Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Belittling Beginner's Battle in Barley, When in doubt, alliteration everywhere
Lightascetic
post Mar 13 2012, 07:41 PM
Post #1

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 5 410

PANE Party

New beginnings were frightening.

This was the first thought to cross Erin's mind as she looked back at the welcoming gates of Barley. The ferry ride from Kanto had been enjoyable enough, with nothing but the excitement of discovery brewing in the young trainer's head. Now that it was actually time to depart and begin her journey, Erin felt like she had been pushed out onto a stage without a rehearsal. What exactly did she do now?

The brown haired girl glanced at the horizon; a clear sky underlined by clustered trees. It was just like being at home, she found herself thinking. Nature was the same wherever you travelled in the world, right? The ordeal didn't seem as daunting when she considered it this way. Filling her lungs with slightly salty air, Erin strode off down the dusty path that led through the first few lines of trees. She ran her hand over her pouch for comfort; the weight of the pokeballs and various medicinal sprays giving her the confidence of being prepared.

What did pokemon trainers actually do, she wondered? Was it protocol to just wander around in the wilderness until something happened? For the first time, Erin wished her father was here. That thought reminded her of the weight around her neck; a gleaming charm her mother had given her for good fortune. Undoing the cord, she held the deep red necklace against the sunlight, admiring the way the rays danced along its surface.

Her hand spasmed when a gust of wind swept suddenly across her. Taking a few seconds to realise the absence of the necklace in her grasp, Erin turned her head to see fluttering brown wings carrying her treasure away.

"H-hey!" She cried, breaking into a feeble run as her mind tried to catch up to this fast-paced turn of events. As Erin started racing through the trees, she noticed the defined head of the bird; a Spearow with an eye for shiny trinkets. It was beginning to gain distance, so the young trained fiddled with her belt, pulling a pokeball from it before tossing it towards the fleeing bird.

"Ledyba!" Erin called as the white light faded in front of her, leaving it its wake her trusted ladybird pokemon. "Don't let that Spearow get away... please!"

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Blonde Panther
post Mar 14 2012, 09:21 AM
Post #2

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 19 583

PANE RP squad

"...two, three!" On Meagan's cue, her Electrike dove into the bushes, after the Sentret they'd just seen. The girl wasn't particularly interested in catching it pokéball-wise, but she had to teach Artemis several things Garuda and Cerberus had already learned. Such as 'holding fire' until Meagan wanted her to attack, to catch targets without attacking them, such things. She was glad to see Artemis was a much quicker learner than Cerberus and Garuda had been...

She heard a cry, and Artemis promptly leapt up, jumping off of the Sentret she had held pressed against the ground, to look around. Meagan soon spotted the Spearow flying overhead with something in its beak, turned around and gave chase. Obviously she couldn't keep up with it, so she pulled out a different pokéball and threw it upwards, hitting it on a tree branch. She found that hitting pokéballs on stuff made them open more quickly- or maybe that was her imagination. "Garuda! Tail that thing!" Once fully formed, the Pidgey soared after the Spearow, tailing it at a safe distance. Meagan turned around to Artemis, who had followed her.

"Sorry about that dearie. Let's find that person!"

--------------------
PANE character (click to show)
+Quote Post

Unnamed Dude
post Mar 14 2012, 05:42 PM
Post #3

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 106 415

Adrian's Roster

The boat ride had been smooth. Adrian hadn't gotten seasick, he hadn't been nervous, and he managed to obtain his parents' blessing to take up pokemon training full-time. He'd even come up with a viable, albeit loose, plan. Locate the nearest pokemon center, ask around for a region map, and set out on foot, capturing any pokemon he could manage to find. If he was lucky he might find a rare pokemon, but even if he didn't, what he needed most was experience. There hadn't been much safe practice back in Fortree; if he ran into a wild pokemon, he ran. All he had under his belt was a handful of training sessions with his parents, and those were games more than anything else.

Stepping off the boat and receiving his first breath of fresh air in the new land gave him pause. His excitement now mingled with a bit of anxiety. The new region was big. It might be a bit more difficult than it seemed at first. He was glad that the little orbs notched into his belt held Grace and Veil-- seeing the little Ralts and puppy Poochyena, respectively, always made him feel better--but he didn't know his way around a battle yet. He just hoped he wouldn't do anything stupid that got them hurt.

Adrian decided to take a walk, steady his nerves. He bid a brief farewell to his parents, promised he'd be good and stay safe, and yes mother he would come visit, and of course he knew what he was doing, and he wouldn't lose those Potions... and headed into the nearby forest.

The newbie trainer had almost--almost--soothed his nerves when he jerked at the sound of someone yelling. Well, he supposed that that was as good a start as any. He went towards the source of the noise, but when he actually approached the other two trainers, he realized he had even less idea on how to deal with people than he did with pokemon.

A brown-haired girl that looked about his age; and a red-haired one that seemed older. He debated with himself for a few seconds before he made his presence known, struggling with himself. It shouldn't be that hard... oh, but he didn't know them, he didn't know what he would say...

No. No, this could not be the way he started. Standing there staring was making him look stupid. And the entire reason he set out was to get braver. With a good deal of trepidation, he finally said, "U-um, do you need some help?"

--------------------

Adrian Guiscard (click to show)
+Quote Post

Lightascetic
post Mar 17 2012, 05:40 PM
Post #4

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

PANE Party

Erin stumbled slightly; while she kept her focus on the flying pokemon, she neglected to keep an eye on the branch-covered ground. Through panic she quickly recovered her footing and continued the chase. Unfortunately, Ledyba was not as swift a flier as Spearow; the difference in their wings saw to that. Should she try an attack, or would that just made her target escape faster?

"Ledyba, try Supersonic!" Erin cried. Her pokemon buzzed in acknowledgement before distorted soundwaves flew from her mouth. As the waves reached Spearow, its wings began to droop. Instead of falling, however, it took an unexpected turn into the trees beyond Erin's field of vision. "Please, keep trying..." She gasped, having to stop for breath after such an intense run as Ledyba darted off in search of Spearow. As her hands fell to her knees and her long hair slumped over her shoulder, she heard two others approach. One was a red-headed girl who seemed far more mature than herself, while the other was a brown-haired boy, who asked her if his assistance was required.

"A Spearow...it stole my necklace... I couldn't bear to lose it. My Ledyba is chasing... but I'm worried it will escape." Erin responded through deep breaths, looking at both of the trainers as she noticed pokeballs attached to their belt. "I... I'm Erin."

This post has been edited by Lightascetic: Mar 17 2012, 05:40 PM
+Quote Post

Blonde Panther
post Mar 18 2012, 07:01 AM
Post #5

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

PANE RP squad

The girl kept running, but Meagan and Artemis were faster and once they caught up, Meagan recalled her partner. The girl explained what had happened to her, and Meagan nodded. "So my hunch was right. Don't worry, I have my Pidgey, Garuda, tailing that bird." Spearows were normally a lot faster than Pidgeys, but Garuda was trained for speed contests. He could keep up, although probably not catch it.

"I'm sorry. Had I known this and had Artemis been a higher level I would have had her zap that Spearow out of the sky." But that was not how it was, and it was little use to dwell on the past. "I'm Meagan. What do you both say we give chase?"

In the meantime, Garuda soared past Erin's Ledyba and tried to Tackle the Spearow, but by the time he reached it, the Spearow had already flown back forward. Garuda cried out in frustration, trying to pick up speed to keep up with it again.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Unnamed Dude
post Mar 18 2012, 07:14 AM
Post #6

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Adrian's Roster

"A... necklace?" Adrian nodded as the younger girl explained. However...

"I have no Flying types..." he murmured. He could still chase it, but not nearly as effectively as the other two. Perhaps if the Pidgey the red-headed and newly-named Meagan could stall it, though...

"I do have Grace," he continued, releasing the little Ralts from its ball. The childlike pokemon looked up at the two new trainers, but, sensing its owner's hesitation, tugged on his pants leg. It sent one word to Adrian's mind as he picked it up.

<Calm.>

Stay cool. He knew that. Of course he knew that. But it was easier said than done. He'd almost never seen human beings outside of his parents. Which was really rather pathetic, when he thought about it.

"If we can catch up... maybe she can take the pendant back with Confusion."

--------------------

+Quote Post

Lightascetic
post Mar 18 2012, 05:13 PM
Post #7

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

PANE Party

"Thank you..." Erin said, returning to her full height. "We need to hurry!"

With her two helpers in tow, the young trainer broke into a run, even though her labouring lungs detested. She could hear Ledyba calling in the distance, so followed the direction of the noise. Eventually Erin found herself in a small, circular clearing, the ground covered in short grass and wild flowers while the canopy of trees opened up in a ring above, revealing the clear, sunlit skies. Ledyba had landed on a log, her wings folded back into her five-spotted body. Suddenly a plume of flames erupted from nearby, followed by the swift exit of Maegan's Garuda from the area. Erin could hear the pained squawk of Spearow.

"What on earth?" Erin muttered to herself, allowing herself to creep closer to the edge of the glade where the flames had emerged from. Before she could get too close, a trainer leapt from the trees, landing soundly in front of her. She didn't have much time to take notice of his sharp brown hair or dark clothing before she identified her necklace dangling from his hands.

"Yo," He said plainly, oblivious to Erin's prying eyes, fastened on her treasure. "What's with the heavy gaze?" He narrowed his eyes.

"That's... that's my necklace." She answered as Ledyba landed next to her.

"Oh, I see. You were hunting that Spearow for its treasure! Well, tough luck shrimp, I got it first." He smirked, turning to head back off into the woods.

"No!" Erin cried. At this, the brown-haired trainer turned around again, the smirk returning to his lips.

"Okay, what you gonna do about it shrimp?"

+Quote Post

Unnamed Dude
post Mar 18 2012, 05:44 PM
Post #8

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Adrian's Roster

Strangely, the younger trainer's Ledyba had stopped, which made Adrian think that perhaps it had somehow managed to bring down the Spearow, but a burst of flame and the subsequent flight of a Pidgey immediately out put those ideas to rest. They found a clearing, with a rather rude other trainer attempting to lay claim to the pokemon and its snatched goods.

"Um..." Adrian started, shyly. "Actually, that was hers... before the Spearow took it..."

"Like I said," the trainer callously remarked, "What are you going to do about it?"

"Well, if you could just give that back... I think we'd be happy to leave the Spearow to you..."

"No way. This wimpy pokemon had it, now I beat it, now it and its stuff is mine. That's how it works."

<Not nice.> Grace broadcasted to Adrian, clearly feeling the emotions now charging the air. Adrian stroked her head as if to comfort her.

The other trainer sneered. "Oh, how cute. You're more of a shrimp than the girly there."

Adrian gave him a death glare that could have stopped a stampede of Rhyhorns, but the other trainer seemed relatively unperturbed.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Blonde Panther
post Apr 6 2012, 09:12 AM
Post #9

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

PANE RP squad

When the three trainers reached the clearing, Garuda lazily flapped back to Meagan, landing on her arm from whence she recalled it. The redhead listened to the trainer laying claim to Erin's necklace since he had captured the Spearow, with brute force from what Meagan had seen, too. She frowned. "Listen," she said to the trainer after he had called both Erin and Adrian shrimps, "Let's be mature here. The necklace belonged to Erin in the first place, surely you can-"

"I won't have some ginger tell me what to do."

Meagan frowned. "Redhead," she muttered. "The proper term is redhead."

"Whatever." The trainer had a pokeball in his hand, which he tossed up and caught again, repeating the motion as he assessed the three trainers. "I just told you how it works. Unless the three of you shrimps think you can beat me, the trinket is mine."

Meagan did not have a good feeling about this. She knew Adrian to have a Ralts, which wasn't the most durable pokemon on the field, and Erin to have a Ledyba, which was a fatal handicap if that huge flare had been made by the trainer's own pokemon. "...fine," she said, taking Cerberus' pokeball to hand. The Houndour's resistance to fire-type attacks would be their only hope. "I'll take you on." However, if this guy had well-trained pokemons then even the typing on her partner wouldn't help them.

She was inexperienced in battle, after all.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Lightascetic
post Apr 10 2012, 05:07 AM
Post #10

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

PANE Party

"Hey." The Trainer clicked his fingers at Erin. "It's her problem, let her deal with it. Cool it 'Redhead'." He grinned, folding his arms. "So, you gonna put me in my place shrimp?"

".....Yes." Erin said, stepping away from Adrian and Meagan. "I'll battle you." She quivered.

"Looks like you only got two." He sighed, eyeing up her belt. "Two it is." Casually he took a pokeball from his belt and tossed it into the grass. From the flash of light emerged... Spearow? Erin observed the bird pokemon, who's feathers were singed from its capture moments ago. Was he really going to battle her using a weakened pokemon?

"Ledyba, go on." She called, causing the pokemon in question to take flight, hovering in front of her trainer. Ledyba too was confused by their enemy's choice of combatant. There was a few moment's silence.

"C'mon shrimp, you trying to bore me into submission?" The trainer yawned, patting his hand over his mouth quite blatantly.

"... Ledyba, Tackle!" Erin cried. Ledyba fired up her wings, speeding towards the Spearow as fast as she could. Spearow managed to take flight, flying above the assault as Ledyba skimmed the grass, soon turning around. " Try Comet Punch!"

Once again Ledyba closed the gap with a swift burst of speed, its six fists primed. Spearow made an effort to fly higher, but its face twisted with pain as its wings seized up. The bird pokemon was pummelled by Ledyba's swinging fists, the damage soon being too much for Spearow to withstand. Its wings no longer moving, Spearow fell, flopping in the grass before the trainer recalled it without a word. Ledyba flitted back to Erin.

"Hahaha!" He seemed unphased by the battle and contindued laughing, leaving Erin to stand, puzzled.
+Quote Post

Unnamed Dude
post May 6 2012, 11:48 AM
Post #11

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Adrian's Roster

Adrian grew unsettled by the battle's start, but nevertheless switched into his battle mode. Analysis would behoove him here. Why would he begin with a pokemon he'd just overwhelmed and caught? It made no sense. He had already clearly demonstrated he could defeat one of such a level easily.

"...Something's wrong," he said softly to Meagan. "He's just playing with her." Not only was he using a weak pokemon, he purposefully ignored a chance to attack with an advantageous type.

He was either incredibly confidant in his next move or incredibly stupid. Or both. Whatever the case, he'd have to keep his eyes on this one. It may be troublesome to deal with, but...

"I don't know what he's planning. Any ideas?"

--------------------

+Quote Post

Blonde Panther
post May 13 2012, 08:08 AM
Post #12

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

PANE RP squad

It was too easy. Meagan saw that immediately after the trainer sent out the Spearow he had just weakened. She dropped Cerberus' pokéball on the ground, admittedly giving away part of her team but also gaining a partner in analysis and mental support. Like Adrian pointed out, it was obvious the trainer was toying with Erin.

Cerberus sniffed at Adrian's Ralts, prompting a little nudge from Meagan's foot to be safe. He then growled up at her before pointing his attention towards his front, where Ledyba had just utterly destroyed the Spearow despite its obvious type disadvantage. It was too simple... far, far too simple. He obviously had a fire type... why not use that, and tear through Erin's partner?

And then it hit her. "He's testing her. He's trying to figure out the way she fights before countering her strategy." She didn't have battle experience, but it was something her sports rivals had commonly done. Watch each others training, find where the others slacked and punish them harshly for it. "Just beating her isn't enough. He has to give her hope and then completely humiliate her."

--------------------
+Quote Post

Lightascetic
post Jun 24 2012, 07:36 AM
Post #13

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

PANE Party

"What's going on?" Erin demanded when her enemy continued laughing. She hadn't been in many battles anyway, so this kind of behaviour threw her completely. It all slowly clicked as he reached for another pokeball from his belt. With nothing more than a sneer he tossed his next choice in front of him, the sharp burst of light soon revealing the reason for his laughter. A large yellow mass with short legs and a heavy head stared blankly at Jenna and Ledyba. She wasn't entirely sure what that was...

"Numel, Flame Burst!" Her question answered, Jenna couldn't bring herself to think of a counter strategy. Numel opened its mouth, a large clump of fire soon hurtling towards Ledyba. The ladybird tried to move, but the attack had already exploded, catching Ledyba in the blast. Seared terribly by the power, Jenna's pokemon was instantly knocked from the air, landing on the ground as she writhed in response to the burns.

Without a word, Jenna recalled Ledyba, unable to watch her pokemon suffer any further. She didn't need to look at her opponent to know he was grinning.

"Next?" Called out the trainer. Jenna held Caterpie's ball in her hand. Caterpie was her companion; she'd never used her in a battle before. Was it right?

"Caterpie, go!" She cried, holding the opened pokeball as Caterpie appeared at her feet. More laughing.

"Real funny shrimp, real funny." The trainer casually swept aside some of his hair. "Maybe one of you should take the battle out of her hands?"

"No, it's my fight." Jenna said, quivering. "Caterpie, Tackle!" Sensing her friend's desperation, Caterpie built up as much speed as it could. As another Flame Burst was launched, the caterpillar halted, curling up into the blades of grass. Emerging unharmed, Caterpie unfurled itself. "String Shot!" Drawing itself to full height by balancing on its hind legs, Caterpie fired a long string of silk. The sticky string curled around Numel's head, causing the pokemon to shake it furiously. Charging once more, Caterpie closed the gap between herself and Numel.

"Just Tackle." The Trainer called. Calming itself, Numel ignored the visual impairment, throwing itself forward. Unable to react, Caterpie was crushed against Numel's solid body. Sent reeling through the air, Caterpie landed back at Jenna's feet, barely moving.

"Caterpie... I'm sorry." Jenna muttered, kneeling before her friend before gently recalling Caterpie back into the safety of its ball.

"I suppose that's it, then." The Trainer laughed as Numel shook itself free of the silk.
+Quote Post

Blonde Panther
post Jul 1 2012, 07:53 AM
Post #14

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

PANE RP squad

"...no, it's not." When Erin recalled Caterpie, Meagan stepped forward. She was through with this guy. Çerberus stepped forward alongside her and snarled at the Numel, who looked at him lazily. "We have the numbers advantage. If you want to leave, you'll have to go through me."

"Big deal. Send out your pokemon."

"He is out." Cerberus growled again, however, this time he also threw his head in his neck, howling loudly. Numel shook a little, but quickly got back to its stable feet.

"Tch. Fine. If you want to lose that badly, be that way. Numel, tackle!"

"Cerberus, stop him! Ember!" The black pup jumped up, breathing a small plume of fire towards the yellow heap of flesh. It was slowed down to a point where its tackle ended just in front of the Houndour, but didn't seem very fazed by the Ember. Made sense. Numel was a Fire Type as well... and a... what was it...

"Very wise, redhead. Attacking a Fire and Ground type with a Fire attack." Ground! Oshi- "Numel, finish it off. Magnitude."

--------------------
+Quote Post

Unnamed Dude
post Jul 2 2012, 11:25 AM
Post #15

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Adrian's Roster

A quiet, clear voice rang out in that moment.

"Confusion."

Numel reared up on its hind legs to obey its trainer's command, about to come down hard and cause terrible tremors. But at the height of its stance, its suddenly stopped for a moment. Its front legs began glowing with a soft sapphire light.

Its trainer glared at Adrian and his little Ralts, who he could see was struggling to maintain the lift against Numel's resistance. "What? You wanna fight, too, runt?"

Adrian shook his head meekly. What he had just done was probably a breach of etiquette at the very least, but... "No. I just... that's enough, isn't it?" He knew enough to see that in a contest of raw power he wouldn't win. And there wasn't time to set up any tricks after interfering like that. "You already showed us what you can do, right? Doesn't that prove your point already?"

Numel was allowed back down to earth gently, but Magnitude never came. Instead the little camel pokemon turned to its owner for instructions.

The trainer sneered. "Oh? So this one's the only one who has any brains?"

Adrian trembled. He did not like this person. Not at all. But he also could not realistically win. He bit his tongue and held himself back. Grace was right here, and she didn't like the negative energies surrounding her.

In the silence he barked a laugh. "Heh... Fine, if you beg for forgiveness and acknowledge I'm better, maybe I'll let this slide."

"Wha--" Adrian blinked. "But..."

"If you'd rather, I could just take out all your precious girlfriend's pokemon, and yours too. Just like with that other one."

"Wh-- that's not--!" Adrian stuttered in exasperation and embarrassment.

"Well? What's it gonna be?"

Adrian stood there fidgeting, trying to find another way out of this embarrassment.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Lightascetic
post Jul 10 2012, 11:44 AM
Post #16

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

PANE Party

Erin remained kneeling in the grass, cradling Caterpie's ball against her chest. She'd never meant for her friend to become so badly injured, even if the situation had been out of her control. All she wanted was her necklace back...

When Maegan stepped forward, Erin was surprised. She'd hardly known the girl an hour, and already she was defending her. It was only a necklace, but maybe Maegan saw that it meant a whole lot more to her. And for Adrian to step up too, even though he was breaking the rules; people could get into trouble for that.

The trainer on the other hand, was less than impressed. This was the part where he was supposed to walk away unchallenged. Erin looked up across the battlefield when things came to a halt.

"I just want my necklace, please..." She knew that whining was basically sustenance for these types, but she couldn't help it. Between her and Adrian's flustering, he must have been relishing in it.

"You really think you'll be able to make it out there? Heh, listen to yourself. There's worse than me out there shrimp." The trainer crossed his arms as Numel planted its feet firmly into the ground.

"I don't care, just give me back my necklace." Finding fury that she didn't know she posessed, Erin found herself on her feet. He'd got what he wanted, surely? "You're a thief."

"Wow, that smarts." The trainer rolled one of his shoulders, looking a little unsettled. "Cmon, technically that little runt was the thief, I just became his owner. Oh, whatever... Numel, Focus Energy! Let's wrap it up."

Numel lowered its head as its body took on a light red sheen.

"If she's going to keep whining, I guess neither of you are going to give in, right?"

This post has been edited by Lightascetic: Jul 10 2012, 12:50 PM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:28 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.