Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Sex Education
Nurse Simply
post Apr 13 2009, 03:33 PM
Post #21

Hi everyone!
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 8 587

Dream Team ♥

Sex is most likely a natural urge like almost everyone said up their,
Sex ed started for me in 3rd grade. (I know YOUNG) they started teaching the girls about periods.
We were all to grossed out to understand a thing.

I think they should start sex ed around the maturing age NOT to little kids.
My mom is all for sex. XD She doesnt mind talking about it and all my brothers are pervs.

My older brother even had sex at a young age. Mom always says use a condom pinch.gif

--------------------

Shinies

-------------------------------------

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Dmitri Shostakov...
post Apr 13 2009, 03:48 PM
Post #22

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 3 355

Active Squad

While I am pretty sure abstinence is the only foolproof way to prevent this kind of stuff, it seems that it is impossible to stop people from having sex. How tragic. Safe sex or a super-strict government limitation on sex seems to be the most logical answers. And since people get all freaked out about "OMG the government is too strong", I guess safe sex is the way to go.
+Quote Post

Kaname Madoka
post Apr 13 2009, 05:39 PM
Post #23

housewife extraordinaire!
Group Icon

Member No.: 7 542

Team HG

I think sex education is absolutely necessary, because abstinence is simply out of the question. Teenagers are having sex and will continue to have sex; if you pretend like that fact isn't there, you're only doing kids a great disservice. Take Sarah Palin's daughter for example: she thought it was wrong to teach her kids about sex, and now her daughter has a kid at 17 and is without a father/husband because he left her.

Unfortunately, there are many influences that will disrupt the effect of sex education on kids nowadays. You have movies like "Juno" glorifying teen pregnancy, and of course you have parents and kids who just don't give a shit, which is their own problem and another discussion altogether.

There are many teens who make smart decisions when it comes to sex, and many who don't. I was taught sex education in the fifth grade, and although I'm still happily a virgin, I know what decisions to make and what not to make when the time eventually comes.

I don't really see a solution to either problem at this point. As a teenager myself, I see and know how other kids my age act towards sex, and it really doesn't inspire any kind of faith in them at all. All I know is, stupid people need to stop breeding.

This post has been edited by Saya: Apr 13 2009, 05:40 PM
+Quote Post

nebz5
post Apr 13 2009, 05:54 PM
Post #24

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 10 265

my team

well said saya but with no stupid people who would do manual labor xD

--------------------
Pokemans
+Quote Post

Bakehebi
post Apr 14 2009, 12:36 PM
Post #25

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 6 211

Active Squad

I agree with all previous posters about how sex ed should be taught in school and at a fairly early age. 5th or 6th grade is good because that's when I noticed the relationship between girls and boys began to really change.

I want to add on that the consequence of pregnancy and the resulting child should be emphasized. Babies are not walks in the park. They cry, they need fed, they need to be changed, they need to be played with, etc. The potential parents should know that they will not be able to sleep well for the next 18+ years of their life. They will not be able to go to parties for a few years. They will not have fun time to themselves. All of it goes down the drain including your DREAMS. Want to go to college but you also want to have a baby? I laugh in your face. True some can do it but not many and most who do mooch off their own parents. Oh yeah that's a real show of responsibility there, Here mom could you raise my child while I go and achieve my dreams?
:|
Many young girls are under the impression that babies are there to love them. They don't realize that the baby won't love them until a year or so down the road. You have to invest a lot in that child before you get ANY sort of return.

I'm sorry that I've started ranting.
Anyways, I took a course on sex while in college which was brilliant. It was taught by a psychology professor and practicing psychologist which I think is wonderful. If you could get more people trained in psychology to teach sex ed. classes I think it'd be far better because they understand how people think and for the most part why they think it.

--------------------

I click back.
+Quote Post

Kaname Madoka
post Apr 14 2009, 05:14 PM
Post #26

housewife extraordinaire!
Group Icon

Member No.: 7 542

Team HG

QUOTE(Bakehebi @ Apr 14 2009, 01:36 PM) *
I want to add on that the consequence of pregnancy and the resulting child should be emphasized. Babies are not walks in the park. They cry, they need fed, they need to be changed, they need to be played with, etc. The potential parents should know that they will not be able to sleep well for the next 18+ years of their life. They will not be able to go to parties for a few years. They will not have fun time to themselves. All of it goes down the drain including your DREAMS. Want to go to college but you also want to have a baby? I laugh in your face. True some can do it but not many and most who do mooch off their own parents. Oh yeah that's a real show of responsibility there, Here mom could you raise my child while I go and achieve my dreams?
:|
Many young girls are under the impression that babies are there to love them. They don't realize that the baby won't love them until a year or so down the road. You have to invest a lot in that child before you get ANY sort of return.

THIS. Having a child requires the utmost amount of time, care, work, and MONEY. If you think you can just dump the kid on your parents, then you're a shitty mother/father and don't deserve to have that child. You think you can go out partying? Think again, unless you want to be a bad role model. Life is over as you know it once you have a baby, and the VAST majority of teenagers are not ready for such a huge responsibility. Hell, I know plenty of -adults- who aren't ready for that kind of responsibility.
+Quote Post

Emphyria
post May 18 2009, 04:03 PM
Post #27

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 14 883

The Go-Rock Squad

We had "staggered" Sex-Ed in our schools, I'm not sure what it comes up as in terms of 'grades' (we don't have that here) but we tended to experience sex-ed at...

1. 11 Years
2. 13 Years
3. 14-15 Years
4. 17-18 Years

Even by the time we hit 18 Years old it was still really clinical, clean and avoided the major issues. I learnt most of my sexual education from my parents who; unlike a lot of parents nowadays, didn't shy away from the subject. My mother gave me as much information as I requested and even went into further detail which I sometimes didn't need to know! Well; I assumed I didn't need to know it but it helped me make a lot of decisions in events that happened later and I'm greatful for that.

Sexual Education is FREQUENT here (and starts young) but it's not practical; it's as I said before "too clean".

They talk about it in a very practical and detatched way, they don't really hit the nail on the head so to speak. A lot of kids nowadays are ALREADY sexually active by 16 and teaching them about STDS/Child birth around about then is already too late, more to the point they're 'immune' to a lot of the lessons they're tutors give. More than once I've seen kids' eyes glaze over during talks.

If I were to change anything about the system here (and my god I would if I could) I would make it MUCH more graphic. The information would be more detailed, more in depth and it would show you EXACTLY what happened. Whether it be pregnancy or STDs they need to know exactly what it looks like, the specifics need to be shown so they realise and can understand the severity of the situation - frankly... There's too much censorship.

That being said with all the legislation over here regarding teacher/pupil relationships the whole thing can't rest wholely on the shoulders of the teachers. I would say that alongside improved education in schools, parents would need to throw away that embarassment and talk to their kids. If parents were more honest (like mine were) then kids would understand and may even have a greater sense of self confidence, the strength to say 'no' if they really don't feel ready etc.

I definitely agree with it being vitally important that kids be taught that a baby is NOT easy but there are always going to be kids who think they know better unfortunately. At the very least people should still TRY to teach them. =/

...So tragedies like severely underaged young mothers and that article can be completely avoided.

--------------------
"The Incubator"
If you click my eggs, I promise to return the favour~!

+Quote Post

Sarge
post May 19 2009, 11:11 AM
Post #28

is one hoopy frood
Group Icon

Member No.: 11 406

Some of my Faves

You can't stop teenagers from having sex any more than you can stop the continents from moving and the universe from expanding. Even kids who take abstinence pledges may still have oral or anal intercourse because they believe it allows them to have sex without losing their virginity. I heard one story from my biology teacher about a former student of her's - an intellegent young woman who did very well in her class, but who was sadly misinformed about sex and procreation. She believed that by putting a piece of tape over her belly button during sex she could not get pregnant. Her logic was this: a friend told her that the tape would prevent the baby from breathing, causing it to die.

Sex education is absoultely neccessary. srsfacts.gif

--------------------
.:: You click; I click. ::.

I'm a college student. Be patient!
==| Sarge uses your Poke'mon's favorite berry |==

yay quizzes (click to show)

+Quote Post

Animato
post May 20 2009, 10:20 PM
Post #29

Pie. Yum.
Group Icon

Member No.: 10 295

Active Squad

I've entered high school this year, all they did was teach it during P.E. for five classes. Sometimes, it wasn't even told because we picked the lessons we would learn. There were things like Health and Nutrition, Media and Its Influences, STDs and STIs, etc. I think it should be mandatory from an early age, like some suggested Grade 5 or 6.
I was only taught about was pregnancy stages. I wasn't told about how tough raising a child is, or STDs, STIs, HIV, or AIDS. In fact the only teacher of mine that openly discussed those was my grade 9 science teacher who was also my basketball coach. If we, his students or children he knew from sports, asked him a question like that then he would go into discussion. If I ask a teacher in my high school they shy away from the question.
For me it seems the internet will be my teacher, that and Law and Order Special Victims Unit. I'm not to keen on that idea, seeing as electronics will be teaching me more than my teachers.

This post has been edited by Animato: May 20 2009, 10:21 PM

--------------------

I do not return one clicks.

Claims (click to show)

SHINee Love (click to show)
+Quote Post

DireTylo
post May 22 2009, 10:30 PM
Post #30

Envy!
Group Icon

Member No.: 8 637

War's Bane

Holy crud. My school just had the "Boy and Girl Films"
That crap was scary.
Its hard to say if they should educate in school. I mean, the other genders could make fun of eachother and it would all end in chaos. And like what Simplyy said:
Sex ed started for me in 3rd grade. (I know YOUNG) they started teaching the girls about periods.
We were all to grossed out to understand a thing.

I think they should start sex ed around the maturing age NOT to little kids.

I totally agree.

This post has been edited by Suzuki: May 22 2009, 10:35 PM

--------------------
~Dire

I am a Symphonic 1st Violin Orch Dork! HATERS GONNA HATE

DireTylo on deviantART.

サザンドラ • ギラティナ • ラティオス • ボスゴドラ • メタグロス • ゲノセクト

Random Derp (click to show)
About Me (click to show)
Credits (click to show)
--Formerly known as Serene Cheshire, formerly Krona, formerly known as HydroForce, who was also known as the original Suzuki
I was the first overall poster for a REALLY long time. That is my legacy here on GTS >w<--

Grab Your Gun
Search and Destroy
+Quote Post

Zero Chaos
post May 25 2009, 08:00 AM
Post #31

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 7 376

Active Squad

It's definitely needed. My district doesn't offer sex education at all. I'm in 8th grade and well... I know two people that are pregnant because they didn't know the risk of pregnancy of sex; one is still in 7th grade.

When looking at those people, it makes me say that every district must have sex ed.

--------------------
Your click can and will make a difference

Click as many of mine as you wish, and I'll return full party clicks, even if it is only one egg. If you give me full party clicks, though, I will give you a cookie, and if I'm in a good mood, you'll get a muffin as a bonus point.
+Quote Post

musical
post May 25 2009, 08:10 AM
Post #32

moo
Group Icon

Member No.: 14 964

Diamond Roster

we had puberty in fourth and fifth grade. we had to watch these videos, and everyone was just laughing and like, "Eeeeeew, that's gross." by the time we were watching the video in fifth grade, i already had gotten my period (frick) and with everyone laughing, i was thinking, "shut up, it'll happen to you, too! gAH!"

even in fricken 6TH GRADE we learned about puberty and still separated the boys from the girls. we didn't have sex ed/puberty ed this year (7th grade). we get sex sex ed next year, and i bet everyone will still be, "lolz dis is teh nastiez."

sex ed is really needed.

--------------------

Future White Team

~*~Cochon~*~Scimmia~*~Moelleux~*~Pepo~*~Karta~*~Buibui~*~

SEARCHING FOR SHINY BARBOACH AND SHINY DROWZEE
ONE-CLICKERS: RAICHU IS YOUR TARGET
+Quote Post

Eric Smith
post May 26 2009, 05:34 PM
Post #33

<3's Musharna and Munna
Group Icon

Member No.: 12 937

Active Squad

I think we should have Sex Ed classes.
Teenagers should know what they are getting into before they, you know.

--------------------

You know you wanna poke it...

Credit Spoiler (click to show)
+Quote Post

Cassowary
post May 27 2009, 09:54 PM
Post #34

Skarmory Squadron Supreme
Group Icon

Member No.: 4 264

Skarmory Squadron

I had very good sex ed classes. Complete with "birth control pills - explained" and "how to put on a condom."

Abstinence only is stupid. It doesn't work

--------------------

+Quote Post

Eric Smith
post May 28 2009, 08:32 PM
Post #35

<3's Musharna and Munna
Group Icon

Member No.: 12 937

Active Squad

Don't tell a teenager to not do something. It doesn't work.
They will do in spite of you.

(do you know how hard it is to catch up on topics that people post back in every five seconds? *pant*)

--------------------

You know you wanna poke it...

Credit Spoiler (click to show)
+Quote Post

ninjacookie
post May 28 2009, 10:11 PM
Post #36

button smasher
Group Icon

Member No.: 25 351

splash attack!

Yes yes yes! We need sex ed! And not just the scare tactics kind either. My old school did nothing but show horrifying pictures of STDs and all the kids started doing it because they thought it was cool and risky. headache.gif Years later I heard rumors that when the school hosted a blood drive they couldn't take like %60 of the donors.

The school That I spent the last few years of high school in had a very good sex ed class. We could ask questions about anything even anonymously and they answered everything from how to put on a condom, gay sex, kinky sex, and even told us where to get free birth control and check-ups. No question was a wrong one and they gave us honest answers to help us make our own choices.

Luckily I had something even better. My parents taught me early on about sex. They didn't go into detail just basically, a guy sleeps with a girl naked and they use their parts to make a baby when they love each other. I was still pretty clueless but I didn't really care about it as it was treated as a normal thing. They had to tell me when I was young anyway, I was humping things at the age of 2 and if they didn't tell me about it someone might have taken advantage of me. Sure enough the day someone asked me to play doctor with no clothes when I was six I knew darn well what it was they really wanted to do so I walked away and told my parents before he could trick any of the other kids. I wish they had told me what masturbation was though. As I had no idea what "alone time only in your room" really was. And I went through a stage of self hate and confusion when I found out...

Anyway if you treat sex as a normal thing that should only be done safely and only if a mistake did happen you could care for the child, kids will take it more seriously than "the dirty thing that spreads disease and you shouldn't do until your an adult"

--------------------

~om nom nom~

+Quote Post

Bachuru
post May 28 2009, 10:14 PM
Post #37

Don't trip, chicken strip!
Group Icon

Member No.: 330

Active Squad

Sex ed is always good. Who else is gonna teach all these 8th graders that are getting pregnant with highschoolers why that's messed up?

--------------------

<Cube> "Optimus Prime held Bella in his arms, sparkling in the sunlight. Pulling her closer to his massive robotic lips, he whispered "Does my chrome chassis dazzle you?""

+Quote Post

Bakehebi
post May 31 2009, 01:14 AM
Post #38

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 6 211

Active Squad

I've been thinking about sex ed. and what should be taught.
I agree with all of you pretty much who've posted after my first one. But I do think it should be started with young kids. The kids think it's OMG EWWW because it's a taboo subject. But if they're exposed to it enough times then it's just something normal.

:\ Anyways, back onto what I was thinking about. Wouldn't it be good to include that sex shouldn't be a taboo subject? For example encourage the students to inform their potential children when/if they have them. Parents want to have the schools teach their kids about it instead of themselves but I think it should be both parties.

I intend to tell my little sister that she can ask me whatever she wants whenever she wants when I return home. She's about 9 so it's a time of false facts and urban legends. |D I can still remember some of the stories that popped up when I was her age and to tell the truth none of us really knew what we were talking about. I'd like her to be informed.

--------------------

I click back.
+Quote Post

Otawan
post May 31 2009, 01:22 AM
Post #39

Queen of the British Yakuza.
Group Icon

Member No.: 10 514

Diamond Party

I've had Sex Ed since grade three. Right now I'm in High School, grade nine, and everything there teaching us is common knowledge. (Except about some STIs.)

Sexual Education should start at a young age, and be in all schools. There's no point in dancing around the subject.

--------------------

I feed/warm back. <3
+Quote Post

Dazmi
post May 31 2009, 01:41 AM
Post #40

Veteran
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 2 482

Active Squad

For me, Sex Education started at 5th grade.

They did teach us that under age sex is wrong, but they never forced us to not do anything.
They taught us about Condoms, STD's, Sperm, and what-not.

I feel very strongly that Sex-Ed should be taught in school.
If you think that it's offensive, you should go screw yourself. It's a subject that actually teaches you something and it's worth sitting through. It's also a very easy class, so I enjoyed going through it.

This post has been edited by Dazmi: Sep 21 2010, 12:58 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:47 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.