Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Cheating in Pokémon Games
Stealth Rock
post Nov 9 2008, 06:00 PM
Post #21

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2 546

Old Gen 4 Team

Is cheating good or bad, or is it mixed depending on the situation?

I certainly think it's all right in some situations. Hacking items for your own use, TMs if you can't trade, maybe a jirachi? I wouldn't mind 999 dawn stones. I just don't have the money for AR. (plus I'm scared it will mess up my game. I guess it's a common fear.)

Why do you think people cheat?

Maybe they get frustrated in what they're doing and decide to get it that way. Say you're trying for a shiny torchic. It could take millions of eggs. There's also convenience, plus not being able to go to events. What about a lone girl in 3rd generation, with Sapphire and Emerald but no Ruby, desperate for a zangoose? Making it appear in Emerald/Sapphire doesn't seem bad to me.

Does exploiting glitches count as cheating, or does it depend on what exactly the glitch does?

It might depend, but I don't think so.

What do you think of people who trade hacked Pokémon?

If they're scamming someone, that's not exactly preferable, but if the accepting side knows then it's not too bad.

What do you think of people who do not cheat themselves but will still accept hacked Pokémon from others knowing full well the Pokémon are hacked?

Getting traded hacks can be a good thing. You have one in your Pokédex, so you can search for a legit one on the GTS. Plus, what if you've been traded your dream Pokémon? It's their (our) choice, you know.

What do you think of the people who use Pokémon created by things like Pokésav to battle others?

That's terrible. Hacking is okay, but not hacking battle Pokémon. (except those made for hack-specific battles)

What is your stance on cloned Pokémon?

Cloning? That's how I get all my TMs. That's how I got my first starter Pokémon onto my Diamond version. That's how I give away groudon for buizel. That's how I duplicate my awesome IV'ed mudkips!

Do you think that cloned Pokémon devalue certain types of Pokémon (shinies, event Pokémon, etc.)?

Yes. If something is not cloned, I believe it is worth more than something that is cloned.

Oh, yeah. Flamer, I love your shiny mewtwo.

--------------------

What if we were all just line segments living in a grid?
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Pokemaniac John
post Jan 1 2009, 06:40 PM
Post #22

Expert Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 1 029

Active Squad

Basically, we will be answering and arguing amongst these points:

* Is cheating good or bad, or is it mixed depending on the situation?
* Why do you think people cheat?
* Does exploiting glitches count as cheating, or does it depend on what exactly the glitch does?
* What do you think of people who trade hacked Pokémon?
* What do you think of people who do not cheat themselves but will still accept hacked Pokémon from others knowing full well the Pokémon are hacked?
* What do you think of the people who use Pokémon created by things like Pokésav to battle others?
* What is your stance on cloned Pokémon?
* Do you think that cloned Pokémon devalue certain types of Pokémon (shinies, event Pokémon, etc.)?

* Cheating always depends on the situation, and therein lies the problem and the point of this thread - what should be allowed and what should not?

* People cheat for all kinds of reasons. I clone and use glitches, and the only reason I do it is to speed up the time it takes to LEGITIMATELY raise a Lv.1 all the way to Lv.100, EV trained and all.

* Again, the ethics depend on what the glitch is. So far, all glitches seem to be alright to use. After all, the player has no choice as to what to glitch or how it affects the game. I call it intelligence - if it's there, use it.

* I think people who trade hacked Pokémon suck. It makes me as sick as looking through the GTS does (no one will trade a Lv.100 Dialga for a Lv.2 Bidoof, people!). The same property applies to both things - someone is deliberately ripping someone else off.

* I think that, if the person knows full well, it's the same as cheating themselves.

* Depends. If two people agree to use Pokésav against each other, in a friendly manner, then I have absolutely nothing against that. I'd try it, even. But if someone is using Pokésav to get 31 IV Pokémon and then challenges others who are only using normal, legitimate Pokémon... well, that's the worst kind of cheating there is. Especially if there are stakes on the battle, a wifi gym badge is involved, or the player is participating in an official tournament.

* Cloned Pokémon. I take them with a grain of salt. I clone, but only Hoppip holding Rare Candy and Zigzagoon holding Master Ball (to transfer to Diamond - more than 6 a day, to boot). I think that cloning is the player's right (if they clone without using a cheating device). It affects the global trading scene a bit, though - a legit GenIII shiny is usually worth less than a legit GenIV shiny, simply because the GenIII could've been cloned in Emerald. Would you trade hours worth of your time and effort for something that someone cloned up in about 30 seconds? Heck no.

The last thing I should mention is the biggest problem I have with hacking/cheating with cheating devices. The BAD EGG. It's never happened to me yet, but the world will rue the day I find one in my game. I never use cheating devices - the only way this could happen is if I exchange game data - any kind - with someone who has corrupted the very information of their game (which only happens with complex and game-altering cheat codes). All it takes is an innocent trade, or even a record exchange. BOOM! My cherished Pokémon game is F-U-C... well, you get my drift.

I aplogize if I seem angry, but I am. Cheating makes me angry. Cloning and gitches, not so much. I do those things. awesome.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Dazmi
post Jan 2 2009, 06:36 AM
Post #23

Veteran
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 2 482

Active Squad

It's mixed in my opinion.
If you're going to battle me or give me a level 100, shiny charizard, with all 888 stats without telling me then it's bad.
I don't mind if you're giving yourself all 999 items

If you have to cheat to get a rare pokemon (Mew, Shaymin, etc.) then by all means go ahead!

Everyone has their own reasons.
In my experience, I've only used a cheat to get event pokemon and give myself 999 items of some kind.
Extra experience is good to raise pokemon a little faster.

Does exploiting glitches count as cheating, or does it depend on what exactly the glitch does?
Yes, it does count as cheating. Although, in my opinion cheating isn't always bad.
It also depends on what it does.

They're not bad people, they just want legit pokemon that they're trying to get.
To me, it can be annoying if they don't tell me first.

What do you think of people who do not cheat themselves but will still accept hacked Pokémon from others knowing full well the Pokémon are hacked?
I think that's fine, as long as they don't trade it, or use it in battle without first saying so.
I only accept hacked pokemon because I'm trying to complete my pokedex, and I know how hard it is to get a legit Deoxys, etc.

What do you think of the people who use Pokémon created by things like Pokésav to battle others?
To me, this is a bad thing. They're just being cheap.

My stance is for cloned pokemon because I would like to complete my pokedex someday.

Do you think that cloned Pokémon devalue certain types of Pokémon (shinies, event Pokémon, etc.)?
Yes, it does but I think everyone deserves to have their pokedex completed.
As long as it's not a clone of hacked pokemon, I'm fine.

This post has been edited by johnrichard1991: Jan 2 2009, 06:39 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

PuhPuhPuhPi
post Jan 2 2009, 02:50 PM
Post #24

Three point one four one five nine two six...
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 388

Pi's Posse

Mr. Mackey: Cheating's bad, mmkay?

Seriously, however, it depends on your definition of cheating. From dictionary.com, this is the most relevant definition of "cheat:"

"n, A computer application, password, or disallowed technique used to advance to a higher skill level in a computer video game."

Well, that means that people that cheat increase their skill level.

"Skill, n, the ability, coming from one's knowledge, practice, aptitude, etc., to do something well: Carpentry was one of his many skills."

If one knowledgeably increases their skill level using their understanding of EVs, IVs, Moveset restrictions, items, Maximum Stat Levels, and PIDs, then what's wrong with that? That's what people who IV breed and EV train do. And trust me, it does take some practice at some cheats when you start. Basically, if it's legal and it is just like a regular Pokémon, then what's the problem?

People cheat because people like being good at something. It is a psychological desire in all human beings to have a proficiency or talent. With something like Pokémon, it takes a lot of time and patience that some people don't have, and therefore they cheat.

* Does exploiting glitches count as cheating, or does it depend on what exactly the glitch does?
Let's go back to our definition:

"n, A computer application, password, or disallowed technique used to advance to a higher skill level in a computer video game."

Well... glitches aren't a computer application, unless you count the game in itself, but under that circumstance everything you do in your game is considered cheating.

It's not a password. No one has to put in a secret code to Surf through the Elite Four doors.

Disallowed technique... This brings in morality questions. Does cloning count as a disallowed technique? Well, depending on the massive influx of cloning and etc. in the Pokémon community, either it is not a disallowed technique, which means it's not cheating, or people are lax enough about cheating that it should be considered okay, which would render this debate futile. Therefore, glitches are not a disallowed technique, and therefore glitches are not a cheat.

If the other guy knows it's a hack and is okay with that, then there's no fuss about it.

However, trading a hacked Pokémon when the other guy doesn't know is dishonest. In a mutual agreement like a Pokémon trade, both parties should be fully aware of the deal they are getting... (If only most loans worked like this...) Unless you trade a useless crappy 0 IV'd Splash-knowing Level 100 Dialga to that brat on the GTS who has a Level 2 Bidoof to teach him a lesson. *Evil idea hatches*

* What do you think of people who do not cheat themselves but will still accept hacked Pokémon from others knowing full well the Pokémon are hacked?
They're human. Think of the poor old chap you lives in some rare remote region that never gets Pokémon events, or has unloving parents that won't take them to ToysRUs or GameStop every other month, but they desperately want a Mew or Deoxys or Darkrai? Although trying to get a legit clone would probably be the best route, at least having a hack will get the Pokémon on their Dex so they can try and find a legit one on the GTS or something.

HACKED POKéMON ONLY CAN HURT THE GAME OF THE PERSON WHO DID THE HACK. IF IT IS TRADED TO YOU, YOUR GAME WILL NOT BLOW UP INTO A THOUSAND BITTY PIECES, SO QUIT YER BITCHIN'.

However, the 999-stated Wondertomb should not be made, let alone traded.

* What do you think of the people who use Pokémon created by things like Pokésav to battle others?
Although I try and IV breed most of my competitive Pokémon, I do rely on Pokésav for some of my Pokémon. Some I make specially for battle (like my brand new shiny Lickylicky cat.gif ), and others I use for breeding (Like my Tentacruel's grandfather, just so I could get a Special Defense IV of 31. (BTW, if anyone remembers my Everstone problem, I did forget to set its country >_>) But now that I learned how to create legit PIDs, all of the Pokémon I create are perfectly obtainable in-game.

Again, 999-stat Wondertombs might help you win, but it will not help you from being called a stupid n00b-tard.

Well, cloning is a glitch, whether it's on Emerald or the GTS, and it is not considered cheating.

Even if you do use an AR to clone, you're using your knowledge of Pokémon to simply increase your skill level via a computer application.

* Do you think that cloned Pokémon devalue certain types of Pokémon (shinies, event Pokémon, etc.)?
If you're that Mew fan that lives 50 miles from the nearest ToysRUs, then you don't give a crap. As for shinies, I think if anything devalues them it's the effing PokéRadar.

--------------------
My friend code for Pearl is
1160-9066-4343
My Friend Code for Diamond, my hack version, is 1805 5204 6808

Thanks sushikitty!
CLICK FOR SOMETHING AMAZING... :3
ludicolo.gif lickilicky.gif I claim Ludicolo and Lickilicky, because no one else will protest about either of them. lickilicky.gif ludicolo.gif
GTS+ Chat. Much like drugs, it's really addicting.
Badges

+Quote Post

Nana
post Feb 19 2009, 10:17 PM
Post #25

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Validating
Member No.: 4 236

Active Squad

I rarely cheat with a cheating device myself, aside from the time I cheated a Scyther so I could breed it since I didn't have Fire Red or any friends with it. I think in simple situations like that then cheating is fine, especially since some of us just can't afford to buy multiple versions. I do clone often, but usually just so I don't have to spend endless hours earning money the hard way so I can skip to what I wanna do.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Jirachi Trainer
post Feb 28 2009, 11:53 AM
Post #26

J_T
Group Icon

Group: Validating
Member No.: 5 271

Make A Wish ^_^.

I think the point here is:
If no-one has the chance to cheat they find it sort of hard to understand why others do.
When people have the opportunity to cheat it becomes almost irresistable for some to abuse such (for lack of a better word) "privilige". I myself have cheated to get the event pokemon (UK sucks T_T), and for a shiny Chikorita becuase of the fact that Chikorita looks cool as shiny. But that was really as far as I went. Thankfully for me I never got and don't plan to get a cheat device for the DS as I don't want to fall into the same trap as toying with ideas that abused the privilige of having the opportunity to get things (event pokemon). That was the only step for me was getting the event pokemon. Anway back on topic lol. If you want to cheat then thats is what you decide however, the people I have no time for are the ones that make things like the wonderguard Spiritomb and cheat in a way that disadvantages others and stops fair online players from enjoying the game. That's really about it in my opinion ^_^.gif.

--------------------
My Pearl FC is: 1891 6083 5219
My Sig ^_^.gif. (click to show)
+Quote Post

eevee master
post Feb 28 2009, 12:35 PM
Post #27

pokemon lover
Group Icon

Member No.: 3 584

my best pokemon mates

cheating is just plain wrong

--------------------
pokemon rules so does eevee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!im back hooray! and im giving credits to pulser for showing me this place +all my friends for being on mostly thanking suziki ruhi18 pulser drake wolf andhiikari(and delivery bird sorry lol)

i help newbies and answer any question
+Quote Post

Rezerai
post Feb 28 2009, 01:15 PM
Post #28

Mawile Fanboy
Group Icon

Member No.: 5 259

Favourites

It always depends on the situation. Different communities will always have different views but at the end of the day the variety of cheats out there means you can't make this a black and white topic.

To do what they otherwise can't do in the game for whatever reason.
Missing a pokémon event or not having had the game at the time.
Not having time to train up a competitive level team.
Loosing a save file and not wanting to have to start from scratch.
I'd say there were enough reasons for it.

I'm going to go against what seems to be popular opinion and say yes, utilising a glitch is a form of cheating. At the end of the day the game is working in a way that was not intended, as far as I see it if you are playing a game outside the way it was meant to it's cheating. Sure the fault lies with the programmers and not you but it's still utilising something to effect the game in a way that was not intended. Of course this doesn't mean using glitches is bad, much as cheating isn't always bad. I just can't see why they need to be put in two different categories.

They should tell the other person exactly what they are getting. If you want to trade hacked pokémon fine but if the other person doesn't want a hacked pokémon that is there choice as well.

Who cares? A person can decide how they want to play the game so long as it doesn't have a negative impact on others.

If they want to pass up the tedious time sink that is training for perfect stats and sets then by all means. So long as the hacks fall in line with what they could otherwise get and were not game breaking then I see no problem with this. If you don't want to fight such pokémon then fine, no one can force you to, making out that you are a better person for training your team all the way up from the ground though... that bugs me a fair deal. Yes it's great that you put the time and effort in to do it the right way and I can understand that people might feel cheated to come up against a set of legit hacks that took far less time. Still that's your choice of how to play the game, if I had any interest in playing competitively I'd hack a legit team to do so simply due to constraints on my time. As long as it stays within the games rules then it's fair and for some the only way they could enjoy one of the major appeals of the game.

They help spread the love. =D

Yes and no. I've caught maybe... two shiny pokémon I think in the time I've played both Ruby and Pearl (easily 800+ hours by now) and that is frankly a little ridiculous. It depends on what you want them for but at the end of the day if someone wants a different coloured pokémon, why shouldn't they be able to have it? I feel the same way about even pokémon, they are all coded into the game so technically everyone has a copy of each one. Restricting a users access to content because they haven't thrown hours into the game or made it to an event just seems like elitism to me.

No offence to anyone at all at the end of the day it's your game, play it how you want. Just don't expect everyone to share your views on how the game should be played or what is fun. As long as you don't cheat other people, do whatever you enjoy.
+Quote Post

Typhlosion
post Feb 28 2009, 01:23 PM
Post #29

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 5 012

Active Squad

People can say what they wish. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Hacking.
The only thing I am against hacking-wise is if some one is using a maxed out pokemon to battle others on Wifi.
+Quote Post

Commander Happy
post Feb 28 2009, 02:28 PM
Post #30

Your number one Purugly Fan! :D
Group Icon

Member No.: 4 229

My Favorite Pokemon

Eh, I don't approve it, but others do. I think it's ruining the games.

Well, the people I know that cheat do it for fast bragging rights, because they honestly suck at the games. (I'm not stating that to everyone who cheats, I was talking about some of the people that I know.

I think so if it's intentional and they keep doing it, I've had a glitch In my games once, but it was accidental.

Eh, I dunno. Same as number two for the people I know

What do you think of people who do not cheat themselves but will still accept hacked Pokémon from others knowing full well the
Pokémon are hacked?

I think it's basically the same. Out of all my 7 years of Pokemon, I have never hacked or cheated, But I do have one pokemon that is hacked, but I didn't know that until I got it. (Damn Liars.)

Stupid. It's just more bragging rights.

I don't approve of it either. I breed mine the old fashioned way, but It is useful for shinies. I don't know how, and I don't want to know because I'm never cloning.

Yeah, I think it does. It's not the same Pokemon anymore to me.

--------------------

Warm My Eggs Please.

HAPPY the Jolteon has gone from DS To Interwebz! Help him get to Level 100!

jolteon.gif I Claim Jolteon jolteon.gif

purugly.gif Puruglys are Not Ugly! And, I Claim them. purugly.gif

I make Pretty Cool Pokemon signs with Keynote on my Mac! If you'd like one, Send me a message!
Here's An Example of my Work

+Quote Post

Stealth Rock
post Mar 2 2009, 08:43 PM
Post #31

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 546

Old Gen 4 Team

Eh... I have quite the situation.
I've grown to like my hacked shaymin more than my legit shaymin. o.0

Then, I started wondering what the difference was.
Their IVs are probably different, but i haven't bothered to find out.
The way they were obtained is different...
Then I didn't find anything else significant.

I think I really bonded with Haxmin (my nickname for it) by training it to level 100. Legitmin already had seed flare, so there was no need to train it to level 100.

I pity the hacked Pokémon that are left in a PC box until the trainer gets legitimate ones. =/

--------------------

What if we were all just line segments living in a grid?
+Quote Post

Dar Ksereth
post Mar 28 2009, 08:43 PM
Post #32

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 3 614

My favorite party

1.Is cheating good or bad, or is it mixed depending on the situation?

Depends, IMO, it is plain mean to not be able to get multiple copies of all the TM's in the game, Cheating 99 of each is ok for me, because it helps train your pokemon the way you want to. item-only legendaries are also annoying, i am not paying700$ or more on a plane ticket just to get a pokemon. so, IMO, hacks on items are all ok.

about pokemon though, first, i hate illegals, period.
second, i don't see it so bad, for example, i have a deoxys, 28 S.Atk, 31 Spd, but relaxed, hacking to make it an attacking nature seems fine to me, But hacking him into an all 31 seems pretty mean, why, that pokemon would have max stats, all other pokemon of people without an AR would be inferior. and that pisses me off, i have (somewhat) an AR, and i dont do that.

now, my "perfect opinion" of hacking pokemons would be:
Change a nature (because with a synchro-ralts its almost as easy, and some people diddnt know the sinchro thing back when they caught the pokemon.
For people that hack pokemon from scratch, to set a limit, for example a max of 120 IV's, spread (this makes 20 in every stat) that way, the pokemon would be more moderated, and people who breed could get an upper hand for their hard work.

moving the IV's of pokemon, for example, you have a scyther with 31 in Satk, and 0 in Atk, Switching them. this one is still a bit bad in my eyes, but it's better than 31 in everything.

oh, and hacking all 31's pokemon, to be used for breeding is ok with me though, although still not looking ok to my eyes.

and last, hacking a move you forgot, for example, scizor learns swords dance (or iron defense) at the same level that scyther learns agility, but you evolved him prior to that, so he won't ever learn agility, in my opinion, hacking an agility into the moveset is ok.

and now with platinum out, the fact that you learn different attacks here or there, not a reason to buy a new game, so teaching that scizor bullet punch in your pearl (an platinum exclussive move) is ok to me though.

Changing sexes is ok too, noone wants a male gardevoir.

i think i forgot nothing, next question:

2.Why do you think people cheat?

A. to feel better than other with illegal or full 31 pokemons.
B. to save time.
C. they are just ol' plain lazy.

3.Does exploiting glitches count as cheating, or does it depend on what exactly the glitch does?

I say Nay, there is no glitch that helps destroy other people in battles. and having a lvl 255 blastoise was awesome (to mention my favorite glitch), since you cant use him in link batle, it's ok with me.

4.What do you think of people who trade hacked Pokémon?

if they are illegal, screw them.
if not, they trade just to annoy, or help, since if they can hack pokemons, their need of trading is none. so they could hack to help their friend, or pass hard-to-obtain pokemon to other peple without giving theirs.

5.What do you think of people who do not cheat themselves but will still accept hacked Pokémon from others knowing full well the Pokémon are hacked?

if it's illegal, so long as it doesnt see the colosseum, it's ok with me. all other hacked pokemons, as long as they fit my standards, are ok.

6.What do you think of the people who use Pokémon created by things like Pokésav to battle others?

this is the same as question 1, but specifically on pokemon, answer is in #1

7.What is your stance on cloned Pokémon?

have fun, having only one deoxys is no fun, having multiple deoxys ith different moveset it´s ok to me, because each one helps a different kind of purpose in different teams.

8.Do you think that cloned Pokémon devalue certain types of Pokémon (shinies, event Pokémon, etc.)?

somewhat, i cloned my deoxys to give it to a few friends, and one of them cloned it and gav it to everyone, later i found a random guy saying "hahaha, i have deoxys" and when i check, it´s mine, i was pissed, for real.

This post has been edited by Dar Ksereth: Mar 28 2009, 09:45 PM

--------------------
The One and Only

Viral

you are compelled to poke them.
+Quote Post

CharrMistKanako
post Apr 2 2009, 01:29 PM
Post #33

THE Pokémon Fanatic
Group Icon

From: A world where Cuccos cluck,and Charmanders are awesome.
Member No.: 2 459

The CMK Brigade

Is cheating good or bad, or is it mixed depending on the situation?Why do you think people cheat?
It depends on the situation. If they hack items,accessories for the Pokémon,it's Ok,because it's their game.

But I think hacking Pokémon is bad if you use them in Wi-Fi battles..

I think people cheat because they're too lazy to train their own Pokémon. Or maybe they cheat just because they want lots of items. Or if they want event items so that they can get the event-only Legendaries.

If the glitch just makes the graphics look weird then that's not cheating.. If you obtain a Pokémon from the glitch..it's still not cheating to me.

I think of them as people who either wants to help,or trick people.

It depends.I mean,if they want an EV-trained Pokémon without having to work hard then..they trade. But sometimes they get Pokémon with illegal stats,right? That's bad..

It's kind of unfair to people who have legit Pokémon that they trained themselves.. They should really stop battling if they are making their Pokémon have illegal stats..

It's okay to have them cloned. They're just clones of normal Pokémon,right?

Not really.

This post has been edited by CharrMistKanako: Apr 2 2009, 01:31 PM

--------------------
Fear my Charmandery wrath pissed.gif !! charmander.gif I've claimed the awesome Charmander. charmander.gif
+Quote Post

ShrapnelStars
post Apr 2 2009, 02:17 PM
Post #34

Well, I wish I'd wished you well
Group Icon

Member No.: 4 143

Let Us In

Is cheating good or bad, or is it mixed depending on the situation? Why do you think people cheat?

Some cheats/glitches are just downright hilarious, like catching the in-game trainers' Pokemon, or walking through walls. It's not bad unless it's the wi-fi situation that everyone else mentioned.

People do it because it's fun and fast. For me, it's amusing. I made a Lv. 100 Hitmontop, but I forgot to give it an ability, so I now have him as a keepsake for that hilarious moment.

It's not cheating. It's the programmers' fault. If they can't be competent enough to stitch up the holes in the game, I shouldn't get a "Scarlet Letter", so to speak, over it.

It's rather ignorant to think that someone gets the same high over a hack as you do. Warn the people first.

I don't really care. They know what they're getting, so that's their business.

Not cool, unless it's legal. Whay can't you just take your HaXX0rs against the in-game Battle Tower and get your laughs there?

It's awesome. Why would I turn down a Pokemon that I otherwise would have no access to? I want my collection to be complete, and I don't have a time machine to go back several years and go to an out-of-the-way event and download a key to a Pokemon that I'd have a struggle trying to catch because it's at Lv. 70 and I don't have the Masterball because I used it earlier in the game. Gimme that Arceus clone! O:<

Not really. It's not like EVERYONE in the whole world has an entire Pokedex full of shinies and has 65 of each event Pokemon. They're hard enough to get in the first place, right? A person who has struggled through the process decided, "Hey. I don't want people to have to go through what I just had to deal with, so I'll share some lovin'."

He has the honor of working through blood, sweat, and tears to get to his point. Nobody can remove that. Everyone else has the privilege of not being left out because they didn't have enough money or time to go to a convention and get the special key to unlock the Pokemon.

This post has been edited by Blak99Psy: Apr 2 2009, 02:18 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Prof Nexus
post Apr 8 2009, 11:46 PM
Post #35

They call me... The PHANTOM RENEGADE.
Group Icon

Member No.: 6 365

Active Squad

The only hacking I've done is an encounter mod to get the pokemon I have. They were all less than level 10, and I raised them myself. It's not like they were legends or anything, just pokemon I like. I feel that no one should have a problem with battling me, I did catch and raise them all myself, I just avoided beating pretty much the entire damn game so I could use pal park.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Fuzzball
post Apr 11 2009, 01:17 AM
Post #36

I am the ultimate thunder demon
Group Icon

Member No.: 9 718

-Fuzzball's Team-

I would like to personally say that I do cheat. However, I would not trade a hacked Pokemon unless for some reason the other person wanted it (I dont have Wifi or a cable or anything so I can't do that anyway). I do it for my own personal enjoyment.

--------------------

-I CLAIM GROVYLE-

+Quote Post

Tsum
post Apr 11 2009, 08:00 PM
Post #37

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 3 215

Favorite Pokemon

To avoid mimicking, or letting someone else's opinion throw bias at me, I'll answer before reading the rest of the thread.

1) "Cheating" seems to a bit of a strong word. It can be beneficial, and it can be annoying, depending on the case.
2) To expand on my first response, I'd say that people cheat to get things they can't obtain, want to obtain quickly, or simply just to annoy others.
3) I'd say exploiting a glitch is just as much cheating as using an external device is. After all, you aren't doing things the way the developers 'meant' you to do them...
4) If the hacked Pokemon aren't illegal (Level 100 Togepi with Judgment, Hyper Beam, Dark Void, Mean Look, and equipped with Color Change as an ability, as an example), or poorly done, then I have no problem with those people that trade hacked Pokemon.
5) Nothing different, really. Its a play choice. So long as they don't use illegal Pokemon, moves, items, etc in a battle, I'm perfectly fine with it.
6) Again, that is a play style. If its possible to obtain something, then I say let them use it.
7) Again, I'm fine with it. A cloned Pokemon is still a Pokemon...
8) I'm indifferent to this question. If I can obtain things, I obtain them. There are so many possibilities in the game that I highly doubt unless you really go looking, you can tell clones apart anyway.
+Quote Post

ThePaul
post Apr 18 2009, 12:04 PM
Post #38

The invasion has begun
Group Icon

Member No.: 9 560

Team Paunch!

But I luv my Flying Snorlax. All you people that outright say that using an Action Replay or Game Shark or whatever is stupid or wrong can watch me and my giant sleepy friend fly away ^_^.gif

--------------------
Claimed: primeape.gif

+Quote Post

DragonSpear
post Apr 19 2009, 02:19 AM
Post #39

The forums' idiot
Group Icon

Member No.: 11 308

I CLAIM SALAMENCE

I think cheating is probably okay if it is for cloning TMs. I mean like most TMs never actually is obtainable again in the game once used so yeah. Cloning pokemon is okay for trading/dex purposes, cos I'm not giving my shinies away.

Exploiting glitches is okay for me because you don't actually hack into the game to exploit it and it is entirely the producers fault that the glitch happenend in the first place.

I don't really like the idea of trading hacked pokemon because it shows that the hacker is just too lazy and doesn't take actual pride in collecting pokemon, so I think that trading hacks should be forbidden

I think people fully aware of hacked pokemon being traded to them shouldn't accept it because it can disrupt the game and also as mentioned earlier, they don't take any pride in collecting pokemon.

I think people who use Pokesav pokemon to battle others would be ok if the everybody enjoys it.

See #1

Personally I do. It just doesn't make me feel special about taking event pokemon from others knowing it is not the real copy.

walloftext.gif

--------------------
Thank you JelloJolteon, for my avatar
+Quote Post

Kaname Madoka
post Apr 23 2009, 12:36 AM
Post #40

housewife extraordinaire!
Group Icon

Member No.: 7 542

Team HG

Why do you think people cheat? - People cheat just to "be the best", to brag, to get things quickly, or to get things that are otherwise unobtainable.
Does exploiting glitches count as cheating, or does it depend on what exactly the glitch does? I don't know, really. I wouldn't count it as cheating, but others might, so..-Shrug.-
What do you think of people who trade hacked Pokémon? - I don't really care as long as you're only using said hacked Pokemon for personal use - ARing them to the max so you can pwn in the Battle Tower/Wifi isn't right.
What do you think of people who do not cheat themselves but will still accept hacked Pokémon from others knowing full well the Pokémon are hacked? - I don't see a problem with it. To each their own.
What do you think of the people who use Pokémon created by things like Pokésav to battle others? - I don't know what Pokesav is, so yeah.
What is your stance on cloned Pokémon? - Cloned Pokemon? Cool. Why not?
Do you think that cloned Pokémon devalue certain types of Pokémon (shinies, event Pokémon, etc.) - Yes, definitely.

On a personal level, I use my AR to get items and Pokemon that most people might be able to get via Wifi. Why? Because I don't have wifi, and unless someone wants to come over here and set me up with a wifi connection, I will continue to do so. I see no problem with hacking items/Pokemon as long as you're not using them to battle others, because then it's just not fair.

I'll occasionally hack shinies of Pokemon that I think look cool (Lopunny), because I go to college and work and don't have time to sit around chaining all day.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:03 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.