Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Harry Potter: Anti-Religious, or just Magical?, Come here to debate!
iconoclasticGent...
post Apr 12 2011, 04:51 PM
Post #1

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 89 717

My Dream Team

Harry Potter is one of the biggest controversial topics in literature. There are many different opinions on the magical world, and how it relates to our world.

Some people believe that reading the Harry Potter books to children, or having your child read them may persuade them to turn to Witchcraft and the occult for more. Parents may not want their children to grow up anti-Christian.

They also attempt to make the point that Harry Potter is "anti-Christian" because it blurrs the line between good and evil. Yes, Voldemort is evil and dies in the end, but Harry has to break rules and laws to do it. This may lead children to do uncertain things to get what they want and what they believe to be defeating evil. Apparently, the Harry Potter books support the religion of Wiccans, because there is magic.

Other groups of people argue that Harry Potter cannot be anti-Christian because there is no faith in the stories. Hogwarts students do celebrate Christmas, Holloween and Easter, but nowhere in the books is Christ mentioned. Also, other stories have used such magic to create their fantasy worlds, such as J.R.R. Tolkien in the Lord of the Rings, but his books are not slandered as such. The magic in Harry Potter is more of a fantasy-world than Wiccan.

So, where do you stand? I'm going to keep the discussion open.

Personally, I'm one of the biggest Harry Potter fans that you'll even talk to. In my mind, J.K Rowling can write no wrong(except for when she killed Fred...). But hey, I'm biased.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Iconox
post Apr 12 2011, 05:06 PM
Post #2

Romantic Misanthropist
Group Icon

Member No.: 34 260

Legend League

I'm a Christian and I love Harry Potter (I've actually been a Harry Potter fan longer than I've been a Christian xD). Anyways, I can see where people would argue that it contains occult influences, but I can't really see it causing kids to turn to the occult (any more than watching anime will convert someone to shinto-buddhism). So I mean, I guess it just comes down to what parents are comfortable having their kids watch/read.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Apr 12 2011, 05:52 PM
Post #3

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

I personally think that certain people just want to whore attention so they go against what's popular to do so. It's stupid but they do get the attention they want.

--------------------
+Quote Post

HellLord2000
post Apr 12 2011, 05:56 PM
Post #4

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 137 114

Active Squad

This is new O.O, this is a big load of b.......t,the church its just afraid that theyr gone lose more ppl to the ocult and so on.I my self dont belive in magic but that dies not mean i have to against every idiot that belives in it

--------------------

Full Party Clicker
+Quote Post

Big Papi
post Apr 12 2011, 07:16 PM
Post #5

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 134 427

Active Squad

This is silly. It's like reading To Kill A Mockingbird and thinking your child will be a rapist.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Skins T
post Apr 13 2011, 06:44 AM
Post #6

Feel the Fire, Break your Vision
Group Icon

Member No.: 68 079

Favourite Pokemon

All a bunch of hogwash. There are more religious elements in Toaru Majutsu no Index than Harry Potter.

It's magic and mythology. People need to stop reading into things that don't exist.

--------------------

Click above for party~
+Quote Post

daniff
post Apr 15 2011, 03:51 AM
Post #7

not really a dog
Group Icon

Member No.: 17 244

Active Squad

argggh god only in a America noes.gif
you hear loads of stuff like pokemon is the work of satan, harry potter is anti christian, burn the koraan!!!!

that never happens in England... O_O

(its prolly because the English and Irish left for America around the time when our monarchs kept changing the country's religion while everyone here was being forced from protestant to catholic and and back and fourth of face death, so they weren't really bothered in their views and more bothered in their lives while the americans set up towns and stuff with their own beliefs..... *phew*)

--------------------
plz click my little girls

and yes the pink one is shiny grin.gif crazy.gif
and yes i did just realise it was shiny
and no i haven't only just got it
+Quote Post

Knight of Cydoni...
post Apr 15 2011, 06:55 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 131 433

Gen 5, please? :3

I just hate people who say that Harry Potter is brainwashing every kid who reads it. I've read all of the books and am a really big fan of it, and I've never seen anything, well, bad... or anti-Christian.

Well, at least Harry Potter didn't say that stalking was romantic...

--------------------

+Quote Post

roygbiv
post Apr 15 2011, 09:27 PM
Post #9

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 125 915

hg team

im a religous person but i like harry potter there is nothing wrong with it

--------------------
pokemon white friend code 3096 0916 2525
+Quote Post

Izo
post Apr 16 2011, 01:56 PM
Post #10

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 62 228

Active Squad

It's not like the books are trying to be anti-religious. They're just set in a world of magic and fantasy or whatever and they aren't 'bad' or 'wrong.' In my opinion, anyway... xD
+Quote Post

nokrow889
post Apr 18 2011, 05:36 PM
Post #11

what would you do for a Klondike bar?
Group Icon

Member No.: 24 628

Pokemon Pearl

see if your afraid your children will turn around and try to be a witch wizard break rules and so fourth dont let your kids read it i dont see it as a children's book series at all there is too much older humor and alot of depressing things like sirus's death in the 5th book and well the WHOLE 7TH BOOK

--------------------

Vdex
(me and my brother)

Group Banners (click to show)

+Quote Post

Wingcap
post Apr 27 2011, 05:30 PM
Post #12

The Champion of Sinnoh~
Group Icon

Member No.: 95 714

My Favourites~

Say what? What an odd idea, I personally have never heard anyone mention this sort of theory before now, nor did the thought cross my mind before now. Interesting, nevertheless. These are fictional books, just because they contain magic and good writing doesn't make them anti-religious. I am against the theory of God personally, but not because of these books.
You'd have to be VERY imaginative, or mature to get that from the books, and then you wouldn't go off fighting "evil", like your brother/sister/etc. The worst that could happen is that you'd wave a stick around, roaring "magic spells" at people.

This post has been edited by Wingcap: Apr 27 2011, 05:30 PM

--------------------

[Me][My Bro]
(click to show)

Nintendo 3DS FC: 3024-6524-0103|NNID: Wingcap|Steam: Wingcapx

pretty much everything credit Cycloneblaze, except the egg
+Quote Post

Klowii is Sexy
post Apr 28 2011, 02:07 PM
Post #13

She's sexy and I know it~
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 30 189

Add fifth gen, please

I feel that Harry Potter is just a book series and not a cult-starter shit. Whoever started that rumor is going to warm their fucking toes when they die. )<

--------------------
[align=right]2:31 PM 08/10/07 - 11:19 PM 03/17/2012 remember~[/align]
[align=right]
[/align]
+Quote Post

ravezombie
post Apr 29 2011, 11:11 AM
Post #14

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 129 998

Active Squad

I hear this debate all the time throughout classes and religion based studies. It's beating a dead horse and no one necessarily cares anymore until the next big fantasy movie comes up (Remember the protests for The Golden Compass/Northern Lights and all of Philip Pullman novels and movies based on his work? I remember those protests.).

It all is up for personal interpretation; if your religion says so and you're dedicated to your religion and believe it'll cause witchcraft, then hot-damn it'll cause people to turn to witchcraft. If not, then oh well you're safe and continue reading as you desire. It's not that one way is wrong nor is one way right.

You really have to look at this from a perspective of how influential the books can be on people with obsessive personalities rather than religion (even though that's the topic, but one thing relates to another). Not from a witchcraft standpoint, but more from a persons obsession over something. Memorabilia is one thing, dressing up is another, but killing yourself over the fact that someone released a fake script of the final book where the entire cast dies is another (yes, this is true. It happened. Look it up, I'm not linking it here because of underage people out and about on the boards.).

--------------------
~*~*~ My DeviantArt Page: DizzyClockwork ~*~*~
Commissions: Closed
Requests: Sorry, not taking requests right now.
Gifts: When I have the time.

+Quote Post

Dazmi
post Apr 30 2011, 12:28 PM
Post #15

Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 482

Active Squad

Regardless of what it is or isn't, it's completely harmless. There is no problem here.

This post has been edited by Dazmi: Apr 30 2011, 12:29 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

RoyalDemon
post May 15 2011, 11:28 AM
Post #16

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 138 010

Active Squad

Never heard something like that.It's only a fantasy story, and nothing anti-christian.

--------------------
Guys, don't worry. My mom bought Google! :)
My dA! Go there for epic lameness!

+Quote Post

gretchen8642
post May 17 2011, 01:50 PM
Post #17

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 14 554

Best team ever.

Anyone afraid of bad morals and lessons in Harry Potter affecting their kids obviously doesn't trust their children very much. In real life there is rarely "good" or "evil". Every story has two sides, and there's often a gray area of morality within. Although really Harry Potter has villains with names like "Malfoy" and "Lucious" which basically scream "I'm evil oh.gif"

--------------------

i always click back! wailord.gif

+Quote Post

Womit
post May 28 2011, 08:39 AM
Post #18

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 93 305

Active Squad

I'm a christian and I abosolutely ADORE the Harry Potter books and see no fault in them whatsoever. I was brought up with them and dont understand how they can have any affect on peoples spirituality or lack of. The reason christ is never mentioned is probably not to disrcriminate or just because JK Rowling didnt think of putting it in there. There are so many books in the world and I bet that over half dont have any religion in them whatsoever. If it wasnt so successful, people wouldnt be asking about it. It's just jealousy or a need for them to blame someone else for something that went wrong.

--------------------

Corsola - Rawst berry please. Exploration.
+Quote Post

Thale
post May 28 2011, 02:02 PM
Post #19

"Things are serious. A man in a dress is dead."
Group Icon

Member No.: 77 244

Wakedawn

If these people actually read the series, they would know that Harry Potter's main theme is love (Lily's love for Harry, Snape's love for Lily, the trio's love for each other, Harry's love for the Wizarding World, etc.) and how it can overcome even the most potent forces of evil.

That doesn't sound very satanic to me. Just saying.

--------------------
-
And if he can't drive
With a broken back
At least he can polish the fenders
-

My Geass commands you to follow my Harry Pincers to my party.

The Shiny Corps (click to show)

Groups (click to show)
+Quote Post

John Richard
post May 30 2011, 05:05 AM
Post #20

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 142 086

Active Squad

I don't think that it leads readers to wrong path...
+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 02:41 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.