Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Final Fantasy III DS
Black Ice
post Feb 15 2008, 09:40 PM
Post #1

A New Era
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 28

Active Squad

I got this game some time last year and I got to the Crystal Tower. Then my DS broke. I got a brand spankin' new cobalt/black DS last Sunday, and I've been playing pretty much only Final Fantasy since then. And I finally managed to beat it with Black Belt / Devout / Sage / Knight.

It's a pretty good game, but the storyline is really simple and...uh, well, it's been done before. An orphan gets some friends, picks up a sword, and comes out to save the world from darkness. The job system is pretty neat, though. It makes this game really fun to play around with.

Who else has this game? I'd like to know what others thought.

Also, I need a Mognet partner so I can send/receive mail to do some sidequests =] so if anyone is willing to help a brother out, then just tell me or something. My code is 429600000558. PM me if you're interested.

--------------------

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Balmungmp5
post Feb 16 2008, 12:06 AM
Post #2

Formerly Darksword
Group Icon

Group: Validating
Member No.: 161

Active Squad

yeah it is definitely a good game. in fact I'd say it's one of the best DS titles out there.

it's amazing how they took this game into 3D and did it RIGHT.

--------------------

I claim Scizor
also don't pm me and ask me to trade if you don't have anything in mind.
+Quote Post

Rebecca
post Feb 19 2008, 12:11 PM
Post #3

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 826

Active Squad

By the way darksword I love your sig with the panda!

Anyway, yea I'm playing FF3 on the DS right now, I've not got very far though, just about to kick wizard Hein's ass for making the tree into a castle!!! It is a pretty good game although a little on he easy side. I'm kicking ass with the main geezer (can't remember his name - the one with the grey hair) as a free lancer would you beleive it!?

It has some very groovy tunes on it, that game. Anyone else agree with me on there?

Oh, one more thing, is there a point to the chocobo forest that I'm yet to come across or are they just there to look cute and get you from one place to the other faster? (and to get gnomish bread from the city of the ancients!) 'Cuz they seem a bit useless at the stage I'm at.

--------------------

The Weedle is MINE!

Weedle says "ROFL my Waffles"
+Quote Post

AaronJ
post Feb 19 2008, 04:53 PM
Post #4

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 709

Active Squad

I don't have FF3 DS yet, although I plan to get it after I get Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. However, I do own an original Japanese import of the NES game. I pretty much just read a script to get over the Japanese symbols lol.

--------------------

-------------------------------------------------
"Amazing" Aaron and his Eevee "Eevos"
+Quote Post

Lucius
post Feb 19 2008, 09:49 PM
Post #5

Wearing My Nostalgia Goggles
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1 073

Lethal Phantoms, yo.

Meh. Final Fantasy III DS was good at first, but eventually, I got bored of it.
I'm pretty sure I made it to at least half-way through. So, I sold it and
bought something else.

However, I will say that this game does occupy quite a bit of time.
Which is a good thing!

-Lucius

--------------------
+Quote Post

Blax8192
post Feb 25 2008, 09:10 PM
Post #6

Never turn down a really good pie...
Group Icon

Member No.: 961

Active Squad

QUOTE(Darksword @ Feb 16 2008, 12:06 AM) *
yeah it is definitely a good game. in fact I'd say it's one of the best DS titles out there.

it's amazing how they took this game into 3D and did it RIGHT.

square enix really has their crap together with the final fantasy games, but the storyline is a bit overused
QUOTE(Rebecca @ Feb 19 2008, 12:11 PM) *
Anyway, yea I'm playing FF3 on the DS right now, I've not got very far though, just about to kick wizard Hein's ass for making the tree into a castle!!! It is a pretty good game although a little on he easy side. I'm kicking ass with the main geezer (can't remember his name - the one with the grey hair) as a free lancer would you believe it!?

It has some very groovy tunes on it, that game. Anyone else agree with me on there?

Oh, one more thing, is there a point to the chocobo forest that I'm yet to come across or are they just there to look cute and get you from one place to the other faster? (and to get gnomish bread from the city of the ancients!) 'Cuz they seem a bit useless at the stage I'm at.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hein's weak, I never changed job titles for the bosses, I just used random spells and stuff, but the black mage's really good magic never seemed to last long enough to be hardly any use cuz I'd still lose a turn trying to find out his new weakness, I just went classic on their ass with the warrior black mage white mage and theif, I've heard of people beating it and trying some freekin crazy challenges too though
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
freelancer challenge, only use freelancers and switch for magic, only when necessary but usually buy the items and switch back right after using the spell

onion knight challenge, you're stats are all like below 7 until you hit level 93 and I beat the final boss aound level 56 so yeah, it's probably tougher than it sounds

no healing challenge, only heal in towns, never use magic or potions or nothing, getting past final boss like that would be a nightmare
yeah the musics okay, seems a little recycled to me, but I've only played like 4 games, and theres about 16 I know exist
the chocobo forest has the fat chocobo, buy some gysahl greens, cuz if you're at a forest then you can sail to gysahl by now, buy those and you can put all your crap armor in their belly and make them puke when you want it back, real good for when you use the auto sort and it puts all the stuff you will need in the forseeable future at the bottom of the bag no matter how you tell it to sort them

--------------------
These are my Topics which you should read, but probably won't (click to showhide)
=mine
A glimpse into my mind(by clicking you are signing a waiver on your sanity) (click to showhide)
(\_/)
\(n.n)/
(")_(")
this is evil bunny, copy and paste him into your sig and help him keep bunny from taking over the world!!!
I didn't want to put this in tags but the length was bugging me . . . just open it (click to showhide)
+Quote Post

Balmungmp5
post Feb 25 2008, 10:42 PM
Post #7

Formerly Darksword
Group Icon

Active Squad

square enix really has their crap together with the final fantasy games, but the storyline is a bit overused

I do agree the storyline is overused. Especially for the first 6 games. About 7 and after the stories get better.

In the defense of them though, nintendo is much more notorious for reusing bad storylines or good storylines that have been reused billions of time.

--------------------

I claim Scizor
+Quote Post

Mana
post Feb 26 2008, 10:26 PM
Post #8

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 1 204

Active Squad

FF3 isn't one of my favorites. It took me too long to beat one boss, then 5 minutes later I'd have to fight another boss I couldn't beat. The no-saving-in dungeons doesn't help much either. It's not bad though, I enjoy the job system. Storyline was pretty boring though.

--------------------
"Time line? Time isn't made of lines. It's made of circles. That is why clocks are round."

Skymin pokeball by Miracle Eye.
+Quote Post

Blax8192
post Mar 2 2008, 01:37 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Active Squad

at the time I hated it, but looking back, I'm glad we couldn't save in dungeons, it forced us to level a little better before trying it, otherwise if we could save in front of the bosses, then we would beat them by luck and be too underlevelled for the wild monsters after the boss

--------------------
These are my Topics which you should read, but probably won't (click to showhide)
=mine
A glimpse into my mind(by clicking you are signing a waiver on your sanity) (click to showhide)
(\_/)
\(n.n)/
(")_(")
this is evil bunny, copy and paste him into your sig and help him keep bunny from taking over the world!!!
I didn't want to put this in tags but the length was bugging me . . . just open it (click to showhide)
+Quote Post

Vide0Gam3r
post Apr 4 2008, 03:55 PM
Post #10

The Vide0Gam3r
Group Icon

Member No.: 240

Active Squad

I got this game yesterday and I love it! I have a few questions, though:

What's the best setup for the jobs?

Does the formation thing in the menu do anything (besides change the guy onscreen)?

Edit: Whoops, the last post was a month ago. My bad...

This post has been edited by LucarioMaster: Apr 4 2008, 03:57 PM

--------------------
My Website.

Oh, by the way...
+Quote Post

Zadion Apocalaya
post Apr 8 2008, 02:31 AM
Post #11

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 1 562

Active Squad

I do agree the storyline is overused. Especially for the first 6 games. About 7 and after the stories get better.

Lies. FFVI has the best storyline out of any title in the series.

I'll agree, though, that FFIII was lacking in that department. The storyline was even given more to it from what I've heard. FFIII shines most in it's job system. In which, it does a very good job at it IMO.

The only real thing that annoyed me about this game was the level jumps at certain places. Like, at the end of the game, I was able to get by in the final dungeon in the mid-to-late 40's. Yet it took LV56 to beat the final boss. And even then, it was a VERY close battle.

What's the best setup for the jobs?

Knight, Dark Knight, Devout, Magus was my preferred setup. Ninja in place of Dark Knight was good too, and so was Monk in place of Knight. White Mage and Black Mage in place of Devout and Magus of course, since you don't get Devout and Magus until late game.

*Only posted because the thread was technically revived.*

This post has been edited by Zadion Apocalaya: Apr 8 2008, 02:43 AM

--------------------
Haunter is mine!

+Quote Post

Balmungmp5
post Apr 8 2008, 09:06 PM
Post #12

Formerly Darksword
Group Icon

Active Squad

VI's story was a definitely better then the other 5 so yeah.

I-V basically consists of some evil magic guy with political influence in a medieval setting. Then around 4 characters travel the land doing something with crystals until they send the evil guy to hell.

--------------------

I claim Scizor
+Quote Post

Blax8192
post Apr 17 2008, 06:50 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Active Squad

even though they make them as sequels, they don't all follow the same storyline, they aren't true sequels. Most of them start anew at the beginning of the game.

I went with Warrior, Thief, Devout, Magus for my team and took the final boss out at level 54 all. then I realized I had to beat a snake head (on each side of the boss) to complete the bestiary. Then I did that with Devout, Magus, Geomancer, and Bard and that worked out pretty well for me but I was about level 60 by then.

has anybody here actually managed to get the onion knight? they're supposed to max out all their stats at level 99, but they have minimal increses up to 93 (at lvl 92 they have sevens all around) then they meteor up to all 99 stats at level 99, but the effort in training them that high and stealing all the onion equipment from dragons wouldn't be worth it...

is it just me or is square enix having a hell of a time deciding what system to make their games for? I know of definitely PS1 PS2 GBA and DS, and probably PC as well... FFXII is on PS2 and FFXII revenant wings (sequel to FFXII) is on the PS2

Job levels are VERY important to beat the boss at a lower level. The problem with devout/magus is when you get them you have a low job level still when you get to the boss while you've probably mastered (or came close to mastering) white and black mage jobs. The devout and magus with those job levels would make them weaker than the black/white mages. I probably had an easier time of it because I made sure to have them at a minimum of level 50 in their jobs before even entering the crystal tower (by the steal wait wait wait method on low level beasties by Ur and some on the mountain to steal Pheonix downs)

My proof of the insane power of a high job level is a simple hack out of boredom I started a new game and entered a code for max job level on the first person, and he was doing 1000 damage each hit at level one. Of course I didn't save, but such is the product of boredom.

I noticed in this game...no Bangaa WTF is up with that?

All of the main people in all of the games of FF I've ever played or seen has a main character with Blonde hair. Any particular reason? Or did I miss one? Not important . . . I just found that odd.

--------------------
=mine
(\_/)
\(n.n)/
(")_(")
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 03:13 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.