Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Pokemon for Teens, Should they make darker versions, rated E10+ and/or T?
Your Choice
[see the choices]
Should they? [ 132 ]  [74.16%]
Shouldn't they? [ 46 ]  [25.84%]
Total Votes: 178
Guests cannot vote 

Strange Bean
post May 13 2011, 07:44 PM
Post #101

Gentle Manne of Leisure
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 124 511

The Gentlemen.

I've seen this discussion many times, but every time there's been one question that I've never seen a good answer to. What would making the game 'more mature' add to the series? The answer I always ended up with was 'Nothing that couldn't be added by merely improving the game'. A more mature plot doesn't necessarily equal a better one, so if one would like a better plot, it'd probably be easier for them to simply make a better plot than radically change one of the core foundations of the series, that being the appropriate for all ages rating. As for the comments on Pokémon sustaining injury, I've heard that when one of the progenitors of the game was asked why the Pokémon fainted instead of dying, he made a comment about there being enough killing in the video game industry, a statement that is more true now than ever. If you genuinely feel that violence and realism make a game better, then Pokémon probably isn't for you. There are plenty of games like that out there, and I for one am pleased that they've avoided such subject matter in Pokémon games.

--------------------
My tumblr.

GPX+ | VDex
|
Beep boop, son.
Beep boop.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Tatzelwyrm
post May 13 2011, 11:35 PM
Post #102

Why do we always fight for the right of way, right away?
Group Icon

Member No.: 47 853

Active Squad

Well, just finished skimming a three year old topic, only a few mentions/acknowledgements of the manga.

Pokemon Special is about as dark as the series is going to get. People and pokemon do die in it (lol Steven), and it has an overall darker tone than the games or manga. I understand people are stressing they want a more mature pokemon game, but in all honesty, the liklihood of it happening is slim. Even with the pokemon label, it will probably be prone to tons of criticism, and not be received very well by the general public.

Besides, have any of you actually paid attention to the dex entries on some of the pokemon? They're fucking creepy when you actually think about it. Yamask, as a more recent example, is implied to have been human at some point in the past. Dex info states it still has memories of its former life, and the mask it carries used to be its face when it was still human. You're training something that was once human, what? Some game versions state that Drifloon essentially steals away children, though Pearl mentions it typically gets tugged around. HG/SS say that a child that mistake Drifloon for a balloon and hold onto it could end up missing. Banette is basically a cursed doll with strong feelings of hatred that inadvertently led to it coming to life/becoming a pokemon. Some versions says it looks for the child that abandoned it as a doll. Haunter sucks your life away if it licks you. Its lick also causes shaking that doesn't stop until you die. Duskull loves the sound of crying children, and won't give up chasing its victim until dawn. Staring into the crack on Shedinja's back or attempting to look into Dusclop's body is said to steal your spirit.

And there are probably a lot more examples than that. For a kid friendly game, some dex entries are just downright disturbing if you sit there and think about them for more than a second.

This post has been edited by Tatzelwyrm: May 13 2011, 11:37 PM

--------------------

The suppression of uncomfortable ideas
may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge;
it has no place in the endeavor of science.

- Carl Sagan
+Quote Post

SaphireShadows
post May 14 2011, 12:10 AM
Post #103

It's a Diiiinosaurus Line!
Group Icon

Member No.: 101 714

PANE Pokemon

I agree that the Dex entries are pretty creepy, but you never see them get played out in the games, which makes me kinda sad.

I've had a creepy idea for a Pokemon game stuck in my head for a while now. You'd be a trainer (you'd start out with either Espeon or Umbreon *shot* or some other Dark or Psychic type) in a town where people have been mysteriously disappearing. No one quite knows where these people went, but some firmly believe that the ghost-type Pokemon that live in the old mansion on the hill have something to do with it. You'd be asked to go into the mansion and investigate (seeing as you're apparently the only person willing to go in the building). In the mansion, you'd come across many different ghost Pokemon; mostly Ghastlys and Litwicks and such at the beginning. Then, you'd accidentally trip a switch, and go plummetting to the mansion's basement, where you'd find all the missing people's bodies. They look dead upon first glance, but closer inspection reveals they are in a state of suspended animation. You are startled in your inspection by a ball of light floating around the ceiling, which turns out to be the spirit of your next door neighbor. The spirit says that certain Pokemon in the mansion have stolen the spirits out of their bodies, and the only way to get them back is to defeat them. If they aren't defeated, they'll keep taking souls until there are no more people left in the entire town.

So then the screen cuts to black, and you're in the PokeCenter in town. You heal your Pokemon, and go back to the mansion. You fight your way through countless ghosts until you find one of the "Mini bosses" (Haunter, Banette, Sableye, Yamask, etc.). Once you defeat a mini boss, a portion of the souls stolen will go back to their bodies and be free to return to the town. You get to go back to town every time you defeat a mini boss to heal your Pokemon and go to the Poke Mart (you can also go during your "quest", but that will cause you to start all over again). You can talk to the people you've freed, and they will give you gifts as a way of saying thanks (A couple even give you more Dark/Psychic Pokemon, so be sure to talk to them all!). Once you've defeated all the mini bosses, it's time to go up against the Big Boss. You find it in the attic of the mansion. It's a Confagrigus! Apparently the owner of the mansion turned into a Yamask when he died and then evolved. He has become bitter and envious of the people in town because they are still human. So, as anticipated, he attacks you, and you fend him off with your team. If you win, Confagrigus calms down and decides to move on, leaving the mansion forever (and apparently all the other ghosts leave as well). If you lose, however, there's a short scene where Mr. Confagrigus eats your soul, and then you can try to defeat him again afterwards.

Of course, throughout the game, you'd be finding out about the deceased owner of the mansion and his tendencies to be a hermit, living all alone with his Shuppet in that big old mansion. You'd get some side quests too, going and retrieving things for people you've saved. But I've imagined it to look a bit like those scary ghost games for, like, PS3 and all that. Y'know, all the horror games that have the mood lighting and the things that sneak up behind you. I think that'd be a good game grin.gif

But yeah, it probably wouldn't be very popular *shrug* I'd buy it though x3

This post has been edited by SaphireShadows: May 14 2011, 12:13 AM

--------------------
PANE/Uprising (click to show)

Credits/Stalkin (click to show)

"I must be missing something here-" "Yes, a bloody sense of humor!"
+Quote Post

Kirvee
post May 14 2011, 12:26 AM
Post #104

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 4 882

Main Diamond Party

@Saph: I really like that game idea, actually o-o.

--------------------
Please click and care for my pets!

My GPX+

Also, I make sprites. Click here for my Sprite Shop.

+Quote Post

Tatzelwyrm
post May 14 2011, 12:55 AM
Post #105

Group Icon

Active Squad

Not bad. But I could foresee this possible scenario:

Mother sees the game, sees the pokemon label. "Oh, my kid loves pokemon, I'll get it for him." Or, maybe they wanted it and told their parents, whatever. Parent buys game because of the label, completely disregards the T rating on it. Later finds out about the content of the game, voices complaints/outrage about it.

This is why I believe a more mature pokemon game would not be received well, because the series is just too set in a "fun for everyone" state, that there's really no way out of it. People of all ages play the games, and it is perceived by many people as a kid's game. If something more mature came out, even if Nintendo slapped a huge warning on it about being darker than its more light-hearted pokemon games, parental outcry over content is inevitable. It's funny, because the ratings are supposed to help parents decide what games are and aren't suitable for their kids, but many of them don't pay attention to them anyway.

Also, for your game idea, make sure to add the Litwick line cat.gif Litwick pretends to be a guide for people while leeching their life energy, which become Litwick's own fuel. Lampent searches for spirits of the dead, and typically arrives the moment someone dies to steal their spirit. Chandelure can absorb spirits, which it burns with its flames, while leaving the body behind. It can also put its foes into a hypnotic state, which likely makes it easier to absorb the spirit of its foe.

Some pretty twisted stuff.

--------------------

- Carl Sagan
+Quote Post

SaphireShadows
post May 14 2011, 07:27 AM
Post #106

Group Icon

PANE Pokemon

That is very true, but it's still just fun to think up games like that, right?

Also: If the parents don't heed the rating on the box of a game it's their own fault if they later find out it's not for their eight year old kid. That's why it's there. And I hate it when people blatantly disregard a warning on a label, and then become outraged when they find out the product is a bit more "offensive" than they thought it out to be. It's your own fault, deal with it. Don't go thinking you can sue the company that made the product just because you're too stupid to actually read a freakin' box.

Anyways...yeah, I thought about the Litwicks and their evos. I was thinking they'd follow you around in the mansion and take away some of your HP (I think in this kind of game the trainer would also have to have HP) if you don't fend them off with your Pokemon in time. Some of 'em you wouldn't see until they're right behind you (makes you jump a little, like with all of the scarier games). If the trainer runs out of HP then he/she blacks out and winds up back at the town's PokeCenter, meaning you have to start the "quest" you were on all over again.

I think that Chandelure would be a pretty good mini boss for towards the end of the game. Like either right before Confagrigus, or a few back. I think that Drifblim would also be a good mini boss, and Dusknoir. And also, up in my earlier post where I said Haunter would be a mini boss, I meant Gengar ^^; How many mini bosses do you guys think there should be? Six? More? I think any more than Six and the game would get too tedious, because in my mind the mansion is like a maze, and getting to the mini bosses gets more difficult the farther into the game you go.

Also, the thing about people giving you more Pokemon: I think it'd be neat if they had two Pokemon they wanted to give you, and you could choose between which one you want the most. That way there'd be more variety in the teams you could have. For example:

Old Man: Thank you so much for saving us "Enter Name Here"! As a way to show my thanks, I'd like to give you one of these Pokemon. Oh, don't worry! I used to be a Trainer when I was your age, blah blah blah.

Which Pokemon will you take?
Abra
Poochyena
------
Somethin' like that. They'd always have to have both a Psychic and a Dark type so you could choose between the two.

Argh, now I wish I could make my own game. Wouldn't that be fantastic? I'd love to be able to do that.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Tatzelwyrm
post May 14 2011, 12:00 PM
Post #107

Group Icon

Active Squad

Oh of course, I wasn't implying otherwise. And you're completely right. Stories you hear from time to time about parents/critics raising a shitfit over a game's content, how bad it is for kids and whatnot, when it's like... rated M, come the fuck on. The game has that rating for a reason, why are you whining about your precious brats when they shouldn't even be playing the game in the first place? Take some initiative, do some research, learn to say no to your kid if they insist on having the game. Ah, but I digress..

Nintendo isn't really known for mature games though, so likely even if a darker pokemon game were green lighted, it would be third-party or something. Which I would be wary of from the start. Still, depending on how it was done, the concept might be neat.

--------------------

- Carl Sagan
+Quote Post

SaphireShadows
post May 14 2011, 12:06 PM
Post #108

Group Icon

PANE Pokemon

I think the darkest GAME that they've done is Colosseum. I mean, you were the bad guy before the game started, so you're lying to this girl that travels with you for half the game until someone from Team Snagem blurts out that you're one of them. I liked the Colosseum game, but it still doesn't have a plot that's in-depth enough for me.

I hope that they make another game like Colosseum for the Wii. I'm not sure how popular it was (I liked it a whole bunch grin.gif ), but I liked that it was for the Gamecube, and that it was 3D and whatnot. I hope that, if they do decide to make another Colosseum game, that they make it a little more serious. And put that awesome hover-motorcycle back in! That scooter from XD was just lame.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Detective Platyp...
post Feb 18 2012, 04:21 PM
Post #109

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 134 711

Active Squad

I don't think this would happen because kids would buy the game regardless of any warnings put on it that it was for an older audience and the pokemon company would be sued.

However, my opinion on the matter:
I think it would be great to have a pokemon game that was more mature in terms of topics/themes that make you think, plot with layers, things not always being 100% perfect in the end, etc. I don't think you necessarily need excessive violence or sex for that. In fact, I think having over the top gore would take away a lot of what many fans love about pokemon, for example the overarching themes of camaraderie in a team and fighting for the truth and putting things right in a corrupt world. Black and White definitely had more of that, which is why I enjoyed the game even though I didn't like most of the pokemon, but of course it was still geared mainly towards kids. Having a game with an older intended audience would allow for the entire game being more mature instead of just parts.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Dragonwish2
post Feb 18 2012, 06:38 PM
Post #110

Take a story and craft it well...
Group Icon

Member No.: 63 755

PANE Team

QUOTE(Detective Platypus @ Feb 18 2012, 03:21 PM) *
I don't think this would happen because kids would buy the game regardless of any warnings put on it that it was for an older audience and the pokemon company would be sued.

However, my opinion on the matter:
I think it would be great to have a pokemon game that was more mature in terms of topics/themes that make you think, plot with layers, things not always being 100% perfect in the end, etc. I don't think you necessarily need excessive violence or sex for that. In fact, I think having over the top gore would take away a lot of what many fans love about pokemon, for example the overarching themes of camaraderie in a team and fighting for the truth and putting things right in a corrupt world. Black and White definitely had more of that, which is why I enjoyed the game even though I didn't like most of the pokemon, but of course it was still geared mainly towards kids. Having a game with an older intended audience would allow for the entire game being more mature instead of just parts.

I would love that. Intricate plots; perhaps something along the adult lines of Nancy Drew? Mose of the 'evil' teams so far make me want to laugh at them, and I'm almost surprised no one does in the games. It'd be far more interesting to see truly creepy or mature things rather than straight-forward, everything ends well themes. Black and White suggest some of this, but they don't delve in enough to make it truly interesting. If anything, it's probably just confusing to the younger players and mockingly strange to older people. The games don't need blood/gore at every corner, but perhaps a more sinister twist would be interesting.

--------------------
Pane (click to show)

Percentages and Truths (click to show)
+Quote Post

Joxer
post Oct 4 2012, 03:33 PM
Post #111

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 175 081

Active Squad

I definatly think they should, make it a bit harder, and more kind of "evil plot" thing.. :P
+Quote Post

wolvenlied
post Jan 13 2013, 01:44 PM
Post #112

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 181 096

Pyromania

Maybe not so much blood and gore. I would however like to see a reboot of the pokémon anime that's for an older audience. I'm fed up with Ash, I've given up on the anime, I watched it when Pokémon first came out. Ash has been trying for over 10 years to be a pokémon master and he still isn't. It irks me that in every episode team rocket tries to steal pokémon. It's so predictable that they fail.

what about a series based on the mystery dungeons? or pokémon ranger? I'd like to see an anime based off pokémon conquest? they have so many spin off games

--------------------
+Quote Post

Ximex
post Jan 4 2017, 11:08 PM
Post #113

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 213 605

My favorite team

I feel like it should stay E, don't get me wrong, i would love a mature pokemon game, im glad Sun/Moon had a little more darker themes than past entries, but i feel that the developers would go wild with the mature themes while trying to keep it for a teenage audience and becoming an edgy mess like Shadow the Hedgehog became.

--------------------

Click the sprites above to enter my team at GPX+ ^_^.gif!
+Quote Post

Dat Geechy Pie
post May 29 2017, 06:48 AM
Post #114

Local Pokemon Go player
Group Icon

Member No.: 238 846

FlameRaiderz

I don't think they should. Pokemon is violent, but in a non-violent way, and it should stay like that. Pokemon ripping each other's eyes and insides out is definitely not stuff for people my age (I am 13 years old btw). The only way they can do this but still keep the series fine is to make Pokemon 'die' instead of 'faint'. But hey, you can still revive them, so no big deal!

This post has been edited by Dat Geechy Pie: May 29 2017, 06:51 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Jewelwriter
post May 29 2019, 10:12 PM
Post #115

Magician in training.
Group Icon

Member No.: 25 158

My Girls

I'm not sure if it would be good for a game that is for all ages to go brutal like that but I at least thank people for thinking it up at times and even the Pokemon company themselves for giving some strong good animation for it.

--------------------
Eggs & Pokemon (click to show)

Extras (click to show)
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:48 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.