Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
Zorua, what's with your name?
Absinnu
post Dec 6 2010, 12:20 PM
Post #1

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 122 380

Active Squad

Here is a thing I have been wondering since these animals were introduced to us back in February

In Japanese, it's ゾロア and ゾロアーク zo-ro-a and zo-ro-a-ku, they are the same except for the ku at the end of the evolution's name, so why does every English site say Zorua?

Did someone goof when they were translating, and everyone followed suit, or was it an executive decision to change one letter for the English version?

It's pretty bothersome, because it's like seeing a typo everywhere that everyone but me is oblivious to.
Why does no one else mention it?

Somewhat related;
I thought Zoroark's name was a nod to the Rorschach test (I'd been pronouncing it zo-roark, but I guess it's zoro-ark), making a connection between Zoroark influencing how you perceive its appearance, and the way people see different things when looking at the inkblot cards. I guess that was an overly complicated theory, because it's as simple as a portmanteau of the spanish for fox and the word dark. Sometimes the names are a little too literal for my palate.

This post has been edited by methylMercury: Dec 8 2010, 09:07 PM

--------------------

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Dan Magnus
post Dec 6 2010, 12:36 PM
Post #2

The Danest Magnusiest.
Group Icon

Member No.: 89 899

Soon to have team.

I think even I could answer this... Because the English versions of Black and White aren't OFFICIALLY released by Nintendo, it's name will stay Zorua. There's also a possibility that it will be it's English name. Thus, you're statement is invalid. Zoroark is the same here.

This post has been edited by Dan Magnus: Dec 6 2010, 12:37 PM

--------------------
PANE Character (click to show)

Clickables and others (click to show)
+Quote Post

Absinnu
post Dec 6 2010, 12:53 PM
Post #3

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(Dan Magnus @ Dec 6 2010, 12:36 PM) *
I think even I could answer this... Because the English versions of Black and White aren't OFFICIALLY released by Nintendo, it's name will stay Zorua. There's also a possibility that it will be it's English name. Thus, you're statement is invalid. Zoroark is the same here.

Wh - my statement is invalid? Are we having the same conversation?
I just want to know why Zoroark's name sticks to the original Japanese and Zorua's doesn't. I didn't really make any statements there.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Dan Magnus
post Dec 6 2010, 01:09 PM
Post #4

The Danest Magnusiest.
Group Icon

Soon to have team.

I think it's because Zorua might not fit in with them... Also, you can ignore the statement invalid thing. I do that to give people a false sense of them doing something wrong or right.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Absinnu
post Dec 6 2010, 01:20 PM
Post #5

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

All that did was make me think you weren't paying attention to what I wrote. It looked very silly.

What d'you mean it doesn't fit in? Translating it properly and calling it Zoroa would have stuck with using "zorro" as the base for the name. Calling it "Zorua" doesn't seem to mean anything, like the way English producers will decide on a different name on a whim and not because it actually means something.

What I was mainly wondering was if a fan site like Serebii or Bulbapedia, or perhaps someone in Japan, had made a typo when writing the romanized version of the name and everyone else decided not to question it.

I feel like there's a loop I'm being left out of.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Dan Magnus
post Dec 6 2010, 05:31 PM
Post #6

The Danest Magnusiest.
Group Icon

Soon to have team.

Look, let's just wait for the English version release, which should be at Spring 2011, and see how they tamper with Zorua's name. And to be honest, I could agree with you of the actual name to be 'Zoroa', since I already checked that out in google translator, long story why, but let's get back to the subject... They may do have a typo, or they did have a reason to change that one letter... I don't understand Japanese, but I think their using the same pattern for their names in English. As the translation, Zoroa could mean possibly anything in Japanese. However, Zorua can be a wordplay, like they mixed two things together. Snivy's name is the same. In English, it's: Snake+Ivy. In Japanese, translated: Tsutaja. But like they say, it's Tsutarja. Kind of the same, only added a letter. I guess it has the same combination of Snake+Ivy in it, only written differently. So, you could say that, they could make his name in English will be like 'Zorssion' or something... Keeping the first three letters of Zoroark. You may also ask why I only took Japanese. Because their the first ones to make them, their the source of their names, and know why their naming them.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Synchronise
post Dec 6 2010, 05:53 PM
Post #7

[PAPER INTENSIFIES]
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 76 425

Fithos Team Delta

If I had to guess, it'd be for ease of pronunciation, or simply difference of opinion. For instance, when the translators romanized "Purotooga" written as プロトーガ, it ends up written as "Purotooga," "Purotouga," or "Purotohga." They're all pronounced virtually the same, so it boils down to preference.

For Zorua/Zoroa, maybe it's just difficulty in the schwa sound following "roh". "Zoh-roh-ə" being how it would be pronounced. Maybe it's easier to say "Zoh-roo-ə" than it is to say the other? It might also follow some romanization law that I don't know of.

EDIT: Officially, it's Tsutaaja, but romanization means you can change the second A into an R for pretty much the same sound.

EDIT2: The official names were confirmed today: Zorua and Zoroark.

This post has been edited by Flanoire: Dec 8 2010, 12:47 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Absinnu
post Dec 8 2010, 06:56 AM
Post #8

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

I went "hrmph >:C" when I read that they were keeping the u. I'm used to it now, and I'm getting over it, but it would be nice to know exactly why that decision was made, or this thing is going to bother me forever. That is pretty silly of me, but it feels like a train wreck I could have stopped.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Dan Magnus
post Dec 8 2010, 07:35 AM
Post #9

The Danest Magnusiest.
Group Icon

Soon to have team.

That's great to hear... Both that you're used to it, and that their keeping their names like that. I guess by time, you'll know their reason of naming. Now can we please close this thread? It feels useless...

--------------------

+Quote Post

cybersonic233
post Dec 8 2010, 03:21 PM
Post #10

IM BACK!!!!
Group Icon

Member No.: 65 884

Diamond team

this is complete invalid anyway coz the offical english name has been reveled to be Zorua and Zoroark

--------------------

Shiny (click to show)

Groups (click to show)

Other stuff (click to show)
+Quote Post

Dan Magnus
post Dec 8 2010, 05:08 PM
Post #11

The Danest Magnusiest.
Group Icon

Soon to have team.

So now... This thread is now invalid. It may be closed now. P.S. Sorry for mini-moding, I'll leave you guys in peace now...

This post has been edited by Dan Magnus: Dec 9 2010, 05:47 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Pidgey Pox
post Dec 8 2010, 06:40 PM
Post #12

DON'T RUN I'M YOUR BRO
Group Icon

Member No.: 118

Yeah

They probably called it Zorua because Zoroa is two letters off from Zoroark (and Zoroa is also very similar to Zora, so NOA probably didn't like that). Or they made that decision because that's what most people call it.
And the name Zoroark makes sense. If you haven't figured it out already, it's zoro (fox) and dark.

This post has been edited by Pidgey Pox: Dec 8 2010, 06:53 PM

--------------------
My GTS+ League Badges (the colored ones):

(trainer case made by me, using obvious other resources)

Help spread the Plague!
+Quote Post

Dan Magnus
post Dec 8 2010, 06:49 PM
Post #13

The Danest Magnusiest.
Group Icon

Soon to have team.

Message has been deleted because of mini-moding.

This post has been edited by Dan Magnus: Dec 9 2010, 05:48 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Pidgey Pox
post Dec 8 2010, 06:55 PM
Post #14

DON'T RUN I'M YOUR BRO
Group Icon

Member No.: 118

Yeah

If it's closed then how are we posting here?

--------------------
My GTS+ League Badges (the colored ones):

(trainer case made by me, using obvious other resources)

Help spread the Plague!
+Quote Post

methuselah alche...
post Dec 8 2010, 06:57 PM
Post #15

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 38 049

My Favorites

Zorua's name has always been Romanized as "Zorua", ever since it was revealed in CoroCoro, I believe. I thought it was odd that they had a u when it looked like it should've been an o, but I prefer it with the u anyway.

--------------------

Click the Timewarp Torchic to get to my party~

Blazikens made for me (click to show)

Credits for the Blazikens made for me (click to show)

Etc. (click to show)

+Quote Post

Dan Magnus
post Dec 8 2010, 06:59 PM
Post #16

The Danest Magnusiest.
Group Icon

Soon to have team.

@Pidgey Pox, Don't ask me...

@methusela, I totally agree with you on the u instead of the o.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Letan
post Dec 8 2010, 08:03 PM
Post #17

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 1 219

Lugia Hype

QUOTE(Dan Magnus @ Dec 8 2010, 05:08 PM) *
So now... This thread is now invalid. It may be closed now.

This isn't your thread. Don't try getting other peoples' stuff locked, please and thank you.

--------------------
[align=center]

=- Game Dev, currently making a game called Cursed Seasons. I tweet about it sometimes. -=
http://cursedseasons.tumblr.com/
Discord is a thing

[/align]
+Quote Post

Absinnu
post Dec 8 2010, 08:20 PM
Post #18

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(Letan @ Dec 8 2010, 08:03 PM) *
QUOTE(Dan Magnus @ Dec 8 2010, 05:08 PM) *
So now... This thread is now invalid. It may be closed now.

This isn't your thread. Don't try getting other peoples' stuff locked, please and thank you.

Thank you, Letan, you are a dear. I couldn't have hoped for a more pleasant interaction with site staff.

@Dan Magnus: Danny boy I don't understand what your problem is with my harmless thread that still has ideas to be discussed, or why you feel you need to exert authority where you haven't any. If my quest for answers is bothering you, you are free to look at every other thread on the forum. If you have nothing to contribute, kindly scram, honey.

QUOTE(Pidgey Pox)
They probably called it Zorua because Zoroa is two letters off from Zoroark (and Zoroa is also very similar to Zora, so NOA probably didn't like that). Or they made that decision because that's what most people call it.
And the name Zoroark makes sense. If you haven't figured it out already, it's zoro (fox) and dark.

I know about the "zorro" being Spanish for "fox" thing, which is part of why I am so confused about this. I ought to have mentioned it in the opening post, because it would be a good supporting point for me to make. I think I said it somewhere else. Anyway, if they'd kept it "zoroa", it would have been following the naming convention for the line, with having the same base word. It doesn't make sense (to me) that they would deviate from that.

Zoroa and Zoroark are noticeably similar names, but evolution lines having the same base word is a thing that has been done before, and probably hasn't suddenly become taboo. Take the Poliwag line for example; the thing starts out as a tadpole, another word for that being polliwog - BAM, there you have the base for that line, and that element of the name continues throughout the whole thing. Poliwag, Poliwhirl, Poliwrath and Politoed. I'd venture to posit that Poliwhirl and Poliwrath are just as similar as Zoroa and Zoroark, and we've been fine with it the whole time. This is a perfect parallel and hopefully will clearly illustrate my understanding of and point about this situation.

"Zoroa" may call to mind the Zora race, but the spelling of the name is where the similarities end. On one hand you have fish people, on the other you have a pint-sized tricksy fox from east asian lore. Not really something to niggle over.

QUOTE(methuselah alchemist)
Zorua's name has always been Romanized as "Zorua", ever since it was revealed in CoroCoro, I believe. I thought it was odd that they had a u when it looked like it should've been an o, but I prefer it with the u anyway.

Thank you for this information. I am glad to know where this started, as far as what was presented to the public. Word of God may be that it has always been and always will be Zorua, but in a boardroom or at the translation desk, someone decided that English speaking people were going to say "zorua" which has no apparent meaning, rhyme, or reason, instead of "zoroa" the way it is written in their language, which has a meaning and goes with the other name, and THIS this is what I want to understand. I want to know why this was done.

I hope this is clear enough for everyone, so I don't get any more claims of invalidity, or reiterations of already expressed and understood information.

This post has been edited by methylMercury: Dec 8 2010, 08:59 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Synchronise
post Dec 8 2010, 09:52 PM
Post #19

[PAPER INTENSIFIES]
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 76 425

Fithos Team Delta

I direct you to my above post for one explanation I already offered.

And you know, it could in all likelihood be a translation error that just stuck. Or maybe the combination of "rua" means something else that we're missing. There are a variety of possibilities. And quite honestly I would take translation error over other options, though it would seem unlikely.

And..."zoro" or in this case "zorro" doesn't mean anything in Japanese; it's borrowed from the Spanish word for fox, "zorro." So saying it means something in 'their' language is somewhat misleading.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Absinnu
post Dec 8 2010, 10:53 PM
Post #20

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(Flanoire @ Dec 8 2010, 09:52 PM) *
I direct you to my above post for one explanation I already offered.

And you know, it could in all likelihood be a translation error that just stuck. Or maybe the combination of "rua" means something else that we're missing. There are a variety of possibilities. And quite honestly I would take translation error over other options, though it would seem unlikely.

And..."zoro" or in this case "zorro" doesn't mean anything in Japanese; it's borrowed from the Spanish word for fox, "zorro." So saying it means something in 'their' language is somewhat misleading.

I read your reply and I appreciated it because it was thoughtful and logical. You cared about what I said, but I was silly and not in the presence of mind to reply appropriately. I will do it this time.

I am very certain it is a translation error. I brought this up in the opening post. I feel strongly about this. It is likely there is a play on words or something english speakers aren't aware of, but it is so painfully likely that somebody made a typo, and all they can do is move forward with it.

QUOTE(Past methylMercury said)
"Did someone goof when they were translating, and everyone followed suit [...]"
"It's pretty bothersome, because it's like seeing a typo everywhere that everyone but me is oblivious to."

Also mentioned just a paragraph or two above whatcha quotin me on, yes spanish yes loanword,
QUOTE(Past methylMercury said)
"I know about the "zorro" being Spanish for "fox" thing [...]
what I meant is that they wrote it in katakana, one of their forms of writing, specific to them. Their language.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:11 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.