Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Reply to this topicStart new topic
HG/SS Game corner, strategy
Reyo
post Mar 23 2010, 09:35 PM
Post #1

I'm in space...space...spacespace
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 30 281

space team

I'm procrastinating the E4 and grew tired of training my party, so I went over to the game corner to releieve my bordom when I found an almost foolproof way of playing the voltorb card game thing.

The basic setup is a 5 x 5 grid where you're told how many voltorbs and the added value of the cards in each row.

First what you do is flip over all of the cards in the rows that say they have 0 voltorbs since there's no harm in doing so. Next what you do is specifically look at the relationship between the number of voltorbs in each row, and the added value that makes up the cards in the row.

For any row where the values add up to 5, put a 1 on each card and then never click on them again. This is because you can either get a voltorb, or a one, so it's pretty much pointless. In addition, rows that have one voltorb and 5 as the value of the cards, it means there are 3 1s and a 2. Find the 2 in those rows, and make it to where you never click the other cards.

This next part is kinda hard to explain, since it requires mentally picturing the setup of the row, and it's almost completely different in each scenario.
Let's say a row has 2 voltorbs, and a 7 for the added value. You flip over two cards and they're both 2s. What you then do is mentally tell yourself that 2 of the remaining 3 are voltorbs, so the one left over needs to compensate and make the sum 7. You add up the values and you get 4, which means that there's still a 3 in there. Whether or not you go looking for it is up to you since you have to remember that you can still hit a voltorb.

Here's another example to better simplify it. Let's say there's only 1 voltorb and the added sum is 6. You pick 2 cards and it comes out to a 1 and a 2 while you have one of the cards marks with a 1, meaning you won't pick it. Right now you can treat the sum as a 4 since you already have a 1 and a 2, as well as a card that can either be a voltorb or a 1. That means you have two blank spots. You devote one to a voltorb, and you're left with one to add to the 4 to make 6, so you know that there has to be another 2 in there.

Hopefully I explained that simple enough. Now here's what I mark as priority to flip:

1. Rows with 0 voltorbs
2. Rows where the number of voltorbs and added value is 5
3. Rows with 1 voltorb and an added number of 5.

After that, I look back and flip cards based on any number of situations (number of cards I have vowed never to flip, rowns with high added values, etc.)

NOTE: If you ever get a game where there is a high number of voltorbs AND a high added value, leaves those for near the very end, though 9 times out of 10 I leave the game early and take whatever coins I have selected.

Ok, that's it.

--------------------
space...spacespace...wanna go to space...I'm in space...are we in space...I wanna into space, are you space? Uh oh, space police, stay cool. Space..space..space space..ba ba, ba, ba, bababa, ba, ba space. Dad, are you space? Yes, now we can be a family again. Space space...need...space...need a rocket...wanna buy a rocket? It's for space...need one...buy one from space store...space store...space...space...space supplies...space ship...space rocket...rocket..space...soup...space soup...from space cafe...space waiter there's a space fly in my space soup...spacespace....must...

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Hodou Masaka
post Mar 26 2010, 12:14 AM
Post #2

Maybe you've heard of me
Group Icon

Member No.: 86 662

Soul Silver

I love the Game corner game and all my time with it has led to basically the same strategy you use. I HAD to get good at it, because for my final team I need two Thunderbolt TMs and at least one Substitute.

The most important thing to remember is that you're looking for 2s and 3s, NOT Voltorbs. You will be MUCH better off if you stop trying to find every single Voltorb on the board and focus instead on getting as many Coins as possible. This ain't no Minesweeper, kids.

I find it useful to mark a row whenever there absolutely HAS to be a 2 or 3.

Ignore the following rows entirely:
-One voltorb, numbers add up to 4
-Two voltorbs, numbers add up to 3
-Three voltorbs, numbers add up to 2
-Four voltorbs, numbers add up to 1

Also, some numbers I found incredibly helpful to remember:

-If you have 2 squares to make a 4, it's not worth marking anything because it could be any of the three numbers.
-If you have 3 squares to make a 4, one of them HAS to be a 2.
-If you have 3 squares to make a 5, it's not worth marking anything because it could be any of the three numbers.
-If you have 4 squares to make a 5, one of them HAS to be a 2.

--------------------

Hodou Masaka -- Unconventional Trainer, Wannabe Gym Leader.
+Quote Post

methuselah alche...
post Mar 26 2010, 12:45 AM
Post #3

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 38 049

My Favorites

Thank you, this'll be helpful if I ever try that game again. lol I've just been playing the slots on my HG(or rather, just buying coins cuz I have no luck with the slots) cuz I was mad that they changed the game corner. And I sucked at the darn Voltorb game.

--------------------

Click the Timewarp Torchic to get to my party~

Blazikens made for me (click to show)

Credits for the Blazikens made for me (click to show)

Etc. (click to show)

+Quote Post

Hodou Masaka
post Mar 28 2010, 02:59 AM
Post #4

Maybe you've heard of me
Group Icon

Member No.: 86 662

Soul Silver

It's actually a much quicker way to get coins for free, if you know how to do it. grin.gif High payoffs from lv.3 onward.

One other thing I forgot to mention that's probably common sense... It's generally extremely safe to click on the squares where two rows intersect if the sum of both totals comes to 13 or higher. For example, a spot where a row with total 6 and a row with total 8 intersect is very likely to be a 2 or a 3, and less likely to be a 1 or a bomb.

--------------------

Hodou Masaka -- Unconventional Trainer, Wannabe Gym Leader.
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Apr 4 2010, 01:40 PM
Post #5

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

pinned, shit's cash

--------------------
+Quote Post

Rosalyn
post Apr 5 2010, 10:30 PM
Post #6

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 12 946

Faves

I'll be sure and try these stratagies. I've had horrible luck so far. I'll either somehow pick a voltorb as soon as the game starts or get to a point where I can't figure out anything else and then find a voltorb. It's like I home in on them. >>"

--------------------
+Quote Post

FancyGranola
post Apr 5 2010, 10:46 PM
Post #7

Elite Double Battler
Group Icon

Member No.: 80 673

Life

Rosalyn, you are not the only one that has this problem, I do too. I usually mess up even when the row shows 0 Voltorbs.

--------------------

Credits (click to show)
+Quote Post

Free Heart not H...
post Dec 30 2010, 05:16 PM
Post #8

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 66 492

Active Squad

Hehe I just use a voltob generator thing online :P

--------------------
+Quote Post

Hoolo
post Mar 31 2011, 03:23 AM
Post #9

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 27 361

Heartgold.

QUOTE(G1zStar @ Dec 31 2010, 12:16 AM) *
Hehe I just use a voltob generator thing online :P

This exists? ő.ő
Care to share?

--------------------

Deviantly,
DeviantArt Arts
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:34 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.