Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Common Misconceptions / Q&A thread
RyanK
post Dec 24 2007, 12:33 PM
Post #1

Celebi Celebrity
Group Icon

Group: Validating
Member No.: 117

Active Squad

Ok this is going to be a list thread of common misconceptions not only in DP but in pokemon in general so far I can only think of a few but if anyone can suggest any more of these or if you want to ask a question in this thread then I will try to answer it to the best of my ability.

ANYWAY now for the list I know it's a little empty now but as I go along I will add to it.

- Evolving something at a higher or lower level impacts stats.
The EVs and such even out as you go along so there is no difference whether you use that fire stone at level 5 or level 55. The only differences that occur are the moves you learn.

- Super Effective always = more damage.
Again not true. Now I'm not saying not to but using things like aerial ace on tyranitar to counter fighting types or something like that isnt always good because you should do STAB calculations (Same Type Attack Bonus gives a 1.5x boost to the base power of a move) and such to see how much you will do. Here's an example.

QUOTE(Smogon's RS Slaking analysis)
Why you shouldn't use Brick Break and Rock Slide on Slaking

I see a lot of newer players using Slaking, but many of them make the same common mistake over and over. They'll use moves like Brick Break or Rock Slide over Focus Punch. There is no reason for this. The moveset shown above (Return / Earthquake / Shadow Ball / Focus Punch) will deal with every single Pokémon in the game. If you predict them switching in something weak to Fighting, why would you need to Brick Break instead of Focus Punch? Predicting is a big part of Slaking, both when using it and playing against it, so expect lots of switches.

Let's take a look at Rock Slide first. What exactly do you need Rock Slide for? You have Return and Earthquake for Fire types, Return and Focus Punch for Ice types and finally Return alone will defeat all the Bug types in the game with an OHKO, save Shuckle, who will be defeated by multiple Returns or Earthquakes. You might think you need Rock Slide for Flying types, but what Flying types won't you be killing with Return anyways? Here are some damage calculations for Slaking's standard moves against Aerodactyl and Zapdos (typical flying types) as compared to the damage output by Rock Slide. These damage calculations are using a Slaking holding Choice Band.

Slaking's Return vs. Above Average Defense Zapdos
Minimum Damage: 323
Average Damage: 352
Maximum Damage: 380
Slaking's Rock Slide vs. Above Average Defense Zapdos
Minimum Damage: 318
Average Damage: 346
Maximum Damage: 373

In fact, Rock Slide does even less to the Zapdos by a few points than Return. There is no point to waste a needed move slot on Rock Slide in this case. Both Return and Rock Slide will kill the Zapdos in a single hit, though.
Slaking's Return vs. Standard Aerodactyl
Minimum Damage: 228
Average Damage: 248
Maximum Damage: 268
Slaking's Focus Punch vs. Standard Aerodactyl
Minimum Damage: 447
Average Damage: 486
Maximum Damage: 525
Slaking's Rock Slide vs. Standard Aerodactyl
Minimum Damage: 449
Average Damage: 488
Maximum Damage: 527

Even Return will take away an 82% average of Aerodactyl's HP. Both Rock Slide and Focus Punch are about equal in damage and easily kill Aerodactyl, but without Focus Punch you'll be lost against Pokémon like Skarmory. The only advantage of Rock Slide here is if you switch Slaking into Aerodactyl, and then need to OHKO it as it attacks. Aerodactyl is rare, and isn't the best switch in for Slaking, anyway, and as such there is no reason to use Rock Slide when Return and Focus Punch will take care of all flying types equally as well.

For Brick Break it's much of the same. People believe they need this to defeat Normals, Rocks and Steels when Slaking's existing moves will get the job done with the same efficiently and can cover even more Pokémon. Let's look at Snorlax right now and compare the damage done to it by Return and Brick Break.

Slaking's Return to Average Defense Snorlax
Minimum Damage: 379
Average Damage: 413
Maximum Damage: 446
Slaking's Brick Break to Average Defense Snorlax
Minimum Damage: 373
Average Damage: 406
Maximum Damage: 438

On average they will do about equal damage. Earthquake and Focus Punch will do more to Rock and Steel types than Brick Break will. It is common sense. The only advantage of Brick Break is to hit the extremely rare Cradily more than the three non-Focus Punch moves, but that is not worth it at all.

Newer players are obsessed with seeing the words "It's Super Effective" and don't bother looking at the damage powerful STAB moves will do, even at neutral damage. Against Skarmory, Focus Punch will do more damage than either Brick Break or Rock Slide mainly because of the Base Power. 150 as compared to 75 in both cases. Focus Punch will do double the damage in that case. When you are doing lots of damage, STAB means a lot more than "It's Super Effective" without STAB. Please don't use Brick Break or Rock Slide Slaking—it's not worth it.

- Countering a pokemon involves just hitting it with a super effective move or something that will kill it.
Countering a pokemon is being able to switch in on all or most of its attacks, or even just its main one and being able to get rid of it. Pidgeot isn't a heracross counter just because it's flying lol it can't take a hit for beans.

- Ubers and Legends are one and the same
Ubers are the pokemon like Kyogre, Soul Dew Latios/Latias, Mewtwo, etc. That are too powerful for the metagame or overcentralize it (sup wobbufett). Something most of them share is a 600+ BST (base stat total). Slaking has a 650 BST iirc but he isn;t uber since his ability holds him back and he doesnt overcentralize the metagame. Wobba is uber because it would cause everyone to need dugtrio, weavile, or spiritomb or something and has no counters really. Most legends, with the exception of Celebi, and Jirachi have 580 BST. For reference, Salamence, Tyranitar, Metagross, Garchomp, Dragonite all have 600 BST (as well as Celebi and Jirachi which are allowed in OU). Mew is banned because it can do anything well and is pretty much uncounterable except for being overpowered by something in the uber tier and Manaphy is banned because it requires people to have blissey and/or empoleon but even those are shaky counters at best.

- Legends are always better than non legendary counterparts.
Ok no lol. Stats aren't everything and some legends such as Entei, and articuno to a lesser extent well....suck lol. Entei has no movepool to speak of and articuno tries to be defensive with a shitty typing and double stealth rock weakness.

- Stats take precedence when choosing a pokemon.
Again with the legend example this isn't true. In addition to that the base power of a move tends to have more precedence over a stat advantage. Meaning Weavile will tend to do less damage than Infernape on average (ignoring type advantages and such) because while Weavile has 120 base attack, it's main moves of Ice Punch, Night Slash, etc. have lacking base power. (ice punch's bp is 75 * 1.5 = 112.5 rounded down = 112 bp is the strongest weavile can muster.

Infernape's 104 base attack is somewhat average but the high bp of its moves such as flare blitz, close combat and stone edge make up for it.

For example, I gave both Weavile and Infernape +Attack nature, Choice Band, 252 EVs in attack vs. 148 HP/252 Defense EVd Blissey with +Defense Nature

Infernape Flare Blitz

Defender HP: 688
Move Damage: 502 - 591
Damage: 72.97% - 85.90%

Weavile Ice Punch

Defender HP: 688
Move Damage: 347 - 409
Damage: 50.44% - 59.45%

Calculations done using Metalkid's Damage calculator, proven accurate and effective as he has done this for the other games as well and in addition the calculations are consistent to the game. (http://metalkid.info/Pokemon/OnlineProgram/Calculators/DamageDP.aspx)

- Skarmbliss is broken
Yes it's an annoyingly effective combination(especially blissey lol) But in DP it is definitely breakable you can use the powerful mixed sweepers this generation has introduced, such as Infernape, Mixed Salamence, Tyranitar, Lucario, etc. Or you can use magnezone and trap skarm and explode on bliss etc. Use your imagination but it's far from invincible in DP

Again if you have any questions or anything to add you can post in this thread but I am more accessible over AIM. My AIM s/n is: Sevenpiecesix.

Cheers.

--------------------
I use Wi-fi but my pokemon are hacked, but have things within the field of legality in the game. I also have shoddy battle and I'm waiting for competitor.
Also I claimed Vaporeon.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Big Bidoof
post Dec 24 2007, 12:38 PM
Post #2

Watching YOU
Group Icon

Group: Root Administrators
Member No.: 1

Active Squad

Looks good. *pin*

--------------------
"Java is to JavaScript as ham is to hamster."

+Quote Post

Blax8192
post Jan 30 2008, 07:20 PM
Post #3

Never turn down a really good pie...
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 961

Active Squad

some people think rock is immune to electric but it isn't, it's not very effective, only ground is immune to electric

--------------------
These are my Topics which you should read, but probably won't (click to showhide)
=mine
A glimpse into my mind(by clicking you are signing a waiver on your sanity) (click to showhide)
(\_/)
\(n.n)/
(")_(")
this is evil bunny, copy and paste him into your sig and help him keep bunny from taking over the world!!!
I didn't want to put this in tags but the length was bugging me . . . just open it (click to showhide)
+Quote Post

LittleShadowPoke...
post Aug 2 2008, 09:26 PM
Post #4

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 490

Sweet Team

I don't know if anyone else ever thought this, but here's a misconception I made recently.

Tauros can only breed with Ditto to get a Tauros, so Miltank must be the same way because it's always female. I never really thought about it too much, but when I did, I realized you could breed any male pokemon in the same egg group and get a Miltank. tongue.gif Silly me. I haven't done it yet, but that makes sense.

I also read that Nidoran (F) becomes sterile after evolution. Is this true?

--------------------
Me (click to show)

PANE (click to show)

Credits (click to show)
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Aug 2 2008, 11:49 PM
Post #5

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

Tauros can only breed with Ditto to get a Tauros, so Miltank must be the same way because it's always female. I never really thought about it too much, but when I did, I realized you could breed any male pokemon in the same egg group and get a Miltank. tongue.gif
From my viewpoint, it's not a misconception; you probably didn't know how exactly it worked. To me, a misconception is something like "Breeding a shiny ditto with any pokemon gets you a shiny version of that pokemon, it was like that in GSC" as opposed to that...

Nope.

--------------------
+Quote Post

RyanK
post Aug 10 2008, 01:45 PM
Post #6

Celebi Celebrity
Group Icon

Group: Validating
Member No.: 117

Active Squad

QUOTE(blax8192 @ Jan 30 2008, 08:20 PM) *
some people think rock is immune to electric but it isn't, it's not very effective, only ground is immune to electric

rock and electric are neutral to each other.

--------------------
I use Wi-fi but my pokemon are hacked, but have things within the field of legality in the game. I also have shoddy battle and I'm waiting for competitor.
Also I claimed Vaporeon.
+Quote Post

es gameplanet
post Oct 5 2008, 09:20 PM
Post #7

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 978

Blaziken's Alleanza

Q:My friend has very little(no) battling skills, so he uses a lot of UBERS (like ARCEUS with judgemen) and he doesn't think this is cheap... tell me if I'm wrong but I think it is extremly cheap.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Oct 5 2008, 09:30 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Active Squad

It's not cheap. It's just banned from standard play because of their pure power.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Master Houndoom
post Oct 6 2008, 09:16 AM
Post #9

Team Rogue: Houndoom
Group Icon

Member No.: 804

Uprising Mod

Actually, this is true. Nidorina and Nidoqueen cannot breed, however Nidoran (M and F), Nidorino and Nidoking CAN. There's not real reason given for it, it's just one of those goofy things, kind of like the Tauros problem. I mean, Volbeat (a male only pokemon) and Illumise (a female only pokemon that looks similar to Volbeat) can breed together and either get a volbeat or an illumise. Why can't Tauros and Miltank do the same?

--------------------
[align=center]Uprising Mod

||
Jaima Kuonji and Meiko Omura||Branwys Muphenz
[spoiler=Jaima's Gym Badges][/spoiler]
PANE

||
Jay Lange||Olivia Prewitt
Uprising

As of January 29, 2010, at approximately 7:50am CST, 2gamers helped me complete my pokedex!

:houndoom: I claim Houndoom! :houndoom: [/align]
+Quote Post

Kirvee
post Mar 22 2009, 02:14 AM
Post #10

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 4 882

Main Diamond Party

I think the biggest misconception by a lot of people is:

"Pokemon is only for little kids in 4th grade!" when in actual fact more than half the people who play Pokemon are either in Middle School, High School, or College or even older.

--------------------
Please click and care for my pets!

My GPX+

Also, I make sprites. Click here for my Sprite Shop.

+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Mar 22 2009, 10:37 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

Active Squad

Well that really doesn't have much to do with gameplay.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Dar Ksereth
post Apr 26 2009, 10:44 AM
Post #12

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 3 614

My favorite party

well, i have looked at serebii and smogon, but couldn't find this piece of info, so i'll ask it to you instead of making a whole new topic:

how do techniques like swords dance and screech work?, thei say the stat rose (+1) sharply (+2) or fell (-1) sharply (-2) but the game never tells by how much, could you give the formula for it?

--------------------
The One and Only

Viral

you are compelled to poke them.
+Quote Post

Neko Gato Kitty
post Jun 8 2009, 06:24 PM
Post #13

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 11 173

Active Squad

-6: 25% (of original stat)
-5: 29%
-4: 33%
-3: 40%
-2: 50%
-1: 67%
0: 100% (starting point)
+1: 150%
+2: 200%
+3: 250%
+4: 300%
+5: 350%
+6: 400%

I forgot where I got these numbers, but I had these copied onto my personal Pokemon FAQ for a quick reference.

--------------------

Magistream:
+Quote Post

BrainpanSonata
post Jul 11 2009, 06:47 PM
Post #14

Winged Psycho Juggler Vamp Kimono Mismagius Ninja Moon Etc RPer
Group Icon

From: Zooming through cyberspace, and often getting distracted by shiny, pixelated objects.
Member No.: 25 766

The Phantom Parade!

Here's an interesting fact that might be a common misconception: the damage negation between normal types and ghost types works both ways.

While it's well known that normal type offensive attacks don't work on ghost type pokemon, not many people may realize that ghost type offensive attacks don't work on normal type pokemon, either.

However, this isn't true with the damage dealt between fighting types and ghosts types- ghost type offensive moves will hit fighting type pokemon while fighting type moves don't affect ghost type pokemon.

--------------------

First-time novelist seeks dedicated, literate RPers for help with her work. Click this link if interested.

Scrubs RP is looking for RPers to join up! If you're a fan of Scrubs, or are otherwise interested, click the link in the previous sentence. (The RP has started, but we could always use someone to play Elliot or Carla... OC interns and long term patients also accepted.)
Party Link, RPs, & Other Stuff (click to show)
Groups I Am In (click to show)
+Quote Post

Daxdiv
post Jul 13 2009, 03:32 AM
Post #15

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 44 792

My Favorite

QUOTE(Jaima @ Oct 6 2008, 10:16 AM) *

Actually, this is true. Nidorina and Nidoqueen cannot breed, however Nidoran (M and F), Nidorino and Nidoking CAN. There's not real reason given for it, it's just one of those goofy things, kind of like the Tauros problem. I mean, Volbeat (a male only pokemon) and Illumise (a female only pokemon that looks similar to Volbeat) can breed together and either get a volbeat or an illumise. Why can't Tauros and Miltank do the same?

I think it might have to do with something in Gen II coding, and they decided to be consistent with that ever since, but I think that should be fixed, along with everyone that gained a baby form in the recent generation.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Izzy
post Aug 16 2009, 11:59 AM
Post #16

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 55 681

Active Squad

I'm not entirely sure about this...

Many people seem to think a baby Kangashkan is its own Pokemon, when its just, well, a baby Kangashkan that would grow to an adult, not evolve into one.

--------------------
Yeah, Please Ignore This For Now... (click to show)

^ Leads To My Party! ^

totodile.gif totodile.gif I Claim Totodile! Yay! totodile.gif totodile.gif
Fear It's Toto-Awesomeness!
+Quote Post

Abdication
post Aug 17 2009, 11:19 AM
Post #17

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 56 277

In-game Team

I read on Super Smash Bros. Brawl, that when Lucario uses Aura-based moves like Aura Sphere or Dark Pulse, it's more powerful then when other Pokemon use it. Does this have an effect in the games?

--------------------
isay.gif I say... whatever it is I'm saying.
+Quote Post

Black Ice
post Aug 17 2009, 10:50 PM
Post #18

A New Era
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 28

Active Squad

No.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Whispy
post Aug 30 2009, 12:13 AM
Post #19

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 51 401

Blue Nuzlocke

the moveset (return,Earthquake,Shadowball,Focus Punch) might have problems with a skarmory.

--------------------

+Quote Post

SoulSilverSwampe...
post Sep 1 2009, 02:53 PM
Post #20

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 45 301

My Faves =D

What are the differences between stats and IVs in the 2nd and 4th generations? I'm planning on using cheats to replicate my Crystal team onto Platinum, and I want to know any possible problems that will occur with copying stats.

--------------------

Spriter SoulSilverSwampert would like you to visit his sprite topic!

Clicky, please. =D

I have claimed Seviper, Shadow Ralts and Shadow Scyther.

Avatar's Pokemon design by me, drawn by Tramp.

Click the Digivice to feed my Digimon, too!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 02:26 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.