Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Racebending, Serious or Sillyness?
Annakyoyama358
post Jul 1 2010, 08:09 PM
Post #1

Captain of the KaiRei Ship
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9 269

My top 6 Most wanted

Racebending.com inspired this debate. Take a look at it, then post.

Long story short, do you think there was intent to discrimnate in this case (the casting of Last Airbender), and do you think it exists overall in the movie industry?
Discuss.

--------------------

Feel free to PM me if you'd like me to gift you any Level 1-8 trinket happy.gif

If you have these trinkets, please let me know what you'd like to trade!
- Zombified "B" Slab - Wymsified "W" Slab - Froakie Plushie - Dreamball Walker - Withered Gracidia Flower - Poochyena Chew

Ultimate Goal:
Complete the eevee.gif Eevee eevee.gif Evolutions.... AS SHINIES
jolteon.gif flareon.gif
Obtained:
vaporeon.gif umbreon.gif espeon.gif leafeon.gif glaceon.gif :sylveon:
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

FranDrinksTea
post Jul 1 2010, 08:13 PM
Post #2

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 52 897

Active Squad

Do you mean the choosing of the actors? Or like to everybody of that race in general? o3o;
-kinda lost here-

--------------------

blahblahblah

+Quote Post

Iconox
post Jul 1 2010, 08:22 PM
Post #3

Romantic Misanthropist
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 34 260

Legend League

Personally I hate taking anime, even fake anime like Avatar and making it live-action (it just ruins it imo). I did find it rather strange to cast Caucasians in a movie based on a series that took place in a fictional Asian setting; however, I can't really judge the creators for doing what they wanted to in their own movie.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Annakyoyama358
post Jul 1 2010, 08:37 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

My top 6 Most wanted

i mean the idea of racist casting, and specifically the idea that asian actors are underrepresented in hollywood.
baka's can't even get katara and sokka's hair right.
Frankly, i'd have applauded you know, ONE ASIAN ACTOR amoung the three main characters?

--------------------

- Zombified "B" Slab - Wymsified "W" Slab - Froakie Plushie - Dreamball Walker - Withered Gracidia Flower - Poochyena Chew

Ultimate Goal:
jolteon.gif flareon.gif
Obtained:
+Quote Post

Iconox
post Jul 1 2010, 08:57 PM
Post #5

Romantic Misanthropist
Group Icon

Member No.: 34 260

Legend League

I mean, there's rules that people of certain races should be in (ex. the spot of Big Mike in The Blind Side isn't historically accurate if it's played by somebody who's not African American).

--------------------

+Quote Post

Pokii
post Jul 1 2010, 10:26 PM
Post #6

Adorable Demonic Pinecone
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 2 319

ORAS Team

Simple: White kids identify with white kids. The target demographic is (presumably) the kids who watch the show on Nickelodeon, so what does that leave you with? A bunch of predominantly Caucasian children. And children best identify with things similar to themselves, so that's pretty much why they did it?

Now should they have done it? If you ask me, no. You're throwing all the multiculturalism and diversity that Avatar: The Last Airbender had right out the window just to make some money. But from what I've heard so far, that movie is one of the worst of the year anyway, so what do I care. I ain't gonna see it :V

But that's just Avatar. I'd say that in general it would depend on a lot of factors, for other situations. There are some cases where it's fine (i.e. The new Karate Kid being black vs. the old one being white) and others where it just shouldn't be messed with (like The Last Airbender).

--------------------
| | | | |

Make me an avatar!

Spoiler (click to showhide)
+Quote Post

Annakyoyama358
post Jul 1 2010, 11:25 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

My top 6 Most wanted

QUOTE(Pokii @ Jul 1 2010, 11:26 PM) *
Simple: White kids identify with white kids. The target demographic is (presumably) the kids who watch the show on Nickelodeon, so what does that leave you with? A bunch of predominantly Caucasian children. And children best identify with things similar to themselves, so that's pretty much why they did it?

Now should they have done it? If you ask me, no. You're throwing all the multiculturalism and diversity that Avatar: The Last Airbender had right out the window just to make some money. But from what I've heard so far, that movie is one of the worst of the year anyway, so what do I care. I ain't gonna see it :V

But that's just Avatar. I'd say that in general it would depend on a lot of factors, for other situations. There are some cases where it's fine (i.e. The new Karate Kid being black vs. the old one being white) and others where it just shouldn't be messed with (like The Last Airbender).

Problem with your logic pokii hun.
Caucasian kids are a far cry from the majority of children. There are way more 'minorities'. I guarentee that had the movie been half decent, every asian in the country would've loved to take their kids to it. And there are a hella lot more asians/hispanics/ect that this country realizes

--------------------

Ultimate Goal:
jolteon.gif flareon.gif
Obtained:
+Quote Post

Pokii
post Jul 2 2010, 05:27 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

ORAS Team

And that very well may be the case, but clearly in the eyes of the director and the studio, Caucasian children were their primary demographic. I can't think of any other reason they would go out of their way to replace the characters who are clearly of different Asian cultures with Caucasian actors. Katara is the best example I can think of for this, as the difference between her character on the show and the actor in the movie are the most startlingly different, at least I think.

That's my point.

--------------------
| | | | |

Make me an avatar!

+Quote Post

Dazmi
post Jul 2 2010, 05:37 AM
Post #9

Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 482

Active Squad

I have no idea if they had race in mind when they were casting the movie. For all I know, they might not have put any thought into that at all. In fact, I didn't even notice until now (after all, I never watched the cartoon).

Besides, it's The Last Airbender. I don't care if they decide to cast Caucasian actors instead of Asian actors.

This post has been edited by JohnRichard1991: Jul 2 2010, 05:38 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Pokii
post Jul 2 2010, 05:49 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

ORAS Team

Well M.Night Shamallamadingdong himself is Indian, so I doubt there was no thought of race for casting at all, especially not for something as culturally diverse as Avatar: The Last Airbender. I heard they did have their one token Indian person in Zuko. That, and that they made the Earth Benders actually Asian, or at least that's what I heard. I haven't seen the film, as I said earlier.

But if you don't watch the show, I don't expect you would have noticed it anyway...same for caring how they cast it. That's almost kind of a moot point, really unsure.gif

--------------------
| | | | |

Make me an avatar!

+Quote Post

Annakyoyama358
post Jul 2 2010, 11:20 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

My top 6 Most wanted

QUOTE(Pokii @ Jul 2 2010, 06:49 AM) *
Well M.Night Shamallamadingdong himself is Indian, so I doubt there was no thought of race for casting at all, especially not for something as culturally diverse as Avatar: The Last Airbender. I heard they did have their one token Indian person in Zuko. That, and that they made the Earth Benders actually Asian, or at least that's what I heard. I haven't seen the film, as I said earlier.

But if you don't watch the show, I don't expect you would have noticed it anyway...same for caring how they cast it. That's almost kind of a moot point, really unsure.gif

Zuko wasn't supposed to be indian. They're original Zuko bailed (it was JEsse Mcartney)

--------------------

Ultimate Goal:
jolteon.gif flareon.gif
Obtained:
+Quote Post

Pokii
post Jul 2 2010, 12:20 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

ORAS Team

QUOTE(Annakyoyama358 @ Jul 2 2010, 11:20 AM) *
Zuko wasn't supposed to be indian. They're original Zuko bailed (it was JEsse Mcartney)

Yes, I remember that. Thank god they got rid of him or it really would've been the worst movie of the year facepalm.gif

--------------------
| | | | |

Make me an avatar!

+Quote Post

Kintenbo
post Jul 2 2010, 12:57 PM
Post #13

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 93 853

Active Squad

I personally think that they just ran out of Asian actors willing to be in this movie. Not that things like that live action Dragon Ball Z movie or that live action Speed Racer movie gave people a bad impression or anything........... So, I don't think they were really trying to be racially provocative.

--------------------
OH NO!!!!! I'M TYPING UP A SIGNATURE!!!!! GUAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
+Quote Post

Reyo
post Jul 5 2010, 02:50 AM
Post #14

I'm in space...space...spacespace
Group Icon

Member No.: 30 281

space team

Personally, I find it rediculous to have this paranoia that Hollwood is planning some conspiracy against humanity by casting white people in a role "meant for asians." You either like Avatar, or you don't, but not liking the movie JUST BECAUSE of the fact that they got white actors to play the roles instead of asians is just as racist as people are trying to make hollywood out to be.

--------------------
space...spacespace...wanna go to space...I'm in space...are we in space...I wanna into space, are you space? Uh oh, space police, stay cool. Space..space..space space..ba ba, ba, ba, bababa, ba, ba space. Dad, are you space? Yes, now we can be a family again. Space space...need...space...need a rocket...wanna buy a rocket? It's for space...need one...buy one from space store...space store...space...space...space supplies...space ship...space rocket...rocket..space...soup...space soup...from space cafe...space waiter there's a space fly in my space soup...spacespace....must...

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-
+Quote Post

Pokii
post Jul 6 2010, 08:38 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

ORAS Team

QUOTE(Reyo @ Jul 5 2010, 02:50 AM) *
Personally, I find it rediculous to have this paranoia that Hollwood is planning some conspiracy against humanity by casting white people in a role "meant for asians." You either like Avatar, or you don't, but not liking the movie JUST BECAUSE of the fact that they got white actors to play the roles instead of asians is just as racist as people are trying to make hollywood out to be.

Well obviously not. However I've heard there are many flaws in the movie, and that was one that really bugged me. In fact, I was still planning on seeing it up until a few days when it came out and basically every review I heard about the movie said it was terrible.

--------------------
| | | | |

Make me an avatar!

+Quote Post

Reyo
post Jul 6 2010, 10:52 PM
Post #16

Group Icon

space team

QUOTE(Pokii @ Jul 6 2010, 09:38 PM) *
QUOTE(Reyo @ Jul 5 2010, 02:50 AM) *

Well obviously not. However I've heard there are many flaws in the movie, and that was one that really bugged me. In fact, I was still planning on seeing it up until a few days when it came out and basically every review I heard about the movie said it was terrible.

Yeah, I don't care if you hate a movie because it has shoddy acting or doesn't follow the plot, but something like "The main character was white instead of asian" is more racist than anything else.

--------------------
space...spacespace...wanna go to space...I'm in space...are we in space...I wanna into space, are you space? Uh oh, space police, stay cool. Space..space..space space..ba ba, ba, ba, bababa, ba, ba space. Dad, are you space? Yes, now we can be a family again. Space space...need...space...need a rocket...wanna buy a rocket? It's for space...need one...buy one from space store...space store...space...space...space supplies...space ship...space rocket...rocket..space...soup...space soup...from space cafe...space waiter there's a space fly in my space soup...spacespace....must...

+Quote Post

Pokii
post Jul 7 2010, 12:35 AM
Post #17

Group Icon

ORAS Team

Well like I said, that was something I could overlook had everything else not also sucked. But also...

How's that for racist?

--------------------
| | | | |

Make me an avatar!

+Quote Post

Reyo
post Jul 7 2010, 12:38 AM
Post #18

Group Icon

space team

QUOTE(Pokii @ Jul 7 2010, 01:35 AM) *
Well like I said, that was something I could overlook had everything else not also sucked. But also...

How's that for racist?

Not sure what you're trying to have me see.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Douken Sota
post Jul 7 2010, 12:49 AM
Post #19

Space Force? Pirate? Outlaw sounds nice...
Group Icon

Member No.: 17 104

PANE

QUOTE(Reyo @ Jul 6 2010, 10:38 PM) *

How's that for racist?

If I am seeing the Image right, you got three White people going after an Indian person....

--------------------
Let the Kishin Egg take you to my GPX+ Team.
+Quote Post

Reyo
post Jul 7 2010, 12:52 AM
Post #20

Group Icon

space team

QUOTE(Douken Sota @ Jul 7 2010, 01:49 AM) *
QUOTE(Reyo @ Jul 6 2010, 10:38 PM) *

How's that for racist?

If I am seeing the Image right, you got three White people going after an Indian person....

So then what...Hollywood is trying to send a hidden agenda in reference to the war in the middle east through The Last Airbender?

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:10 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.