Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Haiti: Is what they are doing right?, Should it be helped?
Haiti
Should we keep helping them?
Yes [ 20 ]  [71.43%]
No [ 8 ]  [28.57%]
Total Votes: 28
Guests cannot vote 

Patchouli
post Mar 15 2010, 01:58 AM
Post #21

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 79 355

Bark bark

I could go on forever as to why spewing money at non beneficial things is an awful idea, but I wont. Typically people lose sight of what is realistic and go for something big that they have little chance of achieving. Sure if you want to invest in something crazy that will help you out in the long run go for it, it's not the smartest decision but at least you have something to potentially fall back on. In this case America is putting a large bet on two low chance stakes, one that Haiti will come out of this rut, and two that we might possibly benefit from it. The chances of that happening are less than the chances of me winning the lottery twice in a row. It would be difficult to stabilize a country with that kind of poverty even if every country on the world helped out.

It's not just giving out money, you'd have to establish a new order in that country, and currently the rule they're under isn't too friendly. At what risks would we go through to fix that? Then there's their economy we have to worry about and work on, and the education system, and so on. When you take the time to actually break down the process of rebuilding this specific country it's a damn difficult job, and to beg America to take the most initiative is wrong.

Don't get me wrong, if you want to help out that's great. Fly out there and do some hands on work or just donate money to a good cause, it's all great. Just don't expect our government to do this job and fund it or even send out state workers and officials to help out, it's not their duty, it's not practical.

--------------------

Hurr.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

James Tiberus Ki...
post Mar 16 2010, 05:43 AM
Post #22

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 21 331

Active Squad

I agree yet at the same time disagree.

Reason I say we should still help them is thus: If the country's economic, social and judical systems fail someone will have to go "Hey we need to step up and help." Plus it also gets people to look away from some of the other things that are going on that our country is involved in. Another reason is that if it were to happen to us, say California having an earthquake large enough to BREAK the San Andres fault line, it would leave the state in such disarray that it would take months and/or years to fix, and by helping them we might have help from them if it ever should happen to us.

Reason I disagree: We should be more concerned about fixing our own blimey problems before helping others with thiers. Since the old saying goes, "If you can't help yourself, can you really help anyone else?"
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:11 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.