Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Abstinence or safe sex?, ...regular sex?
SEX
Sex v no sex
Chastity [ 4 ]  [13.33%]
Protected sex [ 23 ]  [76.67%]
Regular, baby maken sex [ 2 ]  [6.67%]
Sex is gross! What are you, insane? [ 1 ]  [3.33%]
Total Votes: 30
Guests cannot vote 

Rumn
post Aug 3 2010, 08:17 PM
Post #21

Cooltrainer
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 71 933

Raburabu~

Wow, I should check out that shot...

But as long as there's an understanding/agreement between the two of what exactly they're doing. Like, a one night stand or what not, then as long as you both get tested (if either has ever done it before), go wild. Of course, condoms are also really good protection against those, so it's like two birds with one stone....

And with the argument that there's enough kids in the world... that's true, but think of how they're spread.... A high percentage of kids are in developing countries, and below the poverty line...

So in the societies WE live in, we usually have a lack of children.... My country in particular has a lower birth rate than death rate - our society really would be getting smaller and smaller if it wasn't for all the migrants coming here.

--------------------
~*GPX+:*~
~~ ~ ~ ~~
~~ Party Violet Dragonite with First Hatch-chan and First Shiny-kun~~
~Shinies~ (click to show)
~Kreativ~ (click to show)
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Crystal Shards
post Aug 3 2010, 08:17 PM
Post #22

Iced Out
Group Icon

Member No.: 250

Favorites

For school:

Safe sex discussions should include abstinence by default. But forcing someone to have abstinence-only education is setting them up for failure... It actually raises rates of STDs because teens will do oral or anal sex because they think that's not "real" sex (and why would they think that? They don't know any better.). Also, because they don't know about contraception as well as people who have actual sex education, they likely won't do any if they "slip up" and end up doing the deed.

Additionally, kids need to be taught about gay sex. Why? Some of them might be gay, and they might (wrongly) think that that contraception stuff only applies to straight folk since they can't have kids if two dudes do it.

But yeah I think abstinence should be touted, just along with information on how to have safe sex if you're gonna do it. That includes finding out where you can get contraception, including Plan B. And honestly I think seeing pictures of gonorrhea, chlamydia, and all those other pleasant little STDs would discourage kids from practicing unsafe sex. So would learning what REALLY goes into raising a kid, and I don't mean carrying around sugar bag babies. I mean learning how much it costs a year, what you have to do, the tests you have to go through when pregnant, child support costs, etc. Sure as hell would make me wanna say, "No glove, no love."

As for my personal beliefs on sex:

Safe sex is the best option. Abstinence doesn't tend to lead to rape but it does tend to lead to a lot of weird perversion, since in and of itself abstinence is sexual perversion (perversion being against nature here--it's natural to want sex since it's a biological desire). If you don't really have a sex drive, abstinence is fine, but as the Catholic priest scandals show you, having a sex drive is a problem if you're forcing yourself to be abstinent, especially for life. One night stands are fine as long as both have the same expectations for what happens after the night is over. The same thing goes with friends with benefits. Personally, I've never had sex with someone I wasn't in some kind of a relationship with, and I've been tested for AIDS and do that stuff regularly.

I've been on Depo Provera and yeah it's healthy but the side effects took their toll on me (I was one of the unfortunate ones on a constant period and one point and it gave me depression and fucked me up emotionally... and it's not like you can stop taking it since it's a shot that works for three months). I've also been on Nuva Ring in the past and right now I'm on Microgestin. They've worked fine. I've also used Plan B before as well. (It doesn't make you a slut, by the way, so don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I know plenty of people who have used it and I was in a monogamous relationship, as I always am with sex. Sometimes stuff comes up that you weren't planning, hence the name.) And of course using a condom adds that much more protection (although, contrary to popular belief, "doubling up" (wearing two condoms) is actually a BAD idea because it breaks the condoms a lot easier, making it more risky (and expensive) than just wearing one that fits you.)

In short, knowing what to do and where to go has saved me a lot of grief. Safe, knowledgeable sex. Good times.

--------------------
Administrator of Mercury Ice Forums

I click full party even after you switch out Pokemon.

DieHard GameFAN
+Quote Post

Annakyoyama358
post Aug 3 2010, 09:19 PM
Post #23

Captain of the KaiRei Ship
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 9 269

My top 6 Most wanted

QUOTE(Reyo @ Aug 3 2010, 08:17 PM) *
Well as long as it's a normal side effect of the pill I see no issue with it. I just remember that women also lose their periods when they have too low a percent body fat, which usually ends with infertility (which is considered a health risk to some people). If the ovulation continues if you stop taking the pills then there shouldn't be an issue with it.

PS, I figured it was birth control since you said that you stopped using a condom after starting it. I've just never heard of one that stops ovulation. It's all fine though.

It's a side effect of any hormonal birth control. Some girls get it, some don't. With the pill, your 30 days of pills are 1/4 sugar pills that do NOTHING because some girls get nervous and panic about pregnancy if they don't get their period. Those of us who don't panic at the slightest sign of nausea/cramps/ect will often not mind the no period thing, or take a pill every day to INSURE it.

But you're right, low body fat causes it, but that is actually because without a small amount of fat, your body doesn't have the amino acids to produce hormones, and then your reproductive system goes screwy. Totally different case. Birth control = steady levels of hormones, as to make babies estrogen and progesterone levels have to fluctuate, whereas low body fat = no hormones at all = bad

QUOTE(Crystal Shards @ Aug 3 2010, 09:17 PM) *
I've been on Depo Provera and yeah it's healthy but the side effects took their toll on me (I was one of the unfortunate ones on a constant period and one point and it gave me depression and fucked me up emotionally... and it's not like you can stop taking it since it's a shot that works for three months). I've also been on Nuva Ring in the past and right now I'm on Microgestin. They've worked fine. I've also used Plan B before as well. (It doesn't make you a slut, by the way, so don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I know plenty of people who have used it and I was in a monogamous relationship, as I always am with sex. Sometimes stuff comes up that you weren't planning, hence the name.) And of course using a condom adds that much more protection (although, contrary to popular belief, "doubling up" (wearing two condoms) is actually a BAD idea because it breaks the condoms a lot easier, making it more risky (and expensive) than just wearing one that fits you.)

In short, knowing what to do and where to go has saved me a lot of grief. Safe, knowledgeable sex. Good times.

Eugh, I was warned of that possible side effect when I started it. I feel for you, that must've sucked for 3 months.

microgestin = form of the pill, right?

There's nothing wrong with using plan b. I've never understood people's problem with it.

--------------------

Feel free to PM me if you'd like me to gift you any Level 1-8 trinket happy.gif

If you have these trinkets, please let me know what you'd like to trade!
- Zombified "B" Slab - Wymsified "W" Slab - Froakie Plushie - Dreamball Walker - Withered Gracidia Flower - Poochyena Chew

Ultimate Goal:
Complete the eevee.gif Eevee eevee.gif Evolutions.... AS SHINIES
jolteon.gif flareon.gif
Obtained:
vaporeon.gif umbreon.gif espeon.gif leafeon.gif glaceon.gif :sylveon:
+Quote Post

Reyo
post Aug 3 2010, 09:27 PM
Post #24

I'm in space...space...spacespace
Group Icon

Member No.: 30 281

space team

QUOTE(Annakyoyama358 @ Aug 3 2010, 10:19 PM) *
It's a side effect of any hormonal birth control. Some girls get it, some don't. With the pill, your 30 days of pills are 1/4 sugar pills that do NOTHING because some girls get nervous and panic about pregnancy if they don't get their period. Those of us who don't panic at the slightest sign of nausea/cramps/ect will often not mind the no period thing, or take a pill every day to INSURE it.

But you're right, low body fat causes it, but that is actually because without a small amount of fat, your body doesn't have the amino acids to produce hormones, and then your reproductive system goes screwy. Totally different case. Birth control = steady levels of hormones, as to make babies estrogen and progesterone levels have to fluctuate, whereas low body fat = no hormones at all = bad

Yeah, I know how the whole "low body fat" thing works, but this is the first time I'm learning of the ins and outs of birth control that isn't latex. They don't exactly go into that much detail in Health class (which was probably a good thing since my 8th grade mind would have probably imploded).

--------------------
space...spacespace...wanna go to space...I'm in space...are we in space...I wanna into space, are you space? Uh oh, space police, stay cool. Space..space..space space..ba ba, ba, ba, bababa, ba, ba space. Dad, are you space? Yes, now we can be a family again. Space space...need...space...need a rocket...wanna buy a rocket? It's for space...need one...buy one from space store...space store...space...space...space supplies...space ship...space rocket...rocket..space...soup...space soup...from space cafe...space waiter there's a space fly in my space soup...spacespace....must...

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-
+Quote Post

SilentHillFourta...
post Aug 3 2010, 10:17 PM
Post #25

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 77 626

Active Squad

QUOTE(Reyo @ Aug 3 2010, 10:27 PM) *
They don't exactly go into that much detail in Health class (which was probably a good thing since my 8th grade mind would have probably imploded).

I know, and we have all-out sex ed in my school system; the main Health classes are in 7th and 9th/freshman grades. I also took a female-only class that was a combination of P.E. and Health, and I still didn't know half of what I've read in this thread.

(There really should be more in-depth sex ed in Health classes for everyone, but that's another debate.)

On topic, I'm not sure of my opinion, as the pre- or post-marriage arguments are religion-related (marriage itself is a religious union) and who am I to say whether people are intelligent about protection or not? To each his/her own, I suppose; each person/couple/whatever ought to look carefully at all of their options, make decisions that will be the most beneficial to them, and be willing to accept any consequences. I guess you could call that a vote for safe sex, but I dunno myself.

(Personally, I am 100% not interested in romance/relationships/sex/etc., and I hate my period, so I ought to look into no-period birth control. First-day cramps are killer enough that if my period starts on a school day, I have to stay home so I can take medication for the pain. Anyone know if that could be related to my being overweight?)

This post has been edited by FourTaledKitsune: Aug 3 2010, 10:19 PM

--------------------
No longer active on this site or on GPX+.
+Quote Post

Reyo
post Aug 4 2010, 12:03 AM
Post #26

I'm in space...space...spacespace
Group Icon

Member No.: 30 281

space team

QUOTE(FourTaledKitsune @ Aug 3 2010, 11:17 PM) *
I know, and we have all-out sex ed in my school system; the main Health classes are in 7th and 9th/freshman grades. I also took a female-only class that was a combination of P.E. and Health, and I still didn't know half of what I've read in this thread.

(There really should be more in-depth sex ed in Health classes for everyone, but that's another debate.)

On topic, I'm not sure of my opinion, as the pre- or post-marriage arguments are religion-related (marriage itself is a religious union) and who am I to say whether people are intelligent about protection or not? To each his/her own, I suppose; each person/couple/whatever ought to look carefully at all of their options, make decisions that will be the most beneficial to them, and be willing to accept any consequences. I guess you could call that a vote for safe sex, but I dunno myself.

(Personally, I am 100% not interested in romance/relationships/sex/etc., and I hate my period, so I ought to look into no-period birth control. First-day cramps are killer enough that if my period starts on a school day, I have to stay home so I can take medication for the pain. Anyone know if that could be related to my being overweight?)

Well...it's debatable, but I've heard from a bunch of my professors that women have more body fat for the purpose of procreation, though I wouldn't know what constitutes as a normal amount of pain in ovulation cramps, so I can't really conclusively relate overweightedness to feeling too much pain during cramping.

click (click to show)

Though what I can say is that it wouldn't surprise me.

This post has been edited by Reyo: Aug 4 2010, 12:05 AM

--------------------
space...spacespace...wanna go to space...I'm in space...are we in space...I wanna into space, are you space? Uh oh, space police, stay cool. Space..space..space space..ba ba, ba, ba, bababa, ba, ba space. Dad, are you space? Yes, now we can be a family again. Space space...need...space...need a rocket...wanna buy a rocket? It's for space...need one...buy one from space store...space store...space...space...space supplies...space ship...space rocket...rocket..space...soup...space soup...from space cafe...space waiter there's a space fly in my space soup...spacespace....must...

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-
+Quote Post

Crystal Shards
post Aug 4 2010, 02:16 PM
Post #27

Iced Out
Group Icon

Favorites

QUOTE(Annakyoyama358 @ Aug 3 2010, 09:19 PM) *
Eugh, I was warned of that possible side effect when I started it. I feel for you, that must've sucked for 3 months.

There's nothing wrong with using plan b. I've never understood people's problem with it.

Yes, microgestin is a pill. The kind I'm on doesn't have sugar pills with it, so you just don't take it for a week. Which I don't really like, because I think the sugar pills are actually mostly there to make sure you don't get out of the habit of taking them.

And I agree with the Plan B thing. I have heard people say only sluts use it and it irked me before I had even used it.

--------------------

DieHard GameFAN
+Quote Post

Annakyoyama358
post Aug 4 2010, 09:56 PM
Post #28

Captain of the KaiRei Ship
Group Icon

Member No.: 9 269

My top 6 Most wanted

QUOTE(FourTaledKitsune @ Aug 3 2010, 11:17 PM) *
QUOTE(Reyo @ Aug 3 2010, 10:27 PM) *
They don't exactly go into that much detail in Health class (which was probably a good thing since my 8th grade mind would have probably imploded).

It can if you're OBESE and your weight throws your hormones off. And that's only i your UBER over weight.
And in that case, hormone based protection won't work. I was told by my doc that if I ever went past 200 lbs (i'm about 130, but i've been struggling. I was 105 a few years ago) that depo qould cease to work, and that there are similar thresholds for other hormonal meds (pill/ect) depending on your BMI
But I tell you, the pill does wonders for cramps even if you take it the sugar pill way.

QUOTE(Crystal Shards @ Aug 4 2010, 03:16 PM) *
QUOTE(Annakyoyama358 @ Aug 3 2010, 09:19 PM) *

Yes, microgestin is a pill. The kind I'm on doesn't have sugar pills with it, so you just don't take it for a week. Which I don't really like, because I think the sugar pills are actually mostly there to make sure you don't get out of the habit of taking them.

And I agree with the Plan B thing. I have heard people say only sluts use it and it irked me before I had even used it.

Point 1: Yes, the sugar pills are there for airheads like me that will 100% forget

Point 2:
Fuck those people. Seriously.

--------------------

Feel free to PM me if you'd like me to gift you any Level 1-8 trinket happy.gif

If you have these trinkets, please let me know what you'd like to trade!
- Zombified "B" Slab - Wymsified "W" Slab - Froakie Plushie - Dreamball Walker - Withered Gracidia Flower - Poochyena Chew

Ultimate Goal:
Complete the eevee.gif Eevee eevee.gif Evolutions.... AS SHINIES
jolteon.gif flareon.gif
Obtained:
vaporeon.gif umbreon.gif espeon.gif leafeon.gif glaceon.gif :sylveon:
+Quote Post

Crystal Shards
post Aug 4 2010, 10:34 PM
Post #29

Iced Out
Group Icon

Favorites

QUOTE(FourTaledKitsune @ Aug 3 2010, 10:17 PM) *

You probably want to go to your doctor to see about your options, because it really could be anything. Weight may play a part, yes, but it may also be a hereditary thing (you don't mention if relatives have similar issues). Quality of nutrition and amount of exercise you do may also be a factor--those with better nutritional habits and those who exercise more (but not too much) often have less problems with cramping. I know my cramping gets pretty bad but when I exercise regularly it's not really a problem. Stress can also be a factor.

But yeah, the pill is a great idea if you have problems regulating your period (last year I had a period for over a month, so... I mean it happens) and if you have cramping issues. The pill usually at the very least makes your periods lighter, but if you ever become sexually active it's nice to at least have a period. (If you don't have a period and you're sexually active you probably should stock up on pregnancy tests to use monthly if you like to be on the safe side.) It's usually a win-win situation though.

--------------------

DieHard GameFAN
+Quote Post

SilentHillFourta...
post Aug 5 2010, 09:32 PM
Post #30

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 77 626

Active Squad

Well, my eating/exercise habits help to explain why I'm overweight in the first place (other than genetic predisposition), so that's probably it. (My doctor's been on my back about regular exercise anyway, so....) I also asked my mom, and she said her symptoms used to be pretty bad too.

I think I could tolerate my period so much more if it weren't for the first-day cramps and fatigue. And I seem to have a reflex against swallowing pills (I just can't do it, for whatever reason), so I usually have to resort to liquid ibuprofen instead of Midol (which I have, but like I said, I can't swallow pills). I would still like to talk to my doctor about the options that would be available to me; I'll talk to my mom too.

(I'd want to talk to my doctor before starting birth control anyway, wouldn't I? Makes sense to me.)

--------------------
No longer active on this site or on GPX+.
+Quote Post

Crystal Shards
post Aug 6 2010, 09:50 PM
Post #31

Iced Out
Group Icon

Favorites

It's recommended you have a pap smear first in most cases, so yeah, you'd probably need to talk to your doctor.

--------------------

DieHard GameFAN
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:47 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.