Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Harry Potter: Anti-Religious, or just Magical?, Come here to debate!
Pikalover10
post Jul 1 2011, 01:41 PM
Post #21

Pikalover10 (Gone June 13-26)
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9 894

PANE Party

I was a harry potter fan since the moment the books came out and my mom bought the first one, and read it to me. I was constantly found outside waving a stick around and shouting 'Avada Kedavra! Take that Voldemort!' Haha, I love it. And I used to be a christian then, though I no longer am now. But not because of Harry Potter.

It's not anti-christ. Exactly as you stated other books along the same lines as magic have been made, and they aren't slandered. Personally I believe it's all because of an idiotic dickwad that hates J.K. Rowling for no reason >.>

But yeah, it's not anti-christ. Can't be anti-christ. And I've seen interviews where J.K. Rowling SAYS that it's not meant to be anti-christ. So, there ya go.

--------------------
"Those with the biggest smiles carry the deepest scars."

Other Siggy Stuff (click to show)
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Surt
post Jul 14 2011, 03:05 PM
Post #22

I reject your reality, it lacks death rays!
Group Icon

Member No.: 144 397

Sky and Sea

Ok time for a long winded explanation. People love to hate things they dont understand and refuse to ever understand it. It's been around since the dawn of time and got famous around the time dungeons and dragons came out (it was the exact same argument, "dungeons and dragons supports satanism!" and the like) and now its Harry Potter's turn to get hit with the "presumption stick." On the bright side, it probably wont end up like many of the other things to be beaten with the presumption stick like pentagrams( originally used by christianity to ward off demons) and the inverted cross (the symbol of Saint Peter, when he was crucified he asked to be crucified upside-down. Hell its on the pope's chair) or basically 90% of non-christianity based religions (the majority of which were wiped out and branded as Satanism).
Wow that was a long way for me to say I dont think Harry Potter is anti-christian

--------------------
I am... (click to show)
+Quote Post

Pokii
post Jul 20 2011, 01:37 AM
Post #23

Adorable Demonic Pinecone
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 2 319

ORAS Team

Religion is never even brought up in the series at all, other than that they celebrate at least the festive aspect of Christmas.

Harry Potter is about as anti-religious as The Chronicles of Narnia. </pun>

--------------------
| | | | |

Make me an avatar!

Spoiler (click to showhide)
+Quote Post

Reyo
post Jul 20 2011, 11:15 PM
Post #24

I'm in space...space...spacespace
Group Icon

Member No.: 30 281

space team

A lot of what I find wholesome, entertaining, and downright "fun" has been included in the "SATAN! MUST KILL NAO!" phenomenon. Prince of Persia...God of War...Pokemon...Resident Evil...the Military (seriously? crotchety old fart...)...evolution...Avatar (the blue alien people)...the census...half of the old shows on Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network TO INCLUDE...Toonami...

Point is...really? Are we really running out of shit to complain about that we've turned on the hobbies and cherished activities of those around us (okay maybe not the census...*shiver*)? I mean shit, lord knows half of the parents in this country (especially my state with it's appalling status (or lack thereof) in education) should be happy if their kid reads anything bigger than a "Hunk Teen" magazine. And what happens when they latch their interest in a book that's actually worth it's grit in literature?

facepalm.gif

Yeah, one of my teachers told me I couldn't read the third book of Harry Potter. I promptly brought her attention to someone who was trying to pass off a jokebook as his "book of the week" read.

QUOTE(Surt @ Jul 14 2011, 03:05 PM) *
Ok time for a long winded explanation. People love to hate things they dont understand and refuse to ever understand it. It's been around since the dawn of time and got famous around the time dungeons and dragons came out (it was the exact same argument, "dungeons and dragons supports satanism!" and the like) and now its Harry Potter's turn to get hit with the "presumption stick." On the bright side, it probably wont end up like many of the other things to be beaten with the presumption stick like pentagrams( originally used by christianity to ward off demons) and the inverted cross (the symbol of Saint Peter, when he was crucified he asked to be crucified upside-down. Hell its on the pope's chair) or basically 90% of non-christianity based religions (the majority of which were wiped out and branded as Satanism).
Wow that was a long way for me to say I dont think Harry Potter is anti-christian

I'm noticing a distinct lack of a certain Vampire series to receive this attention... dry.gif

--------------------
space...spacespace...wanna go to space...I'm in space...are we in space...I wanna into space, are you space? Uh oh, space police, stay cool. Space..space..space space..ba ba, ba, ba, bababa, ba, ba space. Dad, are you space? Yes, now we can be a family again. Space space...need...space...need a rocket...wanna buy a rocket? It's for space...need one...buy one from space store...space store...space...space...space supplies...space ship...space rocket...rocket..space...soup...space soup...from space cafe...space waiter there's a space fly in my space soup...spacespace....must...

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-
+Quote Post

Last Angel the K...
post Aug 18 2011, 03:11 PM
Post #25

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 140 639

My Party

Oh goodness... pinch.gif
This very reason is why I read them so late. According the the religious magazine Signs of the Times, a rise in witchcraft has been linked to Harry. Well, I read the books, and have to disagree with this. It's just silly. So, yeah, it's a bit silly.

and Harry Related to cults... KINDA see you there, but... for the most part... o__0

--------------------

I'm sorry in advance if I don't make sense sometimes, or ramble, it's a bad habit of mine, and I have mild Autism... sorry! And thank you for being understanding! happy.gif
"Why are you walking away?
Was it something I did?
Did I make a mistake cause
I'm trying to deal with the pain
I don't understand this, is this how it is?
I will try to understand
"
-Sleeping with Sirens, A Trophy Father's Trophy Son
+Quote Post

roygbiv
post Aug 27 2011, 03:17 PM
Post #26

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 125 915

hg team

QUOTE(Surt @ Jul 14 2011, 03:05 PM) *

the exact thing hapened to the smurfs :/

--------------------
pokemon white friend code 3096 0916 2525
+Quote Post

Raziel
post Sep 1 2011, 04:51 AM
Post #27

Finally, Ava-change!
Group Icon

Member No.: 18 798

... Wow. I've never considered that.

Anyway, I started 'reading' those books when I couldn't even read, so someone had to read them to me. And I'll admit I wasn't christian back then, but I was a kid - and kids are the easiest to influence, no?

So how come I never ever considered magic to be real? It was always ony fiction to me, althouh awesome fiction - and me and my friends did play HP back then with lego or wooden sticks and stuff. It was fun, kicking Gilderoy Lockhard out of Hogwarts because we didn't like him and stuff.

So eh, I see why people might suspect that. After all it is magical, but on the other side it is never mentioned the wizards and witched of the HP world pray to some god for their magic powers. Hey, they're even forbidden to use it on muggles (us.)!

I think it's pretty much nonsense to connect those two things, but people will go on I guess...
+Quote Post

Valdas Vis
post Sep 28 2011, 04:10 AM
Post #28

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 116 836

I liek Mudkip =3

I think its silly to believe that letting your child read a fictional book, about things that never really happened could make a child be Anti-Religious. To be honest, I believe if someone can't understand that it isn't anti-relig then they just shouldn't read it. With my experience with the books I haven't seen a single sentence in the book that could suggest for the reader to become anti-religious or that even the author itself is anti-religious. J.K. Rowling is christian herself, yet her own church is saying her books are anti-religious just sounds silly. xD

Have you also noticed that in the movies/books they do celebrate Christmas and Easter frequently, which are Christian celebrations. =P In my opinion its just people looking for attention from the media again. =x
+Quote Post

fudgeygirl88
post Oct 15 2011, 08:49 PM
Post #29

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 141 805

Active Squad

Okay people who say Harry potter books are anti-christian are completely dumb. it is fantasy people kids want to believe that are in another universe. (or at least in England). Sure they celebrate Christmas but come on. They have no place were it says anything about any religion. BRITISH PEOPLE MAKE ME LAUGH, DO NOT BE HATING!!!!! I love all the characters (not voldemort). Whoever came up with that stupid rumor YOU ARE WRONGE! pissed.gif
+Quote Post

Lugia182
post Nov 8 2011, 03:39 PM
Post #30

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 127 341

Favourites

I've honestly never heard the "anti-Christian" thing about Harry Potter before! But then again, I don't believe in "assigning" a religion to children - I think they should find it for themselves - so yeah. I don't see the problem with it possibly teaching children to get into witchcraft. Although I really can't see that happening... it's a magical story aimed at children. It'll expand their imagination and I'm sure there's a few life lessons in there somewhere. So yeah. I see no bad in Harry Potter at all.
+Quote Post

Dragonflames1994
post Nov 12 2011, 06:09 PM
Post #31

Dragonflame1994 is a fake
Group Icon

Member No.: 119 057

Interrupting Rayquaza

There are still people out there dumb enough to believe in witchcraft? dumblook.gif

Harry Potter is nothing but an great book series. Some people just really want attention. facepalm.gif

--------------------
Click below for my party.

My legit shiny female Haxorus is awesome.
Ask me something on formspring.

+Quote Post

IndigoRain
post Nov 15 2011, 04:05 AM
Post #32

meh.
Group Icon

Member No.: 117 844

Ultima

It's a book for pete's sake.
It deals with fantasy. Magic. It's there so that the reader can have something to do on a rainy day or for those who are imaginative.
I'm pretty sure that kids would know a difference with a book and real life. And if they don't, then they shouldn't be reading Harry Potter in the first place because the vocab would be a tad bit too difficult if you know what I mean.

Getting a bit off track here, but the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series is also one of those books that I believe are talking about stuff that some kids aren't ready for.
For example, The Ugly Truth (the purple book of the series), talks about "growing up", and quite frankly, I see many kids younger than eight reading those books and giggling.
Don't get me wrong, Diary of a Wimpy Kid is very entertaining to read, but the author could have wrote about something more kid-friendly, ya know?

--------------------

my party. needs clicks!

vdex! you know you wanna look >:D

-Friendship is like peeing in your pants. Everybody can see it, but only you can feel the warm feeling that it brings happy.gif
-friends are like bras. They support you, make you look great, and are close you your heart <3
-I didn't lose my mind...it's at home sitting right next to my common sense.

R etards
A ttempting
P oetry

-Multi-tasking=screwing several things up at once.
-Come to the dark side. We have cookies >:)
-Knock hard. Life is deaf.

10 Ways to annoy people in an elevator:
1) Announce in a demonic voice: “I must find a more suitable host body.”
2) Ask, “did you hear that cable snapping sound?”
3) Drop a pen and wait until someone reaches to help pick it up, then scream, “That’s mine!”
4) Hold the elevator door open and say you’re waiting for your friend. After a while, let the doors close and say, “Hi John, how’s your day been?”
5) Hum the theme to Jeopardy.
6) Leave a box in a corner, and when someone gets on, ask if they hear something ticking.
7) Make explosion noises when anyone presses a button.
8) Say, while holding a paper with OUT OF ORDER written on it, “I wonder why this was glued on the door when I came in.”
9) Scribble furiously on a notepad while looking at each passenger. When they try to look, hide the pad.
10) When there’s only one other person on the elevator, tap them on the shoulder and pretend it wasn’t you.
+Quote Post

megaarrow25
post Nov 23 2011, 12:56 AM
Post #33

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 56 000

My Favorites

ITS MAGIC HARRY!

--------------------
Me Umbreon, Tyranitar, Meganium, Houndoom, Blastoise, and I will rule the pokemon world.

what pokemon I am (click to show)
My team (click to show)

Blaze's PokePet

Moonlight the level 43 Umbreon!

+Quote Post

Maau
post Nov 27 2011, 02:25 PM
Post #34

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 150 852

Active Squad

All in all, it's a childrens fantasy novel.It's about a magical little boy, not a satanist.

Her books have nothing to do with Satanism, the Occult or anything 'evil'.

It's just overbearing parents and ultra-religious people who say these things, to either promote their religion or to disagree with society.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Digidude
post Nov 28 2011, 02:20 AM
Post #35

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 74 984

Favourites

I wouldn't mind going to a book burning party, joking of course.

But regardless Harry Potter isn't anti religious in the slightest, whoever thinks so needs to actually read the books and come to the realization on their own not letting outside forces make their decisions for them.

This post has been edited by Dark Heart: Nov 28 2011, 02:20 AM

--------------------
Click my signature and please click my Pokemon.
+Quote Post

BarkingChaos
post Nov 28 2011, 12:53 PM
Post #36

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 112 100

Sandshrew Army

Let's all bash and point fingers at something we never read! YAAAAAAAAY! facepalm.gif

If these yahoos actually read the book, they would realize that if magic is used out of line, there are severe consequences and the main characters are trying to defeat evil. In fact, you could turn it around and say Voldemort is Satan, and magic is an allegory for prayer and God trying to defeat Satan.

But no, it all boils down to MAGIC IS BAD! MAGIC=SATANIST! Christianity is no more than an offshoot of pagan beliefs. Real magic is basically healing and protection. Since when is healing and protection evil?
+Quote Post

Stratospheric Co...
post Dec 21 2011, 02:07 AM
Post #37

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Group: Restricted
Member No.: 107 360

Active Squad

Honestly. It's a book about magic, so that slanders it as anti-religion? People these days are fucking idiots.
+Quote Post

Mangoheart
post Dec 21 2011, 06:33 AM
Post #38

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 22 446

~my favs~

I think Harry Potter is purely a result of a very creative imagination. It shouldn't have anything to do with Christianity.
If these books lead someone to believe that witchcraft is real etc, that person was somehow messed up to begin with.
Normal kids aren't stupid enough to believe this is actually real.
I hate people who want to see satanism/bad things everywhere. Just take it as a fantasy, enjoy it and stop worrying about every little thing. For me fantasy is so relaxing because it's got nothing to do with reality. I can just let my imagination run wild and forget about real life and problems.
+Quote Post

Nerd Alert
post Dec 21 2011, 11:42 AM
Post #39

wakka wakka wakka
Group Icon

Member No.: 20 348

Active Squad

People that think Harry Potter leads to the occult are just trying to point fingers. And if people claim, "Oh, Harry Potter led me to the occult," then even if the books didn't exist, they would probably find a way onto that path in due time.

--------------------

pst. click it. you know you want to.
+Quote Post

Lolli
post Dec 22 2011, 01:56 AM
Post #40

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 140 118

Active Squad

I remember when all of this went around. My grandma ate this up like a goat to paper. I got one of the books for Christmas and she freaked out. I never actually read the books, though I have been meaning to. As far as I'm concerned they are just like any other book I've read about magic and different worlds that have their own gods and various religions within them.

I still fail to see how Harry Potter was being attacked for being Anti-Religious and we have a book out about a Vampire and a mortal girl having some weird Vampire/Human Hybrid baby. Why isn't that being bashed? (Besides the usual haters of the book I mean.) Or did I miss the bashing because I don't watch the news in the morning? o_o

I'm so behind on current events!
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:59 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.