Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Afterlife..., Do you think there is one?
Blizzard
post Feb 25 2010, 08:46 PM
Post #1

Skymins PWN
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 28 624

DayNight

(First off, I searched this forum and didn't find anything like this, but I might have missed something)

Okay, as the title says, do you believe in an afterlife?

I think there is some kind of afterlife. We were having a discussion in one of my classes about this. We're studying egypt, and how the Pharaohs were buried with their belongings and such. Our teacher explained that many other civilizations have had the same concept of a life after death. So I was thinking, if so many people thought it existed, couldn't there be some semblance of truth to it?

If you do post, it would be nice if you elaborated instead of just, "The bible says there is heaven so there is."

--------------------
[[Insert Signature Here]]
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Wishful Jirachi
post Feb 25 2010, 08:49 PM
Post #2

Why must all things die...even this?
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 16 447

~HELLO~

I like to think that there is something after death, but I am not certain. Of course when I die it will just end but I don't want it to. If I forget everything if we are reborn then I can live with that but after dieing if for some reason everything just went poof, that would suck. Having a heaven where you actually get to meet everyone that passed that you knew would be a great place but in the end it builds for more sadness cause if you are reborn then you just leave again. It's a continuing cycle if those two facts do occur.

--------------------
Hey. Dark, Arcy if you see this, you can find me (Wishie) here:
https://www.madisonrenae.com/
https://www.facebook.com/madison.pontenberg/
+Quote Post

Annakyoyama358
post Feb 25 2010, 11:37 PM
Post #3

Captain of the KaiRei Ship
Group Icon

Member No.: 9 269

My top 6 Most wanted

I won't comment on what I think, but i'll point out that just because people believe something doesn't make it true. People believe things that make them feel better, regardless of if it makes any fucking sense.

--------------------

Feel free to PM me if you'd like me to gift you any Level 1-8 trinket happy.gif

If you have these trinkets, please let me know what you'd like to trade!
- Zombified "B" Slab - Wymsified "W" Slab - Froakie Plushie - Dreamball Walker - Withered Gracidia Flower - Poochyena Chew

Ultimate Goal:
Complete the eevee.gif Eevee eevee.gif Evolutions.... AS SHINIES
jolteon.gif flareon.gif
Obtained:
vaporeon.gif umbreon.gif espeon.gif leafeon.gif glaceon.gif :sylveon:
+Quote Post

JameAlec
post Feb 26 2010, 03:06 AM
Post #4

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 79 174

Favorites

I have absolutely no idea if there is an afterlife or not. I'm an atheist, but I've had enough strange and inexplicable things happen to me that I try to keep an open mind about what's possible.

I would certainly like for there to be an afterlife. The idea of just rotting isn't appealing at all. Which IMO is probably why the vast majority of civilizations have an answer to what happens to you after you die; nobody wants to tell their kids "They put you in the dirt and you rot".

But since what is true is not determined by what I would like to be true... I'll let you know after I die. wink.gif
+Quote Post

Ravelle
post Feb 26 2010, 08:23 AM
Post #5

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 31 144

Super Homies.

I'm not a regilous person so I don't believe in things like Heaven and Hell, not trying to be harsh to Christian religion but it was writted by men for their own make-beliefe happyness.

Maybe there is an afterlife but in an whole different concept then menkind thinks.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Ya Boi Bangs
post Feb 26 2010, 01:45 PM
Post #6

its ya boi Bangs
Group Icon

Member No.: 4 065

Active Squad

I get the feeling that there is a form of afterlife, but I can't really say what it is. Due to different circumstances of death and not enough evidence with religion, I wouldn't say there is a clear idea of afterlife at the moment.

--------------------

She is beautiful, in every single way~

In life you cannot press rewind
You only have one first chance
To make one first impression
That lasts a lifetime

I existed in a womb, just like an abyss
Came from behind the sun, my hands balled in a fist
Punching on my moms stomach, kicking on her cervix
Twitching cause I'm nervous
Though my intended purpose
Was to be born to reign
+Quote Post

Blizzard
post Feb 26 2010, 05:11 PM
Post #7

Skymins PWN
Group Icon

Member No.: 28 624

DayNight

I'm not saying there's a heaven or hell, and I know saying something doesn't really make it so. But sometimes I sit and think what it would be like to just... stop existing, and I truly don't think that happens.

I don't know what form this afterlife would take, I'm not religious and I don't share any of those beliefs, but I just think that we can't just not exist anymore, that there has to be something else.

This post has been edited by Blizzard: Feb 26 2010, 05:14 PM

--------------------
[[Insert Signature Here]]
+Quote Post

Gati
post Mar 3 2010, 01:03 AM
Post #8

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 056

Active Squad

Wether it is reincarnation, heaven, hell or other afterlife I really hope not

If I believed in an afterlife I would've killed myself a long time ago.

--------------------
[spoiler=GTS+PL Badges][align=center] [/spoiler][/align]
+Quote Post

miss listliss
post Mar 6 2010, 05:10 PM
Post #9

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 87 400

ready, set, go!

i don't, really.
i think it would be cool if after you died you could just dream for eternity, but i'm not sure what will happen or if anything will happen at all. i'm atheist and don't believe in any savior or any second lives (i would be terrified if i have to go through life again), but still, it's a little daunting to think there's a big black emptiness waiting for me at the end of all this.
but hey, not believing in an afterlife makes me enjoy the here and now, since it's the only chance i have.

--------------------
i'm not a ladies man, i'm a landmine.

+Quote Post

crimsonskies
post Mar 9 2010, 05:58 PM
Post #10

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 27 486

Active Squad

For me, it depends on how I feel that day. Some days I believe in a great void of nothingness where there's nothing but your thoughts, others I believe in something similar to Heaven. Some days I believe there's absolutely nothing, and others I believe in reincarnation. *sigh* I guess I need to get my thoughts in order, huh? Lol.

At the moment I'm pretty much feeling, "I'll be dead, does it really matter?"

--------------------
+Quote Post

Chu Chu
post Mar 9 2010, 10:13 PM
Post #11

Elite Four
Group Icon

Member No.: 76 449

Active Squad

I dont know. Maybe. I always wonder what happens when you die.
+Quote Post

Sleeptime
post Mar 10 2010, 04:57 PM
Post #12

Overlord of All Things Paradoxical
Group Icon

Member No.: 46 400

it is a mystery

I believe that there is an afterlife when you die.
Although at times, I feel that it's reincarnation.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Sarge
post Mar 20 2010, 01:31 AM
Post #13

is one hoopy frood
Group Icon

Member No.: 11 406

Some of my Faves

There's no evidence for an afterlife... at all. So no, I don't believe in an afterlife. I do believe that individuality is an illusion however and, when we die, all that we lose is our individuality (and our consciousness, of course). So I think people are "reincarnated" for lack of a better word. Nothing of the individual person is left, nothing for us to remember of our previous life and, indeed, nothing left of ourselves. This is very difficult to explain and I'm not even sure why I'm trying. I've had this idea for a while now, and I keep thinking that it should stay an idea because I've never been able to explain it adequately.

I don't believe humans have souls. I could be wrong about this. If I am wrong, then it seems that the soul is separate from the mind entirely and even the individual, because our personalities are so elastic and easily changed. Head trauma alone can cause a dramatic change in personality simply because of the damage done to the brain. If the soul had anything to do with personality this wouldn't happen.

--------------------
.:: You click; I click. ::.

I'm a college student. Be patient!
==| Sarge uses your Poke'mon's favorite berry |==

yay quizzes (click to show)

+Quote Post

Reyo
post Mar 20 2010, 01:40 AM
Post #14

I'm in space...space...spacespace
Group Icon

Member No.: 30 281

space team

I believe in the afterlife like I believe in my future success.

There's no proof of it, but I'd sure as hell like it to happen.

--------------------
space...spacespace...wanna go to space...I'm in space...are we in space...I wanna into space, are you space? Uh oh, space police, stay cool. Space..space..space space..ba ba, ba, ba, bababa, ba, ba space. Dad, are you space? Yes, now we can be a family again. Space space...need...space...need a rocket...wanna buy a rocket? It's for space...need one...buy one from space store...space store...space...space...space supplies...space ship...space rocket...rocket..space...soup...space soup...from space cafe...space waiter there's a space fly in my space soup...spacespace....must...

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-
+Quote Post

Picanco
post Mar 20 2010, 09:55 PM
Post #15

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 4 847

My Favorites

QUOTE(Sarge @ Mar 20 2010, 01:31 AM) *
I don't believe humans have souls. I could be wrong about this. If I am wrong, then it seems that the soul is separate from the mind entirely and even the individual, because our personalities are so elastic and easily changed. Head trauma alone can cause a dramatic change in personality simply because of the damage done to the brain. If the soul had anything to do with personality this wouldn't happen.

Wow... I've never heard anything quite like that. You have a very good point there!

While I don't really believe in the afterlife (being the naughty little athiest I am) I think it's a nice, comforting thought. Why be pessimistic and say that once you die you are gone forever when you can believe in (or hope for) something better? I think a place that forms to your greatest dream is nice to think about, however crazy/unbelievable it is. Besides, I bet there would be a lot more murderers and the like out there if people didn't believe in a nicer place to go to if you're good. ;]

Like Reyo said: "There's no proof of it, but I'd sure as hell like it to happen."

This post has been edited by Picanco: Mar 20 2010, 09:55 PM

--------------------

Claims & Random Stuff (click to show)
+Quote Post

TricksterKat
post Mar 21 2010, 05:54 PM
Post #16

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 89 702

SCYTHER!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Arisol~ (click to show)
Squibies~ (click to show)

Credits:KittyKei,Weavile Luffer,GirlCalledBob
+Quote Post

Cassowary
post Mar 22 2010, 08:05 PM
Post #17

Skarmory Squadron Supreme
Group Icon

Member No.: 4 264

Skarmory Squadron

Naw. If there is something "beyond," at the very least (I think) it's some sort of reincarnation, except you don't even get to retail all your... soul-bits. Uh. Anyways, generally, no.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Movie Theater
post Mar 22 2010, 08:08 PM
Post #18

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 82 573

Active Squad

Well, Duh! Of course there's one!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Prof Sabiba
post Mar 22 2010, 08:19 PM
Post #19

Yeah, my backdrop is cool. Deal with it.
Group Icon

Member No.: 56 366

Professor's Team

I don't have enough faith to be an atheist. From my point of view, the afterlife might have to do with how the universe was created. Heaven has taken up most of my beliefs because of my wishes coming true after speaking with God. However, if this is not the case, it would be possible to believe that there is a looooooong sleep after death. Can't tell ya how many times I wished I could sleep forever =P

--------------------

Formerly and proudly known as Mewkeemyuu (as you can tell from my avatars...XD)

---><---

"A brown egg with a dark brown blotch near the top and several teal spots around it. It seems to probe your thoughts when you approach it." A small hole opened up in the egg!

Wanna help this little guy hatch? All you need to do is send me a pm with the secret word. Only 8 clicks to the next stage! (19 total) Secret Word Hint: This one's kinda tricky... Galaxies, nebulas, all so much fun! Wouldn't you like to comment on one?
Other stuff (click to show)

Credit goes to... (click to show)

+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Mar 22 2010, 08:30 PM
Post #20

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

i guess being atheistic in nature, i'm sorta indifferent to the prospect of an afterlife. i'm gonna live life however i want/need to here and we'll see what comes after death.

--------------------
+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th June 2024 - 03:33 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.