Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Dimensions talk., do we see in 2D?
Eldavey
post Aug 15 2012, 06:04 PM
Post #1

Super Special
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 49 980

dreamteam

In how many dimensions do we see the world we live in?

Not long ago I thought we saw our world in 3 dimensions being: length, width and depth. But now I've come to think we live in 3D but see in 2D.

Everything I see around me looks like it has the three dimensions I mentioned above. Even when I close one eye I still "know" everything has depth, I just lost some clarity. My book has depth, my bed has depth, but how do I know it has depth? Can't it be that I just see a 2-dimensional plane with different shades and hues and little details so my brain just tells me it has depth?

Now you might not be convinced but let's apply this theory to an other dimension. Imagine a world in the second dimension: Flatland. In this world there are living organisms formed as squares. Now if one square looks at an other square what does he see? He sees a straight line or one side of the square. The only way he'd be able to tell it's a square is because of the different shades on that line.

Now a line is one dimension. so a two-dimensional organism sees his world in 1 dimension. But we, being three dimensional organisms are able to see Flatland from above. We can see flatland with one glance, we are able to see within the squares's bodies.

This makes me think that if we were to see in three dimensions we ought to be able to see everything with one glance too, inside and outside. But as you might've noticed, we don't, only a four-dimensional organism would be able to do so.

I didn't come up with this myself, this is my own interpretation of multiple youtube videos and people's opinions.
Feel free to post your opinion.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Aug 15 2012, 06:44 PM
Post #2

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

So you are saying that we only see a 2D trace of everything? I don't think it's an uncommon concept >_>

We are four dimensional beings technically, it's just that we can only see a 2D trace of everything and we can't actually see time (time is the fourth dimension). And a lot of that is because light reflects off of things and when we see it in our eyes we only see the frontmost cross section of that light or something to that extent, which is in 2 dimensions.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Eldavey
post Aug 15 2012, 07:33 PM
Post #3

Super Special
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 49 980

dreamteam

QUOTE(Lord Raven @ Aug 16 2012, 01:44 AM) *
So you are saying that we only see a 2D trace of everything? I don't think it's an uncommon concept >_>

We are four dimensional beings technically, it's just that we can only see a 2D trace of everything and we can't actually see time (time is the fourth dimension). And a lot of that is because light reflects off of things and when we see it in our eyes we only see the frontmost cross section of that light or something to that extent, which is in 2 dimensions.

yes, a 2D trace of a 3D object.

Maybe what I'm stating looks obvious, yet everyone I've told this says I'm wrong. They say there's a difference with looking at a photo which is kind of 2D
and seeing the world with your own eyes. Whereas I think it's just the same thing.

However I disagree that time is THE fourth dimension because there is, I believe, an infinite amount of spatial dimensions, and time is a dimension aside from that which can be found in all spatial dimensions.

+Quote Post

Lord Raven
post Aug 15 2012, 07:36 PM
Post #4

i need something to put here
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 34

Active Squad

Only 4 observable dimensions then, because that superstring theory crap is too much for me.

EDIT: Einstein's general relativity disagrees with you by the way. Even going by special relativity, space and time are one and the same and your progression through space affects the time you feel and vice versa. That's why you hear things about spacetime, and there are these things called spacetime diagrams where ct (speed of light times time) is plotted against at least one of the 3 spacial dimensions. Here is an article, because I still have to look much of this stuff up on account of having only covered Special Relativity for two weeks in modern physics and having never taken a general relativity or classical mechanics class yet (classical mechanics referring to hardcore classical mechanics, so your AP Physics C: Mechanics crap on lots and lots and lots of crack).

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:20 PM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.