Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

SEARCH BEFORE POSTING

Before posting ANYTHING here, LOOK AROUND FIRST! Odds are what you wish to ask or suggest or report has already been posted by another member. We do not like having to reply to the same thing over and over. The pinned threads are a great place to start!

Closed TopicStart new topic
Tab-cycling lag, tl;dr: multilinks sucks
Carefactorzero
post Feb 2 2010, 12:49 AM
Post #1

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 19 837

Active Squad

Firstly, this could be an issue related to FireFox, but as of late, I'm beginning to think it's more of a site related problem, since I'm not the only one having this problem.

Whenever I open a heap of parties and/or pokémon in a new page, then cycle through them with CTRL + tab, it takes a while to move from one tab to the next. This happens even if I want to do something simple, like hatch my eggs, which is generally 4 to 6 tabs in my case - not a lot, but just as much lag with the tab-cycling aspect.

Not only that, but sometimes there's a bit of a delay whenever you click the button/berry to warm an egg/feed a pokémon, which means having to go back and re-click whatever was missed. Closing off tabs is also laggy, with both the remove tabs add-on and CTRL + W.

It was an occasional problem in the past; only lasting a few minutes, but this has been going on for at least 2 to 3 days now. =|

Is there any possible way this can be fixed? I've tried googling several ways to try and fix it, but I've had no success.

Also, I reset all my about:config changes, just in case they were the cause, and nothing changed. The content of the pages still loads perfectly fine, however.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Big Bidoof
post Feb 2 2010, 01:39 AM
Post #2

Watching YOU
Group Icon

Group: Root Administrators
Member No.: 1

Active Squad

Well, nothing of any consequence has been changed on the site that would cause "tab-cycling lag," so it isn't anything on our end.

Have you considered that it could be related to the update to Firefox 3.6?

--------------------
"Java is to JavaScript as ham is to hamster."

+Quote Post

Rofl Copter
post Feb 2 2010, 01:40 AM
Post #3

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 43 628

Sought Shinies

@ Bidoof: If I'm not mistaken, AT uses Firefox 3.57, so the updates for 3.6 couldn't have made a difference for that.

--------------------

Doctor Octopus made this beasty thing. Go check her out!

+Quote Post

Carefactorzero
post Feb 2 2010, 01:44 AM
Post #4

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(Big Bidoof @ Feb 2 2010, 05:39 PM) *
Well, nothing of any consequence has been changed on the site that would cause "tab-cycling lag," so it isn't anything on our end.

Have you considered that it could be related to the update to Firefox 3.6?

I use version 3.5.7; 3.6 doesn't support some of the add-ons I use, so I've decided not to download it.

I've tried downgrading Firefox, and that hasn't worked for me either.

I'll give a techi a call and see if he/she knows what's going on. Until then, I'll keep searching.
+Quote Post

Big Bidoof
post Feb 2 2010, 01:59 AM
Post #5

Watching YOU
Group Icon

Active Squad

With respect to updating, you can get the Nightly Tester Tools addon to force extensions to say that they're compatible - most of the time, it's not that they aren't, and more that the dev just hasn't updated the extension to say that it is. Especially with minor updates like 3.5.x -> 3.6.

But, with respect to your problems, maybe it's then a recent update to one of your add-ons? Try running Firefox in safe mode. with Extensions disabled, and see if that helps.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Carefactorzero
post Feb 2 2010, 02:07 AM
Post #6

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Active Squad

Wow - safe mode seems to have done the trick! =O

Cheers, Bidoof!

So does this mean I need to re-install my add-ons to enable them again, or do they just re-activate on their own?
+Quote Post

Big Bidoof
post Feb 2 2010, 02:36 AM
Post #7

Watching YOU
Group Icon

Active Squad

Safe mode basically runs Firefox with stock settings, and no extensions enabled. They'll still be installed and configured as you left them when you run Firefox normally.

It's not uncommon for extensions to rape Firefox' performance or stability, really. Most of Firefox' stability issues actually stem from crappy extensions, more than the browser itself. unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Carefactorzero
post Feb 2 2010, 02:45 AM
Post #8

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(Big Bidoof @ Feb 2 2010, 06:36 PM) *
It's not uncommon for extensions to rape Firefox' performance or stability, really. Most of Firefox' stability issues actually stem from crappy extensions, more than the browser itself. unsure.gif

Thanks to this, I think I've found the answer: Multi-links

All along, the new version of multi-links has been causing the tab-lag, so I tried uninstalling it and using snaplinks 1.0.8. The difference in speed is insane!

Thanks a ton for the help, man. happy.gif

(Uh - maybe leave this open just in case something else pops up. Anything's possible with FireFox these days)
+Quote Post

Akina
post Feb 2 2010, 02:47 AM
Post #9

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 67 377

My Girl Crew

I found that the lag only existed when I used the ' Open all Pokemon in New Windows' button.

Any reason for this?

--------------------

These eggs images are all those of my brother. I am on temporary hiatus (on the main site), but still use the forums. I wanted to put my signature to good use.

+Quote Post

Carefactorzero
post Feb 2 2010, 04:18 AM
Post #10

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Active Squad

QUOTE(Rofl Copter @ Feb 2 2010, 08:05 PM) *
A note to everyone: GET THE FUCK OFF MULTILINKS. CODE RED, THIS IS A CODE RED EMERGENCY, STOP USING MULTILINKS.

But in all seriousness, yes, use Snaplinks. It makes loading speed and tab-cycling speed alot quicker.

lol. It's settled; this topic can be locked now. happy.gif

@ Cuty: I don't use that method myself, so I wouldn't know how to fix your dilemma, I'm afraid. Just give snaplinks a go and see what that does.
+Quote Post

kobwad
post Feb 2 2010, 06:33 AM
Post #11

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 16 850

Active Squad

The lag is probably caused by the new version of multi links add-on : Version 2.0.0.13. Try using version 1.0.0.12, the problem will be solved, I think.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Icicle
post Feb 2 2010, 12:36 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 18 407

Active Squad

QUOTE(kobwad @ Feb 2 2010, 06:33 AM) *
The lag is probably caused by the new version of multi links add-on : Version 2.0.0.13. Try using version 1.0.0.12, the problem will be solved, I think.

I think this has all been solved, you didn't need to really post that sealed.gif

So yeah, locking this thread. I always knew Snaplinks was better

--------------------

flight rising: IcicleKurai | Twitch: icicledust
twitter: icicledust_ | instagram: incendiary.wit
+Quote Post

Big Bidoof
post Feb 17 2010, 10:17 PM
Post #13

Watching YOU
Group Icon

Active Squad

Maybe I'll pin this for now? A number of other people could probably benefit from this being more visible.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Zaltys
post Mar 31 2010, 01:13 PM
Post #14

βακα…_〆(゜▽゜*)
Group Icon

Member No.: 80 122

Active Squad

Thank you for pinning this.
I would've never suspected MultiLinks... Uninstalling it has almost doubled my click-ratio. ^_^.gif

I still get occasional lag-spikes after ~1000 interactions, but closing and restarting Firefox fixes that.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:10 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.