Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

READ ME FIRST

DO NOT make any 'click my eggs/Pokémon' threads/posts or any 'what is this egg' threads/posts or you WILL be warned 10% instantly!

8 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Battle Subway Guide [Revamp], Updated 12/12/2016
Hitaka5Ever
post Jun 5 2015, 06:24 PM
Post #101

is deep in Hitaka Hell
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 97 935

Battle Subway Team

QUOTE(Spoovo The Pirate @ Jun 5 2015, 08:45 AM) *
Damn, you did well on that Mega Houndoom. Also, I can't remember if status moves + Choice Scarf is viable on this thing, but something's telling me you'll be locked into your setup move, so a Choice Scarf probably wouldn't be wise. My own Houndoom runs a Grass Gem for Magical Leaf, which really helps at luring in and removing Water/Ground/Rock types. cat.gif

Your Aerodactyl wants Leftovers, really. Protect stalling helps turn 2HKOes into 3HKOes really often, and that can buy you that valuable turn of setup for sweeping (I still need to mega evolve my Dactyl...)

The Rock Gem works well for Heracross. If you consider its main weaknesses - Fire and Flying - Rock helps well in hitting them on the switch in. Psychic-types are already covered by Heracross' Bug STAB lol, so you've picked a good choice there imo.

@ Doom: Fair point on Aerial Ace for Skarmory. Flying does have much better neutral coverage after all.

QUOTE(SilverPT @ Jun 5 2015, 11:23 AM) *
If you're gonna use Choice items, there's no need to use setup moves (nor Protect; Haze tho, it's a nice option). Also, I wouldn't use Recover on Jolteon. It's not that bulky, so it's not gonna be taking hits and you don't want to waste strong moves with Recover when you can do damage with Thunderbolt.

Also, if you're gonna change Mega Aerodactyl's item, I would suggest giving the Choice Band to Dugtrio.

Thanks for all your input happy.gif And thanks Spoovo! I'm quite proud of him grin.gif I will definitely switch items around and update some things (I still would like to collect more Carbos for Jolteon since I'd like his speed to be better. Its only a 21 so :/ I just need 5 more) I'm gonna battle with what I have now (I updated with your suggestions) and see where my streak gets

Thanks again guys!

*EDIT* Any tips on the best strategy to battle with my team? Like who should my lead be, when should I use stat changing attacks before attacking, etc? Also, if you switch a Pokemon out for a new one, do they lose their previous stat change (like say Mega Aerodactyl uses Sword's Dance to raise his attack power and I switched him bc of type disadvantage) As far as that goes, I've kinda got the hang of it (I love my Azumarill especially)

This post has been edited by Sladin5Ever: Jun 5 2015, 07:31 PM

--------------------

Need Social Network? PM me; 14/48
You can call me Sladin or Rocky (:
Please do not use my icon for your personal use. Thank you happy.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Doom Hunter
post Jun 5 2015, 09:55 PM
Post #102

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Member No.: 207 612

Active Squad

For a lead, I'd pick Mega Aerodactyl. He has a meaty Attack and your second best speed, and with a choice band, that attack becomes immense. Rock and Flying are good coverage moves and can hit a lot. And it'll have troubles only with Electric, Steel, and Water types really, so it's a pretty solid leadoff.

Give Dugtrio the Choice Band. Dugtrio's attack is only average without it, and Dugtrio is your premier revenge killer.

Jolteon doesn't do well with Leftovers either. Grass/Water gem or Choice Specs are the best option for that Pokemon.

Rock Gem makes Heracross risky, but if you can read when flyers are switching in, that's a free KO.

Otherwise, solid team mate! Well done!

--------------------
|

He's watching you....so protect the environment!

+Quote Post

Hitaka5Ever
post Jun 5 2015, 10:18 PM
Post #103

is deep in Hitaka Hell
Group Icon

Battle Subway Team

QUOTE(Doom Hunter @ Jun 5 2015, 07:55 PM) *
For a lead, I'd pick Mega Aerodactyl. He has a meaty Attack and your second best speed, and with a choice band, that attack becomes immense. Rock and Flying are good coverage moves and can hit a lot. And it'll have troubles only with Electric, Steel, and Water types really, so it's a pretty solid leadoff.

Give Dugtrio the Choice Band. Dugtrio's attack is only average without it, and Dugtrio is your premier revenge killer.

Jolteon doesn't do well with Leftovers either. Grass/Water gem or Choice Specs are the best option for that Pokemon.

Rock Gem makes Heracross risky, but if you can read when flyers are switching in, that's a free KO.

Otherwise, solid team mate! Well done!

Thank you! I'll have to get another Choice Band when it's in the shop then. And yeah Heracross has helped me out in that field. Still wish I had gotten its Mega Stone on the first Plus Day though :/ For now I gave Mega Houndoom leftovers until I can get the Choice Scarf that Sam suggested

--------------------

+Quote Post

Doom Hunter
post Jun 5 2015, 10:27 PM
Post #104

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Active Squad

Sam suggested the Choice Scarf? o.o

Sam! Bad boy! I thought better of you :P

While Mega Houndoom's got good SA and has beneficial offensive typing, it rarely OHKOs without Nasty Plot. And then you get choicelocked and the foe can send in something normally at risk for free, I.E. a Whimsicott when you're stuck on Snarl.

Trust me, Electric/Grass gems are way more useful on Mega Houndoom.

--------------------
|

+Quote Post

Hitaka5Ever
post Jun 6 2015, 12:02 AM
Post #105

is deep in Hitaka Hell
Group Icon

Battle Subway Team

I got up to 63 sadly. I was pretty upset :/ I've gotten the hang of things a bit better now, but I'm still a little out of my league

--------------------

+Quote Post

Spoovo The Pirat...
post Jun 6 2015, 02:08 AM
Post #106

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 43 235

Team RAWR!

QUOTE(Sladin5Ever @ Jun 6 2015, 06:02 AM) *
I got up to 63 sadly. I was pretty upset :/ I've gotten the hang of things a bit better now, but I'm still a little out of my league

Well, practice certainly makes perfect. I had a hard time cracking 75 myself for a while (for the damn Exp. Share), and this was mostly because of hax. Nearly every time I lost, it was because of either a crit or a Quick Claw (sometimes even both).

As for your earlier question, I personally lead with my own Houndoom, and he does surprisingly well. With a Grass Gem there's amazing coverage, and it can 3HKO bulky neutrals, while 2HKOing bulky weak targets, and even OHKOing frailer ones like Steelix, who will likely stay in because of their Ground typing.

MegaDactyl also works brilliantly as a lead because of its great Attack, passable bulk, wonderful Speed and useful typing that hits a lot of this metagame hard, so that's also a good idea if MegaDoom doesn't work out.

--------------------

I WRITE FANFICS!

It's All In The Genes

Moonlight

Please read and review! cat.gif
+Quote Post

Doom Hunter
post Jun 6 2015, 04:30 AM
Post #107

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Active Squad

The reason I like saving MegaDoom is because it's easily your most reliable sweeper on the team with a gem-switch in on a weak target, boost, and nothing can touch it. Megadactyl, on the other hand, has more exploitable weaknesses and more resists to it as well, so its primary effectiveness with Choice Band is to hit and run, since you can only pick one coverage move at a time. That way, as a lead, he can either pick off something weak and maybe take a hit or two, or he can scout something resisted by Azumarill/MegaDoom and switch out. MegaDoom is generally not something you want taking a hit early-faster Pokemon ruin MegaDoom, most notably Dugtrio and enemy Dactyls, so you do NOT want it taking early damage. Rather, take out its checks, then send it in to clean up. That's one possible alternative to a Megadoom lead.....

Alternatively, since only Steel types and the rare Stunfisk reliably wall Megadactyl, one could run Swords Dance with it and make it an all-or-nothing attacker like I use my Flaming Zoroark. Generally, you get one shot to use it that way, but not only does it keep your coverage, you can even add in a gem move-for Aerodactyl, definitely Ground Gem-and potentially sweep entire teams simply because nothing is fast enough to catch it. Honestly, I like that idea more now that I think about it-but if that's how you choose to use Megadactyl, I HIGHLY recommend Jolteon leading to take out Aero's water-type checks, most notably Azumarill and Luvdisc.

This post has been edited by Doom Hunter: Jun 6 2015, 04:45 AM

--------------------
|

+Quote Post

Yamper
post Jun 6 2015, 05:19 AM
Post #108

Axew and Volcarona enthusiast
Group Icon

Member No.: 61 211

Invisible Kyurem

QUOTE(Doom Hunter @ Jun 6 2015, 04:27 AM) *
Sam suggested the Choice Scarf? o.o

Sam! Bad boy! I thought better of you :P

While Mega Houndoom's got good SA and has beneficial offensive typing, it rarely OHKOs without Nasty Plot. And then you get choicelocked and the foe can send in something normally at risk for free, I.E. a Whimsicott when you're stuck on Snarl.

Trust me, Electric/Grass gems are way more useful on Mega Houndoom.

The thing you're forgetting is it's not the fastest, it's defences are pitiful. It doesn't have time to set up.
Enough with the bullshit.

I suggested the scarf because it's a viable option. Scarf dual types work. Jynx worked for me. Mega Lucario works for Spoovo. Because you don't agree doesn't make it a bad option - cut it out, Doom. This is a guide, not somewhere to try and +1 all the time. If anything it's coming off as a place where it's confusing people who are new to battling with all these conflictions.

Constructive criticism, not negative things.
(Ps if I want to bloody use a mega houndoom with a scarf then I'll bloody do so, I don't need approval and neither does anybody else)

--------------------

Don't forget to love yourself.
Add me for daily clicks: 873/1000

[align=center]---

Community Thread Shiny List!

---[/align]
[align=right]Breeding Incentives: Mission Cards
[/align]
+Quote Post

SilverPT
post Jun 6 2015, 10:48 AM
Post #109

You're one bad day away from being me.
Group Icon

Member No.: 128 888

Active Squad

Not wanting to take anyone's side, but it's perfectly secure to setup with Mega Houndoom as it's to setup with any other good mon. For the sake of the example, Haxorus is less bulky and slower than Mega Houndoom and still find no trouble setting up. If you say that it has less weaknesses, resists the GWF core and doesn't take super effective damage from ground and fighting, I agree with you, because that plays a huge role in its role during the battle.

In Sladin's case, since he just started battling and still lacks some knowledge (what to lead with, stat changes, etc (which is not a problem, trust me)), probably Choice Scarf is the better item. He would end up having 3-4 mons with setup moves, thus confusing and clustering him with too much information.

Sladin, use what you want. Try different things. Only that way you'll get better and understand this. And answering your edit, yes, they lose their stat changes if they switch out (or get Haze'd).

--------------------

Big shoutout to Cycloneblaze for the awesome buttons!

Spoiler (click to showhide)
+Quote Post

Doom Hunter
post Jun 6 2015, 03:40 PM
Post #110

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Active Squad

Sorry Sam, I didn't mean to come off that way mate. I sometimes do go a little overboard on the battling aspects, and I apologize for getting a little too defensive. I'll keep it more positive in the future.

But Silver is right, Sladin. All our suggestions are merely that, suggestions. Heck, you could run a Lv. 100 Magikarp team and we couldn't stop you. The best way to figure out what you like is to experiment on your own. We can try to point you in the right direction, but in the end only you can find out what's the best for YOU.

This post has been edited by Doom Hunter: Jun 6 2015, 03:54 PM

--------------------
|

+Quote Post

Zynn
post Jun 7 2015, 12:40 PM
Post #111

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 157 504

Master Common Sense

So, I know this is slightly off topic, but just wanted to thank you al for your various suggestions and strategies. I've been lurking and sniping bits of info to use myself, and it paid off in my first Comb win! For a complete beginner, it was fantastic! I equipped my shiny Azumarill almost like the one in the OP, and he almost completely swept through the Kanto fighters by himself, only needing a bit of help from Mega Garchomp and Jolteon when dealing with the Dragon master. I'm so happy right now, it's crazy! lol grin.gif

I've almost got a full team together, but not a ton of time right now, so I'll be back later with stats and links, in order to gather some suggestions. Thanks a ton again!!

--------------------
If you happen to read this, clicks are always appreciated & returned. Thanks! wave.gif

Lovely Flalavoir & Lasolia Sprites made by Bonnie Clyde. Follow Flalavoir to her Sprite Boutique!
Beautiful Avatar & Banner made by Cycloneblaze in....

+Quote Post

Hitaka5Ever
post Jun 7 2015, 06:29 PM
Post #112

is deep in Hitaka Hell
Group Icon

Battle Subway Team

(@SilverPT: Is actually a girl but that's okay, I don't mind lol)

Well I DID end up getting the 75 streak WITHOUT the scarf AND gem so its all good. I had a few close calls but I prevailed with a bit of smart thinking (like when my Mega Aero was low on health, I would use 3 protects bc he had leftovers, which gave him health, and either switched him for a full health Poke (Azumarill usually when not against a type disadvantage) or attacked because he could take the hits) I also got the hang of attacks like Nasty Plot, which helped get my opponent's Poke down a good chunk of health while still staying alive for my next turn

So I did take everyone's advice into consideration and if I didn't think it'd help me at all then I just didn't use it. And again, I didn't need the gem or scarf to do it, but others might benefit, so they're all good suggestions

@Doc Oc: My Azumarill saved my butt plenty of times, so I suggest getting one of those. Mine's got 122 IVs and only died a few times, but a better IV one will still be nice to have. Adamant for the nature too, and leftovers. A big belly comes quite in handy haha happy.gif

Again guys, thanks!

This post has been edited by Sladin5Ever: Jun 7 2015, 06:29 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Carefactorzero
post Jun 11 2015, 05:01 AM
Post #113

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 19 837

Active Squad

This tip may sound strange to some of you, but I find that nicknaming your team members can be helpful. In certain situations, one of your Pokémon may be up against another of its species, and there may be a crucial moment in the battle where you'll need to know which of the two is the fastest. If both you and your opponent are using the same Pokémon without a nickname and they launch the same attack, you may be throwing away useful information from time to time. The odds of this happening may be low, but it's happened to me often enough for me to give my whole team nicknames. The battle dialogue doesn't tell you whose Pokémon made the first/last move, unlike the games.

Hopefully this helps a little. happy.gif
+Quote Post

GothMetal
post Jun 25 2015, 12:36 PM
Post #114

A random goat
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 16 952

My Platinum Team

I have a question...
I own a Haxorus with 178 ivs ( http://gpxplus.net/info/fevAH )
And It can't be given any vitamins (and there's no history telling about If I gave it some or not... so I think I didn't give it)
Maybe is because the total amount of ivs? I read the vitamins spot, but it doesn't tell anything about that, so that's que question.

This post has been edited by GothMetal: Jun 25 2015, 12:37 PM

--------------------

- - - - - -

QUOTE("Evanescence")
You can't play the victim this time

+Quote Post

Yamper
post Jun 25 2015, 01:35 PM
Post #115

Axew and Volcarona enthusiast
Group Icon

Member No.: 61 211

Invisible Kyurem

QUOTE(GothMetal @ Jun 25 2015, 06:36 PM) *
I have a question...
And It can't be given any vitamins (and there's no history telling about If I gave it some or not... so I think I didn't give it)
Maybe is because the total amount of ivs? I read the vitamins spot, but it doesn't tell anything about that, so that's que question.

Do you have any vitamins you can actually give it? You can't exceed 31 IVs in a stat.

--------------------

Don't forget to love yourself.
Add me for daily clicks: 873/1000

[align=center]---

Community Thread Shiny List!

---[/align]
[align=right]Breeding Incentives: Mission Cards
[/align]
+Quote Post

GothMetal
post Jun 25 2015, 01:46 PM
Post #116

A random goat
Group Icon

Member No.: 16 952

My Platinum Team

QUOTE(ll Sam ll @ Jun 25 2015, 08:35 PM) *
QUOTE(GothMetal @ Jun 25 2015, 06:36 PM) *
I have a question...

Do you have any vitamins you can actually give it? You can't exceed 31 IVs in a stat.

I have some of all of them (no proteins)
Actually I have Iron and Zinc (que ones can be given)

In fact, I noticed it when I got a Protein and I tried to give it to the dragon...

--------------------

- - - - - -

QUOTE("Evanescence")
You can't play the victim this time

+Quote Post

SilverPT
post Jun 25 2015, 04:08 PM
Post #117

You're one bad day away from being me.
Group Icon

Member No.: 128 888

Active Squad

QUOTE(GothMetal @ Jun 25 2015, 07:46 PM) *
I have some of all of them (no proteins)
Actually I have Iron and Zinc (que ones can be given)

In fact, I noticed it when I got a Protein and I tried to give it to the dragon...

If something like "This Pokémon has received 2 vitamins. He may receive 4 more." doesn't appear, it's probably because you already gave him six vitamins.

--------------------

Big shoutout to Cycloneblaze for the awesome buttons!

Spoiler (click to showhide)
+Quote Post

Breech Loader
post Jun 25 2015, 06:50 PM
Post #118

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 228 368

Active Squad

I recently went through a systematic dumping and replacing of all the Pokemon with base IVs of less than 100.
+Quote Post

Cycloneblaze
post Jun 25 2015, 07:04 PM
Post #119

The Blue Comet
Group Icon

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 93 314

snappers

Really, for battling Pokémon, you're gonna want upwards of 130 or 140 IVs for your Pokémon. Can't forget about natures either.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Doom Hunter
post Jun 25 2015, 07:27 PM
Post #120

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Active Squad

130-140 isn't NECESSARY...it's just nice. Heck, my 130 Alakazam is one of the best ones on the site. Where the IVs are is just as important..For example, my 130 Alakazam may not have the most IVs, but most of the missing ones are in Attack, and with its Modest nature and max Speed/SA IVs, it's a monster.

--------------------
|

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:23 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.