Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
11 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Uprising FAQ
Letan
post Mar 20 2009, 07:16 PM
Post #1

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 1 219

Lugia Hype

At first, newcomers to Uprising will probably find things to be complicated. Even the veterans of the original RP will witness several new changes to the RP. Since I received many questions about the old RP, I have decided to set up a FAQ, similar to PANE's FAQ, so that players won't fret over the complexity of the RP.

Q: What is Uprising?
Uprising is a faction-based Pokemon RP located in the fictional city of Noverus, located in the mountainous area of Hoenn.

Q: What is an "RP"?
RP stands for "Roleplay". A roleplay is just as it sounds: players play the roles of characters.

Q: How do I join Uprising?
First, you must make a profile. To do this, enter the Profiles section within the larger Uprising Pokemon Roleplay section. Then, create a topic with the title as the full name (first and last) of your character. Next, grab the Profile Template and erase everything that isn't in bold. Be sure to follow the guidelines set up by the previously-existing text, so it is best to copy-and-paste it for reference. When prompted in the profile to select some Pokemon, refer to the Avaliable Starter Pokemon topic. After you have posted your topic, you must wait until one of the Uprising RP Moderators have approved the topic. You will know that it is approved once the topic appears in the Approved Profiles section. If it shows up with a post from an RP Mod telling you that it is denied, do not fret and ESPECIALLY do not troll them back. The RP Mods will explain what needs fixing with the profile, and once you have fixed it and it has been accepted, then you can begin.

Q: Okay, I made a profile, but what do I do now?
Next, you should try to get a group together to RP with. To do this, use the Uprising Discussion forum section. You can post in a topic that's looking for members, only if they say that they have room for more posters. If not, you can create your own topic. In the topic, be sure to explain the "side plot" of your RP and the district or location that you are starting in.

Q: What is a side plot?
A side plot is a smaller story within the larger story of Uprising.

Q: Am I stuck in the district or location that I start in?
No, you can venture off to wherever you please, so long as it is within the designated area.

Q: How do I level up my Pokemon?
Your Pokemon will level up after your RP has been graded. RPs can be submitted for grading here by whoever started your RP.

Q: How do I get a promotion in my faction?
Similar to your Pokemon levelling up, you can increase in rank within your faction. This occurs after your RP has been graded.

Q: How long do I need to make my posts?
Generally, a good RP post is around 2 paragraphs long. Some people prefer to make longer posts, and some people prefer to make short posts. Here, it is best to add as much length as possible. If people create 3 sentence posts, they will receive a poor grade during the grading process.

Q: How do I battle with another RPer?
It is best to battle with another RPer over the GTS+ IRC. Arrange a time to be online at, and once both RPers are online, conduct the battle through private chat. To do this, double-click their username on the userlist. Battles can also be performed over MSN, AIM, or any other instant messaging program that uses text. Once you have finished, decide amongst yourselves who will post it. When posting the battle, be sure to remove usernames from the instant messaging program logs, and try to fix sentences that don't flow together well.

This guide is not finished, so if you have any questions that you would like to add, feel free to do so.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Living Arrow
post Mar 25 2009, 02:17 PM
Post #2

Team Rogue: Pidgeotto
Group Icon

Group: RP Moderators
Member No.: 814

PANE: Darryn Kellor

Hey!

What are the rules based upon capturing more Pokemon? PM a mod with the request?

Also, what are the limits on Pokemon capture concerning level and species? For example, on PANE we may capture a Pokemon of level equal to that of the average level of our teams. If we so desire on of higher level, we must request and make a post that details this with a lengthy battle etc. Also, some species are only available on request as they are harder to come by. For example, fossil pokemon.

Thanks in advance,

LA happy.gif

--------------------
Darryn Kellor ~ ~ PANE Moderator ~ ~ Lori Pardare
PANE Characters (click to show)
LA's Plays (click to show)

Unovalocke (click to show)
+Quote Post

Letan
post Mar 25 2009, 08:24 PM
Post #3

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Lugia Hype

QUOTE(Living Arrow @ Mar 25 2009, 03:17 PM) *
Hey!

What are the rules based upon capturing more Pokemon? PM a mod with the request?

Also, what are the limits on Pokemon capture concerning level and species? For example, on PANE we may capture a Pokemon of level equal to that of the average level of our teams. If we so desire on of higher level, we must request and make a post that details this with a lengthy battle etc. Also, some species are only available on request as they are harder to come by. For example, fossil pokemon.

Thanks in advance,

LA happy.gif

To keep things simple, we'll use the same catching setup for PANE since I like the sounds of that setup. So long as the Pokemon seems reasonable to catch in the area, it's fine. Rarer Pokemon will require RP Mod permission.

--------------------
[align=center]

=- Game Dev, currently making a game called Cursed Seasons. I tweet about it sometimes. -=
http://cursedseasons.tumblr.com/
Discord is a thing

[/align]
+Quote Post

ChroniclerC
post Mar 30 2009, 12:33 AM
Post #4

Read, or the Owl will eat you!
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 731

Whitegleam Gym

Who is more in charge of the flow of the plots (both the overarching main plot and the smaller sub-plots): the players, or the GMs/mods?

Let me be more specific.
Are the GMs/mods in charge of everything except for the PCs, or are the players in charge of nearly everything except for major NPCs?
Will conflicts be primarily Player versus Player, or will they be primarily Player versus GM/mod-controlled NPC?
If the latter, is player failure a valid outcome? And I mean more than just plot-required failures and failures caused by monumental player stupidity. Is it possible and - more importantly - acceptable for the Player Characters lose a conflict because they were outmaneuvered by NPC opponents of approximately the same level?
Is there a plan for the over-arching plotline, or is it pretty much "toss the players a setting and see what they do with it"?

--------------------

:porygon: Mine, all mine. :porygon: :noctowl: Read, or the owl will eat you! :noctowl:

[align=center]
Whitegleam Gym

Nothing "Normal" about it.[/align]
+Quote Post

Master Houndoom
post Mar 30 2009, 07:08 AM
Post #5

Team Rogue: Houndoom
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 804

Uprising Mod

I think it's going to be primarally character driven.

This post has been edited by Jaima: Mar 30 2009, 07:18 AM

--------------------
[align=center]Uprising Mod

||
Jaima Kuonji and Meiko Omura||Branwys Muphenz
[spoiler=Jaima's Gym Badges][/spoiler]
PANE

||
Jay Lange||Olivia Prewitt
Uprising

As of January 29, 2010, at approximately 7:50am CST, 2gamers helped me complete my pokedex!

:houndoom: I claim Houndoom! :houndoom: [/align]
+Quote Post

Letan
post Mar 30 2009, 08:53 AM
Post #6

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Lugia Hype

RPers can control the major NPCs, it's just that they can't do anything out of the ordinary with them, such as making the NPC decide to remove himself from the city entirely, thus removing an entire faction from the RP. If anything of that sort happens, then most likely they'll be told to change their post.

Players can control the NPCs that they fight. Failure is acceptable, since people won't really lose marks in the grade scheme. It's somewhat better if people lose some fights instead of using "god mode" and winning every single battle, since the RP Mods will probably prefer the touch of realism.

As for the plot, I might control some major things if necessary, but pretty much it's "let's throw people into this zany plot and see what happens". So far, from what I've seen in the RP profiles, this is going to be an interesting RP.

--------------------
[align=center]

=- Game Dev, currently making a game called Cursed Seasons. I tweet about it sometimes. -=
Discord is a thing

[/align]
+Quote Post

Jonahman10
post Mar 31 2009, 05:43 PM
Post #7

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 5 608

Awsome

How many Rps are allowed per character?

--------------------
My websites (click to show)

My Acomplishmnents (click to show)

A pokeplush levels up when clicked, So click it!
Click here to feed me a Rare Candy!
Get your own at Pokeplushies!
Friend's eggs

My eggs;
+Quote Post

Letan
post Mar 31 2009, 05:50 PM
Post #8

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Lugia Hype

Your character can only be in one place at a time during Uprising, but there's no limit for overall RPs. It's just that you can only do one at a time. After it's been completed and graded, you can go ahead and start another or join one that needs more players.

--------------------
[align=center]

Discord is a thing

[/align]
+Quote Post

Umbrae Calamitas
post Apr 3 2009, 02:41 AM
Post #9

Team Rogue: Espeon
Group Icon

Member No.: 5 443

Tuesday's Pack

I was just wondering... can a character have a weapon of their own, so it's not just their pokemon fighting, like a knife or something (I'm not thinking anything like a machine gun or whatever), or is this limited to something like... martial arts? Or are pokemon simply considered the extent of available weapons?

Also, is there a specific place I go to post a request to catch a pokemon, or do I just PM a mod?

Thanks!

This post has been edited by Umbrae Calamitas: Apr 3 2009, 02:45 AM

--------------------
[align=center]

UPRISING MODERATOR[/align]
+Quote Post

Letan
post Apr 3 2009, 09:53 AM
Post #10

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Lugia Hype

QUOTE(Umbrae Calamitas @ Apr 3 2009, 03:41 AM) *
I was just wondering... can a character have a weapon of their own, so it's not just their pokemon fighting, like a knife or something (I'm not thinking anything like a machine gun or whatever), or is this limited to something like... martial arts? Or are pokemon simply considered the extent of available weapons?

Also, is there a specific place I go to post a request to catch a pokemon, or do I just PM a mod?

Thanks!

Your only "weapon" that you may use is your own Pokemon. I might allow hand-to-hand combat, but this is a Pokemon RP after all, so it would be best to stick to Pokemon battles. Especially since battles get graded, your Pokemon can't gain EXP if you clobber the other trainer with your own fists.

As for catching, you can catch whatever you want as long as it seems reasonable. In terms of levels, the Pokemon's level, it is equal to the average level of your team. If you want something rare or a higher level, you must PM me or one of the other RP Mods. If you are given permission to, it is recommended that you post a lengthy description of the battle.

--------------------
[align=center]

Discord is a thing

[/align]
+Quote Post

Umbrae Calamitas
post Apr 3 2009, 01:32 PM
Post #11

Team Rogue: Espeon
Group Icon

Member No.: 5 443

Tuesday's Pack

I don't quite understand what people mean when they talk about a "shiny" pokemon. What's a shiny?

Also, is it possible to have a pokemon that is a different color from the norm? Like, with a unique marking, or something?

Thank you much.

--------------------
[align=center]

UPRISING MODERATOR[/align]
+Quote Post

Master Houndoom
post Apr 3 2009, 01:51 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Uprising Mod

QUOTE(Umbrae Calamitas @ Apr 3 2009, 01:32 PM) *
I don't quite understand what people mean when they talk about a "shiny" pokemon. What's a shiny?

On this subject, I am confident enough to answer. On the others, I am not an RP mod and will leave it to one who is.

A shiny pokémon is one that is a different color than the norm. For example, a ralts is white, with a green head crest and red horns. A shiny ralts is pinkish-white, with a light blue head crest and orangey-red horns. In the game, shinies are encountered at approxiamately 8000-to-1, and are considered rare. Their IVs used to be 30 across the board, but that has changed.

The term shiny is in reference to when they were first found, in Gold/Silver. Their sprites would have a sparkle effect around them (gold/silver were Game Boy Color compatable, but were mostely played on the game boy, which was monochrome). Not all shinies are drastically different from their original coloring. For example, pikachu is simply a darker yellow.

There are differently colored (other than shiny) pokes in the anime and other games, but they generally aren't playable/catchable.

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites.html has many pictures to compare/contrast them.

--------------------

||
PANE

||
Uprising

As of January 29, 2010, at approximately 7:50am CST, 2gamers helped me complete my pokedex!

+Quote Post

Letan
post Apr 5 2009, 01:36 PM
Post #13

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Lugia Hype

QUOTE(Umbrae Calamitas @ Apr 3 2009, 02:32 PM) *

Also, is it possible to have a pokemon that is a different color from the norm? Like, with a unique marking, or something?

Thank you much.

As for the second part of your question, no, in the Profile Template it says that you cannot have a shiny Pokemon. Unique markings such as scars for example, would be acceptable. However, a Pikachu in Darkrai's colour scheme would not be allowed.

--------------------
[align=center]

Discord is a thing

[/align]
+Quote Post

Master Houndoom
post Apr 17 2009, 01:01 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

Uprising Mod

My character has just ended his involvment in an RP, but the RP itself isn't over, nor has it been graded. Can I get involved in another RP, or will I need to wait until the grade?

This post has been edited by Jaima: Apr 17 2009, 01:03 AM

--------------------

||
PANE

||
Uprising

+Quote Post

Letan
post Apr 17 2009, 03:01 PM
Post #15

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Lugia Hype

QUOTE(Jaima @ Apr 17 2009, 02:01 AM) *
My character has just ended his involvment in an RP, but the RP itself isn't over, nor has it been graded. Can I get involved in another RP, or will I need to wait until the grade?

It is highly recommended to wait until after grading has been completed. If you have been given levels and rank EXP from the previous RP and you start a new one before knowing these, you will have no idea as to what you've gained.

--------------------
[align=center]

Discord is a thing

[/align]
+Quote Post

Master Houndoom
post Apr 18 2009, 03:48 PM
Post #16

Group Icon

Uprising Mod

Regarding pokemon moves, is it going to be anime-style, in which it's pretty much anything the pokémon could learn in the game, or game-style, limiting the moves to four per pokémon, level restricted?

--------------------

||
PANE

||
Uprising

+Quote Post

Letan
post Apr 19 2009, 06:47 PM
Post #17

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Lugia Hype

QUOTE(Jaima @ Apr 18 2009, 04:48 PM) *
Regarding pokemon moves, is it going to be anime-style, in which it's pretty much anything the pokémon could learn in the game, or game-style, limiting the moves to four per pokémon, level restricted?

Pokemon moves will be Anime-style. As long as your Pokemon can learn the attack in the game, it can use it. Pokemon will gain attacks that they learn at their respective levels, as of D/P/Pt, but there's no limit as to how many attacks your Pokemon can use. I'm iffy about giving Pokemon TM moves, but I'll allow those so long as they aren't overpowered. In the RP, you can obtain TMs anyways so later on, so long as it's reasonable, you could gain a powerful TM with an attack that might be useful for your Pokemon.

Example: A Riolu at lv. 5 cannot use Aura Sphere since it hasn't learned it yet. However, say that Riolu was a lv. 50 Lucario. That Lucario could have attacks ranging from Dragon Pulse that it learned at lv. 47 all the way to the attacks that it had earlier on, such as Foresight and Counter. Every attack up to lv. 50 would be accessible at any time, instead of forcing your Pokemon to forget a move in order to relearn an older one. As well, all TM moves that you gave it previously will remain with that Pokemon.

--------------------
[align=center]

Discord is a thing

[/align]
+Quote Post

Living Arrow
post Apr 20 2009, 02:35 AM
Post #18

Team Rogue: Pidgeotto
Group Icon

Group: RP Moderators
Member No.: 814

PANE: Darryn Kellor

Following up on that, if it is "sensible" can Pokemon have moves that they should not yet have learned?

For example, I've set up Ivy's Electrike to have Thunder Fang which it should not learn until level 33...

--------------------
Darryn Kellor ~ ~ PANE Moderator ~ ~ Lori Pardare
PANE Characters (click to show)
LA's Plays (click to show)

Unovalocke (click to show)
+Quote Post

Letan
post Apr 20 2009, 08:41 AM
Post #19

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Lugia Hype

unsure.gif Yeah, I guess I'll allow them so long as they aren't too frequent. Maybe one or two moves that are gained at further levels will be allowed.

--------------------
[align=center]

Discord is a thing

[/align]
+Quote Post

Master Houndoom
post Apr 23 2009, 11:56 AM
Post #20

Group Icon

Uprising Mod

I would like to address egg moves. I understand that psychics, since they're initially weak movewise to start with, were allowed to start with one move from their egg move pool. What about caught pokémon? Can we catch one with an egg move, or should we just stick to level moves and TMS?

For example, I plan to catch a Misdreavus which I would like to know Screech. Misdreavus can only know screech if they're bred with it. Would it be allowed, or no?

Speaking of, what of tutored moves?

--------------------

||
PANE

||
Uprising

+Quote Post

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:21 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.