Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Magic: The Gathering TCG
7eeveelutions
post May 23 2015, 12:53 AM
Post #1

Squawk!
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 58 773

PANE Team

Does anyone else here play Magic?

I played a little a few years ago but didn't own many of my own cards until about three weeks ago when I moved back into some college dorms and bought a deck, so the only kinds of cards I have are either the most recent sets (Core 2015 and Khans/Dragons of Tarkir) or stuff from a few years ago (New Phyrexia, which I think was from 2011).

Currently I only have two decks, both primarily dragons. My favorite is a Blue-White deck with lots of drakes and dragons and lots of counterspells, along with plenty of other spells that let me control what's going on (tapping opposing creatures or returning them to your hand, for instance). It's led by two copies of "Ojutai, Soul of Winter" which is a legendary blue-white dragon with 5 power/6 toughness, flying, vigilance, and a passive ability that lets me tap an opposing creature whenever any dragon I control attacks.

The other deck is a red-green-white deck with somewhat fewer dragons and spells, which mostly revolves around the Trample and Formidable abilities. Until today it had no real leader, but I bought some more cards earlier and managed to pull Dragonlord Atarka, the legendary elder dragon! He's an 8/8 with flying and trample, and whenever he hits the field he allows me to do 5 damage divided up among any number of creatures and players.

I have trouble narrowing down what cards to use in those decks, so instead of the standard 60 cards they both contain 80. This does at least make them a bit harder to mill. If anyone wants a list of the actual cards in either deck, just say so.

So, if you happen to also be a Magic player, what kinds of decks do you own?

This post has been edited by 7eeveelutions: May 23 2015, 12:54 AM

--------------------

PANE - Scott Carson
ninetales.gifumbreon.gifespeon.gifleafeon.gif
{Profile | Current Levels}
{Network Ninjas}
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Letan
post May 23 2015, 12:53 PM
Post #2

Pokémon Champion
Group Icon

Group: Advisors
Member No.: 1 219

Lugia Hype

I first got into MTG back in my first year of college, but that was also when I stopped. It was great, but it was also a maaaajor distraction, not to mention a money sink. Still super fun though.

The only deck I ran was a mono blue control deck with some cloning gimmicks. It was full of things like Mana Leak, Diminish, Unsummon, Twitch, Frost Titan, Lorthos the Tidemaker, Rite of Replication, Echo Mage, Leyline of Anticipation, Gomazoa, and Jace Beleren. I've still got all my cards sitting around, I just haven't bought anymore or played since college.

--------------------
[align=center]

=- Game Dev, currently making a game called Cursed Seasons. I tweet about it sometimes. -=
http://cursedseasons.tumblr.com/
Discord is a thing

[/align]
+Quote Post

nitrodog96
post May 23 2015, 02:17 PM
Post #3

bewm
Group Icon

From: In a burning ring of fire, channeling the power of the flames.
Member No.: 61 870

Platinum Team

I do play the game but I don't have the time or the money to go out and buy cards for Standard. If I do ever get into FNM, it'll be modern or booster draft.

tl;dr Built a cube*, in the process of refining and test-drafting it.

Until I get the money, I'll just be playing Modern.

If anyone wants a list of my Cube's cards, I'll post it.

Very honestly, my best deck currently is a Khans Temur Aggro deck. It's meant to be budget, but I could probably add my Surrak, the Hunt Caller and Yasova Dragonclaw in if it'd make sense with the deck, as well as my Thunderbreak Regent.

My other decks vary. I have a Vorel of the Hull Clade EDH**, which can also be used as a Highlander*** deck, as well as an on-and-off crappy blue/black Modern deck based around pulling out Consuming Aberration and milling.

*Cube: A list of any cards from the entire history of Magic that are chosen by one or multiple people, put together and then drafted. Sizes vary from 360 to 720 cards. Some build Pauper (commons only), Peasant (commons/uncommons), Powered (power nine - Black Lotus, Mox gems, Time Skip etc), Unpowered (any cards except power nine) or other themed Cubes including Ravnica and Mirrodin cubes.

**EDH: "Elder Dragon Highlander;" a deck made with one or more Legendary Creature cards, one of which is called the "Commander" or "General." The only cards usable in the deck are cards that share a color with the Commander; e.g. Thunderbreak Regent can't be used in a Dragonlord Ojutai deck. The deck is made up of 100 cards, and there may be no more than a single copy of any given card with the exception of basic lands.

***Highlander: A deck made of 100 cards, with no more than a single copy of any given card with the exception of basic lands.

--------------------
I used to be Cyogre, ILoveTaillowHesCute, TaillowIsCuteAndCool, Tart Spop, Tartius Spopius, Tartii, King of the Eevees and MasteroftheFlames. If you know me under any of those names, yeah, that's me.

In-Game Teams (click to show)

Hoping to get Social Networking! I'd really appreciate an add.

Arcanine! (click to show)

Miscellaneous (click to show)

Credits (click to show)

+Quote Post

7eeveelutions
post May 23 2015, 03:20 PM
Post #4

Squawk!
Group Icon

PANE Team

Until yesterday I didn't have enough cards for an EDH deck. I probably do now, but I don't really have the time to build one. Both of my decks are Modern decks.

Here's the card list for my blue/white control-dragon deck, ordered by mana cost-
...... I was bored so that's why I'm posting it. Hopefully it isn't too hard to read.

7 mana- (5 cards)
2x Ojutai, Soul of Winter (legendary creature-dragon, 5/6 flying vigilance, whenever any dragon under my control attacks I can tap an opposing creature)
2x Phyrexian Ingester (creature-beast, exiles one other creature and adds its power/toughness to its own, it's normally a 3/3)
1x Profound Journey (instant, returns target permanent from my graveyard to the battlefield, and rebounds next turn to do it again)

6 mana- (5 cards)
2x Resupply (instant, gain 6 life, draw a card)
1x Teferi, Temporal Archmage (planeswalker, main ability is to untap 4 permanents, even lands for -2 counters)
2x Pristine Skywise (creature-dragon, 6/4 flying, when I cast a noncreature spell he untaps and gets protection from the color of my choice)

5 mana- (9 cards)
2x Icefall Regent (creature-dragon, 4/3 flying, whenever it enters the battlefield I can tap one opposing creature and that creature doesn't untap for as long as Icefall remains on the field. A great control card)
2x Sunscorch Regent (creature-dragon, 4/3 flying, whenever an opponent casts ANY spell it gets a +1/+1 counter nd I gain one life. This card is amazing)
1x Bribery (sorcery, search an opponent's library for any creature card and put it on the battlefield under my control)
1x Cloudheath Drake (creature-drake, 3/3 flying, tap effect for 1 white/1 colorless- he gains vigilance for a turn)
2x Mercurial Pretender (creature-shapeshifter, copies any creature I control and can be returned to my hand for 2 blue and 2 colorless)
1x Illusory Gains (enchantment-aura, control enchanted creature, and the enchantment automatically attaches to any new creatures opponents summon giving them back their previously enchanted creature)

4 mana- (8 cards)
4x Student of Ojutai (creature-human monk, 2/4, whenever I cast a noncreature spell I gain 2 life)
2x Learn from the Past (instant, shuffle graveyard into library and draw a card)
1x Into the Void (sorcery, return two creatures to their owners hand)
1x Ojutai's Command (instant, choose two- return creature with mana cost 2 or less from my graveyard to my battlefield, gain 4 life, counter target creature spell, or draw a card)

3 mana- (18 cards)
3x Arctic Aven (creature-bird wizard, 2/1 flying, gets +1/+1 as long as I own a Plains, tap effect for 1 white- he gains lifelink)
2x Wind Drake (creature-drake, 3/3 flying)
1x Chariot of Victory (artifact-equipment, equipped creature gets first strike, trample, and haste, equip cost 1)
4x Frost Lynx (creature-elemental cat, 2/2, whens he enters the battlefield tap target creature and that creature does't untap during the next turn)
3x Ojutai Monument (artifact, taps for blue or white mana, or you can tap 1 blue, 1 white, and 4 colorless mana to turn it into a 4/4 flying dragon for one turn)
2x Fate Forgotten (instant, exile target artifact or enchantment)
1x Dissipate (instant, counter target spell and exile it if the counter was successful)
2x Rakshasa's Disdain (instant, counter target spell unless its controller pays 1 colorless for every card in my graveyard)

2 mana- (10 cards)
3x Negate (instant, counter noncreature spell)
2x Territorial Roc (creature-bird, 1/3 flying)
2x Artful Manuver (instant, target creature gets +2/+2, rebounds next turn)
1x Peace Talks (sorcery, during this turn and the next turn players can't declare an attack or cast spells/use abilities that target any player or permanent)
1x Crypsis (instant, target creature you control gain protection from creatures your opponents control for 1 turn and you may untap target creature)
1x Silumgar's Scorn (instant, counter target spell unless controller pays 1 colorless, or I can reveal a dragon card from my hand and simply counter target spell)

1 mana- (2 cards)
2x Vapor Snag (instant, return target creature to its controller's hand, that player takes 1 damage)

Land- (25 cards)
2x Tranquil Cove (blue or white, gain one life when it is played)
14x Island
9x Plains

Total- 82 cards
28 ceatures, 28 non-creature spells and artifacts, 1 planeswalker, and 25 land

The deck plays a little slow, but by using the 4 Students of Ojutai to gain life while I use the multitude of counterspells to mess up my opponents, it isn't too hard to buy enough time to get one of the four Regent Dragons out. Many of the creatures have flying too, which definitely helps. A few spells have Rebound, which means I can cast them normally once, then cast them again for no mana cost on the following turn- and gets the life benefits of Student of Ojutai both times!

Also, I really hate mill decks, which is why there are two cards to put my graveyard back into my deck and a few counterspells that get harder to counter if my graveyard is bigger.

The deck does especially well in a two-headed giant (or three-headed giant) multiplayer game, where my ally can protect me for the first few turns until I can start summoning dragons.

This post has been edited by 7eeveelutions: May 23 2015, 03:23 PM

--------------------

PANE - Scott Carson
{Network Ninjas}
+Quote Post

nitrodog96
post May 24 2015, 10:40 PM
Post #5

bewm
Group Icon

From: In a burning ring of fire, channeling the power of the flames.
Member No.: 61 870

Platinum Team

Ahaha, now that you've posted that I feel obligated to post my Cube's list. I'll, uh, be a while on this.

EDIT: Added Blue.

List (click to show)

...Holy crap, that's a lot. I don't have any time left atm but I'll add in the rest of the cards gradually.

This post has been edited by nitrodog96: May 28 2015, 08:26 PM

--------------------
I used to be Cyogre, ILoveTaillowHesCute, TaillowIsCuteAndCool, Tart Spop, Tartius Spopius, Tartii, King of the Eevees and MasteroftheFlames. If you know me under any of those names, yeah, that's me.

In-Game Teams (click to show)

Hoping to get Social Networking! I'd really appreciate an add.

Arcanine! (click to show)

Miscellaneous (click to show)

Credits (click to show)

+Quote Post

7eeveelutions
post May 25 2015, 02:43 AM
Post #6

Squawk!
Group Icon

PANE Team

So you're using Artful Maneuver too? I love that card. Used to run a full set of four in my deck, but I took some of them out to make room for other instants. I also have Kill Shot and Great Teacher's Decree in one of my other decks and I own but am not using both Glaring Aegis and Siegecraft. I'm a big noncreature spell user, if you can't tell.

As far as the creatures go, I think Student of Ojutai is the only one I currently own that you're using...... and considering I'm running a full set of 4 Students, you might be able to tell how much I like its effects. I own Suture Priest as well, and at one time had it in the Ojutai deck, but am not using it anymore.

As for my own Blue/White, I traded for a few cards and made some changes today. The three Negates are out, replaced with other counterspells that cost two mana but counter all spells (with minor drawbacks), and the two Resupplys are out as well because they're just too expensive to cast.

Replacing those cards is Archtype of Intellegence (I think), which is a small creature that gives all of my creatures flying and takes flying away from all opposing creatures- only 1 copy though. And coupled with that is Stormtide Leviathan, and 8-cost 8/8 creature with some nasty abilities- It has Islandwalk, so it can't be blocked by anyone who owns an Island land card, and it also makes every land card on the field an Island in addition to their regular type (so essentially it can't be blocked by anyone who owns land, which is essentially everyone). More importantly, it also prevents all creatures who lack either Islandwalk or Flying from attacking- and if Archtype of Intellegence takes away Flying from all opposing creatures and gives Flying to everything I own, that prettymuch is the end of the game right there.

In addition to that, I also now have in the deck the 4 cost blue white planeswalker Narset Transcendent. Her abilities are nasty- the last one gives me an emblem for -9 loyalty counters which prevents all of my opponents from casting noncreature spells, period, and her second ability allows me to give any noncreature spell I cast Rebound for -2 counters. Her first ability lets me look at the top card of my library and put it in my hand if it is a noncreature, nonland card (instant, sorcery, enchantment, or artifact) for +1. And she starts with 6 counters.

--------------------

PANE - Scott Carson
{Network Ninjas}
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:23 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.