Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
speling erors on tha intrn3t, Do they bother you?
patrickisapanda
post Jul 12 2011, 12:01 AM
Post #1

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 145 367

Active Squad

I personally know that spelling errors bother me. Like when I see words like: luv, cuz, ect.
I just don't really understand why it's that hard for someone to spell out because or love...
I don't really mind text talk "words" like: idk, lol, wth, ect.

What are you thoughts?

--------------------
Sometimes I use tumblr but...

Me how how
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Carefactorzero
post Jul 12 2011, 01:27 AM
Post #2

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 19 837

Active Squad

What bothers me most:

Your = your and you're.
u > you.
c > see.
People who lack punctuation (full stops, commas, ETC. I don't care if they don't use semi-colons).
People Who Capitalize Every Fucking Word.
1337speak, sTiCkEyCaPs, ETC.
Excessive smilies, ? and ! marks, ETC.

What hardly bothers me:

i > I
Lack of apostrophes in some words
Deliberate word censoring

This post has been edited by Matt Cat: Nov 23 2011, 02:37 PM
+Quote Post

patrickisapanda
post Jul 12 2011, 06:15 PM
Post #3

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 145 367

Active Squad

Ahh! "you're and your" are definitely big ones for me too...

--------------------
Sometimes I use tumblr but...

Me how how
+Quote Post

ShrapnelStars
post Jul 12 2011, 06:57 PM
Post #4

Well, I wish I'd wished you well
Group Icon

Member No.: 4 143

Let Us In

Small errors here and there don't really bother me, especially since everyone on the internet doesn't have English as their first language. However, chatspeak (outside of abbreviations) and refusal to use the period are very annoying. I understand why it gets used on the phone, sort of. People are trying to send short messages and confirmations to each other because they may be pressed for time. (Talking is faster, IMO, but that's neither here nor there right now.) If you don't have time to put effort into your responses on a forum (or any other site where messages are longer than a sentence), then forums are not for you. I'm not going to spend time and effort trying to decipher what you're trying to say if you didn't put time and effort into saying it. I used to be on a writing forum where people tried to use chatspeak and poor grammar. It resulted in them getting warned.

This relatively new issue with people not ending their sentences is really frustrating. I can't tell what they're trying to say because an entire paragraph that may have several sentences and separate thoughts littered throughout it ends up being one massive run-on mess. It's tiring and confusing to read, so I end up skipping posts like that.

Some of the cases of word confusion have really been baffling to me. How does one confuse now and know? Yes, I have seen sentences saying "I'm going to go get some food know. brb." Than and then get a bit more slack from me, but not much. Remember: "Greater/Better than..." and "Until then".

Constant basic grammar and spelling errors are the ones that get me annoyed because it shows that the person just doesn't care. We're on the internet. If you're uncertain about the spelling of a word or where to end a sentence, dictionary.com and other resources are right around the corner. If an advanced grammar or spelling error comes up, I always leave it alone unless it changes the meaning of what they might be trying to say. At that point, I'll respectfully ask the person to clarify what they meant.

EDIT: Oh, the irony.

This post has been edited by Blak99Psy: Jul 12 2011, 07:00 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Crestfallen
post Jul 21 2011, 08:26 AM
Post #5

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 139 207

Active Squad

Bad grammar in general annoys me.
Their, they're and there.
You're and your.
Were and we're.
AnD PeOpLe WhO TyPe lIkE tHiS

pinch.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

Pokii
post Jul 21 2011, 10:51 AM
Post #6

Adorable Demonic Pinecone
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 2 319

ORAS Team

you know what i really hate the most is when people clearly dont know how to spell or use grammar but what bothers me even more is when they dont even know what punctuation is you know they just run three or four long sentences all into one and expect you to read it all as one gigantically long single thought its like theyre some twelve year old kid on crack just going on and on without ever taking a break and by the end of it youve gone mad because you tried to read the entire thing all in one go dont you hate that i know i do also they should capitalize the right things like i

--------------------
| | | | |

Make me an avatar!

Spoiler (click to showhide)
+Quote Post

LucarioandDialga
post Jul 26 2011, 07:40 PM
Post #7

I'm not on often...
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 19 749

My favorite Pokemon

it really bugs me when people CaPiTaLiZe EvErY oThEr WoRd. It's annoying and when people use numbers. oh and when ppl do dis 4 evry ting. It's annoying. I know I have a lot more that bug me but none are coming to mind

--------------------
+Quote Post

Rikkamira
post Jul 27 2011, 06:06 PM
Post #8

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 13 691

Doomsday

It doesn't really bother me when people have small mistakes, especially when English isn't their native language, but i h8 ppls dat tock Like thiss >.>
I don't really care when people text on a phone like that, but when you have a perfectly good keyboard, please don't make yourself look completely stupid! I can never take anyone seriously when they speak in text talk.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+Quote Post

AdmiralPerry
post Jul 27 2011, 06:34 PM
Post #9

Assassin by Association
Group Icon

Member No.: 97 925

My Guards

I'm not gonna lie, I'm a bit of a grammar/spelling Nazi (if I may use that term here). It bugs me to no end to see people misuse words like 'their, there, and they're' and 'where' and 'were,' among other things. However, I usually never (if ever) say anything because I do understand that not everyone on the Internet speaks English as a first language. Personally, I can't use chat speak or text talk, even when it's "necessary." I just can't do shorthand, period. Well, except for things like LOL, TTYL, and so on. I've even mentally corrected some people's Italian, of which I know very little (except maybe how to curse, and some other select words). I suppose my several years of Spanish classes help with that; the two languages seem to follow most of the same rules.

I've learned to not let it get under my skin as much, but when I start seeing it repeatedly (and in the same place) it becomes difficult to ignore.

--------------------
Got no place to run, got no place to hide...

Many thanks to the awesome Doctor Octopus for this overworld march!

Click for parties! (click to show)

My Groups (click to show)
+Quote Post

Black Ice
post Jul 30 2011, 11:25 PM
Post #10

A New Era
Group Icon

Member No.: 28

Active Squad

Homophonic errors bother me. This is all elementary school material.

But this should not be in debates. Not serious enough.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Ryuko
post Jul 30 2011, 11:50 PM
Post #11

Scarlet
Group Icon

Member No.: 83 356

Heaven's Wheel

I CANNOT take words that are spelled incorrectly. I just can't understand the necessary to not an eentire word. Oh, and I love the lame excuse of "It saves time." What? the few seconds it actually takes to type a word properly? Congratulations! What are you going to do with this 5 seconds?!
Oh! and typing 'alot' instead of a lot is so painful to see.

The only time I would ever consider talking like that is to mock.

This post has been edited by Andralla: Jul 30 2011, 11:52 PM

--------------------

"Violence, Lust and Betrayal"
And so is the Golden City blackened with each step you take in my Hall. Marvel at perfection, for it is fleeting.
You have brought Sin to Heaven and doom upon all the world.
-Threnodies 8:13

signature image too large; removed

~ Raven
+Quote Post

Stratospheric Co...
post Jul 31 2011, 01:38 PM
Post #12

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Group: Restricted
Member No.: 107 360

Active Squad

Everything like that bothers me. Especially not using commas/punctuation. Or capital letters. Unless it's completely useful. Like when you have three characters left on twitter and can't type happened.
+Quote Post

Yamper
post Jul 31 2011, 03:14 PM
Post #13

Axew and Volcarona enthusiast
Group Icon

Member No.: 61 211

Invisible Kyurem

What really pisses me off is when people spell basic words wrong. Yeah, if English isn't your primary language, fair enough. But when it's your primary language, it doesn't hurt anyone to put the correct there/they're/their in.

So fucking what if you call me a grammar Nazi. It's just so frustrating that people become so lazy and illiterate, I don't even know why I bother pointing it out half the time.

The whole "cuz, wat" etc is fine, along with idk, wtf and all that - seeing as I use those myself :P Either when I'm joking or imitating something or just taking the piss. Who knows.

Either way, it's mainly the different word variations that people get wrong that piss me off. It's basic education, stop being so damn lazy.

--------------------

Don't forget to love yourself.
Add me for daily clicks: 873/1000

[align=center]---

Community Thread Shiny List!

---[/align]
[align=right]Breeding Incentives: Mission Cards
[/align]
+Quote Post

Zombie Zekrom
post Jul 31 2011, 08:21 PM
Post #14

Got brains? σɰσ
Group Icon

Member No.: 136 881

Randoms <3

If it's something small like accidentally misspelling something because you hit the wrong key and didn't notice it until it was too late, English isn't said person's first language, or they don't have enough room to type everything in, I can see it. Outside of that, it drives me a little crazy. blink.gif If I remember correctly, some offices/colleges/universities/wherever else people work/study can dig up stuff about you on the internet (some more than others, depending on how serious of a job/college/university it is; i.e.: government vs. a job as a janitor somewhere, Harvard vs. some community college, etc.), and if they can deny you your application to work/study at said place. Granted, I don't know if spelling/grammar has any more to do with it than photos and other things you're associated with on the internet, but I would think it's a factor. unsure.gif It helps to look like you can write in English well whether it's a thread like this or your thesis essay to graduate with a good degree, right? hmm.gif

*arms self with my book for my English class next semester to keep off the crazy "i dizargie i'm gunna typ3 l1k3 dis 4ever on teh forumz cuz it's the internet kthx" people* Although if there's any English-is-their-first-language speakers that need it in a 300-level college/university course and they don't have a legitimate excuse why they can't write/type correctly (like they have a disability or something), then I have serious worries about them. irritated.gif I can see if they need it to make sure they're making/editing their bibliography, but outside of that, no. Just... no.

--------------------

Various Things (click to show)
+Quote Post

Vera
post Aug 1 2011, 02:50 AM
Post #15

Resident Scissor Freak
Group Icon

Member No.: 87 244

Rune Team

I don't really mind spelling errors, on the whole...I can't help but notice them whenever they show up, but I only really get bothered if I read something so totally filled with errors it's impossible to miss. I don't think it's funny, though some people seem to think otherwise.

What's great is that I spend most of my time on literary/roleplaying/informational websites, so spelling errors are thankfully few.

--------------------

Don't turn off the lights.
+Quote Post

Seraphimon912
post Aug 1 2011, 09:27 PM
Post #16

Currently addicted to: Plants VS Zombies
Group Icon

Member No.: 18 662

Active Squad

It's okay if someone makes a small spelling error, but I can't stand people who doesn't use commas and periods to separate their sentences...

I know that most people here don't have English as their first language, but everyone should try their best to type properly...

--------------------
+Quote Post

Acacia21
post Aug 2 2011, 03:03 PM
Post #17

Eevee is cuh-yute
Group Icon

Member No.: 104 927

Phi Phi

Yeah, they usually do bother me. Like, it's not that hard to spell a full word like love for example. I don't mind things like idk, brb, g2g, etc. I also hate when people don't use the proper your/you're or their/they're/there because it sometimes confuses me. I prefer people to use the proper word. Spelling errors on the internet bother me.

--------------------
My party!

Shinies (click to show)

Azurill sprite made by AkuseruChan

+Quote Post

Hatake Kakashi
post Aug 3 2011, 11:57 AM
Post #18

I love Kakashi!
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 95 328

Active Squad

YES. And grammatical errors too. I just wanna falcon punch them.

--------------------
+Quote Post

jilliannaaa
post Aug 3 2011, 02:51 PM
Post #19

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 147 339

Look at mein svirls

That bothers me a lot, fire fox has auto correct for a reason, it's just like typing in microsoft word.
That and bad grammar, ughh that ticks me off to no end.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Mindfang
post Oct 5 2011, 05:29 PM
Post #20

♏ιη∂ƒαηg
Group Icon

Member No.: 151 121

Spider 8reath

It's a pet peeve of mine.
I mean, I don't expect everyone to have proper grammar.
8ut at least have the courtesy to try.
I can't stand some of the people I have on Face8ook, and when PPL T;LK LIEK DIS XD it irritates me even more.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 05:58 PM
All content and images Š2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.