Welcome Guest ( Log In · Register · Change Skins )
Global PokedeX Plus
Lab · Shelter · Main · Dex · PC · Shop · Stats · Help · Rules · Users Online · IRC Chat
GPX+ GPXPlus Forums Member Options
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Which came first?, Arceus or mew?
Flamer
post May 10 2009, 02:00 PM
Post #21

Insert whitty phrase here
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 2 757

Faves

QUOTE(Pumpkin King @ May 10 2009, 07:57 PM) *
QUOTE(AOS @ May 10 2009, 02:54 PM) *
I am tired of hearing this crap.

Just putting it as simple as possible.

About Mew is a scientific theory, and about Arceus is just a myth just like Greek mythology.

So you're telling me that you can capture Aphrodite just like you can catch a monkey? If Arceus (in the game of course) was just a myth, it wouldn't be catchable. And am I the only one who thinks that science and religion can correspond?!

No. I completly agree with you PK.

In the games, the NPCs believe Arceus to be a myth, but that doesn't mean that he is one. We, being the hero of the game, are able to learn the truth that he does actually exist. Its like in countless other RPGs

And since when has the anime or movie given us any concrete evidence regarding anything. All it seems to do is contradict the games and add to peoples confusion

--------------------

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

darkmagition
post May 10 2009, 02:44 PM
Post #22

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Group: Newbies
Member No.: 7 091

Active Squad

I think mew... its more cuter that Arcues ..... and to you the truth Arcues has an odd shape horrified.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

Pumpkin King
post May 10 2009, 02:48 PM
Post #23

Nevermore!
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 807

BLARG

QUOTE(darkmagition @ May 10 2009, 03:44 PM) *
I think mew... its more cuter that Arcues ..... and to you the truth Arcues has an odd shape horrified.gif

Appearance has absolutely nothing to do with the debate.

--------------------

Think I'm cool? Follow me on tumblr.
Banner by Liquefy
+Quote Post

Dys Tuvai
post May 10 2009, 02:51 PM
Post #24

The Sylvan Saber
Group Icon

Member No.: 9 358

Grass-Type Fanatic

Has it occured to you that perhaps the creature's existence has nothing to do with its so-called abilities?

Arceus, as a creature, exists, but that does not automatically mean that all the abilities attributed to it are also a solid fact. If that was the case, then people would still be throwing Salamanders into fire and thinking they'd survive it!

Humans are easily impressionable creatures. They see something they think is unusual or unnatural, attempt to explain it, and if they don't manage to? PRESTO. Divine intervention. If you ask me, to me it's just where people gave up thinking.

I would also like to point out that Arceus isn't the only creation myth lying around the Pokeverse. We've got the weather-trio myth about Hoenn, too, for example. Just like how there are various different mythologies on earth, there are different mythologies on the PokeMon world.

As for mew, yes, that's a THEORY that it is a common ancestor of PokeMon, but merely because they found common elements from all discovered PokeMon in its genetic code. Which is nice when you deal with pseudo-science like a lot of Gen1 did (however, they didn't really have scientific advisors and so a lot of what they wrote is complete and utter nonsense. Molecular composition of water on Vaporeon, indeed. What the hell. And do they even know what negative ions ARE?!) but when you take current research into consideration about OUR world you realize that a HELL of a lot of creatures have a lot of DNA in common. So where does that leave us?

This post has been edited by Dys Tuvai: May 10 2009, 02:55 PM

--------------------

No longer available on GPX+ for now. Don't bother clicking me. Thank you.

+Quote Post

darkmagition
post May 11 2009, 12:06 PM
Post #25

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 7 091

Active Squad

I kinda agree with Dys Tuvai

--------------------
+Quote Post

Kitten
post May 11 2009, 12:16 PM
Post #26

Cute Pokemon Lover
Group Icon

Group: +Donors
Member No.: 7 632

Can't Hug Every Cat

I don't really know..and I don't really care. XD

--------------------

+Quote Post

FalconWolf
post May 12 2009, 01:18 AM
Post #27

Green Witch
Group Icon

From: Somewhere inside my own mind, a dangerous and scary place. Enter at your own risk.
Member No.: 19 681

Green Team!

I agree that the Movies and the show constantly contradict what they put in the game. And the Movies and show contradict each other as well at times. Someone messed up somewhere.

I also agree about the different cultures and different beliefs. It makes sense that people from different areas would have different origin stories. Who's to say it happened those ways at all? It had to start somewhere, but it didn't have to be some Pokemon god that was responsible.

--------------------
~~
Thank You for visiting my party.

DC Dragons (click to show)
Quizzes (click to show)

Dragon Adopters
+Quote Post

Gati
post May 12 2009, 08:32 PM
Post #28

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 2 056

Active Squad

QUOTE(Pumpkin King @ May 10 2009, 11:57 AM) *
So you're telling me that you can capture Aphrodite just like you can catch a monkey? If Arceus (in the game of course) was just a myth, it wouldn't be catchable. And am I the only one who thinks that science and religion can correspond?!

It's just a game, just another Pokémon to fill your Pokédex. Hell I don't know, just like I wrote before, "Satoshi-san (creator of Pokémon, Satoshi Tajiri) is the one who will decide, and maybe reveal it in the future, or in the upcoming movie." My point, we can all make theories and hints and so on, but just like the 2nd generation remakes, the creators of the franchise will decide and reveal it to the public.

And no, you're not the only one.

--------------------
[spoiler=GTS+PL Badges][align=center] [/spoiler][/align]
+Quote Post

Chrona
post May 15 2009, 09:31 AM
Post #29

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 7 052

Active Squad

Mew was always theorized to be the first pokemon, and that it had all the DNA and all. Arceus is a myth that honestly speaking, makes no sense. It's said that he shaped the universe with his thousand arms. First of all, shaped =/= created, Mew could have just been floating around in the glob before he decided to make Arceus. Second, where are these "Thousand arms"? I don't see them. Why can it not learn TMs like Mega Punch?

The fact that this DNA thing is present in the latest pokedex (Which Arceus is also in) is proof enough that Mew came first

--------------------

<-- Click here to join TPPA, an online Pokemon RPG =D
+Quote Post

misa acar
post May 15 2009, 10:07 AM
Post #30

THE worthless blobb
Group Icon

Member No.: 8 886

dream team

Acreus can be a god, but mew came first(and is better)!

--------------------
All events eggs! Help them hatch!
---------

My Pokemon (click to show)
+Quote Post

Dys Tuvai
post May 15 2009, 02:12 PM
Post #31

The Sylvan Saber
Group Icon

Member No.: 9 358

Grass-Type Fanatic

No creation myths really make any sense. That's why they're so fascinating.

Arceus's myth is based off the Chinese myth of Pangu, the being that hatched out of the cosmic egg (which appeared from the swirling shapeless chaos before it), and separated the basic principles of Yin and Yang, fashioning them into the earth and the sky. (Supplemented by Time and Space in the Arceus Myth). After that he supposedly died and his body became various aspects of the world (Arceus did not die, but it did vanish off somewhere). The split into two and then into three is also a trend that appears in assorted eastern myths.

Arceus might actually also be a reference to Avalokiteśvara - which in Buddhism is either pictured with eleven heads and one thousand arms (the latter of which is mentioned in Arceus's flavor text) or in a white four-armed manifestation.

As for where its arms are now, it lost them in the process. Now it's Mostly Armless. (rimshot)

And as for Mew: The only generation so far that stated that scientists think it's an ancestor of PokeMon is the latest one. Before that entries claimed only that it has the genetic code of all pokemon - which is why it can learn every different move. However, as far as dex entries, a lot of Pure, Grade A Tauros-Excrement was carried overfrom Gen 1. Vaporeon is a splendid example. Cell composition being similar to water molecules. I'm sorry but these people don't know fuck about BASIC biology so I can't take them seriously. It's like they weren't even TRYING to make sense, and just used big words because it makes them sound cool.

It doesn't. It really doesn't.

... But why are we debating this anyway? Mew came first, because PokeMon is a fictional franchise created by people, and these people created Mew first. Only later when they ran out of ideas they came up with Arceus. XD

This post has been edited by Dys Tuvai: May 16 2009, 03:02 PM

--------------------

No longer available on GPX+ for now. Don't bother clicking me. Thank you.

+Quote Post

thebomb99
post May 15 2009, 02:14 PM
Post #32

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 22 061

Active Squad

Mew

--------------------
+Quote Post

Kashizzle
post May 23 2009, 06:36 AM
Post #33

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 10 940

Active Squad

The way I see it, is that Arceus, Dialga, and Palkia are more like dieties, more than regular pokemon. Mew is considered a legendary because it's one-of-a-kind and is powerful.

I reckon that Mew was the first regular pokemon created, and is the being from which all other regular pokemon evolved from, or something. Maybe even some legendaries evolved from Mew..

--------------------

Current Party:

I'll try to match you click-for-click
+Quote Post

AquaFae
post Jun 3 2009, 10:39 PM
Post #34

Faery de Aquatica
Group Icon

Member No.: 19 155

Uber Epic

Pokemon is full of contradictions, really...

--------------------

+Quote Post

xXseleneXx
post Jun 3 2009, 11:22 PM
Post #35

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 14 666

Luffs <3

Mew.
<3

--------------------

azelf.gif

Quests (click to show)

Quiz (click to show)

mesprit.gif jirachi.gif uxie.gif phione.gif manaphy.gif
+Quote Post

Osiris6
post Jun 6 2009, 04:20 PM
Post #36

Guardian of Silver Island
Group Icon

Member No.: 25 738

Dream Team

i think Mew came first...because its 1st gen and because it could probably exist without a universe...

--------------------

Respect my Conglomerate!

^^^^Awesome sprites by Sapphire Phoenix
+Quote Post

Usagi Zakura
post Jun 6 2009, 04:35 PM
Post #37

Gym Leader
Group Icon

Member No.: 30 763

Team Awesome

Mew.
Consider this: Mew is one of two pokčmon who knows transform and can thus change into every other pokčmon, so for all we know, what if Arceus in fact WAS a Mew, who transformed into into a god-like creature, ever other pokčmon can also be transformed/Evolved from the original Mew's children, but most of them, including Arceus lost their transformation ability over time (perhaps from staying in a form too long? Like the Animorphs? cat.gif)
Also taken into consideration the myths and all that, Mew is a pretty playful Pokčmon, and since humans also supposedly evolved from them Mew may have been able to transform into a human too (doesn't another legendary do that? Latias or Latios I think? Never really saw that movie:B) and made up the whole myth about Arceus, Dialga and Palkia for the lulz, and then had some of its children transform into it to "confirm" the myth. yourmove.gif

--------------------

Uxie uxie.gif Anitarig giratina.gif Daisuke infernape.gif Weasley floatzel.gif Sceptile sceptile.gif Rika raichu.gif

+Quote Post

Kisshu
post Jun 10 2009, 01:10 AM
Post #38

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 21 294

Heart Gold Team

Mew, 1st gen. came first. srsfacts.gif

--------------------
You know you wanna wink.gif
Click all & all be clicked

Hopefully, my dream bird will come, someday.
---------------------------------------
+Quote Post

Sire
post Jun 10 2009, 07:29 PM
Post #39

Pokémon Trainer
Group Icon

Member No.: 29 410

Active Squad

I'd argue that it depends on which of the writers you ask, actually. With each season/gen/ect, all of the people behind the scenes changed. Those who worked there first layed down that mew was the oldest pokemon, and those working in the 4th gen layed down that Arceus was older than the universe.

Which gives us a couple different options:

1. The writers who wrote in Arceus were full of nonsense, and didn't check their facts.

2. Arceus isn't truely a pokemon, so is older than mew, but mew's the first pokemon.

3. There were a lot of pokemon existing before the universe- and thus anything else, could exist, and being trippy and the like, so mew was around FIRST, but Arceus is really frakking old.

4. The writers were hoping no one would check.

--------------------
You just helped my pokemon level. By loading the page. Thank you, Arcanine loves you, even when he's not out. I click back, hint. <3
+Quote Post

somnivore
post Jun 10 2009, 10:56 PM
Post #40

Super high-level high school fanfic author!
Group Icon

Member No.: 32 575

GymLeaderDreamParty

Mew was born of the Nothing that surrounded Arceus's egg when the egg broke and the Nothing was punctured. Mew and Arceus were born at the same time, because of that. Together (or maybe not, perhaps Mew was just minding his own business) they created thebeings of Space, Time and Dimensions. After the Dragons (and thus after spatial and chronological dimensions, and their counterparts) came Weather: Earth, Sea, and the Sky. Volcanoes came into existance around this time as well, and the Guardian of Volcanoes was born to protect them.

Now, a World with nothing on it would be fairly boring, so Mew and Arceus decided to create beings. However, they knew that without Willpower, Thought and Emotion, the beings would be useless; thus Azelf, Uxie and Mesprit were created from the same egg. Mew had grand ideas for the World. Being the Ancestor of All Pokémon, he knew just how to create them, but he didn't have the strength to do so, even combined with the power of Arceus... they needed a Wish, and thus Jirachi was born.

Jirachi's Wish allowed Mew and Arceus to create a being from which they could create a Double of any being they created, meaning they only had to create half as many as they would have needed to otherwise. The unique properties of this being meant that it could divide itself indefinitely. Mew could also Transfrom himself, but only long enough to allow the new being to create two of the transformation.

Soon, the World was populated with many beings, but some were more powerful than others. The Dogs and Birds stood out above all the other beings, and they were unruly and proud because of this. Arceus saw the need to impose order on the Dogs, and thus created their Masters, the Guardians of the Sky and Sea. The Birds, however, were willing to comply with Arceus's demands, and thus they were given no Master but Mew.

By this time, Dialga was becoming tired of keeping Time straight. Arceus and Mew took pity on him and thus Celebi, his helper, was created.

This is also the time that Mew decided that new beings were needed in the World. He proposed his idea to Arceus, how initially refused, but eventually agreed. Thus, humans were created. Because of the humans' Willpower, Thoughts and Emotions, Dreams (and thus, Nightmares) were born as well.

The humans co-existed with the beings that had been placed there before them, treating them as equals. Because they were peaceful, they called them pocket monsters, and many of the ones that lived close to the humans were small enough to fit in a pocket.

However, things soon turned bad. Even with the guidance of Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf, the humans soon turned violent. Their conflicting beliefs almost led them to destroy the World and its order, but Giratina created the Distortion World to protect them from themselves.

Soon after this War, the being of Gratitude was born from the humans' apologetic feelings. The War had advanced the humans' society, though. The now knew how to mine things from the Ground and fashion things from Ice and Iron. Because of these Elements' importance, they were given Guardians, and the Guardians were given a King, because Mew and Arceus were busy repairing the damage to the World and the Distortion World.

Meanwhile, the Dogs had been behaving themselves, and so Mew and Arceus allowed them to give the humans a gift. Raikou chose to give the humans electricity. Not wanting to be outdone, Suicune gave them the ability to refine water and create electricity with it. Entei was also jealous and allowed the humans to harness fire's power... and create electricity with it. Ho-oh and Lugia also gave gifts: precious, rare metals, and beautiful prisms and crystals.

The humans were happy with the Dogs' gifts, and the gifts of their Masters. They created things that used the electricity they were given. However, some of the humans still harbored ill feelings for the pocket monsters-- the Pokémon, as the name had been contracted to. From these feelings sprung a Ghost that could possess some of the things they had made. The Ghost was named Rotom, the reverse of the word for the item called motor.

walloftext.gif 8D
And that's the end lol. PM me if you need help identifying/want to know the Capitalized Pokémon.
Actually, I think I'll keep writing this and post it all on my FanFiction.net account... It's Heinakuu.

--------------------

add me to your pal pad for daily clicks!
hablo un poco de espańol & je parle un petit peu de français!

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:01 AM
All content and images ©2007-2015 GPX.Plus and Shiny New Software, LLC. Powered By IPB 2.3.1 © 2024 IPS, Inc.
Optimal viewing in the latest version of Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, 1024x768+.