Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Mars Project, Extremely long(i was bored)
shou75
post Jul 6 2010, 05:41 AM
Post #1

Chillin Like a Villain
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 61 630

Burning clouds

Im sure some people heard about the mars project.
Well for the people that dont know.
Nasa is planning to send people to mars to plant algae on it.

You may ask how are they gonna plant something there? and why the heck algae?

Well heres your awnser since mars is full of carbon the stuff that plants live off of besides sunlight and water.
If youve ever heard someone say "you have to talk to the plant so that it will grow" is because of the fact that when we humans exhale we spit out carbon,nitrogen,oxygen and other crap that happens to be sucked in the air that our body didnt like and shot back out.

The reason for the algae is because it likes carbon and excuse if im wrong but i think its able to survive longer on a planet like mars than other plants and flowers.

Now if the project is actually put into place and if its successful then after a few months to years or decade mars will have oxygen and i think there was something else about mars that made it possible for water.
Making it possible for humans to survive and hopefully live on mars.

Phew now that thats covered heres the question.

Should NASA actually attempt this soon since yaknow economic financial fail is going on atm and if NASA sucks the rest of the cash out then what?

well there it is should NASA wait about another decade or so or just have fun with it

This post has been edited by shou75: Jul 6 2010, 05:42 AM

--------------------

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Cinderella Amber
post Jul 7 2010, 06:36 PM
Post #2

WOOMY
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 1 165

Plushie Collection

Me being an aspiring astronomer, I'd have to say that they should do it, but wait. As you said, economic financial fail right now. I hear all the time that we're coming out of it but I certainly don't see it. I don't see it at all. I'm hoping that it will be fixed within the next decade...

I would love to see Mars develop into another planet capable of supporting life. Mars may be our only hope. In another few hundreds of years, maybe even sooner, the Earth will either be drowned by fully-melted ice caps, burned by the expanding and growing-ever-hotter Sun, or just choked with pollution.

I'll admit, I've fantasized about the day that Mars became a habitable planet and the intelligent population went there to start a new life and work hard to prevent Mars from meeting the same fate as Earth, while all the rejects and idiots of the world (hobos, criminals, drop-outs who mooch off of their parents, etc.) get left behind to rot. It's cruel, yeah, but no one likes socially and mentally inept people.

--------------------

Twitch Plays Pokemon has taught me three things:
- Praise Helix
- The PC and the B button are both evil incarnate
- Never bet on Entei

I have claims on Banette... but that should be obvious. wink.gif
+Quote Post

Wynne
post Jul 8 2010, 04:54 AM
Post #3

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 104 205

Active Squad

Minor correction: It's Carbon Dioxide that the plants like, not carbon. Converting carbon to oxygen would be an extremely impressive display of fusion.

Anyway, I think NASA (or some other government's space agency) should go ahead and begin terraforming Mars, if only to show that it is possible. It'll take a long time, but people will be more inclined to research stuff pertaining to terraforming and so we'll probably get some nifty gadgets out of it too.

--------------------
Please click:
+Quote Post

Black Ice
post Jul 10 2010, 10:21 PM
Post #4

A New Era
Group Icon

Member No.: 28

Active Squad

Another planet for us to fuck up grin.gif

If they wanted to show it was possible, then why not the moon instead? It's a lot closer, and much more practical for experimental purposes.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Cinderella Amber
post Jul 11 2010, 09:50 PM
Post #5

WOOMY
Group Icon

Member No.: 1 165

Plushie Collection

QUOTE(Black Ice @ Jul 10 2010, 10:21 PM) *
If they wanted to show it was possible, then why not the moon instead? It's a lot closer, and much more practical for experimental purposes.

But it might be too small, and its lack of rotation could be a problem as well, due to the fact that a big part of the moon would remain dark for a long period of time and be too cold for humans and animals to survive.

--------------------

Twitch Plays Pokemon has taught me three things:
- Praise Helix
- The PC and the B button are both evil incarnate
- Never bet on Entei

I have claims on Banette... but that should be obvious. wink.gif
+Quote Post

Zero Gravity
post Jul 16 2010, 06:04 AM
Post #6

Chosen one of Lightning
Group Icon

Member No.: 85 007

Thunder Team

We're not gonna make it to the moon not for another couple decades, until we can go to the moon again for the 2 time, we ain't going anywhere

Anyone we'd send to mars would die before they even think about coming back

--------------------

[color="#FFFF00"][/color]
+Quote Post

Bug Catcher Jax
post Jul 25 2010, 03:16 PM
Post #7

Alolan Champion
Group Icon

Member No.: 4 107

Active Squad

QUOTE(Black Ice @ Jul 10 2010, 11:21 PM) *
Another planet for us to fuck up grin.gif

In response:
QUOTE(Wikipedia)
The average daytime abundances of the elements known to be present in the lunar atmosphere, in atoms per cubic centimeter, are as follows:
Argon: 40,000
Helium: 2,000-40,000
Sodium: 70
Potassium: 17
Hydrogen: fewer than 17

The moon has no carbon dioxide. Therefore, Algae can't survive on the moon, nor any living being as we know it.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Kookie Monster
post Jul 27 2010, 12:08 PM
Post #8

Stalking like a Weeping Angel
Group Icon

Member No.: 889

COOKIE Team

I think they should do it now. In my opinon, better sooner than later. The Earth might be damaged to the point where its irreversible in the future. The sun will expand in iirc 5 billion years, and it might be best to plan for the future of our species, long before the sun turns into a red giant.

Who knows, NASA's funding may get reduced, in the future, so this is another reason that it should happen now. Most likely in another decade, the earth will be overpolluted. People may say we are doing a lot to reduce the effect, but in reality we're not doing anything.

--------------------

IRC NICKS: Fudge, Kookie, Adam West, RedIce

+Quote Post

duck
post Aug 18 2010, 01:31 PM
Post #9

woof
Group Icon

Member No.: 37 597

My Roster (I wish!)

Go Go Go NASA! save humanity ASAP!

--------------------
*eats cecil*

I also have:

Click here and I will bite you! dowant.gif
+Quote Post

GalladeKnight
post Aug 19 2010, 07:07 PM
Post #10

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 30 164

Battle Squad

It's a good idea and i'm all for it, but the major problem is the fact that Mars has a thin atmosphere. It's true plants convert carbon-dioxide to oxygen, but the oxygen might leak out of the atmosphere. We need to think of some way to strengthen Mars' atmosphere or create an artificial one.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 03:07 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.