power if you can get a good one (Nasty Plot or Will-o-wisp if you can't). Good HPower types are things that deal with water-types or fighting-types. I'd consider keeping Roar for the psuedo-Haze (unless you get something that actually has Haze on your 6th).

Hrm, good point on the single-attack-boost-items and the division of attacks to stats. I never liked Hidden Power much because with so many factors concerning the breeding (nature, ability, IVs, sometimes gender), if you throw another factor in it's extremely hard to get what you want. But you pose a good point.

Toxicroak
Dry Skin plz, and see my previous comment on type-boosting items. Grab a poke with Compound Eyes and go hunting for Black Sludge (found on wild Croagunk and Toxicroak). Again, I'm skeptical about Pursuit on a poke who isn't a finisher, especially when it doesn't have STAB. Again, I recomend swapping it for Sucker Punch (what can I say? I like a Quick Attack with 80 BP), and dropping Bullet Punch for a STABed Brick Break.

Ooh, I didn't even think of Brick Break. Black Sludge does sound like a good item, especially if I'm toting two Poison-types. I've never played many weather-based battles, and I don't play that game myself so I didn't see the point in Dry Skin, and Anticipation could give me a heads-up on potentially devastating moves for Toxicroak. But then again, what am I going to do if the opposing Pokémon does have a move like that, sacrifice another for it? You've got a point. Bullet Punch was just the token Steel-type attack, it can be dropped. And since I don't see myself leading in or ending with Toxicroak, Pursuit too.

I'm not sure what to suggest for your sixth, but I can really see most of this team getting creamed by Medicham or Gallade. Or pretty much any Fighting-type with EQ. A Flying-type (or Levitater) might help, or maybe just something with a boatload of speed. I'm sure someone else will have a decent idea.

Right. I'll have to do a little research on Fighting-types, maybe pick up a Gallade myself. Fighting/Psychic is such an awkward typing to defend against. I could throw in that Dusknoir, but that's open itself to a hardcore Psychic-type. Well, anyway, thanks.
+Quote Post

ChroniclerC
post Mar 7 2008, 12:10 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Whitegleam Gym

Dry Skin isn't just affected by weather. It lets Toxicroak absorb all Water-type attacks (just like Water Absorb) at the cost of gaining a weakness to Fire.

--------------------

:porygon: Mine, all mine. :porygon: :noctowl: Read, or the owl will eat you! :noctowl:

[align=center]
Whitegleam Gym

+Quote Post

Cerulyth
post Mar 7 2008, 12:46 AM
Post #5

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(ChroniclerC @ Mar 7 2008, 12:10 AM) *
Dry Skin isn't just affected by weather. It lets Toxicroak absorb all Water-type attacks (just like Water Absorb) at the cost of gaining a weakness to Fire.

Oh, it does? I totally didn't know this. (Actually, I think I've heard it before, I just didn't remember it.) Well, Dry Skin just looked a lot better.
+Quote Post

ChroniclerC
post Mar 7 2008, 02:11 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Whitegleam Gym

Something I forgot to touch on earlier:

Leaf Storm and its kin (Overheat, Draco Meteor, etc.) are best for physical attackers that like to have an ace in the hole. A special attack that they can throw out once to break through a physical wall and not care about the SpAtk penalty. When a special attacker uses it, it just weakens them for the rest of the battle.

(*wishes his Flygon could learn Overheat to break through Skarm and 'Zong*)

--------------------

[align=center]
Whitegleam Gym

+Quote Post

Cerulyth
post Apr 3 2008, 10:16 PM
Post #7

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

Bronzong with Levitate. Solid defenses, decent movepool, token Steel-type, and eliminates a Ground weakness. What do you think?
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Apr 3 2008, 10:18 PM
Post #8

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

Go for it.

ChroniclerC; don't forget Sceptile, Salamence, Typhlosion, etc. Fast Choice Specs users (or Scarf in Typhlosion's case, although there are some workable specs variants) is what I'm hinting at. They 2HKO even with the drop.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 02:57 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.