Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Animal Cruelty, And other morally questionable actions in Pokemon
chidori5000
post Jul 20 2009, 06:08 PM
Post #41

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 32 309

Active Squad

dude the difference is that the pokemon has a choice like they can run away or something dog are trained to kill sometimes and stuff
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Wonderbread
post Jul 21 2009, 03:14 AM
Post #42

Master of all things obscure.
Group Icon

Member No.: 48 457

Defenders of Justice

The creators of Pokemon made it clear that the Pokeballs created a virtual environment for the Pokemon to be happy in, and the Pokemon like battling, and that when a Pokemon is stored away they are free to roam Professor Oak's ranch.

--------------------
Click any to go to my party.

You click mine, I click yours. Win/win situation.
you know you want to click them, so do it.
+Quote Post

ScHiZoPhReNiC
post Jul 26 2009, 10:12 AM
Post #43

A Figment Of My Own Imagination
Group Icon

Member No.: 49 173

Active Squad

once you think about it it is like cock fighting
you pit 2 pokemon against each other
until one "faints" (euphamism for death)
and when you catch pokemon you hurt them
when a pokeball is shaking it is because the pokemon is struggling to get out
but all in all pokemon cant kill people
ash team rocket and dawn would all be dead by electric shocks by now then
so it is not exactly like animal cruelty
+Quote Post

Usagi Zakura
post Jul 26 2009, 11:32 AM
Post #44

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 30 763

Team Awesome

QUOTE(ScHiZoPhReNiC @ Jul 26 2009, 05:12 PM) *
once you think about it it is like cock fighting
you pit 2 pokemon against each other
until one "faints" (euphamism for death)
and when you catch pokemon you hurt them
when a pokeball is shaking it is because the pokemon is struggling to get out
but all in all pokemon cant kill people
ash team rocket and dawn would all be dead by electric shocks by now then
so it is not exactly like animal cruelty

In Special both Pokčmon and trainers end up badly injured and bleeding from time to time... I'm pretty sure they could kill to if they wanted too (even though Red got frozen in a block of ice and survived...but hey, cartoon/comic characters are like that)

--------------------

Uxie uxie.gif Anitarig giratina.gif Daisuke infernape.gif Weasley floatzel.gif Sceptile sceptile.gif Rika raichu.gif

+Quote Post

Blue Tomoshibi
post Jul 26 2009, 12:35 PM
Post #45

Frontier Owner
Group Icon

Member No.: 20 100

Best of the metagame

"Sinnoh Folk Story 1"
Pick clean the bones of Pokémon
caught in the sea or stream.
Thank them for the meals they
provide, and pick their bones clean.
When the bones are as clean as can
be, set them free in the water from
which they came.
The Pokémon will return, fully
fleshed, and it begins anew.

^Thats from D/P/Pt
That and several times there are mentions of Pokemon being eaten. Like Farfetch'd, and in G/S/C if you check the fridge in your house, it will say "Mom's Cinnabar Volcano Burgers" or something to that extent

--------------------
[align=center]

[/align]
+Quote Post

Apocalyptic Chic...
post Jul 26 2009, 08:49 PM
Post #46

They found Captain Winky!
Group Icon

Member No.: 43 437

Active Squad

Now that I think about it, Pokemon is alot more complex then anyone really thinks about confused.gif

--------------------

Life Goals;
01. World Domination
02. Beat a man to death while wearing a tuxedo
03. Complete the 82-Floor Haunted House in upstate New York, which includes skipping in and having a picnic right in the middle to annoy the crap out of the workers.
.04 Find out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsipop. 863
05. Die on the exact time, day, and second I was born. That way, theres no decimal for my mathmatical age!

---

"Beginnings are usually scary, and Endings are always sad, but its what lies between, that makes it worth living."

"Why... Why do humans always wish for those they cannot have? Why do they look at the sky and wish to fly, even if they don't have wings? Well...we wolves, we use what we have been givin to get what we want. We'll run on our own four paws for as long as it takes, to get where we need to go... to get to Paradise..." - Kiba, Episode 28 of Wolf's Rain.

Name of Series: Naruto [Shippidun/Orginial & Filler]
Your Claim: Kiba Inuzuka (08/07/2009)

~!I'm part of the Novelty Breeders!~

I claim;
Thing #1
Thing #2

My name, Danielle, translated into Japanese is: Denieru (see the pronounciation guide).
Get your own Japanese name translation at Keiichi Anime Forever!

My Personailty Quizzes (click to show)

Other Stuff (click to show)
+Quote Post

Cube
post Jul 26 2009, 09:17 PM
Post #47

Factory Head
Group Icon

Member No.: 20 693

PANE Party

I did think about that yes...

However, there are a few things about Pokemon Battles that separate them from real life animal fighting.

One, they aren't forced. A Pokemon will only listen to a trainer it respects. (In the games this is demonstrated through badges, though in other media it's a bit more complex than that).

Next, Pokemon are much stronger and resilient than real life animals. They can die, as demonstrated repeatedly in the games through places like Pokemon Tower and Ghost Pokemon, but they rarely do so as a result of battling. All it takes is a trip to a Pokemon Center and they're patched up as good as new.

In real life, animals don't choose to fight. They're frequently starved prior to fighting, and are forced to fight by their owners. They can't choose not to fight. And if they're injured? A Vet doesn't have a magic healing machine.

For an in game example, look at the Gamecube games:
A Shadow Pokemon is a Pokemon stripped of it's free will, and forced to fight. A normal Pokemon has a free will, and chooses to fight. That distinction is why Cipher is considered evil, while Wes and Michael are both considered good guys.

--------------------
+Quote Post

LarkortheNightin...
post Jul 28 2009, 08:17 AM
Post #48

The Soul of Blood
Group Icon

Member No.: 34 628

SoulSilver Team

I've already thought about the Pokeball thing... but there's a nice video on Youtube that made it seem better. I like to think that each Pokemon has a specialized Pokeball... The Pokemon magically shrinks so the Pokeball is the size of a castle to them, and the Pokemon has whatever they need there... I also sometimes think that maybe being in Pokeballs is like being in a little town, like maybe the Pokemon would have a gym and a theater and a park and a pool and they would all live together, and only be called out for battling. At least, that's what I think to make myself feel better when I catch a Pokemon.

But you're right, some of this does relate to animal cruelty. The Teams especially. Stealing Pokemon is as bad as stealing a house cat (or bunny), and I actually cried the first time I went into Team Galactic's labs and read the description of the Lake Trio's suffering... It's just not right.

--------------------

And here is my party. grin.gif

Most of my information and crap is in my journal so go look at that <w<
+Quote Post

Dragon Maiden
post Jul 28 2009, 03:47 PM
Post #49

Secret Superhero
Group Icon

Member No.: 5 071

Dream Team

I've often thought of these questions. I have another question to pose while I'm at it. Have you ever seen any of the pokemon episodes with the pokemon poachers? They always try to stop poachers from taking pokemon to sell, but how is that any different from going out and catching a certain breed of pokemon because you want to trade it for someone elses pokemon? The Pokemon shows seem to promote the idea that you should only catch pokemon you have emotionally bonded with before you caught them. Also how is that right if you find a breed of pokemon you really want and you have to catch it fast or it will run away and you've had no time to "bond" with it? is it all right to catch a pokemon first and then bond with it? Ash always seems to have a bonding experience with a wild pokemon before he catches it and he seems to disagree with catching pokemon you aren't friends with. That question is kinda similar to the one with why the bad guys can't catch any pokemon they want like the good guys. For all of you calling the game just "pixels" by the way, their is a double meaning behind everything in the world, a fact you can choose to ignore or not. If we want to discuss the philosphy of pokemon we should be allowed to, and if you don't want to, that's fine just ignore our conversation.

--------------------

Avatar and Sprite made by Little Peanut
Epic Avatar made by Asylum Zombie
+Quote Post

flashytechnique
post Jul 28 2009, 09:32 PM
Post #50

Tomboyish Mermaid
Group Icon

Member No.: 43 288

Favorites

QUOTE(DragonSpear @ May 12 2009, 11:40 PM) *
I think pokemon introduces the idea of animal enslavement. In one of the anime episodes, do you really think that a rapidash would let ash on his/her back? That's like horse back riding, you whip or spur the poor animal until it gets traumatised to let you ride on its back.

Riding is not like that, at all. =^=
Only bad, untalented and cruel horsemen would actually use violence to break a horse. Most of the time, "breaking," which is a term used for getting a horse to take a bridle and saddle, is built around trust between the horse and trainer. A horse has a very good memory, and they would never willingly let someone they did not trust on their back. Many horses form deep, lifelong bonds with their trainers, riders, or other humans they come into contact with. ^w^ I have never used spurs in riding, and the pressure with the heel of a boot (or a light kick if necessary) is the same as someone pushing their child gently to get them to walk faster. There is nothing "enslaved" or cruel about it, unless the riders themselves are cruel.

About Pokemon, I always thought that the Pokeballs must be comfortable, otherwise trainers wouldn't keep their Pokemon in them. I guess the thing with Team Rocket not being able to catch wild Pokemon sort of makes sense, because they are most likely going to use them for bad things, unlike Ash, who just wants to be friends with them and battle with them. But there isn't much of a distinction... >.>

--------------------

-------------

+Quote Post

Cluemily
post Aug 7 2009, 04:32 AM
Post #51

(゚∀゚) RUB IT!!
Group Icon

Member No.: 54 517

Active Squad

Hmm, it makes you think. I mean, if the Pokeballs were unlike what I've always thought when I was younger, full of room, you'd think the Pokemon would rebel.

But that's maybe a reason Pikachu hates his/her(since it has never really been specified) Pokeball, and Wobbufet always pops out of his/her Pokeball, not just to annoy us.

Yeah, I think I just confused myself. walloftext.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Avu
post Sep 7 2009, 02:59 PM
Post #52

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 61 485

Active Squad

As beforementioned, I think free will plays a lot into it; Pokemon LIKE to fight, even though they get hurt (kind of masochistic, but that's the way all of them are, so...?). Also, I don't think morality is questioned in their world, because the trainers have never had dogfighting, etc. to compare it to; that's just the way things work for them. IIRC, some people DON'T battle the Pokemon -- like that lady with Bulbasaur -- and he wanted to fight, in the end.

As for Pokeballs -- don't the Pokemon transform into like, some form of pure energy or something before they go in, and then materialize again when they come back out? I'm doubt it'd be too cramped then, though I can't speak for entertainment...xP

--------------------
+Quote Post

Lord Stingray
post Oct 5 2009, 07:01 PM
Post #53

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 66 668

???

On the topic of pokeballs i do remember reading some were that each pokeball has its own habitat inside. Depending on what pokeball it is.

--------------------
+Quote Post

DuhDuhDeeDee
post Oct 10 2009, 07:16 PM
Post #54

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 45 249

Active Squad

Well I do think that it is KIND OF animal cruelety (cantspell it!) but I dont consider it like dogfighting, cuzlike, dogfightings kindof to the death, and in pokrmon, nopokemon haz eva DIED, so yeah...

--------------------
I like all Pokemon. Except I like some more than others. kamina.gif

lugia.gif suicune.gif manaphy.gif mew.gif dialga.gif
+Quote Post

Azure Butterfly
post Oct 11 2009, 11:51 AM
Post #55

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 53 563

Team UberPwn

Pokemon cannot die. They can faint, yes, but they never die.

Pokemon are your inner demons. You battle them to overcome them, and catch them in capsules so you have control over them.

Pokemon like battling. It's like a game to them. They can get hurt, but they can always be healed afterwards.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Discarded
post Oct 11 2009, 12:09 PM
Post #56

Discarded...
Group Icon

Member No.: 65 175

Discarded...

sorry that this may sound rude, but this topic is pointless. if pokemon was real, then this question would actually have a meaning.
pokemon is created how pokemon is created. your just twisting the words around. its not like Ash in the anime doesnt say "Pikachu, were gonna be friends forever" for no reason. >_>
and pokemon is a fantasy to begin with. you cant set-up a reality debate on a fantasy subject. :/

- pokeballs were made to be comfortable. if they werent, then why would the pokemon still be with the trainer?
- in the anime, battling with pokemon is classified as a sport, and for most pokemon to evolve, they need battling experience anyways.
- pokemon learning new moves from battling is NOT like teaching an animal a new trick. example - my dog learns how to fetch. this comes in handy by giving my dog some play time and a bit of excersise. my Blastoise learns Hydro Pump. this comes in handy by putting out fires. see the diffrence?

and, as Azure Butterfly just generally classified above, pokemon cant die, because -
1) they can only faint. showing the death of a pokemon would probably be a bit too much for the anime/games.
2) violence is related to death, and they both need each other. so, if the showing of death is kept away, so is violence.

This post has been edited by Discarded: Oct 11 2009, 12:17 PM

--------------------
OBJECTION! | "2nd Place In "Apollo Justice Dress Up" Contest

~ My Banner Changes Every Time The Page Refreshes, So, Credit & Thanks To... ~
Vladimir Putin

~ Dressed In Grey To Express His Way ~
~ My Avatar Changes Every Time The Page Refreshes, So, Credit & Thanks To... ~
Phoenix Wright (2) | MattyWilliams | Kazz | Night Spectre | Dobiba | JSchweigert
~ Special Thanks To Phoenix Wright For The Epic Objecting Shedinja ~

+Quote Post

SlightSanity
post Oct 11 2009, 12:26 PM
Post #57

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 67 470

Active Squad

Lol wow finnaly somone notices what i notice but with the pokemon but on the note of fitting in the pokemon ball if you watch they turin into a red light so my take is they are not physically in it but just kind of like a fog in a ball but i saw a robot chicken episode(i hate that show but there was nuthin else on)but in it pikachu turns super micro sized and then he has like a whole house in it so nobody really knows so i guess you can just think whatever you feel like it

--------------------

>>^^Click^^<<

Especially help my going-to-be drgonite and phsyduck
+Quote Post

Nari
post Dec 14 2009, 09:41 AM
Post #58

.tranquil.dreamer.
Group Icon

Member No.: 73 295

My Favorite Pokemon!

I've thought about that before, and it does seem like in real life, some of these elements could be rather cruel. For me, I probably wouldn't want to have more than like two or three Pokemon, so that they could stay outside of their pokeballs more often with me. I always liked to imagine that inside the pokeball was a very tiny little world that accommodated the Pokemon's basic needs. Have you ever noticed how in the show, the characters barely ever have -all- their Pokemon out regularly to feed them? Maybe inside their pokeball world, they have at least some food, like berries or something, growing around.

Either way, if Pokemon were real I highly doubt I'd let my Pokemon battle. It would just be too dangerous and rather than "fainting," Pokemon would likely sustain life threatening injuries or even die. Think about a poor Pokemon like Bellsprout being consumed by a Flamethrower attack. o__o There'd be nothing left of the poor thing. xD;

So yeah, I would have a couple Pokemon to be pals with (probably Arcanine and Charmander :>), and also have them for personal protection, but I wouldn't battle with them or anything like that, for the fear that they could get hurt or killed.

--------------------

~I claim Bayleef~
+Quote Post

Drewdawg
post Dec 31 2009, 10:56 PM
Post #59

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 78 061

Active Squad

Just a comment about the pokemon ball. It doesnt cram em in it shrinks em down into their own personal world.(If u were using sarcasm sorry)
+Quote Post

wenganator
post Dec 31 2009, 11:01 PM
Post #60

Mystery Counter is presently at -300,000. Warning: Hacked system
Group Icon

Member No.: 55 203

Dragon Elite

I agree with everything you say, except I want to say one thing: the "bad" guys CAPTURE other people's Pokemon or Legendaries and the like by means of tools or devices. They intend to use these Pokemon for bad reasons. Ash and other "good" trainers do not. They simply wish to train them.

--------------------

All the banners in this rotating image were made by FiaH GE. Thanks so much!

Click to visit my party!

Pokemon Sprites (click to show)
Please clicky! (eggs and other stuff) (click to show)
Groups~ (click to show)
Other Interesting Stuff (click to show)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:56 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.