Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
IQ Debate vs Age Debate
Dmitri
post Feb 28 2012, 05:03 PM
Post #1

Lecherous Demon
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 155 791

Team Scourge

QUOTE(Mr Nerd @ Feb 28 2012, 03:14 PM) *
Yes, and I'm 11. Surprised?

Why would age surprise anyone? If you're referring to intellect, I'd love to inform you that intelligence is based on IQ, not age.

Even so, not to be absolutely offensive here, but you seem blatantly short-sighted to things that happen in America. You're hardly putting any reasoning at all to what is "wrong" with the US, making it appear as if you know nothing about the topic. (Also, I'm being a little prick here, but the abusive caps lock and punctuation doesn't help get your point across.)

Back on topic: One thing I've really noticed is how sensitive we are to 9/11. I mean, I completely understand why that was a huge deal, but a lot of people in the US are oversensitive to that. I mean, do other countries have a memorial day devoted to airplane terrorism? Not to mention that anything with a tower collapsing was banned from TV, respectively.

This post has been edited by Mercenary Raven: Mar 2 2012, 09:18 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Feb 28 2012, 09:54 PM
Post #2

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

QUOTE(Narcissistic Cryosphere @ Feb 28 2012, 05:03 PM) *
Why would age surprise anyone? If you're referring to intellect, I'd love to inform you that intelligence is based on IQ, not age.

Intelligence is based upon potential and context; IQ is a lot of puzzle solving and shit. That's not intelligence, that's just the ability to notice patterns.

Age is a matter of perspective. A younger person is less likely (key word) to have any deal of perspective. It can be perceived as intelligence too (or lacking of) because they quite literally don't have much going for them.

Go on the internet as long as I have, and you realize that age does matter.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Dmitri
post Feb 29 2012, 03:54 PM
Post #3

Lecherous Demon
Group Icon

Team Scourge

QUOTE(Mercenary Raven @ Feb 28 2012, 08:54 PM) *
QUOTE(Narcissistic Cryosphere @ Feb 28 2012, 05:03 PM) *

Intelligence is based upon potential and context; IQ is a lot of puzzle solving and shit. That's not intelligence, that's just the ability to notice patterns.

Age is a matter of perspective. A younger person is less likely (key word) to have any deal of perspective. It can be perceived as intelligence too (or lacking of) because they quite literally don't have much going for them.

Go on the internet as long as I have, and you realize that age does matter.

IQ is the means of measuring one's intellect, though.[???] Or, atleast, it's supposed to measure intellect.

Age isn't all that matters though(which you've said/I've inferred). I mean, there are a wide range of people on the Internet to choose from. I think it's too commonly assumed that a ten-year old would be all "herp hay guiz" when the same behavior could be witnessed from twenty-year old.

But I'm pretty sure I'm repeating myself/you, since you're right and I am just rambling on and wasting text space asdf-

--------------------
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Feb 29 2012, 08:06 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(Narcissistic Cryosphere @ Feb 29 2012, 03:54 PM) *
IQ is the means of measuring one's intellect, though.[???] Or, atleast, it's supposed to measure intellect.
A standard IQ test jack shit in terms of measuring one's intellect. I am good with physics, for example, but put me in front of a mathematical analysis, engineering, or a biology problem and I would melt down. Put me in front of history? Yeah, fuck that shit. Put some of these so called "geniuses" in the real world, and they are stupid socially. IQ has nothing to do with intelligence.

EDIT: I am very good with patterns. I did not pick out anything on this IQ test because it's vague and stupid. IQ tests are stupid and too specialized.

Age isn't all that matters though(which you've said/I've inferred). I mean, there are a wide range of people on the Internet to choose from. I think it's too commonly assumed that a ten-year old would be all "herp hay guiz" when the same behavior could be witnessed from twenty-year old.
It's definitely important. I could tell you were a mid teenager just by your defense of this and the fact that you got jumpy from that, for instance. I have this ability to guess people's ages, and I can't say I've been wrong in recent years. (You're 15, lols). Trust me, age matters, and it separates "trying too hard" (no offense to you) from "genuinely pretty passionate/intelligent." I've been on enough forums to see that the older the member is, the more mellow they are and the more straightforward they tend to be.

Once again, I have been wrong, with a 26 year old somewhere that acted like a standard "tryna be badass" 14 year old, but I wasn't the only one way off.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Dmitri
post Mar 1 2012, 01:47 AM
Post #5

Lecherous Demon
Group Icon

Team Scourge

Depends on what kind of IQ test you take though. There are some that are completely filled with puzzles, and some that're just general intelligence.

I wasn't really trying to sound older(pfft, like I could) or anything, so I don't think I should take that as insulting..?

I'm only trying to point out that age isn't the only factor. Of course, younger people and older people type/talk differently. I can't say age isn't factored in at all, because I am probably one of the most stereotypical teengers since ever(So my typing will probably reflect such since yeah), but I don't think that someone should think they're supersmart because they voice an opinion on a website and they're eleven, or that anyone should act surprised if they can converse with older people. Also I am quite aware that this is a terrible time and thread to discuss such a topic and I should probably stop responding so I don't look extremely dumb.

fff- don't eat me though for using all those italics ohmyhex noes.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

The Grouch
post Mar 1 2012, 02:04 PM
Post #6

And this is how the world ends.
Group Icon

Member No.: 96 726

but a whimper.

I'm a God damn genius, you kidding me? My mommy told me so.

All jokes aside, I'm just going to parrot what Raven had said initially: IQ tests are too specialized. That, or they're too broad. Someone could be a major in psychology, but once the test puts a history or algebra question in front of them, they'd more likely than not get the question wrong. Or perhaps you're an English teacher and the test is full of physics, perhaps Geometry. The teacher could perhaps correct Raven's grammar all day, but he'd kick their ass in that test.

As for America, it's problem is businesses that practically run it. It's all about the money; the phones, the oil, the cars; all of it. They've got so much money collectively, they practically own the country. If the U.S. does something that they do not like, they're going to sue. All of them. And perhaps stop paying what keeps this place going. And besides, why would we? Money is good. It's corrupt, but money is what keeps us going unfortunately.

--------------------
Team (click to show)
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Mar 1 2012, 08:49 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(Narcissistic Cryosphere @ Mar 1 2012, 01:47 AM) *
Depends on what kind of IQ test you take though. There are some that are completely filled with puzzles, and some that're just general intelligence.
Define "general intelligence."

I wasn't really trying to sound older(pfft, like I could) or anything, so I don't think I should take that as insulting..?
It's not insulting. I was the same when I was your age, and I know others were.

I'm only trying to point out that age isn't the only factor. Of course, younger people and older people type/talk differently. I can't say age isn't factored in at all, because I am probably one of the most stereotypical teengers since ever(So my typing will probably reflect such since yeah), but I don't think that someone should think they're supersmart because they voice an opinion on a website and they're eleven, or that anyone should act surprised if they can converse with older people. Also I am quite aware that this is a terrible time and thread to discuss such a topic and I should probably stop responding so I don't look extremely dumb.
I think 11 year olds should admit stuff like that. Young people in general have a pretty narrow perspective overall, no matter who it is. Well, certain ones too, but there are special exceptions that are few and far between.

Also, the sign of a young person is "Sorry for having a contrary opinion, I'll shut up now because I sound stupid." Coincidentally, to someone with a position of power; whether the latter was intentional or not is up to you to decide, since I'm not making any rash generalizations. That's a pretty childish attitude to have as a whole.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reyo
post Mar 1 2012, 10:41 PM
Post #8

I'm in space...space...spacespace
Group Icon

Member No.: 30 281

space team

All IQ tests test you on is how to take IQ tests. In what way, shape, or form is it ever going to become necessary to look at a picture full of triangles, and determine exactly how many triangles there are in the picture outside of an IQ test? Besides, there's no way to judge someone's intelligence with just one, single, raw score. I think it was Psychology class where I learned about the 9 types of intelligence.

http://skyview.vansd.org/lschmidt/Projects...ntelligence.htm

Below is a very rough (very rough) estimate of my "intelligence" in order of strongest to weakest.

Existential
Logical-Mathematical
Spacial
Intra-personal
Bodily-Kinesthetic
Naturalist
Linguistic
Musical
Interpersonal

Even then it's rough you can do things within each of these realms of mental ability. The problem is that it's harder to pick up, and you're more likely to be inaccurate when demonstrating forms that you're not strong in. The Musical, Body-Kinesthetic, and Naturalist Intelligence were forms that I had to pick up in things like Band, the Military, Boy Scouts, and Karate lessons. They weren't as easy for me to pick up as, ohhhhhhhhh, the sciences that were taught to me in high school/early college?

I picked up a sense of my Body-Kinesthetic intelligence in Karate, which was primarily how I was able to pick up both the Academic, and Physical parts that comes with being a Medic/EMT. The field of Emergency Medicine revolves a lot around Body-Kinesthetic, and Logical-Mathematical Intelligence while taking very little Interpersonal Intelligence. Generic science majors need a great deal of Logical-Mathematical, and Existential Intelligence with a little bit of Linguistic Intelligence. The Linguistic intelligence is necessary for administrative science, like writing lab reports and doing science journals, which kinda sucks for me given that I have relatively low Linguistic intelligence, which is why writing lab reports is always such a chore since they always require a specific form of writing and expressing your results, yet these hypothetical "why is there air?" type philosophical comments on here is always such great fun for me to write and read (right?) because I have a higher degree of Existential Intelligence. I can write these comments however the hell I want. Shit, I can even explain what I did in Chemistry Lab last week on here, were it my own way of typing, but I'm not flexible enough with my Linguistic intelligence.

Savvy?

EDIT: I keep thinking that I wrote my point on my linguistic intelligence rather...confusedly...and was thinking about how to modify it until I realized that that actually somewhat proves the point I was trying to make...kinda.

This post has been edited by Reyo: Mar 1 2012, 10:45 PM

--------------------
space...spacespace...wanna go to space...I'm in space...are we in space...I wanna into space, are you space? Uh oh, space police, stay cool. Space..space..space space..ba ba, ba, ba, bababa, ba, ba space. Dad, are you space? Yes, now we can be a family again. Space space...need...space...need a rocket...wanna buy a rocket? It's for space...need one...buy one from space store...space store...space...space...space supplies...space ship...space rocket...rocket..space...soup...space soup...from space cafe...space waiter there's a space fly in my space soup...spacespace....must...

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-
+Quote Post

jayrachi
post Mar 2 2012, 01:59 AM
Post #9

Janitor
Group Icon

Member No.: 133 427

wat

i am 12 and wat is this

In my own personal experience, I've found that age matters a lot less depending on where you go. On here, I can usually guess the approximate age of a member, but I've seen a ten year-old making intelligent posts with nearly flawless grammar on another forum. A 12 year-old and I often will discuss current events. I know a good number of adults that think they're the kewlest kidzzz evr cus dey internet all day, and vice versa.

--------------------
+Quote Post

MrFuckUp
post Mar 2 2012, 02:58 AM
Post #10

breathe
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 80 019

team rocket

IQ is a collective measurement of how smart one can be in certain situations, and when asked certain questions, like Raven said. IQ is an inherited trait, but can spike dramatically during the developmental stages of birth. Any two smarter than average people could be blessed with a prodigy or given a dull as a brick child.

IQ can also change the more one learns as they age. So it's basically a ruler that's always growing. Like those height markers your parents made on the doorway. IQ can change, but only so much.

Wisdom, on the other hand is something entirely different. Anyone can be smart if they focus enough and have the patience for learning things that shouldn't really matter to them. I'd use myself as an example, but I know no more than... Well I can't exactly say "the next guy" now can I?

I know no more than the average human being, but I often my golden moments. Age is naught but a number that shows how long one has lived and potentially how much they have gathered for every step they've made.

It doesn't matter if you're 12 or 112. What matters is how much your brain has focused since you were born.

Also, if it matters, my "IQ" is apparently 113.
I don't care what that number means and neither should anyone else.
It's how you use your brain. Not how big it is.

--------------------
"something will go here"

+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Mar 2 2012, 09:28 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

Active Squad

Wisdom is something old people depart as they're dying. It matters a lot of you're 12 or 112 because of how much you can comment on certain things and claim you know; that's the point I am trying to make. I'd rather trust the 112-year-old (provided they're not completely senile)'s word than the 12-year-old's.

QUOTE(Mister Blah @ Mar 2 2012, 01:59 AM) *
i am 12 and wat is this

In my own personal experience, I've found that age matters a lot less depending on where you go. On here, I can usually guess the approximate age of a member, but I've seen a ten year-old making intelligent posts with nearly flawless grammar on another forum. A 12 year-old and I often will discuss current events. I know a good number of adults that think they're the kewlest kidzzz evr cus dey internet all day, and vice versa.
Yeah some adults are idiots, I know. But on here, you can tell when some 10 year olds are trying too hard and when some are genuine; as far as I know, only one has ever been genuine, and the rest have been trying too hard or pretty smug, and it gets grating and obvious. This actually is more or less true of the internet as a whole.

I never saw grammar as a sign of intelligence either. My grammar goes to shit sometimes because i honestly don't care as much as others do. It becomes trivial as you get older.

And yeah, I know way more teenagers that think what you are describing than adults. I go onto a forum filled with them, and I only there's a 26-year-old that kisses up to them too. I regularly chew that adult out; I try my best to chew the kids out, because they can be condescending as hell. They're more likely to follow a certain hostile mindset too that others have.

Surely you know of a concept called "tough love?" Much of kids trying to act as I've described attempt to pull off that "tough love" bullshit but they completely lack the tact to do it; as a result, they come off as assholes that somehow think swearing constantly and continuously at someone while being a condescending fuck at the same time will somehow work out. Having some sort of teaching experience in college, I know even adults don't respond well to that crap, and they respond better to a firm yet warm style of teaching.

And I honestly doubt "tough love" is their intent- it's probably that mixed with a bunch of "I'm much smarter than you na na na na naaa naa" crap than anything. Also, "I'm owning some noob on the internet go me." I see it more from younger people on the internet than adults, because they are too young to realize the implications behind what they're actually doing and why it doesn't work. It results a lot from them being young, more easily shaped, and lacking any sort of experience with actual people (as opposed to high school kids) than anything.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Dazmi
post Mar 2 2012, 09:30 AM
Post #12

Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 482

Active Squad

QUOTE(Narcissistic Cryosphere @ Feb 28 2012, 04:03 PM) *
Back on topic: One thing I've really noticed is how sensitive we are to 9/11. I mean, I completely understand why that was a huge deal, but a lot of people in the US are oversensitive to that. I mean, do other countries have a memorial day devoted to airplane terrorism? Not to mention that anything with a tower collapsing was banned from TV, respectively.

9/11 #firstworldproblems

--------------------
+Quote Post

Yamper
post Mar 2 2012, 09:38 AM
Post #13

Axew and Volcarona enthusiast
Group Icon

Member No.: 61 211

Invisible Kyurem

And I honestly doubt "tough love" is their intent- it's probably that mixed with a bunch of "I'm much smarter than you na na na na naaa naa" crap than anything. Also, "I'm owning some noob on the internet go me." I see it more from younger people on the internet than adults, because they are too young to realize the implications behind what they're actually doing and why it doesn't work. It results a lot from them being young, more easily shaped, and lacking any sort of experience with actual people (as opposed to high school kids) than anything.

Adding onto that, chances are it's probably trying to impress certain people due to the lack of attention from then.
While I'm here I guess I'll add to my views on the subject.

IQ doesn't really affect anything. "The IQ Test" are usually quite limited in their areas of measuring "IQ". If I'm honest, I'm shit at IQ tests. I barely get 100. However I can achieve A/A* in various subjects. It doesn't affect anyone's intelligence at all as people are better than some things than others and vice versa.

However on the age matter, I can't really say anything else than what Raven already said. I'd much sooner trust a 112 year old than a 12 year old. Mainly because I don't have time for kids, and they usually spout some pointless bullshit anyway. Not all do, but a vast majority do. Hence why I hardly listen to them, and 90% of the time they're wrong anyway.

In-case you forgot to include it, an awful lot of people lost their lives that day. Clearly the people who lost their family are going to be emotional and sensitive to it. It's our memory for starters. Certain words or phrases or just pictures of an area can influence how much we remember of a situation. Say 9/11 to someone and chances are they're going to show some sign of emotion and sensitivity towards the subject.

Although I really don't see what 9/11 has to do with Age vs IQ...

This post has been edited by Starships: Mar 2 2012, 09:41 AM

--------------------

Don't forget to love yourself.
Add me for daily clicks: 873/1000

[align=center]---

Community Thread Shiny List!

---[/align]
[align=right]Breeding Incentives: Mission Cards
[/align]
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Mar 2 2012, 09:40 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(Dazmi @ Mar 2 2012, 09:30 AM) *
QUOTE(Narcissistic Cryosphere @ Feb 28 2012, 04:03 PM) *

9/11 #firstworldproblems

Yeah so I recommend people who made posts in the other thread about America go ahead and transfer their points there, because I don't know how to split up posts.

And JR91, I do not expect you to post stupid crap like that, especially in the Debates forum, given how long you've been here. Do not do it again.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Forceman
post Mar 5 2012, 10:10 PM
Post #15

THE Forcey Man
Group Icon

Member No.: 122 691

Nothingness~

I hope I'm not getting myself into another bucket of poop by saying this, but I'm not cut out for debates, but the weird thing is that I have completely messed up on an essay once and made a little repeating error on another. Also, from remembering 5th grade, I can confirm that kindergarteners are stupid age really does matter. ESPECIALLY when there's a big age gap. One of my friends and I decided to not do choir (yay for being different!) so every Thursday we had to help with the kindergarten kids. 2 5th graders+ a class of Kindergarteners=X for me, N for my friend. My friend would say "Peepls are different."

--------------------

Quotes (click to show)

Steam: Forceman
Wii U: Forceman
3DS: 3840-7823-3101
+Quote Post

The Unholy Diver
post May 20 2012, 05:24 PM
Post #16

The asteriotypical one
Group Icon

From: The wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell
Member No.: 161 989

Z's Team (so far)

"20% of americans think the sun revolves around the earth. facepalm.gif
47% don't know how long it takes for the earth to revolve around the sun. facepalm.gif facepalm.gif
41% think the earliest humans and dinosaurs lived together" facepalm.gif facepalm.gif facepalm.gif
~readers digest
horrified.gif
These are adults, mind you!!!
I am so glad the people who are RUNNING OUR COUNTRY are like this.
I heard from my geography teacher that a senator of some state somewere thinks that we are still at war with vietnam
I think that saying younger people are less inteligent is age discrimination. This is appaling that (some) old people are saying we are less inteligent!! I don't think age should be a factor in anything besides physical growth. And get this: according to the reader's digest, only one fifth of americans know the three branches of government!!! Those people can't even name the government! for those who don't know, here is a list:
Legislative: The branch of government that is responsable for the creation and documentation of law. Basicaly the paper-pushers of the government
Execuative: The branch of government under direct control of the president. also tasked with enforcing laws. ie. police, military, etc.
Judicial: The branch of government responsable for interpreting the laws and determaning if one has broken such law as well as minor revisions. ex: judge judy, cival court, criminal court, and juvinile court, etc.
~after all of this, we are discriminated by age due to "not being as intelegent"??? I really think that age discimination should end at an earlier age.

This post has been edited by zerohundred: May 20 2012, 05:27 PM

--------------------
Thanks to the mobile site, I'm back on gpx!

I CAN CLICK BACK NOW

credit (click to show)
+Quote Post

The Grouch
post May 20 2012, 07:51 PM
Post #17

Group Icon

but a whimper.

People who rely on Reader's Digest for all of their information often times have low I.Q. scores. Seriously, as fun as magazines are, they aren't always the best source of information. Pick up a book and browse professional websites if you want to learn some new information, or even talk to someone who knows what they're talking about in the area. Lawyers are good people to go to if you want to learn more about politics, not Reader's Digest.

This post has been edited by Deadchu: May 20 2012, 07:55 PM

--------------------
Team (click to show)
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post May 20 2012, 08:25 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

Active Squad

Pretty poor way of expressing your point, but there is some truth to what you say.

QUOTE(zerohundred @ May 20 2012, 06:24 PM) *
I think that saying younger people are less inteligent is age discrimination. This is appaling that (some) old people are saying we are less inteligent!! I don't think age should be a factor in anything besides physical growth. And get this: according to the reader's digest, only one fifth of americans know the three branches of government!!! Those people can't even name the government!

Knowledge != Intelligence

Anyone can memorize facts (well, I can't)

Age still matters no matter what you say, because it's a matter of experience and perception and many times younger people lack that- you can sometimes sense the lack of genuineness in their words because they actually sometimes do not know what they are talking about. Your typical ~*internet tough guy*~ tends to be one of the younger people, for reference.

--------------------
+Quote Post

The Grouch
post May 21 2012, 09:57 AM
Post #19

Group Icon

but a whimper.

Knowledge does not equal intelligence, but it does build it and make it up. Your experiences and the things you've learned teaches you. If you didn't know what something was before you can throw in a couple of educated guesses, but that's more along the lines of noticing patterns, via IQ, which as said before is jack shit in terms of intelligence. Intelligence is the knowledge a person has learned, and how they are able to build up on other things based off that knowledge and think critically.

--------------------
Team (click to show)
+Quote Post

Dmitri
post May 21 2012, 12:27 PM
Post #20

Lecherous Demon
Group Icon

Team Scourge

Age isn't the only factor in determining intelligence, though. Yes, it can and will be a majority of the time, but the fact is that no matter what age you are, that does not set a certain intellect. Yes, there are 13-year olds who are complete idiots and have no idea what they say, but there are also 13-year olds that can easily bypass people older than them on an intellectual scale(Refraining from using IQ, as that's not the only way to gauge a person's intelligence, as Raven has pointed out). Yes, there are 30-year old idiots, and there are 30-year old geniuses. Age is only a small factor, if revelent at all, to intelligence. Just because you've been on this planet longer does not make you smarter or dumber.

--------------------
+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 10:47 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.